• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who had the better year in gaming? Playstation or Xbox?

Who had the better year in gaming?

• Total voters

ungalo

Didn't play FF16 yet so i could be wrong but i think Xbox by default. I enjoyed Hi-Fi Rush and Starfield (despite the disappointment). Spiderman 2 doesn't interest me one bit.

Oh yeah Gamepass year was also good.

edit : if i had to answer on an objective basis obviously it would be totally different, PS5 is obliterating Xbox in sales and Spiderman 2 was well received whereas Starfield is considered a huge let down.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Considering most big games were multi-platform:

PS5 had SpiderMan 2, Forspoken, FF16
Xbox had Redfall, Starfield and Forza....and day 1 Gamepass games.

BUT PS got Baldur's Gate 3 when Xbox couldn't get their Series S shit together.......so pretty much a draw.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Who on Earth is clicking "Xbox"?!

This is one of the worst years in the platform's entire history.
Gamepass (3rd party and 1st party titles available day 1.....Like a Dragon MWEHN for example)...I'm paying $1 for two weeks of GP to play Like a Dragon, while PS players have to pay $50
Backward compatability........Sony makes you pay for PS5 versions when Xbox gives free upgrades to XSX.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Considering most big games were multi-platform:

PS5 had SpiderMan 2, Forspoken
Xbox had Redfall, Starfield and Forza

BUT PS got Baldur's Gate 3 when Xbox couldn't get their Series S shit together.......so pretty much a draw.
Poor Final Fantasy XVI, forgotten over Forspoken.
Yeah I agree, content-wise they are about the same. Great year all around when including all the multi-plats.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Who on Earth is clicking "Xbox"?!

This is one of the worst years in the platform's entire history.
Vine Ok GIF

Has it? Not with first party content. Must have had great day 1 3rd party content?
The "first party" comments are irrelevant and disingenuous, there has been A LOT to play in recent years without games being first party releases and not every first party release has to be 98 on Metacritic in order to be enjoyable.

There were plenty of great Day 1 releases on Game Pass this year:

Atomic Heart
The Lamplighters League
COCOON
Lies of P
Jusant
Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
Sea of Stars
Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased
Cassette Beasts
F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
Dungeons 4
Planet of Lana
Exoprimal

etc

And yes with first party content:

Hi-Fi Rush
AoE 2: Definitive
AoE IV
Starfield
Forza Motorsport

Aion002

For me... I would say that Playstation won, but not by much and mostly because I love Final Fantasy.

Basically: FFXVI and Horizon 2 Burning Shores versus Hi-Fi Rush and Age of Empires 4.

Kilau

Whose pretending?

It's obvious to anyone xbox and playstation are more closer competitors.

That's why i asked.
It’s not even a question if Nintendo is part of it, nothing wrong with limiting the scope to PS and Xbox.

Bond007

This is a funny one and its very clear who won this year and pretty much every other year in recent memory.

Dr.Morris79

Sweet baby inc is the real winner, what a year they've had :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They're probably pissing down golden toilets for the guff they've written.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Of course, PlayStation.
  • PS5 set new sales records.
  • Sony launched multiple new hardware products this year: PS5 Slim, PS VR 2, PS Portal, DualSense Edge.
  • PlayStation also introduced impressive PS5 Cloud streaming, leapfrogging xCloud's promised featured from 2022 that still hasn't come.
  • A wide variety of exclusive games, including Insomniac's first 90+ title and PlayStation's fastest-selling launch-day title.
  • GOTY nomination.
Some people may be confused about Xbox because Xbox just had its best year in years. But that best was relative, and it wasn't enough to overtake PlayStation's.
  • Their biggest games didn't make the impact;
  • They released the Redfall abomination that will haunt them for years,
  • Their console dropped YoY by -25%,
  • Their Game Pass subscription missed targets,
  • Baldur's Gate 3 couldn't launch in time because of Series S.
  • Promised features from last year, like xCloud streaming of digital library, were never even discussed again.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Both had good, not great years to me. I enjoyed Starfield and Spider-man 2 quite a bit, but that's about it for Xbox/PlayStation first party for me.

My only question. Do all the Sony voters own an xbox/PC?

ftfy.

But why don't you want to know if Xbox voters own a PlayStation?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Wait, I thought Xbox was hibernating this year, were they even trying to compete?

Redfall, Starfield, someone was asleep at the wheel.
I know I might get a warning for this, but as an xbox owner I feel I have the fucking right to say this, what year in the last decade have they not been asleep at the wheel?

I mean the only great exclusives I can remember are Forza Horizon and Hi-Fi Rush, there used to be tons of cool exclusives xbox had, suddenly they all just seem to be shitty live service games or Starfield.

It's useful as a gamepass machine, but that's it.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Hi-Fi Rush is the only exclusive game I care about this generation so I guess XBOX by default but I'm pissed at them for getting rid of retail mode emulation

I'm having more fun with PC-FX games than PS5 or XBOX honestly

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Screenshot-2023-09-21-at-18-26-17-Xbox-profits-revealed-in-new-FTC-leak.png

All that matters really. Sony spent the most and earned the least.

Nintendo spent the least and made the most.

Both Microsoft and Sony suffer from mismanagement, and layoffs.

Sony’s focused on GaaS. Microsoft’s focused on Game Pass.

Neither company is as good as they used to be.

Horizon Burning Shores, Horizon Call of the Mountain, Synapse, GT VR Mode, RE4 VR Mode, PSVR2, Forspoken :messenger_unamused:, FFXVI, Spider-man 2, slim consoles, portal, ear buds
vs.
hi-fi rush, starfield, forza, redfall, chocolate console, GP discounts on monster energy drinks . . .

No brainer to me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bergoglio

Xbox undoubtedly: Hi Fi Rush, Starfield, Forza, post-patch Redfall, AoE 4, Halo online resurrected. Playstation this year has only had FF16 and Spiderman 2 decent, two excellent titles but not comparable to the xbox exclusives of 2023 and gamepass releases.

Codes 208

In games sony definitely won, again. I honestly cant say ms has launched a competent first party AAA game since gears 4

But in terms of general successes, credit where its due: the bid for activision going through was a huge win for ms

NickFire

Who had the best games for the year is ripe for debate. Who had the best year as a platform seems to be an objective landslide in Sony's favor.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Screenshot-2023-09-21-at-18-26-17-Xbox-profits-revealed-in-new-FTC-leak.png

All that matters really. Sony spent the most and earned the least.

Nintendo spent the least and made the most.

Both Microsoft and Sony suffer from mismanagement, and layoffs.

Sony’s focused on GaaS. Microsoft’s focused on Game Pass.

Neither company is as good as they used to be.
MS with more profits than Sony. O.O

Bartski

Gold Member
Both had a piss poor one tbh. The only first-party game from Sony I thought was worth checking out was VR horizon, sorry man-spider.... while the Xbox Studios output was just one gigantic disappointment.

That is not to say it was a bad year, saved by many incredible 3rd party bangers

NickFire

If this kind of year still has people congratulating Sony, then I don't see how Xbox could ever get a single win.
Increasing market share would be a good start for Xbox to win the year.

Also, you might see entirely different poll results if the question was whether Sony or MS had the better year in gaming. MS's general gaming division had a much better year than the Xbox component of the gaming division did.

Top Bottom