• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who had the better year in gaming? Playstation or Xbox?

Who had the better year in gaming?

• Total voters
MS with more profits than Sony. O.O
No, Xbox division pre-ABK acquisition doesn't have better profit margins than SIE.

It's a misleading graph from the same author, Derek Strickland, as in my linked tweet and idk why SmokedMeat SmokedMeat is even using it for his argument.

We had a big thread on it here already: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...le-was-misinformative.1661409/#post-268427981

From the OP:
FYI - margins are not operating profit, as the title of this thread incorrectly suggests. For example, Contribution Margin does not usually include fixed costs.

This CFO and Financial Analyst explains this whole thing well. Folks who have studied accounting would understand it easily.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I guess you haven't been paying attention, which is fine, but Game Pass has delivered non-stop this year.
Very debatable, but even if it were, why would Game Pass dictate the kind of year Xbox as a whole had?

2/3rd of Xbox console gamers don't even have Game Pass. So even if GP was great, it would not have any effect on the majority of Xbox gamers.

And if you're talking about financially, from Xbox's business POV, Game Pass also missed its financial target for the 3rd consecutive year. If it was so great, people would be flocking to it. So GP also didn't make it a great year for the Xbox business.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I voted draw, FFXVI and Starfield were both disappointments but I played and enjoyed Starfield more. Spider-Man 2 was the best game from either side this year but Xbox did have HiFi-Rush and Forza, both of which I enjoyed as well. Gamepass was clearly better then PS+ for this who use it.

A good (not great) year for both, but we all know Nintendo blew both out of the water.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Of course, PlayStation.
  • PS5 set new sales records.
  • Sony launched multiple new hardware products this year: PS5 Slim, PS VR 2, PS Portal, DualSense Edge.
  • PlayStation also introduced impressive PS5 Cloud streaming, leapfrogging xCloud's promised featured from 2022 that still hasn't come.
  • A wide variety of exclusive games, including Insomniac's first 90+ title and PlayStation's fastest-selling launch-day title.
  • GOTY nomination.
Excellent post. Covers all the ground with a well rounded, complete gaming ecosystem. I believe the Access controller is releasing next month. Same day as the Pulse Explore using planar drivers.

Josemayuste

It's a draw from me, I'm leaning more towards Nintendo and Tears of the kingdom.

I liked Starfield, and Baldur's Gate 3 was god tier, but nothing comes close to Zelda for me.

Topher

Gold Member
Screenshot-2023-09-21-at-18-26-17-Xbox-profits-revealed-in-new-FTC-leak.png

All that matters really. Sony spent the most and earned the least.

Nintendo spent the least and made the most.

Both Microsoft and Sony suffer from mismanagement, and layoffs.

Sony’s focused on GaaS. Microsoft’s focused on Game Pass.

Neither company is as good as they used to be.

Sony had two hardware launches this year which will inflate costs.

Screenshot-2023-09-21-at-18-26-17-Xbox-profits-revealed-in-new-FTC-leak.png

All that matters really. Sony spent the most and earned the least.

Nintendo spent the least and made the most.

Both Microsoft and Sony suffer from mismanagement, and layoffs.

Sony’s focused on GaaS. Microsoft’s focused on Game Pass.

Neither company is as good as they used to be.

Is that graph legit? I guess all those marketing deals and paying third parties for exclusives adds up.

Didn’t PlayStation release only one game this year?

They also had baseball and some DLC.

Who had the best games for the year is ripe for debate. Who had the best year as a platform seems to be an objective landslide in Sony's favor.

I agree, if this is about brand or something then Sony would win easily. I assumed it was software so imho Xbox wins easily.

I'd pick Sony between the two. But PC really shined the most this year. That said, I think everyone had a great year all around and there were so many great games to play across pretty much every platform.

I think Gamepass offered the better value between the big two, but as far as individual releases from each publisher, I'd give the edge pretty handily to Sony. If I could only pick one system to own this year, it'd have probably been the Series X, but if I had both, I'd probably have played only the exclusives on the PS5 and pretty much everything else on the XBox.

nial

Gold Member
This is probably SCE/SIE's worst year ever since its inception, yet it is amazing to think that Microsoft couldn't still have a much better result over there. Hi-Fi Rush was a good deal, but literally everything else (Redfall, Starfield and Forza Motorsport) is not worth talking about. Even with the FP non-exclusives, Minecraft Legends and COD MWIII, MLB 2023 is like a dimension ahead in quality.
Nintendo had the better year overall, but I still didn't like it so much. Advance Wars and Everybody 1-2 Switch were particularly garbage.

Last edited:

graywolf323

No, Xbox division pre-ABK acquisition doesn't have better profit margins than SIE.

It's a misleading graph from the same author, Derek Strickland, as in my linked tweet and idk why SmokedMeat SmokedMeat is even using it for his argument.

We had a big thread on it here already: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...le-was-misinformative.1661409/#post-268427981

From the OP:

Derek is just… I don’t know what happened to the guy because I used to think he was more sensible then this

after the TGA nominations yesterday he also tweeted out this take

Sorcerer

Phil will tell you Xbox had a bigger year because it's the year leading up to the best year ever, and next year he will say it's all his fault and he will try harder and do better the following year. Rinse and repeat.

Spiderman 2, FFXVI, Burning Shores, PSVR2 (all the games nominated in VR for the goty are for the system) + some third-party titles that have not appeared on Xbox makes the Playstation year much better as reflected in the survey.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Both were pretty solid, I think. Game Pass continues to offer some decent games, though I feel like they fell off a bit during the second half of the year. (Bethesda games don’t do much for me.) Inversely, Sony started the year pretty weak imo, but has released some bangers recently.

Nintendo was the only one who had consistently great releases sprinkled throughout the year, I’d say. PC also had a phenomenal year, especially with Alan Wake 2 (RT). Honestly, the Steam Deck and portable PCs had a great year too.

Come to think of it, the MiSTer and emulation handhelds were also fucking bomb this year. Damn, 2023 was kind of fire for gaming.

Everybody wins this year!

Last edited:

yazenov

In terms of Exclusives and 3rd party games that are not on Xbox (yet), the PS5 wins easily.

Spiderman 2
Final Fantasy 16
Star Ocean 2 Remake
The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie
Octopath Traveler 2
Baldurs Gate 3
Ys X: Nordics (released in Japan).
Fate/Samurai Remnant

Ect.

mystech

Games wise: Nintendo! They launched a lot of good hits this year.

Platform wise: Sony. PlayStation didn’t really do anything drastic this year but what they did do, they did well (unlike Microsoft). Spider-Man was what we wanted it to be. BG3 turned out to be a great timed exclusive. FF16 gave the summer a great start. The only real let down was their summer event which was loaded with GAAS garbage.

Business wise: Microsoft. Closing that Activision deal was huge! If they use it correctly, it can help them big time in the future.

Now next year will almost certainly go to Nintendo! Just don’t give us a Switch-“U” situation…

Hohenheim

Xbox.
Easily for me.

Only playstation game i've been interested in this year was FF16,which turned out to be a solid 7/10 game for me.

Hi-Fi Rush and Starfield are both among my favourites of the year, and Game Pass have been brilliant.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When you say "in gaming" do you strictly mean games released this year? If so, I would say it's a draw. Spiderman 2 was huge, Starfield was huge. If it's more broad, I would count the acquisition as monumental for Xbox and they easily win.

Xbox also has the clear dub when comparing PS Premium game releases to Xbox GamePass releases.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Xbox bought fucking Activision. They won

A measly little ps exclusive is nothing

Last edited:
Very debatable, but even if it were, why would Game Pass dictate the kind of year Xbox as a whole had?

2/3rd of Xbox console gamers don't even have Game Pass. So even if GP was great, it would not have any effect on the majority of Xbox gamers.

And if you're talking about financially, from Xbox's business POV, Game Pass also missed its financial target for the 3rd consecutive year. If it was so great, people would be flocking to it. So GP also didn't make it a great year for the Xbox business.
Most Xbox owners on this forum would have Game Pass, you can't just pick and choose which features you'd like to include to suit your bias.

Would adding PS Plus Premium make Playstation's year even worse? Probably.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Most Xbox owners on this forum would have Game Pass, you can't just pick and choose which features you'd like to include to suit your bias.

Would adding PS Plus Premium make Playstation's year even worse? Probably.
On this forum? We're not talking about this forum specifically. The thread is about "who had the better year in gaming: PS or Xbox?"

Something that 67% of Xbox userbase do not even have cannot be touted as the reason why they had a good year.

The same principle applies to PS Plus Premium as well. The overwhelming majority of PS users do not have PS Plus Premium, so a fantastic year for PS+ Premium cannot be the reason why PS had a better year.

Hugare

My only question. Do all the Sony voters own an xbox?
I own a PC.

It was a weak year for Sony tho, didnt enjoy Spidey 2 very much, but I still think its much better than MS offerings

Hi-fi Rush was ok, but it was an AA experience like Concrete Genie was for Sony

If that's the best you can do in a year, then oof

Last edited:

Little Mac

I gave my vote for ps5 for 2023 ... but from what's already been announced for 2024, xbox has next year. Maybe I'm alone on this one but the last couple of Sony showcases have been rather underwhelming to me.

Crayon

They both have armored core and neither have zelda so they are equal. Unless you think other games matter.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Who on Earth is clicking "Xbox"?!

This is one of the worst years in the platform's entire history.
Xbox for me, and it's not even slightly close. Literally one of the best years of gaming I've had, and it was all for zero extra cost. I'm paid up on GP until 2026. Starfield is my GOTY, and Hi-Fi Rush is in my top 4.

1st party:
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Starfield
  • Redfall
  • Age of Empires 2
  • Age of Empires 4
  • Goldeneye
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
There's probably 2-3x this list, but these are just the ones I played a bit or all of so far. Exoprimal is my favorite multiplayer game this gen with 150 hours so far, and Cocoon and Jusant are in my top 5 for the year.
Gamepass:
  • Atomic Heart
  • Lies of P
  • Cocoon
  • Jusant
  • Exoprimal
  • Solar Ash
  • Ravenlok
  • The Last Case of Benedict Fox
  • Persona 3
  • Persona 4
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Inkulinati
  • Wo Long
  • Valheim
  • Loop Hero
  • Everspace 2
  • Planet of Lana
  • Slayers X
  • Amnesia: The Bunker
  • Bramble
  • Venba
  • Sea of Stars
  • Yakuza Ishin
  • Yakuza LAD: Gaiden
  • Wartales
This of course doesn't count all the dozens of games I also bought this year on Xbox that are multiplat and not worth really listing in a competition like this. Robocop, Wanted Dead, dozens more.

Games I purchased / played on PS5 this year:
  • Humanity

Last edited:
Top Bottom