• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are bidets not the standard for toilets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't want this guy lurking in my bathroom

C7JoMS0.jpg

Breakage

Wipe visible debris with tissue till it's clean then hop in the shower n use soap to get clean. Better option than a bidet.

Toilet from my hotel in Bangkok last month.

L5FWnBn.jpg

Not sure if you can see all the buttons, but it had a fucking in built dryer. If i had one at home, I'd probably never leave the bathroom.

Wipe visible debris with tissue till it's clean then hop in the shower n use soap to get clean. Better option than a bidet.

Taking a shower literally every time you take a shit sounds...kind of ridiculous? Also, big waste of water if you're a multi day shitter.

digdug2k

Here in South East Asia, you never see toilet paper. Next to every toilet is a "bum gun" that is basically a high pressure hose that you can clean your arse with. I have a real hard time using toilet paper when I'm back in the "civilised" West.
What? I live and travel in SE Asia. There's always TP. Sometimes it costs a quarter, but its always there. They don't charge for it because its a luxury. They charge because they think no one is crazy enough to wash their ass and not dry off.

Where I'm from, bidets are seen as old-fashioned, and the jet-hose thing is rare. I really wish I had those though, because I don't feel really clean just from the TP. What I usually do is try to do it right before I shower, so I can clean up properly after.

What? I live and travel in SE Asia. There's always TP. Sometimes it costs a quarter, but its always there. They don't charge for it because its a luxury. They charge because they think no one is crazy enough to wash their ass and not dry off.

Just don't put TP down the toilet in SEA. Some poor fucker is gonna have to climb in a cesspool that's blocked up because you can't spray some water on your tushy.

Where I'm from, bidets are seen as old-fashioned, and the jet-hose thing is rare. I really wish I had those though, because I don't feel really clean just from the TP. What I usually do is try to do it right before I shower, so I can clean up properly after.
Bidets are old fashioned and toilet paper isn't? How can one think that?

ZOONAMI

Because they are clearly pretty unsanitary? Looking at the options on amazon piss and shit spray is definitely going to get all over the nozzle. No thanks.

The water hose is maybe a bit better but seriously why not just get some TP a bit wet if needed? Taint water dripping everywhere isn't appealing imo.

Wish they were in the US. When I put a bathroom in the basement, I'm putting in a bidet or getting a toilet with a bidet on it. Can't wait.

But the reason is because plumbing is good enough throughout most of the US/West that bidets were never a necessity, and the West generally has a tradition of using paper to wipe oneself, not a bucket of water.

Because they are clearly pretty unsanitary? Looking at the options on amazon piss and shit spray is definitely going to get all over the nozzle. No thanks.

The water hose is maybe a bit better but seriously why not just get some TP a bit wet if needed? Taint water dripping everywhere isn't appealing imo.

Man...what do some of you guys do in the bathroom. One guy needed a pressure washer to clean his asshole apparently, and I guess you just spray it all over the place and shit at weird angles? It really shouldn't be hard to keep that thing piss and shit free.

The delicate flowers that use flushable wipes have no idea the kind of havoc they are wreaking: https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...isposable-wipes-sewer-toilet-cities-flushable

Damn I had no idea. I used to love using them.

Also this related article is fucking disgusting:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/apr/21/huge-10-ton-fatberg-removed-chelsea-sewer-london

10 ton mass of wipes, waste, and fat clogged a UK sewer. Called the Fatberg.

Makes sense. Bidets became popular in areas that didn't have sophisticated plumbing or sewers to handle paper waste. I'd love one though.

ZOONAMI

Man...what do some of you guys do in the bathroom. One guy needed a pressure washer to clean his asshole apparently, and I guess you just spray it all over the place and shit at weird angles? It really shouldn't be hard to keep that thing piss and shit free.

It isn't direct piss or shit I'm talking about, but if you don't think there isn't any residue happening even if you aren't pissing or shitting directly on the nozzle, I'm not sure what to tell you. And yeah, sometimes people have diarrhea and it isn't always predictable where that shit is gonna go.

Y'all just need to stop eating such greasy fucking diets.

Don't need a bidet when 99% of poops the TP comes back clean.

Had a bidet with no TP during a business trip to China. The feeling of pulling up your pants with a clean wet ass is honestly worse than dirty dry ass.

I shower 2-3 times a day due to my workouts so I guess a bidet would be nice if I was some no physical activity slob who goes 2-3 days between showers.

Chorazin

I shower 2-3 times a day due to my workouts so I guess a bidet would be nice if I was some no physical activity slob who goes 2-3 days between showers.

Come on dude. Why do you think people who aren't spending half their day at the gym are slobs who rarely shower?

I shower twice a day on gym days but I don't think someone who doesn't hit the gym showers so infrequently. And I have a bidet because that shit is fucking awesome.

It isn't direct piss or shit I'm talking about, but if you don't think there isn't any residue happening even if you aren't pissing or shitting directly on the nozzle, I'm not sure what to tell you. And yeah, sometimes people have diarrhea and it isn't always predictable where that shit is gonna go.

I mean, depending on how sunken in your toilet bowl is, you shouldn't be getting much, if any piss, on a bidet if you keep the stream downward (for a guy, for a woman it's probably not a major issue). What little you do will probably mostly stick on the bottom. It's a fair point about diarrhea, but that's a bit of a special case. You should be able to see the residue in that case, and wiping the bidet off with a single papertowel or some tissues would be pretty easy.

ZOONAMI

I mean, depending on how sunken in your toilet bowl is, you shouldn't be getting much, if any piss, on a bidet if you keep the stream downward (for a guy, for a woman it's probably not a major issue). What little you do will probably mostly stick on the bottom. It's a fair point about diarrhea, but that's a bit of a special case. You should be able to see the residue in that case, and wiping the bidet off with a single papertowel or some tissues would be pretty easy.

I guess I don't see the point when you can just get some TP wet if you need to.

When I was in Rome and I saw a bidet for the first time, butt we didn't know what it was, so we used it to keep our bacardi cool.

I really want to try out a Japanese toilet, but I have to settle for trying to master the Three Seashells.

wutwutwut

A toto washlet seat costs $400 on amazon. Attaches to most toilets. Works well even if you're renting as long as you have a socket nearby. They even have separate versions for round and elongated US standard toilets.

The luxe stuff is a little less fancy but only costs around 35.

When I was in Rome and I saw a bidet for the first time, butt we didn't know what it was, so we used it to keep our bacardi cool.

I really want to try out a Japanese toilet, but I have to settle for trying to master the Three Seashells.

I see what you did there.

I'd rather know why the toilet water is so high in the US, do you guys bath in it?

Going by some of the responses in here, apparently a lot of Americans have truly epic shits. I had no idea I was in the land of the free and the heavy, massive shitters.

KmA

The best part of being in the middle east was that hand bidets were just the standard there. Like... america... get your shit together

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Toilet from my hotel in Bangkok last month.

L5FWnBn.jpg

Not sure if you can see all the buttons, but it had a fucking in built dryer. If i had one at home, I'd probably never leave the bathroom.

I don't own a house yet, but I likely will in a few years, and there is no doubt in my mind that we are 100% definitely buying Washlets.

One trip to Japan was all it took, they are a superior experience and I do not understand how or why they haven't caught on in the West.

xkramz

US has flushable wet wipes.. hell no I'm not wit that bidet life, that's so weird as fuxk having water spray your asshole

Breakage

Taking a shower literally every time you take a shit sounds...kind of ridiculous? Also, big waste of water if you're a multi day shitter.

You're sitting on the can basking in the ambiance of shit for several minutes or more. Wiping with a tissue only removes visible debris. You're still smearing shit across and into your crack with every wipe. It doesn't kill bacteria or the smell that's left over - it's just tissue. The only way to get clean is hot water and soap. If you had shit in any other crevice on your body - your armpit for instance - would you simply wipe it with tissue and call it a day? I doubt it. Why does your butt get a pass? It's still a part of your body. Having a shower to get clean makes sense. I don't get it - how can you feel clean and fresh with plain old tissue? When the shit left over from improper cleaning slowly melts between the cheeks it leads to revolting skid marks on one's underwear.
I don't go multiple times in one day. I regulate things to fall in line with my daily shower, so I'm not wasting water.

In India, a public toilet has a watering can (with a tap to fill it up) for cleaning needs, but no toilet paper.

In Dubai, a public toilet has the handheld bidet, and most have toilet paper.

In the USA, only toilet paper.

The concept of using water after a dumperoo is too foreign for most Americans, been never been able to figure out why. This thread has some good answers though.

TI82

Banned
Im going to have to look into getting some of these, or something similar

They will seriously fuck up your sewage system so you'll be paying a ton of money to a plumber or your apartment will and eventually it may find its way back to you.

Get a bidet, stop living like a pilgrim.

Meier

When we stayed in an Italian Air BNB last month, I initially thought there was a very short sink for children. :lol Some old school as shit bidets there!

Tell me where you live so I can make sure I never go the same bathroom as you.

This is how multiple bidets in Italy looked. I don't remember the open spout though.. it was more of a downward facing one too. It straight up looked like a sink! I was really only familiar with the modern ones from Japan.

DJ_Lae

I bought a cheap one a few months back out of curiousity:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0RHSJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It attaches between the seat and the toilet and has a little pop-out nozzle that kicks in when you twist the dial. I also had a shut-off as we had a diaper sprayer before, which is basically one of those handheld units already posted. But there's no way in hell I would use something with that power on my anus, as it's got one hell of a kick.

At any rate, for anything other than those nice clean shits it's fantastic. My wife still refuses to try it, but there really is nothing like bathing your pooper with a cool stream of water, especially when you've eaten spicy food prior.

Being forced to use just toilet paper at work, it never feels as clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom