• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's gonna be gaming on PC + XBox SX?

Zuzu

I've gone back to gaming on computer for the last year and half or so, but I've preordered a Series X. I have a few reasons for having both:

1. The Series X is an upgrade over my computer and it offers me better value for money compared to upgrading to a new gaming PC at this time. I expect that I'll get another computer for gaming in a few years time when the Series X is showing its age. My current computer is still very good though and I'll continue playing on it a lot.

2. The Series X has better multiplayer options for me because it will have local coop play via split screen and it's far easier to set up multiple Xbox's for multiplayer at my house than to organise multiple PCs. I also prefer online multiplayer on the Xbox because I like using my Elite Controller and I don't like hackers. The other day I was playing Battlefield 5 and there were numerous hackers running around ruining the experience. Now I just play Battlefield on my Xbox One S.

3. The interface on the Xbox is easier to use compared to PC and features such as quick resume are valuable to me (I recognise that PC has suspend and resume for games, but its less convenient compared to quick resume). It's easier to quickly play a game on console.

4. The Xbox has the option for disc based games. Recently I wanted Transformers Devastation, but it's been delisted from all digital stores. Luckily I could get a disc copy for my One S. Also, the Xbox has a blu ray player.

5. PC gaming still has difficulties and lacks the ease of gaming on Xbox. In the last year and a half I've had various problems. E.g. Burnout Paradise Remastered wouldn't work, LA Noire wouldn't work, Hellblade crashes and won't work, No Man's Sky crashes and won't work, TV audio won't work in Windows 10, Windows won't delete Microsoft Store Games properly, tessellation on Gears 5 kept causing the game to crash etc. There's barely any hassles like this on Xbox. I ended up buying some of these games on my One S simply because they won't work on the computer. I recently read that Nier Automata has problems on PC. Apparently there's work arounds for it but I just couldn't be bothered so I bought it on console.

6. PC gaming has VR, mods are good, there's lots of different games on PC which never come to consoles, great sales & lots of free games, highly customisable graphics options and customisability in general, incredible backwards compatibility, I prefer mouse and keyboard for some genres such as 3rd person shooters, and you can use better quality flight sticks.

7. PC & Xbox have some different games on Game Pass. Having both gives you full access to the library. Play Anywhere is a useful feature between the two platforms.

8. Very occasionally, consoles receive exclusive 3rd party games like Red Dead Redemption 1, so it's good to have one.

9. I like accruing Microsoft Rewards Points on the Xbox.

Last edited:

havok75

I have decided to just game on PC for this coming gen. I gave my son my PS5 preorder, I'm just not that excited with anything i've seen so far. And I don't really have a great PC tbh, i5 9600k and gtx 1070. But I think it will do me for a year or two.

JLB

Banned
I do.
No redundancy OP.
PC on the attic, Xbox is on the living room.
Also I work most of the day in front of my computer, so I prefer to play on the couch in front of an OLED TV with a beer.
And also, no way my computer runs games as smooth as the Series X. Heck, not even as well as the One X.

Last edited:
Xbox + PC makes more financial sense than PS5 + PC.
  • Getting an Xbox instead, with game pass ultimate, you are covered on both devices for your online multiplayer and all the games gamepass offers. If you go ps5, you have to pay $70 per game on top of PlayStation Network fees on top of gamepass for PC.
  • Going to Xbox route, you can play on your PC and continue in game pass games where you left off on your xbox. Can't do that with PS5.
  • There are many Xbox BC titles such as Ninja gaiden II, PGR series, Rare titles, Halo 5 to name a few that are not on PC.
Even if someone does go ps5, getting an xss at least is a great idea for a secondary system as an extension of the PC. U could use it as a gamepass machine to keep cost down

MH3M3D

Xbox + PC makes more financial sense than PS5 + PC.
  • Getting an Xbox instead, with game pass ultimate, you are covered on both devices for your online multiplayer and all the games gamepass offers. If you go ps5, you have to pay $70 per game on top of PlayStation Network fees on top of gamepass for PC.
  • Going to Xbox route, you can play on your PC and continue in game pass games where you left off on your xbox. Can't do that with PS5.
  • There are many Xbox BC titles such as Ninja gaiden II, PGR series, Rare titles, Halo 5 to name a few that are not on PC.
Even if someone does go ps5, getting an xss at least is a great idea for a secondary system as an extension of the PC. U could use it as a gamepass machine to keep cost down

In what world does it make financial sense to buy 2 machines that can play the same upcoming games? It makes sense if you want to play in different rooms without buying the same game twice or using BC, but that has nothing to do with keeping costs down. If you want to go that road, buy only a series X and only buy used games (even cheaper than gamepass if you resell for the same price you buy).

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
thumb_ps4-only-on-playstation-a-very-angry-lesbian-rating-pending-63378440.png

Interesting....Lets focus on the games shall we!

Coming to PC and/or Xbox in the near future
Nioh 2, FF7R

Own this on PS3
Persona 5

These games .....aren't that good even if they were Xbox exclusive I wouldn't even rent them you feel the need to bring them up because "console warz"
GOW, Days Gone, Spiderman, GTS

Bloodborne seems cool, sold my PS4 so I haven't played it

PSO2 is my GOTY PlayStation doesn't have anything half as fun as that game

Who knows maybe that furry game on PS5 will be furtastic!

CrysisFreak

Banned
Interesting....Lets focus on the games shall we!

Coming to PC and/or Xbox in the near future
Nioh 2, FF7R

Own this on PS3
Persona 5

These games .....aren't that good even if they were Xbox exclusive I wouldn't even rent them you feel the need to bring them up because "console warz"
GOW, Days Gone, Spiderman, GTS

Bloodborne seems cool, sold my PS4 so I haven't played it

PSO2 is my GOTY PlayStation doesn't have anything half as fun as that game

Who knows maybe that furry game on PS5 will be furtastic!
Literally every single game mentioned in your response is better than 99% of Xbox games (except Forza Horizon). Very sad, many such cases.

FlyyGOD

I'm curious why some people combine a PC with an XBox as all games will be out on both. Doesn't the redundancy bother you?
Is it purely for having that shiny new hardware?
I have a 1070 and I5 cpu its not exactly capable of doing what Series X can do.

I mean, the whole ecosystem is kinda the point. You can switch over between either of them, with the same saves, as far as I've understood it. This means you can play it in your living room, on the go or at your desktop. So there's certainly value in it.

There's rarely any "must have exclusives" in general, as much as people try to make it seem like. Also, a lot of people just don't have the PCs for good performance and don't invest in PC.

For me it overall depends. Backwards compatibility and the ecosystem is definitely a big plus on the Xbox side. Sony on the other hand has a few IPs I'm very involved in. Namely Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and Wild Arms. Most other Sony IPs are good, but not necessarily anything I've felt a need to buy. TLoU2 I completely skipped due to the story leaks and a rather uninspiring progress in gameplay design. Uncharted 4 was meh. GoW2018 was good, but definitely amongst the most overhyped titles and I really didn't feel like I'd have missed much if I didn't play it. Horizon was better than expected, but I didn't at the end feel a desire for a sequel. Day's Gone was merely okay. Spiderman was okay, but not really anything interesting or mindblowing. Not a Sony IP, but FFVII remake I'm skipping completely due to butchering of characters, ridiculous pacing and story fuckery.
My best purchases this gen from Sony has been Bloodborne, Dreams, Until Dawn and The Last Guardian (and Tearaway if we include Vita). I would possibly add Horizon as well, which I personally thought was better than GoW. Worst thing about Sony is that you never know how a sequel will be, as evidenced by Infamous: Second Son, which was disappointing to me as someone who loved Infamous 1 and 2.
As it stands, neither console has a really good launch to me. It's mostly cross-gen. The one title which is not is Demon's Souls, but that's just a remake. Had they added the 6th archstone, I'd have felt more a draw to having to play it, as then it'd be new content. However, from what I've seen it's the same game, only prettier and in some way worse looking in terms of atmosphere. Then you have Microsoft fumbling with their game production, like Halo and Forza as well, though that matters less to me as I'm not into those titles. That and their inability to use good IPs like Banjo & Kazooie and Perfect Dark for something.
It's especially tough considering that Sony has so many great IPs, but they just don't have the will or manpower to produce those titles. I would've loved a new Motorstorm, a new Wild Arms, a new Destruction Derby, a new Wipeout, a new Demon's Souls or Bloodborne and a new Ape Escape. I would've loved a reboot/reimagining of either Resistance or Syphon Filter.

The fact that Xbox has outfeatured Sony is a bit annoying really. Backwards compatibility was the thing during the PS3 era. And I shelved out for a PS3 at launch, which at that time cost a ridiculous amount of money. Having a better overall ecosystem, which again was something that Sony focused a bit on during the PS3/early PS4 era, when they still had handhelds and when PS+ was more relevant.

So I can definitely see why someone doesn't care as much about a few Playstation exclusives, compared to having a good ecosystem and having true backwards compatibility. Imagine if a console had 100 exclusives, but none of them are really interesting to you. Do they really matter? Imagine that some of them are okay, but not rising to the excitement of 3rd party. Do they really matter? Just because they're exclusive? Questions like that are interesting, because for some people the answer will be yes, while to others it will be no. Generally my answer will be: depends on the exclusive. Especially as most exclusives are one-maybe-twice-and-done type of games. Why wouldn't I just borrow a friend's PS5 or Xbox SX for a few days and play the exclusives? That would save a ton of money. Why wouldn't I just buy a used Xbox SX or PS5 around the end and just play through a few of the exclusives I care about before selling? Heck, in that perspective it's probably better to just own a PC. However, consoles have an advantage in terms of how living room friendly they are. There's also a social desire to be a part of the conversation as well. Which is why people suddenly care about console exclusives. Personally I didn't buy a PS4 because of exclusives, but because Microsoft fucked up with Xbox One and because the console had great features and because of the next-gen leap.

MH3M3D

XBOX/PC is the only option for me period

XBOX in the living room, PC in the bedroom

Nothing I want to play on PS5 or Switch (that isn't already on PC)

If sony stopped censoring games and making western sjw cinematic borefests and went back to the PSX days sure I detest sony's vision of what the games industry should be

PlayStation has made it clear that they cater to a certain type of gamer and if you don't fit mold you are SOL so I can't support them in any way shape or form

Pre PS4 I would own an Xbox and Playstation every gen now I can't do that

You make it sound like Sony makes many cinematic borefests. Can you name them? Did they all flop? In recent memory there's only TLOU2 that some gamers didn't like (still sold millions). What games were censored and what did they censor exactly that made you so angry about it?
You're blowing things way out of proportion.

Top Bottom