• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who do you think is the least popular Pokemon?

Village

So there's this Pokemon none of you remember named Lumineon right?
250px-457Lumineon.png

Well surprise there's a baby Lumineon named Finneon that you've probably never even seen.
250px-456Finneon.png

Huntail. Remember Huntail?

250px-367Huntail.png

Of course not. No one does.

These easily

MrBadger

Oh. No. I'm sorry. I was wrong. It's not Jynx.

463.png

Lickitung is the only Pokemon in the entire series that appears to evolve directly INTO it's babby form. What the fuck mayne

This would be my answer. It's such a bad design...actually looks weaker than the Pokemon it evolves from.

Its evolution is even more forgettable.

250px-421Cherrim-Overcast.png
No way dude, Cherrim is one of the more memorable garbage Gen IV gimmick Pokemon. It was all over the place because of the amazing gameplay mechanic of getting stronger in Sunny Day before Diamond and Pear launched.

I didn't like Gen IV. Garbage forgettable gimmick Pokemon, garbage forgettable non gimmick Pokemon, some terrible evolutions that ruined old good Pokemon, and Bronzong. I guess we got Lucario and Tangrowth.

Avalugg is great. Most of the Gen IV evos besides Probopass (racist) and Magmortar (what) are great. Togekiss especially is great.

Do you people actually like Pokemon

Mista Koo

It has to be a Pokemon people don't remember/recognize, from those mentioned in this thread these are the top contenders:

auJkQRf.png
Fbzmht2.png
tr8OJJP.png
36W4JIP.png
knF6xJw.png
P3lqMRk.png

Maractus - Basculin - Finneon - Elgyem - Barboach - Tynamo

The first two are stronger contenders since they don't evolve into something more memorable/identifiable as opposed to the rest. Heck Maractus was the first thing that came to mind:
I heard its name, who?
I heard it was a cactus Pokemon (that wasn't Cacnea/Cacturne), who?
I saw how it looks, WHO??

Dewgong. I straight up forgot he was a Pokemon when I replayed Yellow on the 3DS. Some NPC asks to trade you one, and I checked online to see if it was some sort of trick. Looking at him again for the first time in nearly 20 years, I can see why I forgot he existed.

Red Fire

What?? Avalugg is a great design and an awesome pokemon. Those who don't recognise him probably didn't play X and Y.

Dewgong. I straight up forgot he was a Pokemon when I replayed Yellow on the 3DS. Some NPC asks to trade you one, and I checked online to see if it was some sort of trick. Looking at him again for the first time in nearly 20 years, I can see why I forgot he existed.

How can you forget the first pokemon in the pokemon league! Did you just play the league once and leave the game like that?

Red Fire

tumblr_nn1nznruW41s9gsm7o1_r5_500.gif

As someone who is pretty okay with most of the Pokemon people find ugly, and likes to thing they know all of them, I genuinely forgot this Pokemon exists.

I totally agree. I mean i don't dislike it or anything but this has to be the most forgettable one, i can't think of any other and i have read through the whole thread.

Anura

I thought this was fake until I looked it up.

I also want to say this thing:

When I first saw it I thought it was some fan made derpy pile of rock feces. It wasn't until I kept seeing art with it that it was an actual Pokémon.

Heatran is awesome

Someone posted a Tangela evolution in this thread and I legit didn't know Tangela had an evolution. I've played every game. Some of the fish pokemon I'm kinda leery on if I remember them or if they are just so generic I'm not sure, but that Tangela evolution I just did not remember, and still don't outside of the picture in this thread.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thing is are we asking least popular as:
Least liked?
Least known?
Most forgotten?

If we started off with zero points for every Pokémon and they gained a point for each person who liked them and lost a point for each person who didn't like them the forgotten 'mon may just sit on zero points while as actual disliked Pokémon like Charizard could end up on -635 points.

L Thammy

Avalugg is great. Most of the Gen IV evos besides Probopass (racist) and Magmortar (what) are great. Togekiss especially is great.

Okay, this one is new to me. What's Probopass supposed to be that's racist? I thought it was a combination of hat-wearing Moai and iconic comedian Groucho Marx.

Will agree that Magmortar is terrible though. Magmar evolves from a kind of awkward attempt at a cute duck to a weird Disney-esque duck to some kind of fat evil clown with a Mega Man arm cannon/

woopWOOP

Fine, I'll give it a try. Probably easier than using Google Trends.
Hard evidence that L Thammy has no life below:
Oh man, how long did this take you?
These end results are kind of neat however. Funny how quite a few of the bottom tiers correspond to the answers in this thread.

Also I'll take this as fact that Maractus is not a total nobody, hooray!

If ever there was a Pokémon that Game Freak ever wanted to take back and erase from the series, it's probably Jynx.

And Raichu. Can't forget Raichu.

Denzar

Haven't played a Pokémon game since Ruby on the GameBoy Advance and I tought I'd chime in. I scrolled through the thread and saw a shitload of Pokémon I hadn't seen before. All I can say is:

what.
the.
fuck.

Magnezone is a pretty damn unlikable creation. The only thing that ruins it's unknown-ness is its appearance on the Stadium-stage in Smash Bros.

250px-462Magnezone.png

I was really pissed when I learned this was an evolution of Magneton.... Just a couple months ago.

If by some bizarre chance I get the opportunity to make a Pokemon movie, the first Pokemon to appear on-screen will be Garbodor.

Magnezone is a pretty damn unlikable creation. The only thing that ruins it's unknown-ness is its appearance on the Stadium-stage in Smash Bros.

250px-462Magnezone.png

I was really pissed when I learned this was an evolution of Magneton.... Just a couple months ago.

IMO, that one is on par with Magneton.

Haven't played a Pokémon game since Ruby on the GameBoy Advance and I tought I'd chime in. I scrolled through the thread and saw a shitload of Pokémon I hadn't seen before. All I can say is:

what.
the.
fuck.

They're called Pokemon y'all. You know, no offense, but you guys really don't need to point out that you haven't played Pokemon in 10+ years, lol. The reactions say enough, that you may have forgotten about how strange and varied Pokemon designs can be and have been since day one, which I chalk up to low exposure, and sometimes nostalgia for a particular set of designs. but I bet if you hadn't played Ruby and I showed you a picture of Tropius, you'd be all like

a flying tree dinosaur growing banana out of its chin,
what.
the.
fuck.

latest

and then there's Hariyama hoo boy

Ominym

Banned
They're called Pokemon y'all. You know, no offense, but you guys really don't need to point out that you haven't played Pokemon in 10+ years, lol. The reactions say enough, that you may have forgotten about how strange and varied Pokemon designs can be and have been since day one, which I chalk up to low exposure, and sometimes nostalgia for a particular set of designs. but I bet if you hadn't played Ruby and I showed you a picture of Tropius, you'd be all like

a flying tree dinosaur growing banana out of its chin,
what.
the.
fuck.

latest

and then there's Hariyama hoo boy

It's almost like people are allowed to have different opinions than yours.

If by some bizarre chance I get the opportunity to make a Pokemon movie, the first Pokemon to appear on-screen will be Garbodor.

IMO, that one is on par with Magneton.

Magneton isn't especially imaginative, but at least he looks somewhat cool in a hive-mind robot kind-of-way. And consistent with Magemite.

This thing doesn't look familiar enough with it's family except for the two eyes and magnets. It has an extraordinary ugly shape, a weird face and a silly yellow antenna.

It's almost like people are allowed to have different opinions than yours.
I know. It's terrible. Can't stand it.

It's almost like I'm allowed to point out why I think some opinions are less merited than others. whooooooaaaaa. i'm pretty good at responding to non-responses so if you've got any more for me that'd be just great

Ominym

Banned
I know. It's terrible. Can't stand it.

It's almost like I'm allowed to point out why I think some opinions are less merited than others. WHOOOOOOOOOA. i'm pretty good at responding to non-responses so if you've got any more for me that'd just be great

You don't need to point it out, the reactions say enough.

That's what's great about art and design, anyone can critique it and their opinion isn't less valid than yours regardless of how much they play, or don't play the games.

Condescending retorts over Pokemon art, now I've seen it all.

That's what's great about art and design, anyone can critique it and their opinion isn't less valid than yours regardless of how much they play, or don't play the games.

I'm not sure that I agree with that, at least not universally. And there's still context to every opinion, I've never been an advocate for just handwaving that away like all conclusions were constructed equally. It would be one thing if people in these sorts of threads came forward with a substantiated, or shit, just specific design critique against these monsters besides 'what the fuck is that' or 'why is it x object or x animal'. like even just every now and then.

My intention wasn't to police the thread or anything like that although in retrospect I'm coming dangerously close to that. So I'll consider what you've said and back off a bit. I just got a sore spot when it comes to lapsed players and people with little to no frame of reference taking the piss where Pokemon designed are concerned.

gardfish

I'm convinced it's gotta be Chingling.

250px-433Chingling.png

Baby form of a Pokemon that didn't need a baby Pokemon and isn't even as cute as its evolved form.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Togekiss is the perfect way to ruin a line, even worse than Braixen to Delphox. Gen 4 has a lot of hideous evolutions, like Electivire, Lickilicky (also one of the most ridiculous names ever) and Tangrowth (poor Tangela didn't deserve this fate). To make it worse most of them have awful methods of evolution, mixing trading with collecting very specific items that are hard to find and only work for a single Pokemon.

Gen 4 had some cool stuff, like the Eeveelutions and nice new stages for a bunch of gen 2 creatures, but there were many silly or ugly things too. I don't have anything against Sudowoodo, but c'mon, who asked for its baby stage? Or Mime Jr.?

Someone posted a Tangela evolution in this thread and I legit didn't know Tangela had an evolution. I've played every game. Some of the fish pokemon I'm kinda leery on if I remember them or if they are just so generic I'm not sure, but that Tangela evolution I just did not remember, and still don't outside of the picture in this thread.
I only learned about these gen 4 evolutions when I played Platinum last year, that's how irrelevant they are in the single player part of the games (can't speak for the competitive scene). They weren't mentioned at all in any of the gen 6 games. It doesn't help that evolving their previous stages is a pain in the ass.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Magmortar for the first time in 2015. Magnezone was kinda cool though, he kicked my ass so hard that he quickly gained my respect.

Ominym

Banned
I'm not sure that I agree with that, at least not universally. And there's still context to every opinion, I've never been an advocate for just handwaving that away like all conclusions were constructed equally.

My intention wasn't to police the thread or anything like that although in retrospect I'm coming dangerously close to that. So I'll consider what you've said and back off a bit. I just got a sore spot when it comes to lapsed players and people with little to no frame of reference taking the piss where Pokemon is concerned, is all.

That's cool, I get where you're coming from. I think (hope) that most in this thread are evaluating the designs based on their own merit rather than some Gen. 1 > All bias. But perhaps I'm giving too much benefit of the doubt.

That's cool, I get where you're coming from. I think (hope) that most in this thread are evaluating the designs based on their own merit rather than some Gen. 1 > All bias. But perhaps I'm giving too much benefit of the doubt.

all in all I'm probably just being too aggressive/defensive. I happen to like a whole lot of Pokemon that are reviled for whatever reason (in fact I have a particular soft spot for deliberately hideous Pokemon) and too often I find those reasons to be lacking. but that's just me, I guess.

Whatever Pokemon I don't see often in the games is what makes them so forgettable. I mean, if like only one trainer in the entire game as a Pokemon and you hardly ever see them in the wild (specific area or a rare chance of appearing), then people are gonna go through the whole game without ever filling their Pokedex slot.

Some like Basculin and Maractus I remember because I'm sure there were a few trainers carrying them and they weren't too rare in the wild. But then you go through the whole game of Ruby/Sapphire never running into a trainer with Huntail or Gorebyss, they don't appear in the wild, and the only way to get them is to trade a Clamperl with a special item. It's kinda annoying when there isn't much exposure like that. Another one is Pokemon that you don't see at all till like the 7th gym (Bergmite comes to mind).

jman2050

If ever there was a Pokémon that Game Freak ever wanted to take back and erase from the series, it's probably Jynx.

And Raichu. Can't forget Raichu.

It's amazing how easy it is to forget that Pikachu even has an evolution with how emphasized his mascot status is.

Top Bottom