• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who do you think is the least popular Pokemon?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One of the ways kids could vote for that poll was during the show, when you voted an alphabetical list would come up---quite a few of those random high-ranking Pokemon are likely that high because their Japanese names begin with the katakana for "A", and thus some kids probably just picked one of the first options. That explains Pokemon such as Beautifly (Agehunt), Armaldo, Ekans (Arbo), Arbok, Meditite (Asanan), and Durant (Aianto) ranking higher than you'd think.

gbland

Dunsparce. It needs to die.

250px-206Dunsparce.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just chiming in, it's not a popularity poll per se. More like which mons you like to see in a special distribution for the movie. Yes, popularity may have some hand in it, but ultimately not the sole factor. There's a reason why a bunch of Legendaries are near the top 10, Arceus in particular in top 2. And Archeops getting high is due to the tv game thing where his name pops up first.

I mean, if it was a popularity thing, they'd actually put a survey and consider the gender differences like how Japan does with popularity scores.

Now this is just trash

Running out of ideas? Put hands all over IT
You say that yet it's ironically one of the most creative things the series had shat out.

but it's like, Ominym, see, this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. yeah, Barbaracle is just hands. Some intern probably got idiot's block or something and couldnt think of an idea and just put hands on a Pokemon. That's what Barbaracle is.

PollClusterWjuv.jpg

Nature must have ran out of ideas and decided to create a barnacle that looked like a bunch of hands. pfft, lazy nature.

That's what I meant last page when I was getting into my whole 'unmerited opinion' schtick. I don't think it's wrong or bad to think that Barbaracle's design is ugly as sin, or even that it's a bad design because it's ugly (although I love him for it). but it's a whole nother thing to insinuate that a design is lazy, or uninspired, or straight up stupid, when it turns out you're not even aware of that Pokemon's design inspirations or its realworld/folkloric basis to begin with. which happens often.
Like if someone who had somehow never seen a duck before, trashed Psyduck's design because "it's pikachu with a ping pong paddle for a face! runnin out of ideas m8"... Personally I think that Barbaracle is one of the more clever Gen VI Pokemon. It's just a loose coalition of goose barnacles that aren't even neurologically linked. They all just take orders from the big one in the middle because it's the toughest. When this design first leaked I sure as hell didn't like it but I gained an appreciation for it after seeing its goofy ass animations and after coming to understand what it was.

And honestly I love Barbaracle because it IS ugly. As should a Pokemon based on barnacles should be. Not everything should be cute or badass. Barbaracle is ugly and badass.

Boss Doggie

there is no such thing as overdesigned Digimon

again I stated before, eventually Digimon goes either husbando, waifu or mecha, very occasionally a combination of two

I think you guys are confused, half of these are notorious, and therefore discussed fairly frequently. The least popular Pokemon would be one no one talks about ever. My guess is no starters, legendaries, mega evolved or "looks like a thing" Pokemon. My guess is Relincanth.

Because he doesn't evolve, he's got a weird typing, and honestly who gives a fuck, Relincanth?

250px-369Relicanth.png

Boss Doggie

Also I realized how easy the thread went out on a tangent. Least popular suddenly going for most hated, even going as far as saying Klefki (loved by competitive community and has fans for its "irony" concept), Garbador, Vanilluxe (already are infamous so they can't be least popular), and the like.

Also remember, if you shit on Stunfisk

%E5%86%99%E7%9C%9F-12-04-24-12-45-43.jpeg

Stunfisk laughs at you while it flops on pokedollars

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimic_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

A creature that looks like a Pokeball makes sense for an RPG game where the overworld items are represented by Pokeball sprites.

Don't shit on Voltorb without realizing it has a gameplay purpose.

You mean like the Pokemon that shits on the concept of Mimics?

Amoongus does the whole gimmick much better out of tongue-and-cheek than that ball of electric shit.

I think you guys are confused, half of these are notorious, and therefore discussed fairly frequently. The least popular Pokemon would be one no one talks about ever. My guess is no starters, legendaries, mega evolved or "looks like a thing" Pokemon. My guess is Relincanth.

Because he doesn't evolve, he's got a weird typing, and honestly who gives a fuck, Relincanth.
250px-369Relicanth.png

Wouldn't people remember it for doing that really, really frustrating side quest in RS?

Boss Doggie

Good point, I guess I didn't get that far in ORAS so the mental block stayed true.

Then again you are probably right since back then I never knew of the quest and had to look up a guide for it, and I heard people nearly miss Regis for that. Weirdest "use real life reference to solve things" in Pokemon.

JoeM86

Just chiming in, it's not a popularity poll per se. More like which mons you like to see in a special distribution for the movie. Yes, popularity may have some hand in it, but ultimately not the sole factor. There's a reason why a bunch of Legendaries are near the top 10, Arceus in particular in top 2. And Archeops getting high is due to the tv game thing where his name pops up first.

I mean, if it was a popularity thing, they'd actually put a survey and consider the gender differences like how Japan does with popularity scores.

To be fair, they didn't initially announced that it was a distribution thing. It was pushed as popularity above all else.

Yrael

Here's the top 100

You do know that each generation's Pokédex isn't every single Pokémon. Usually there's ~200 Pokémon missing overall in each game.

Removing forever is just ridiculous and having designs altered is silly too. There is absolutely no reason to permanently remove any Pokémon.

Glaceon and Leafeon ranked above Espeon and Umbreon? I didn't expect that.

ffdgh

Jolteon and Vaporeon are the only eeveeloutions that didn't make the list...Heck I'm surprised flareon is more popular than those 2

Top Bottom