• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are bidets not the standard for toilets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not all as rich as this guy.

iabgr7ufklzyac1s5x.gif

Butt guns are better. You have more control of water pressure, and temp (usually just fitted to one temp though). You can get attachments for your existing toilet or get one attached to the piping if you're fitting a new bathroom. Would assume attachments to the toilet itself are weaker though.

Just remember to turn it off after every use as they leak. Overall a worthy investment for cleanliness.

What a sentence.

caliph95

Those are standard here in Saudi Arabia. Easily the best and most comfortable in my experience.

I need to look up the Japanese one and see how it works.
It has that going for it i guess, it is also i'm pretty sure common in the middle east as well as countries with a majority Muslim population. Say what you will about us but we have the superior ass wiping method

Trickster

Shitty cultural norms is the reason.

People grow up having to use toilet paper, so that's just what's normal for them, and they don't spend time thinking that there might be a better way.

Still gonna make my dream of getting a japanese toilet come true at some point.

eizarus

Banned
It has that going for it i guess, it is also i'm pretty sure common in the middle east as well as countries with a majority Muslim population. Say what you will about us but we have the superior ass wiping method
One reason why I've never done a cache dump at a pubic toilet here in the UK.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I agree with OP, toilet paper is ancient technology. The first item I'm buying after purchasing a home is going to be a fully equipped Japanese toilet.

digdug2k

I have to wipe my kids asses off now, and I feel fine telling people that bidets don't really do shit. It just means you've got shit stuck to a wet ass instead of a dry one.
I fucking hate toilet paper. Why don't toilets come equipped with bidets in America as a standard??? Why are we still wiping our butts with paper like savages?
Are people out there really using bidets without using TP after? You just walk out of the bathroom with a wet ass? Wiping your butt off is mandatory for everyone.

Midas

heated seats are pretty offputting.... it feels like a ghost ass is haunting the seat...

Ghost ass. :lol

I remember that I turned off the heating when I was in Japan. It just felt weird. Also, feels like germs loves a heated seat?

I do find it weird that bidets aren't the standard everywhere. Like if you got shit on any other part of your body, you wouldn't be satisfied by rubbing it clean with a bit of dry paper.

It's not like I touch anything with my butthole, and I shower regularly, so I'm not too concerned about it. Just find it odd.

Because handheld showerheads are superior to bidets.

And glad I have the bath / shower combo near the toilet. My current home has no room for a bidet. I would settle for the water jet pistol they had in Thailand, as it would be easier to install that replacing the whole toilet with a combined one.

thailand-style-toilet.png

Wet wipes is the bare minimum of cleanliness. Bidet is the stage above. Wiping with only TP and just walking away is Tarzan living.

hobozero

Oh god I can't believe I am gonna ask this

So if you have the handheld shower head attached to the toilet, where does the water go? do you have to position yourself above the bowl? What happens to the shitty water that is going to inevitably get on the floor?

I have to assume you have some sort of drain system built into the floor, right? Everyone advocating for these devices realizes that most western toilets down't have drains in the floor, right?

So if you have the handheld shower head attached to the toilet, where does the water go? do you have to position yourself above the bowl? What happens to the shitty water that is going to inevitably get on the floor?

I have to assume you have some sort of drain system built into the floor, right? Everyone advocating for these devices realizes that most western toilets down't have drains in the floor, right?

While you are still seated, you use it in a diagonal fashion as if you were going to clean your butt. You can control the strenghth of the water by applying different pressure. Nothing gets out (unless you aim so badly that comes out from between your legs).

It's also useful for removing skidmarks. Much more hygienic than the brush.

You sit on the toilet, do your business, continue sitting and spray the bidets up your ass. The water and shit will go down the toilet. You wipe and get up, flush your leftovers and go by your day.

Wet wipes is the bare minimum of cleanliness. Bidet is the stage above. Wiping with only TP and just walking away is Tarzan living.
How is a bidet a step above a wet wipe? Having used both, I greatly prefer wet wipes. They seem to do a sufficient job of cleaning while not being too different from merely using dry toilet paper.

hobozero

You sit on the toilet, do your business, continue sitting and spray the bidets up your ass. The water and shit will go down the toilet. You wipe and get up, flush your leftovers and go by your day.

I know how a bidet works. I am asking about the spray handle shower head thing. I assume you need to stick the handle and your hand under there to do the spraying. Water is going to get on the showerhead and probably your hand - so are you cleaning that off every time too? Do you go in from the side, or the middle? Or lean forward? The logitics are confusing me and I am NOT looking up a video.

Z3K

I know how a bidet works. I am asking about the spray handle shower head thing. I assume you need to stick the handle and your hand under there to do the spraying. Water is going to get on the showerhead and probably your hand - so are you cleaning that off every time too? Do you go in from the side, or the middle? Or lean forward? The logitics are confusing me and I am NOT looking up a video.

You remain seated on the toilet, and you take the tiny shower head and from the back you aim it at an angle and spray in the direction of your butthole. Women I think can use it from the front....

eh, guess i'm a savage then... there's almost no bidet in switzerland, always used paper and it's good enough.... i mean how do you wipe yourself guys? You can clean everything easily with paper, and you can also buy these kind of things if it's not enough :

wet-wipes.jpg

Paracelsus

I fold some toilet paper, get it wet, put some soap on it, and use it to clean the worst, so that with regular toilet paper you just finish the job. Sure, a bidet would be easier but what can you do.

Jasup

The point of entry is pretty much the same as you would have with using the toilet paper. Personally I lean a bit forward and a little to the side to create a gap to stick the showerhead under there. Shower diagonally from the back, the spray points a bit forward directly to your rectal area and drops down away from the showerhead. As it's a spray, you don't have to stick your hand in there, unless you assist with the other hand.

I use toilet paper to dry my butt, then wash my hands afterwards.

DavidDesu

Oh not this thread again... Different cultures do things differently. To some paper seems weird, to other getting your arsehole wet and padding it down with a towel, and presumably having a fresh towel for every single time is how it's done. Paper is fine but then I don't know how outrageous other cultures bowel movements may be...

Rootbeer

Banned
I feel like I can get much better cleaning using wet wipes than a bidet. Not that I have ever used a bidet... but I think I understand how it works. I like to be thorough down there.

Caayn

How do people that use a bidet dry their bottoms after using it? Do you still use paper for that? Do you use a towel everytime (creating lots of extra laundry in the process)?

Nabbis

The germs on public bidets would be insane

It does not matter what you do, there will be germs either way. Using soap on the butthole could even spark an infection due to disrupting the interaction between the flora and mucous membrane.

Branduil

How do people that use a bidet dry their bottoms after using it? Do you still use paper for that? Do you use a towel everytime (creating lots of extra laundry in the process)?

They sell toilet paper specially designed to work with bidets.

cheesekao

You just shake your ass until most of the water drops into the bowl.

Rootbeer

Banned
That was my buddies motto, till they fucked up his plumbing and the plumber explained how bad these things were

Yes they are terrible for the sewage system, or your local plumbing. So what I do is perform a first pass with normal TP, which I flush. Then do a second pass with a wet wipe to get things properly clean, which is put in a wastebasket (with lid) in the bathroom. The wipe doesn't have much poo on it, it's mostly for hygiene, so it doesn't smell up the place.

Total amount of paper used is very similar to if I only used TP, only I feel a lot cleaner.

I used to just flush everything, and even though I never experienced any clogs, I've seen a lot of videos about how the wet wipe craze is contributing terribly to sewage problems around the world and I'm trying to do my part not to contribute!

Red Devil

That's what I'm wondering too, as somebody who has a bidet at home and use it(mainly before taking a shower) and unless I'm taking a shower afterwards, to dry my bottom I still require paper and everything thrown around here appears to be an alternative to that yet it seems you require paper one way or another.

cheesekao

That's what I'm wondering too, as somebody who has a bidet at home and use it(mainly before taking a shower) to dry my bottom I still require paper and everything thrown around here appears to be an alternative to that yet it seems you require paper one way or another.
The amount of water that stays on your ass is insignificant at best. Unless you have a really hairy ass, you generally don't need to dry it.

I've never understood how splashing some water on a shitty asshole is supposed to clean it. Plus it'll splash all over your balls, you got a wet arse and now you gotta go back to your desk looking like you just pissed yourself.

Fuck that, a few squares folded up is perfectly fine.

I just bought one from Amazon. Feels weird to celebrate getting something that's going to shoot water in my ass, but here I am.

I've never understood how splashing some water on a shitty asshole is supposed to clean it. Plus it'll splash all over your balls, you got a wet arse and now you gotta go back to your desk looking like you just pissed yourself.

Fuck that, a few squares folded up is perfectly fine.

Are you like using bidets for elephants or something? You shouldn't get any water on your balls unless you have a blast master or some shit.

Are you like using bidets for elephants or something? You shouldn't get any water on your balls unless you have a blast master or some shit.

How are you 100% sure that the jet of water will hit your bullet hole right on target? You'll also need a certain amount of force to ensure any shit is wiped away. Then you have to wipe with something anyway so you don't have a wet arse.

Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Sami+

You just use toilet paper, dries up fine. Decent toilet paper is really absorbant anyway.

Idk, OP. I'm Syrian American, we have one at home. I hate going to public bathrooms and think it's bizarre that a culture so weird and touchy about silly stuff like sharing food or double dipping or whatever is A-OK with dry wiping poopy ass. Feels bad.

How are you 100% sure that the jet of water will hit your bullet hole right on target? You'll also need a certain amount of force to ensure any shit is wiped away. Then you have to wipe with something anyway so you don't have a wet arse.

Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

You don't need that much pressure, unless every bowel movement you have is like a crime scene or something.

i mean, how do you dry your ass after you take a shower?

inb4 with a hair dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom