• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who had the better year in gaming? Playstation or Xbox?

Who had the better year in gaming?

• Total voters

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So we should make it a PS+ list vs Gamepass list? Otherwise we can drop the PS+ list on top of everything else this year also...
You can include anything you want in your pick. PS+ is part of Sony's year. Some people are focusing on hardware. Another person listed revenue.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Who cares. The question should be, did gamers have a better year in gaming and personally for me I'd say while it's a good year. It's not a great year because we haven't really gotten anything new.

I personally care very little about exclusivity. Its 100x better for me to just get the games cheaper. And add up the cost of that list I posted. Very few can afford that. No one will buy all those day 1 at full price. Instead you just end up skipping games that arent 88+ MC and you end up missing most of the interesting stuff.
I have limited time, I will gladly pay full price on the games I actually want to play. 100x times better for me.

GP is the killer app for Xbox so of course people will bring it up.
Its killing Xbox all right:

And answer to the original post:
PlayStation had the better year no contest. 💙

Last edited:

NEbeast

I very much doubt all the voters do just as not all MS voters own a PS. Question is why is only the first important to you? Especially as xbox and pc are more interchangeable to know/experience what releases it had.
He bleeds green, that's why.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lies of P launching on Game Pass alone obliterates anything Playstation tried to do this year.
It still launched on PlayStation.

Ps also had more exclusives that are better than starfield like ff16 and forspoken…. And this little game spider woke2.

MrTired

It still launched on PlayStation.

Ps also had more exclusives that are better than starfield like ff16 and forspoken…. And this little game spider woke2.

I think some people forget that most s the 95% of 3rd party games in Gamepass aren't exclusive and are available on PS5. These experiences are available if a person deems it worth of there time and money. Gamepass subscribers getting at no additional cost doesn't somehow make it a better experience than on other platforms.

Here's my take on it
As a 38 year old father of 2 I don't have lots of money to spend on games,
Good for anyone who can buy all games but the only reason I got series x is day 1 games on gp and
This was a fantastic year of gp
I literally paid 100 dollars for 3 years for GP and I think I got like a 500 dollar worth from this year alone
If I had a ps I would've never been able to buy games like lies of p and the sleeper hit of the year for me is lies of p

Ogbert

Talk about a thread designed for a Sony circle jerk.

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think some people forget that most s the 95% of 3rd party games in Gamepass aren't exclusive and are available on PS5. These experiences are available if a person deems it worth of there time and money. Gamepass subscribers getting at no additional cost doesn't somehow make it a better experience than on other platforms.

This is what i said. People use the Gamepass service to cover how bad MS itself is releasing any quality games in general. So we just drop the gamepass list and call it a day.

yurinka

I think PS, because it had more and better exclusives plus the releases of PSVR2, PS Portal and more accesories.

Yeah, same! This long wait just makes me want to buy more copies of Nier Automata (I already have it twice on the PS4 and once on the Switch). 😅
If you have a decent PC you can play it there at high fps and settings these days and there's also lots of cosmetic mods and *cough cough* mods. Back when it came out it ran fine on my 1070 and 6700k which are 7 and 8 year old parts nowadays. Might run fine in a Steam deck actually. But yea I can't wait for what's next!

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Of these 2, Playstation based on console sales alone.

Nintendo overperforming a newer, more powerful console in year 7 of its handheld life is the first choice had they been on rhe ballot

bender

What time is it?
I'll take Hi-Fi Rush and the other garbage that was Microsoft's first party titles over Spider-Man 2 and *crickets chirping*.

Sony for me easily. Honkai, trails into reverie, ff16, and Spider-Man 2. Won’t even count the great dlc for both horizon and gow.

Xbox had HiFi Rush, Redfall, Starfield and Forza as first party exclusives while Sony had Spider-Man 2 and a DLC (Burning Shores). My vote will have to go to MS here although if you add FXVI and Forspoken (lol) in the mix (3rd party timed exclusive), and also the PSVR2 stuff things def get more even.

But like others have said, Nintendo trumps them both this year with the sheer amount of quality games they've put out so far: SMB Wonder, Zelda TotK, Metroid Prime Reamastered, XC3 Future Redeemed, Pikmin 4, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem Engage.

Tl:dr Nintendo > Microsoft ≥ Sony.

You include Redfall for why Xbox was better than Sony and yet laugh at Forspoken but Forspoken is the MUCH better game having played both. Just saying that's a bit of a questionable take despite how easy it is for people to dump on Forspoken.

AJUMP23

Personally I play games on my Xbox. But PS sold a ton of consoles and had Spider-Man 2.

for my money NINTENDO had the best year.

I bought 3 or 4 Xbox games 3 pc games 5 Nintendo games 0 ps games.

damidu

ps easily, and without even doing much as well.
xbox basically one dissapointing half finished release after another for the duration of the whole year.
if they kept the games cooking they could at least keep the hype going. now gamepass looks like an early access platform.

Last edited:
You include Redfall for why Xbox was better than Sony and yet laugh at Forspoken but Forspoken is the MUCH better game having played both. Just saying that's a bit of a questionable take despite how easy it is for people to dump on Forspoken.
Hmm... looking back maybe I was a bit hot takey there with Redfall / Forspoken. I think I put around 3-4h into Redfall before I bailed out while I did manage to sink ~20h into Forspoken before I moved onto something else (the parkour and combat was what kept me interested in playing it for more hours than I initially expected).

Last edited:
Top Bottom