• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some making a big deal that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

Does it matter that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

• Who cares it’s just a Home Screen.

Votes: 219 67.8%
  • No, I’m canceling my preorder.

Votes: 104 32.2%

• Total voters

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The Xbox One X had a 4k UI. No one batted an eye.

This is not important enough to warrant this kind of response. We are just over two weeks out...it's time to start revving up for what really matters. 3rd party game performance comparisons. I wanna see after all this bullshit what these consoles can really do. Is the SSD going to load games significantly faster on PS5 or does Xbox Velocity help bridge the gap. Does Xbox Series X hold the power crown in 3rd party games, Are we looking at 4k vs 1440p? Are assets identical, draw distance, shadow quality, ray tracing performance.

I get that people are all like, "it's about the quality of the user experience brotherrrrrr", but honestly...on Xbox One X I turned the UI down to 1080p just because I wanted it to be smoother. The overall experience was better and it was difficult for me to tell the difference, so much that I had to go back into the settings to make sure I actually confirmed the changes. It doesn't matter. People who are fishing for any little advantage need to calm down and wait until there's actually something to console war about.

ChrisB

Possibly because they constantly brag about the power, shifting everyone's attention to XSX being the most powerful console. I'm doubtfult it'll be 1080p, I'm thinking 1440p or 2160p.

FrankWza

"So far" doesn't mean shit
It means that all that power has already not meant anything once. If it’s so powerful it should always have better performance options with 3rd party games. Also, one x didnt have a 4K UI. Another “most powerful console” that was actually more powerful than the pro

reinking

Gold Member
.on Xbox One X I turned the UI down to 1080p just because I wanted it to be smoother.
Wait what? The UI was already at 1080p upscaled. I no longer have my Xbox One because I traded it in anticipation of the Series X arriving but how do you change the UI resolution without changing everything?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It means that all that power has already not meant anything once. If it’s so powerful it should always have better performance options with 3rd party games. Also, one x didnt have a 4K UI. Another “most powerful console” that was actually more powerful than the pro
I looked it up, you're right about the UI. They reserved that power for games, seemed like the right decision given that the anemic CPUs were still able to do Native 4k 60 on some titles, and native 4k 30 on a host of others. My bad on that.

Still, you can't judge a game before it actually hit's store shelves. It's kinda like when the enhancements were coming out for the One X and remember how Titanfall 2 was claiming "6k" visuals. The patch drops and the game did worse on the Xbox One X than the PS4. It was due to an error on the Respawn's end in this case and was eventually fixed.

I'm not saying straight up that since the Xbox Series X is more powerful it's automatically going to have better visuals than the PS5. Regardless of what's been shown up to this point, people need to wait for actual releases before they start saying one version is better than the next.

So 4k matters now and isn't a stupid waste of resources as some have been saying for weeks now? But it only matters on the UI and not as much for games? Just like ray tracing is a waste of resources but awesome in Spiderman and only good in Watch Dog on PS5? Jesus.. it's whiplash enducing as fast as some of you change directions on what is important or not. Some of you must be terrible to go to a restaurant with as indecisive as you seem to be about things.

Its a UI. Who gives a fuck? Personally I dislike the UI on my PS4 in 4k as much as I would dislike it in 1080P. And I never even noticed the UI on my One-X was in 1080P and they are both on a nice 65" 4K Samsung TV. Mountain out of a mole hill to say the least.

FrankWza

I looked it up, you're right about the UI. They reserved that power for games, seemed like the right decision given that the anemic CPUs were still able to do Native 4k 60 on some titles, and native 4k 30 on a host of others. My bad on that.

Still, you can't judge a game before it actually hit's store shelves. It's kinda like when the enhancements were coming out for the One X and remember how Titanfall 2 was claiming "6k" visuals. The patch drops and the game did worse on the Xbox One X than the PS4. It was due to an error on the Respawn's end in this case and was eventually fixed.

I'm not saying straight up that since the Xbox Series X is more powerful it's automatically going to have better visuals than the PS5. Regardless of what's been shown up to this point, people need to wait for actual releases before they start saying one version is better than the next.

i know. But the one x was a lot more powerful on paper than PS4 pro and turned out to be more powerful and there were performance gaps on multiplats. Just like launch titles last gen swayed to the PS4 side because the PS4 was more powerful than xb1. Watch dogs is 4K 30 FPS with rt on both systems. If the power of x is that much greater, it should be 4K 60 fps with rt. Unless the gap is negligible.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
i know. But the one x was a lot more powerful on paper than PS4 pro and turned out to be more powerful and there were performance gaps on multiplats. Just like launch titles last gen swayed to the PS4 side because the PS4 was more powerful than xb1. Watch dogs is 4K 30 FPS with rt on both systems. If the power of x is that much greater, it should be 4K 6 60fps with rt. Unless the gap is negligible.
It could also be parity. Something Jim Ryan predicted (wrongly) when the 1X was released. I think it could be different this time and there are a number of factors now that weren't there when 1X was coming out. For example, PS4 Pro was released before the 1X and coronavirus affecting development currently could affect a developer's decision whether to allow parity or not. This may especially be the case because now they have to also develop for the Series S. I don't imagine they will do make special enhancements for the Series X simply because it's more powerful unless there's some sort of deal before hanf. At least not at the beginning of the gen with the climate the way it is now.

What will really be telling is a game like Cyberpunk 2077, who has a marketing deal with Xbox. Seeing how it ultimately runs on both once all day one patches and everything else is in place.

FrankWza

It could also be parity. Something Jim Ryan predicted (wrongly) when the 1X was released. I think it could be different this time and there are a number of factors now that weren't there when 1X was coming out. For example, PS4 Pro was released before the 1X and coronavirus affecting development currently could affect a developer's decision whether to allow parity or not. This may especially be the case because now they have to also develop for the Series S. I don't imagine they will do make special enhancements for the Series X simply because it's more powerful unless there's some sort of deal before hanf. At least not at the beginning of the gen with the climate the way it is now.

What will really be telling is a game like Cyberpunk 2077, who has a marketing deal with Xbox. Seeing how it ultimately runs on both once all day one patches and everything else is in place.
We’ll see. All console BS aside, this was a shitty year and in a month we’ll all be happy with our console or consoles we’re getting and we can enjoy some games and the holidays. We all deserve it.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
For me it’s sucks handshaking between different resolutions. I use several matrix switchers and use several displays in my media room.

Changing from one resolution to another is always a pain. Best case scenario it takes a few more seconds to display in the correct Rez....worst case I need to do the handshake process again.

That’s ANY time you are in a game and head out to the dashboard.

FrankWza

For me it’s sucks handshaking between different resolutions. I use several matrix switchers and use several displays in my media room.

Changing from one resolution to another is always a pain. Best case scenario it takes a few more seconds to display in the correct Rez....worst case I need to do the handshake process again.

That’s ANY time you are in a game and head out to the dashboard.

someone brought this up with a solution somewhere earlier. I wish I had it for you. I know it’s a pain. My receiver isn’t 2.1 so I’m going direct into my tv next gen so I don’t have issues. On Apple TV I force resolution because it does that switch delay. It’s annoying

Jigsaah

Gold Member
We’ll see. All console BS aside, this was a shitty year and in a month we’ll all be happy with our console or consoles we’re getting and we can enjoy some games and the holidays. We all deserve it.
If I could go back and find a post I did back before we knew PS5's specs, I predicted that 9-10 TF would easily be able to do native 4k. FPS is more depending on the CPU, which I think Xbox has a very slight advantage in. My whole point was that...the only time this is going to matter is MAYBE mid gen, once more advanced games are coming out from 3rd pt, where they are really pushing what both consoles can do. Just to mention 1st party, I feel Sony is going to absolutely mind fuck us with the exclusives. I'm especially talking about Horizon and though Microsoft's studios have a lot to prove, I am feeling optimistic about the talent The Initiative has on board.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
someone brought this up with a solution somewhere earlier. I wish I had it for you. I know it’s a pain. My receiver isn’t 2.1 so I’m going direct into my tv next gen so I don’t have issues. On Apple TV I force resolution because it does that switch delay. It’s annoying
I have no issues with my pc in that room or the ps4 pro (assuming I am not playing an HDR game).
I don’t uses the XOX in that room now, it’s out in the garage hooked to only one display.
The XSX is going out there as soon as it arrives so I will just avoid the issue.
I can play anything on the PC that I would play on the SXS, which is a great benefit of MS’ platform.

AllBizness

Banned
Because I can share my take on whether a sharp UI is generally desirable or not without being an xbox customer. If it hurts your feelings, you can block me or whatever.
A high resolution ui is desirable in the same way high resolution computer monitors are. The higher the resolution the more text, data, and details can appear on screen. PS4 Pro 4k ui is an immediate noticable upgrade over base PS4 ui due to being able to fit more games and apps on the screen at once.

Aidah

A high resolution ui is desirable in the same way high resolution computer monitors are. The higher the resolution the more text, data, and details can appear on screen. PS4 Pro 4k ui is an immediate noticable upgrade over base PS4 ui due to being able to fit more games and apps on the screen at once.
The first time I turned on my PS4 Pro after upgrading to a 4K TV it was a nice surprise. I had completely forgotten that the UI is 4K and there is no better test of whether it makes a big difference or not than that. It'll probably be better on PS5 since the assets, themes...etc will be designed for a 4K TV, plus I'm interested to see what HDR adds.

Anyway, yeah I agree. I do mention that in my other post. Although I think it's more important on a PC since they are productivity machines.

Last edited:

IDappa

Will wait until the PS5 SSD size is confirmed before caring. If anywhere close to what is being reported at under 700GB then I would rather live with less snazzy UI demanding less space. That said, I hate how bleak the XSX UI is. At least allow wallpapers
I'm pretty sure you can add custom wallpapers. I think anyway. I know for sure you're able to use artwork you unlock via achievements from games you play. I unlocked my wallpaper when killer instinct came out and have had glacius there ever since. Along with customising what you have on your home dash and quick menu plus colour changes I like to think there's plenty of customisation you can do on the dash. I just don't muck around with it too much.

IDappa

i know. But the one x was a lot more powerful on paper than PS4 pro and turned out to be more powerful and there were performance gaps on multiplats. Just like launch titles last gen swayed to the PS4 side because the PS4 was more powerful than xb1. Watch dogs is 4K 30 FPS with rt on both systems. If the power of x is that much greater, it should be 4K 60 fps with rt. Unless the gap is negligible.
Is texture quality, particle effects ect the same on both platforms?. I haven't followed the watch dogs discussion at all really.

INC

Because it makes no sense , thats why

You can't go around like McGregor, bowling around, bragging about shit, like most powerful console, 4k 4k 4k 4k 4k

Oh but the console UI is on 1080p............

Is it a big deal?......no not really, but I mean wtf.........just seem like a massive contradiction

You guys seriously need your eyes checked if 1080p is "blurry" to you. It's a system with limited amount of fixed RAM. So if it means more RAM for games, then awesome for the consumer. Sony should also consider this considering their set up.

FrankWza

Is texture quality, particle effects ect the same on both platforms?. I haven't followed the watch dogs discussion at all really.

At this point I think all we know is they are both 30fps and 4K with RT. The comparison videos are at least a couple of weeks away I would guess. We’ll see. One will load 1 second faster and the other will hit 33 FPS instead of 31. People will argue.

IDappa

At this point I think all we know is they are both 30fps and 4K with RT. The comparison videos are at least a couple of weeks away I would guess. We’ll see. One will load 1 second faster and the other will hit 33 FPS instead of 31. People will argue.
To true.. Once next gen games start to drop it's going to get interesting around here that's for sure .

Zathalus

If the Xbox UI RAM reservation is less then the UI reservation that the PS5 has then I can see it being a good idea, if it is not, or is the same, then Microsoft really need to pull up their socks.

Last edited:
The voting options are complete shit.

Its about the bar being raised. Gamepass, xcloud, MS games on PC, etc and all the things MS have done have raised the bar and the expectations people have. Once that happens, your idea no matter how good it is just looks worse in comparison. Like Playstation Now for example. Good idea that just looks worse now cause of gamepass raising the bar.

The PS5 UI raised the bar. Its sleek and intuitive and makes the xbox UI just look bad since the bar was raised there as well.

The xbox UI is fine, but it looks and feels like a gigantic half step compared to what playstation have done.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If the Xbox UI RAM reservation is less then the UI reservation that the PS5 has then I can see it being a good idea, if it is not, or is the same, then Microsoft really need to pull up there socks.

Another area where having less RAM reserved as buffer (faster SSD helps here) allows to sacrifice some extra memory for a fully 4K UI, but I think both should have it and hopefully MS optimises it for their consoles.

Tmack

A minor incovenience.

The real problem is that, as it`s right now, it`s another (small) red flag that build up with others (multiplat games with o RT on xsx, fewer games shown, etc) and starts to be worrying.

That can be a sign of problems ahead and that can men absolutely nothing. We`ll only know when both systems release.

A minor incovenience.

The real problem is that, as it`s right now, it`s another (small) red flag that build up with others (multiplat games with o RT on xsx, fewer games shown, etc) and starts to be worrying.

That can be a sign of problems ahead and that can men absolutely nothing. We`ll only know when both systems release.
Yes is so worrying that they sent out consoles to independent reviewers 2 months ahead of release... so concerned... so worrying... give me a break.

Last edited:

Connxtion

LG CX at 4K (upscale UI) I honestly can’t see what the issue would be 🤷‍♂️

50506262302_262cd2c16d_o_d.jpg

It’s crisp and clear and sitting 6ft away I couldn’t tell you it was 1080p as it doesn’t look like shit 😂

I suspect most of those who are disappointed won't even notice the difference, if this is not told to them.
And there is a reason if it's true. I'd like to hear why it's not 4k in first place, from developers.

And the PS4 Pro.
Yeah, PS4 Pro run games 1800p at best, with fucking checkerboarding but has 4K UI. Perfect for gaming I suppose.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

If a 4k UI helps you validate your purchase then so be it. Im not going to lose any sleep on a 1080p ui. Im sure it'll still look good on my LG CX.

FrankWza

Yes is so worrying that they sent out consoles to independent reviewers 2 months ahead of release... so concerned... so worrying... give me a break.

there are NDAs but it doesn’t matter because they’re going to patch in a 4K UI. They have to.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

people still talking about this, problem here is Sony side want to make this out as something against the power of the machine and Xbox side are trying to justify 1080p being ok

both sides are terribly wrong... 4k UI would be so much better and is needed, but the fact its 1080p doesnt mean there is a power problem, its just a choice by MS

iHaunter

Help me understand why some people are making a big deal over the fact that the home UI will run at 1080p? When 90% of us won’t even spend 10 to 15 minutes looking at the home UI. I don’t understand why, I mean at least for me I just look for something then I get to playing. As interesting as the Home UI for the PS5 is I’m not going to spend too much time on it.

It's entirely Phil's fault for running his mouth exclaiming "STRONGEST CONSOLE EVER BUILT" blah blah blah. Then having UI in 1080p in the end. I think it's just funny, I don't plan on buying XSX anyway.

Top Bottom