• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are bidets not the standard for toilets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaoteK

Here in South East Asia, you never see toilet paper. Next to every toilet is a "bum gun" that is basically a high pressure hose that you can clean your arse with. I have a real hard time using toilet paper when I'm back in the "civilised" West.

Rootbeer

Banned
Here in South East Asia, you never see toilet paper. Next to every toilet is a "bum gun" that is basically a high pressure hose that you can clean your arse with. I have a real hard time using toilet paper when I'm back in the "civilised" West.
Was curious what you meant by bum gun, looked up a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V32m3FZbjg

so basically a dishwasher hose, hope it does the job well!

2NvZYzi.png

Is it even possible for toilet instructional content to not be funny?

Iksenpets

Banned
Because America is a puritan society and pressure-blasting your ass with a hose is the sort of lurid sex act that gets your whole country smited by God. It's just too sweet a pleasure for us to handle.

trixx

you can't have that in public toilets? Couldn't even imagine the mess. At home, no problem.

I don't even use public toilets anyways

mdubs

Banned
I honestly can't imagine how spraying water at my bum would be anything other than a complete mess. I'm open to trying though.

I also can't imagine this being workable at public washrooms

KaoteK

Because America is a puritan society and pressure-blasting your ass with a hose is the sort of lurid sex act that gets your whole country smited by God. It's just too sweet a pleasure for us to handle.

Lol, perfect

I honestly can't imagine how spraying water at my bum would be anything other than a complete mess. I'm open to trying though.

It really isn't a hassle at all, it just takes time to get over the conditioning you've had from a very young age.

Rootbeer

Banned

In the USA people have absolutely no respect for public facilities. yeah, bum guns or bidet hoses would be absolutely trashed and in need of constant replacing. TP is just cheaper. Damn you people and your blocking of progress...

caliph95

As opposed to the sexual liberated and open minded places like Saudi arabia
I know it's joke

Machine

Just come back from Japan for 2 weeks. Live in the UK.

Am currently researching the best bidet I can get mounted onto my toilet at home. Honestly paper has never been good enough for me. If it's a truly dirty deed I won't be satisfied until I shower.

Western pigs we are.

Dougald

Just come back from Japan for 2 weeks. Live in the UK.

Am currently researching the best bidet I can get mounted onto my toilet at home. Honestly paper has never been good enough for me. If it's a truly dirty deed I won't be satisfied until I shower.

Western pigs we are.

That'd be a Toto Washlet, but thanks to 240V, be prepared to pay out £2k, plus the cost to get an electrician to wire up your bathroom. They're a lot pricier than they are in Japan

I think there are cheaper seats at the ~£500 mark but I don't know anything about them. We're having a new bathroom this year and my wife really wants us to stretch to getting one put in.

ZOONAMI

Wait so there are bidets in public restrooms in Europe?

That seems pretty disgusting imo. Wouldn't urine and feces spray/residue get on the faucet? So you are spraying other people's urine and shit up your ass?

I don't really even like the idea of spraying my own urine and fecies residue up my ass crack.

Just put some water on some tp from the sink if you have a poop marker situation going on. Wipe once with wet/damp tp and then use dry tp. Done.

If every toilet had a toto washlet there would be no war anymore. Those shower head things are for heathens.

Wait so there are bidets in public restrooms in Europe?

That seems pretty disgusting imo. Wouldn't urine and feces spray/residue get on the faucet? So you are spraying other people's urine and shit up your ass?

I don't really even like the idea of spraying my own urine and fecies residue up my ass crack.

Just put some water on some tp from the sink if you have a poop marker situation going on. Wipe once with wet/damp tp and then use dry tp. Done.

Not at all. Even the ones you have to pay for you'd be very lucky to find one.

Because we're the idiot country that voted for Trump. We stick with outdated, dumb ideas all the time and wear it like a badge of honor.

Seriously though, I keep thinking I should buy one of those bidet toilet seats. How difficult are they to set up?

holygeesus

Banned

Likewise I couldn't imagine how people think smearing shite around their ring-piece with a dry tissue, is likely to be successful at removing it. Unless you are one of those rare ghost-poo-ers.

Because we're the idiot country that voted for Trump. We stick with outdated, dumb ideas all the time and wear it like a badge of honor.

Seriously though, I keep thinking I should buy one of those bidet toilet seats. How difficult are they to set up?

Do you know anything about plumbing or electrical wiring?

Chorazin

An add-on Bidet from Amazon is a fucking god-tier shitting experience upgrade. My b-hole has never felt more sparkling fresh and clean! They're cheap and everyone should grab one.

Makes shitting away from home even worse though. :(

That'd be a Toto Washlet, but thanks to 240V, be prepared to pay out £2k, plus the cost to get an electrician to wire up your bathroom. They're a lot pricier than they are in Japan

I think there are cheaper seats at the ~£500 mark but I don't know anything about them. We're having a new bathroom this year and my wife really wants us to stretch to getting one put in.

Could try getting something from South Korea since they use 220V. If you're getting just the seat at least...

The problem isn't that bidet's aren't standard, it's that traditional toilet paper is trash and you may as well be using a corn husk to wipe your ass. Use wet wipes and you don't need a $2500 facebook-connected toilet to spray dirty water on your taint.

Dougald

The problem isn't that bidet's aren't standard, it's that traditional toilet paper is trash and you may as well be using a corn husk to wipe your ass. Use wet wipes and you don't need a $2500 facebook-connected toilet to spray dirty water on your taint.

- It's not dirty water, it's from the same source as the water you're using in the shower and sink to wash the rest of your body
- Wet wipes cause sewer blockages and are really not a good solution. Even "flushable" ones

I fucking hate toilet paper. Why don't toilets come equipped with bidets in America as a standard??? Why are we still wiping our butts with paper like savages?

I think you'd be a savage anyway in my eye..
I'm italian..
and I use FIRST toilet paper..
THEN I use the bidet...

I'm always perplexed when I visit other eu countries (take your pick... uk? slovenia? netherlands ??) and they are missing a bidet.... :|
I feel dirty...

dirty water?
sir you most likely don't have a bidet or live in some strange country..
bidet are supposedly sharing the same water source of the water you should supposedly drink... :|
and spray?? that's some.. technology overuse there.. you imagine bidet à-la-japanese..
I imagine something as simple as this:
bidet-montage-omnia.jpg

They should be.

There are so many things wrong with many bathrooms that just have basic toilet paper and the standard toilet that you sit on like a chair.

First, people need to squat when they go. It feels much better and relieves a lot of stress on area of your body. All toilets should have feet rests under them that you can prop up on and squat over the toilet.

Second is plain toilet paper. I need to feel clean after using the bathroom, not dirty. Wet wipes help a lot but they have problems clogging sewage lines (I still use them).

The ideal toilet experience will have a stool for squatting, wet wipes to clean, bidet attachment to rinse, then normal toilet paper to dry.

Chorazin

dirty water?
sir you most likely don't have a bidet or live in some strange country..
bidet are supposedly sharing the same water source of the water you should supposedly drink... :|
and spray?? that's some.. technology overuse there.. you imagine bidet à-la-japanese..
I imagine something as simple as this:
bidet-montage-omnia.jpg

It's not even that fancy to get one!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0RHSJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Adds on to a standard toilet, takes like 10 minutes to install, and costs $35 USA DOLLARS

This may be the wrong thread to ask but, is there any good portable bidets/washer? Currently living in the UK and I miss having it.

To go On Topic. I think for home bidets are a god send but in a public place I can kind of see why a public restroom doesn't have one.

barbecube

This is an amazing post.
Some weird guy on Youtube made a video about why bidets are not popular in the US and this was basically his theory — when indoor plumbing was becoming popular in the US there was a large amount of Puritanical anti-European sentiment and bidets were considered to be a kind of debauchery suitable only for the French.

_Nemo

You remain seated on the toilet, and you take the tiny shower head and from the back you aim it at an angle and spray in the direction of your butthole. Women I think can use it from the front....

Women don't poop, so they won't have any use for it.

I think you'd be a savage anyway in my eye..
I'm italian..
and I use FIRST toilet paper..
THEN I use the bidet...

I'm always perplexed when I visit other eu countries (take your pick... uk? slovenia? netherlands ??) and they are missing a bidet.... :|
I feel dirty...
Wouldn't it be better to tp after though?

Randam

How do you dry your ass from all that poo-water after?

Some weird guy on Youtube made a video about why bidets are not popular in the US and this was basically his theory — when indoor plumbing was becoming popular in the US there was a large amount of Puritanical anti-European sentiment and bidets were considered to be a kind of debauchery suitable only for the French.

well it was common in brothels

shandy706

The delicate flowers that use flushable wipes have no idea the kind of havoc they are wreaking: https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...isposable-wipes-sewer-toilet-cities-flushable

This is why you buy biodegradable ones that fall apart easily.

I use them on my toddler, and sometimes on myself. They can tear easily though...so careful. Haha

How do you dry your ass from all that poo-water after?

Haha, was what I was going to say. Just walk around with wet underwear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom