• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who had the better year in gaming? Playstation or Xbox?

Who had the better year in gaming?

• Total voters

Three

Depends if we're talking about the publisher or on their system. If publisher I would say MS. If system I would say Sony. FF16, Spiderman 2 and BG3 were some high quality games for PS5 compared to redfall, starfield, FM but they're not published by Sony. As a publisher Sony did very little this year outside of Spiderman 2. I assumed from the original post you're talking about the system.

Last edited:

Roberts

I think Xbox had a pretty good year. Starfield is my GOTY, Hi Fi Rush was amazing, I had a brief fun with FM even though games like this don't interest me at all. Them finding a way to get both AoE 2 and 4 to be playable on controller was great. Quake 2 new stuff is great. I even completed Redfall after it was patched. Sea of Thieves (fucking Monkey Island crossover, damn) and Grounded updates made both games even better than they already were. They didn't have many timed exclusives this year but Planet of Lana is one of the very few great Inside-type games not made by guys who made inside. Ravenlok was a very cute indie and I really liked The Last Case of Benedict Fox despite glaring tech and gameplay issues when it came out (got fixed soon after).

Dr. Suchong

Gr5isRa.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox easily. Started 2024 with a banger in hi fi rush, Starfield is awesome and forza has great on track racing.

Sony slept at the wheel with just spiderman. An great game I will hold in high regard for years like a hulk ultimate destruction but nothing more when ypu break ot down to its fundamentals. Its a fun comic book romp.

But, the reality is that gaming isn't those two brands and PC, nintendo and even Meta have had a stronger year than both of them.

Xbox had HiFi Rush, Redfall, Starfield and Forza as first party exclusives while Sony had Spider-Man 2 and a DLC (Burning Shores). My vote will have to go to MS here although if you add FXVI and Forspoken (lol) in the mix (3rd party timed exclusive), and also the PSVR2 stuff things def get more even.

But like others have said, Nintendo trumps them both this year with the sheer amount of quality games they've put out so far: SMB Wonder, Zelda TotK, Metroid Prime Reamastered, XC3 Future Redeemed, Pikmin 4, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem Engage.

Tl:dr Nintendo > Microsoft ≥ Sony.

Last edited:

Spyxos

I didn't like Spiderman 2 too much and i haven't played ff 16 yet, so Xbox. I didn't like Starfield on Xbox either, but High Fi Rush was great. Forza no idea, I don't really like racing games but it looked alright.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Xbox easily. Started 2024 with a banger in hi fi rush, Starfield is awesome and forza has great on track racing.

Sony slept at the wheel with just spiderman. An great game I will hold in high regard for years like a hulk ultimate destruction but nothing more when ypu break ot down to its fundamentals. Its a fun comic book romp.

But, the reality is that gaming isn't those two brands and PC, nintendo and even Meta have had a stronger year than both of them.
The future is now, old man.

splattered

Xbox and not even close... Not that what Sony put out was bad at all, Xbox just put out way more content. Xbox closed the abk deal but MW3 was apparently weak... Sony put out psvr2 but game support has really sucked for it so far. They've both had a lot of missteps but like I said Xbox put out a lot more content so my vote goes to Xbox.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
We're not in the business of out console-ing Sony or out console-ing Nintendo. There isn't really a great solution or win for us. And I know that will upset a ton of people.

Neither really, I thought they both sucked to a degree. PSVR2 continues to a non-focus for Sony and they didn't really release anything of note outside of Spiderman 2 which is alright, nothing amazing. I'm not counting third party exclusives like FFXVI and even if I did it wouldn't help them, the game was a waste of time in my opinion.

Xbox released Redfall and Starfield which had more a hit to their reputation than anything else, Starfield being exceptionally disappointing as everyone and their dog knew that Redfall was going to stink. They also released Forza which came and went but again wasn't anything special. They also released Hi-Fi Rush which was supposedly very good, but I never got around to it.

Not really sure why you didn't include Nintendo, unless of course you were concerned that by doing that it would easily go to them? Nintendo released Tears of the Kingdom and Mario Wonder and also have Mario RPG dropping this week. I'm not even a massive fan of Nintendo but it's easy to see that they take it this year without much competition. They also released Metroid Prime Remastered but I won't include that as it's a remaster.

Edit: I really want to see how people thought Playstation had a good year. I think it has been one of their worst years in a long time. Released an OK sequel (Spider Man 2) and basically nothing else.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So far as a platform? Playstation because BG3 is better than anything on Xbox. By the end of the year when BG3 comes out on Xbox? Probably Xbox because Sony had what, 2 games? By the end of the year, Xbox is supposed to have BG3 as well though.

If we're talking as a publisher, Xbox since they had Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, and Forza. That's certainly better than Spider-Man on its loneseome. Oh, I forgot Burning Shores.

Not really a contest, all Sony had was baseball (which is also on Xbox) and a sequel to Batman err I mean Spider-Man. MS meanwhile had numerous new IPs and quality games. I didn’t buy a single thing on my PS5 this year outside of Street Fighter 6.

Of course, Nintendo smoked them both.

Fbh

Neither had an amazing year, this year was mostly about third parties and Nintendo.

That said probably Xbox? Stuff like Hi Fi Rush and Starfield appeal more to me than Spider Man which was kind of the only thing Sony had going for them (I guess FFXVI too but that's a third party timed exclusive)

Mowcno

Redfall, Forza and Starfield all were overshadowed by different degrees of negativity in one way or another. MS had the releases this year. They just didn't hit the mark with them.

PlayStation this year was a big drought but at least when they did release something they hit the mark yet again.

Now if we move past first party lineup well it's clear who had the better year. Xbox hardware sales are down YoY and PS5 sales are flying and on course for the highest ever sales in a fiscal year for a PS console.

killatopak

My only question. Do all the Sony voters own an xbox?
If they own a PC, that kinda counts.

TBH I haven’t played a single Sony game this year so Xbox got my vote simply for Starfield which I actually have.

If you count 3rd party exclusives then I would swing back to Sony. I’ve played FFXVI, and Honkai Star Rail. Haven’t played BG3 but I’m planning to due to glowing reviews.

The real winner here is actually Nintendo. A ton of releases and all critically acclaimed to boot.

Boss Mog

PlayStation, but neither were great in my opinion, as I was disappointed in both FFXVI and Spider-man 2. My GOTY isn't an exclusive, it's Phantom Liberty + Update 2.0.

Humdinger

Poll needs a "neither/tie" option as well as a Nintendo option. Probably a PC option as well.

Imo, neither Sony nor MS had a particularly good year. It's a tie as far as I'm concerned.

Spitfire098

Number of games released, which kinda of matters when you want to play new games than ita xbox. How good those games turned out is a different topic.

jm89

People seriously can't comprehend the idea of doing specific comparisons between 2 different things.

SMH.

I own both consoles and while Xbox Series X at least got one good game this year (Forza Motorsport) and one so-so exclusive (Starfield), I continue to be disappointed by the system which feels more like a cheap PC than a gaming console. Almost, three years since release and two years after I bought one, the games that showcase the hardware are still thin on the ground and I don't find Game Pass to be particularly enticing either.

Although the PS5 has had a quiet 2023, at least it actually feels like a current gen console with consistently good exclusives and even PS VR2 to justify owning the system. Spider-Man 2, while a safe and derivative sequel, is still a very good game and I like that the console offers me single player experiences rather than <spits in disgust> "live service" crap. However, there are signs that Sony may be headed this way but if the worse comes to the worse then I can always fall back to my PC, which is my main gaming system again anyway since buying a new i5-13600KF build last year with a RTX 4080 graphics card (which also makes the Xbox Series X redundant in all honesty).

Last edited:
Who on Earth is clicking "Xbox"?!

This is one of the worst years in the platform's entire history.

Perhaps people who only own and play games on Xbox?

Since Xbox has been lacklustre for exclusives for the best part of a decade then this is pretty much the accepted "norm" now for Xbox. The company who released the amazing original Xbox and Xbox 360 are now long gone, fixated instead on "live services" and Game Pass.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo.

Solid Gold. Zelda, Warioware, Mario, whatever else.

Old ass Switch still kicking, and games still selling like crazy.

More first party releases than Sony or Microsoft.

No layoffs

No game cancellations

No GaaS junk

Next console set to dominate the sales charts.

Conveniently left out of the discussion because they’re the no brainer winner.

Top Bottom