• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some making a big deal that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

Does it matter that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

• Who cares it’s just a Home Screen.

Votes: 219 67.8%
  • No, I’m canceling my preorder.

Votes: 104 32.2%

• Total voters

Vawn

Banned
Loaded polls should be banned. There is no room in between a low-res UI being a complete non-issue and something that demands avoiding the console altogether?

Obviously, I'm not canceling my preorder over this, but it is still concerning. The UI is something you interact with every day and for every game. The fact it isn't ready to do 4K is worrisome especially coupled with the fact that we've heard so much about the power of the Series X, but have yet to see much tangible results of this power.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I actually don't give a fuck, but it's counterintuitive, to say the least, when everything around it speaks 4K.

And has 8k on its specs and possibly on the box. That’s why it will get patched in.
Loaded polls should be banned. There is no room in between a low-res UI being a complete non-issue and something that demands avoiding the console altogether?

Obviously, I'm not canceling my preorder over this, but it is still concerning. The UI is something you interact with every day and for every game. The fact it isn't ready to do 4K is worrisome especially coupled with the fact that we've heard so much about the power of the Series X, but have yet to see much tangible results of this power.

Yeah the poll could use another option or 2

Console wars. It's kinda lame that its not 4k but it's not the end of the world either.

Nobody is saying it's the end of the fucking world. Just because some are reasonably disappointed, that doesn't mean it's "console wars" either.

Some of us don't really understand why a 12TF console, in which they've been bragging about 4K/120fps/RT for the past year, can't even provide a 4K UI, which should be the LEAST intensive use of 4K. I find resolution makes a bigger difference in UI than in gameplay, because UI is so text heavy. Definitely makes a very substantial visual difference at larger screen sizes. So why can the PS4 Pro, a last generation machine pull it off, but the Series X can't? Just an odd choice.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nobody is saying it's the end of the fucking world. Just because some are reasonably disappointed, that doesn't mean it's "console wars" either.

Some of us don't really understand why a 12TF console, in which they've been bragging about 4K/120fps/RT for the past year, can't even provide a 4K UI, which should be the LEAST intensive use of 4K. I find resolution makes a bigger difference in UI than in gameplay, because UI is so text heavy. Definitely makes a very substantial visual difference at larger screen sizes. So why can the PS4 Pro, a last generation machine pull it off, but the Series X can't? Just an odd choice.
It's not that hard to understand. 4k ui takes up almost a 1gb of ram. You want that going towards games or ui?

Esca

I think it's a odd decision. I mean I get the reasoning behind why it isn't 4k. Just this shading their messaging as the most powerful console. I'm sure this is something that really won't matter either way going forward. Forum just needs something to argue about lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not that hard to understand. 4k ui takes up almost a 1gb of ram. You want that going towards games or ui?

It is a very loaded statement to make though... also, with such a fast SSD I expect less data to have to reside in RAM at all times and streamed in On Demand... yes, for the OS too.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Question: Is the UI being a lower resolution mean more space on the internal hard drive for games?

If so, then I gladly trade. TV's do 1080p upscaling to 4k so well nowadays. I'd rather havem ore space for games and more performance dedicated to those games.

Ultradsa

If the UI works like it does in PC land then your missing out on a massive amount of screen real-estate but I also understand that some 4k users on PC will scale their UI in windows and loose screen space in replace of larger icons, text and other assets. Personally I think if the machine is being marketed as primarily 4k then having a 4k UI would go nice with that theme and presentation.

Top Bottom