• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some making a big deal that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

Does it matter that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

• Who cares it’s just a Home Screen.

Votes: 219 67.8%
  • No, I’m canceling my preorder.

Votes: 104 32.2%

• Total voters

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Funny that the truth is we've been hearing all year is a whole lot of screeching that nothing matters except the games.

Now the same users that screech "BUT GAEMS GAEMS GAEMS!!!" are all of a sudden home UI aficionados and that UI resolution is the one and only important thing about consoles.
But thats because they have no first party line up for a launch of a new console when all they touted was power so its embarassing in the last 4 years they havent got their shit together........still!

Neofire

Only Xbox Series X users would have a problem with it, I could care less lol but those same people were making a fuss about having to remove one screw 🤷🏿‍♂️

The Xbox One X was marketed as the world's most powerful console that was focused on 4k, but had a 1080p UI.

According to DF, Microsoft planned 1GB RAM set aside for the dash being 4k when devs were like hey, we can use that for games.

If their reasoning for having the UI be 1080p is the same, ie more resources for games, on Xbox Series - then I don't think most will care at all.
I think that’ll depend entirely on how visible those apparent game improvements are.

I’d take a 720p UI if that meant every SX game could run at 4K60, for example.

martino

So many people on this forum argue that 4K is a waste of resources and developers are wrong for chasing it, yet demand the UI is in 4K?

So 4K is unimportant in the game itself, but greatly important on the dashboard you use to launch said game?

In what world does this even start to make sense?
arf i missed a meme button opportunity here.

Last edited:

Arun1910

You're saying that 1080p on 4K tvs may look bad and so 1080p blu-rays may look bad too with your logic.
Unless you have this weird position that only 1080p UIs can look bad while 1080p content can still look good on 4K TVs.

I'm sure you can still play Dark Souls III/Bloodborne on a PS4 Pro fine on a 4K TV despite the UI being 1080p.
I never said it wouldn't be fine i just said I find it weird.

If I buy a 4K console I expect everything to be 4K. The menus of all things especially. But that's just my expectation.

Again, doesn't really bother me but I find it extremely odd.

Ulysses 31

I never said it wouldn't be fine i just said I find it weird.

If I buy a 4K console I expect everything to be 4K. The menus of all things especially. But that's just my expectation.

Again, doesn't really bother me but I find it extremely odd.
I prefer for content to run at native screen resolution too but some people come off as if 1080p looks blurry like old VHS tapes on 4K TVs and you seemed one of them. :p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Any specific reason why the UI runs at 1080p ? Why not 4K ?
Apparently it's a vram issue. Ps4 pro added a gb of extra dram for the os and they still needed an extra 0.5 gb for the 4k ui.

Ms wanted to make more vram available for games. It's the right choice. If next week Sony comes out and says that they only have 12.5 gb for games versus Microsoft's 13.5 gb, everyone will turn on Sony.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think it's nice the PS5 will be able to do SOMETHING in Native 4K even if it's only the UI.

Personally I don't give af about the UI I'm just glad the Series X will be doing GAMES in 4K and also focusing on 60fps.

FeiRR

Banned
The Xbox One X was supposed to have a 4K dashboard. MS went on record saying it would have cost an extra 1GB of RAM. Devs preferred more RAM and so MS ultimately decided to make the dashboard 1080P. Great choice tbh.
Any source to that claim? 4K framebuffer in 16-bit (which means with HDR) is 53 MB.

Caio

Apparently it's a vram issue. Ps4 pro added a gb of extra dram for the os and they still needed an extra 0.5 gb for the 4k ui.

Ms wanted to make more vram available for games. It's the right choice. If next week Sony comes out and says that they only have 12.5 gb for games versus Microsoft's 13.5 gb, everyone will turn on Sony.

So we have to wait and see how much ram PS5 can use for Games VS XSX 13.5 gb. Just imagine if even PS5 can use 13.5 gb or very close to :D

Ulysses 31

the game is 1080p. Why refer to in game UI at all? Makes no sense. The pro has a 4K UI. What does the pro have to do with your point otherwise?
Because it's an example of a 1080p UI on a 4K screen which still does its job fine.

I'm going against the narrative that 1080p in current year is low rez/blurry on a 4K screen.

I don't think people are unreasonable to think XSX would have an OS UI rendering at 4K.

FrankWza

Because it's an example of a 1080p UI on a 4K screen which still does its job fine.

I'm going against the narrative that 1080p in current year is low rez/blurry on a 4K screen.

I don't think people are unreasonable to think XSX would have an OS UI rendering at 4K.

but the console OS UI has more text and potential to look blurry vs in game. That’s what I think the issue is for the most part. That and the switching handshake issues

reinking

Gold Member
It is not a must have. It is a nice to have. I prefer HDR/4K because my tv switches into that mode when launching a game. Having it already in HDR/4K eliminates a little flicker during that transition but it is not big deal. I survived it this gen. I will next gen too if I have to.

It does make me wonder (concerned troll ahead turn away if you are a MS Fanatic) if MS is just not ready for next gen. They seem to be behind when it comes to polish and software.

Caio

I think it's nice the PS5 will be able to do SOMETHING in Native 4K even if it's only the UI.

Personally I don't give af about the UI I'm just glad the Series X will be doing GAMES in 4K and also focusing on 60fps.

Well, it depends from Game to Game, and sure Native 4K will not only be for the UI.

FrankWza

you gotta checkerboard if you want next gen features like ray tracing. At leastfor launch exclusives like Spider-Man MM. we’ll see what happens down the road. In the meantime Theres launch exclusives to play with ray tracing

oldergamer

This topic is a shit fest. MS already stated the reason why they told previewers to not focus on it. Simple reason was it was not included in the preview OS. MS has already stated that 4K will be supported when xbox ships.

I don't know what people are continuing to go on about. it's all fake concern and worse when the question has been answered!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
you gotta checkerboard if you want next gen features like ray tracing. At leastfor launch exclusives like Spider-Man MM. we’ll see what happens down the road. In the meantime Theres launch exclusives to play with ray tracing

True, I'm really looking forward to The Medium in full 4K with raytracing.
Lead Designer Wojciech Piejko talked in length about the game. When it came to the technical side of things, he did confirm that the game would support full 4K as well as ray-tracing, meaning this is going to be one pretty spookfest.

Ulysses 31

but the console OS UI has more text and potential to look blurry vs in game. That’s what I think the issue is for the most part. That and the switching handshake issues
HDMI 2.1 has quick media switching feature to solve hz/resolution changes without getting a black screen for several sec so I assume XSX(and PS5) support that.

Going back and forth between 1080p and 4K and how noticeable that would be really depends on the screen size and distance of the player. It still strikes me as more of a cosmetic issue that doesn't impede any important functionalities.

FrankWza

True, I'm really looking forward to The Medium in full 4K with raytracing.
@30fps. Enjoy
For slow paced games, 30fps is okay. When screens are essentially static, and camera movement is slow, 60fps does not add much to the experience.
....butthurt

On Demand

Banned
Because new generation consoles should have a new generation look and feel.

Look at these PS5 UI pictures. Save them and view them on your tv, 1080 or 4K

Very crisp, sharp and vibrant. Now imagine that in motion with its liquid smoothness. I'm not a stickler about resolution, especially for UI, but you can see why Sony decided to use 4k HDR for the dashboard. Not only because it's a new generation which should come with progressive things and improvements, but also because they're going to be displaying alot of information on the dashboard this time. Lots of text and video. 4K HDR makes perfect sense for that.

99.9% of the fucks bitching about this wouldn't have even known it was 1080p if it wasn't mentioned. Y'all of a sudden have peanut butter to spread on y'all's dicks in this dog licking console war. Man, fuck y'all.

99.9% of people wouldn't notice the difference between true 4k and and dynamic either so I don't see how you can say true 4k in games is so important and handwave away a 1080p UI. And in any case, what you're saying is not true. A UI has a lot of text. It's very noticeable, especially on large screen TVs the difference between text at 4k vs 1080p.

MaulerX

Any source to that claim? 4K framebuffer in 16-bit (which means with HDR) is 53 MB.

"Scorpio contains a total of 12 GB of system memory, as Microsoft announced when it revealed the console’s hardware specifications in April. At the time, Microsoft said the console would reserve 4 GB of RAM — one-third of the total — for system functions. The company explained that while the Xbox One held back 3 GB of its 8 GB of RAM for that purpose, Scorpio needed an extra 1 GB to run its interface at 4K resolution. It seems that Microsoft’s engineers have figured out how to get Scorpio to run its system processes with just 3 GB of memory."

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Those points are hardly a deal breaker especially since most wont even see a difference in ui resolution.

I find it hard to believe... they will not notice resolution at all were it is most noticeable, but then will notice 4K vs dynamic 4K in post process heavy games.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
"Scorpio contains a total of 12 GB of system memory, as Microsoft announced when it revealed the console’s hardware specifications in April. At the time, Microsoft said the console would reserve 4 GB of RAM — one-third of the total — for system functions. The company explained that while the Xbox One held back 3 GB of its 8 GB of RAM for that purpose, Scorpio needed an extra 1 GB to run its interface at 4K resolution. It seems that Microsoft’s engineers have figured out how to get Scorpio to run its system processes with just 3 GB of memory."

X1X doesn't have 4k UI either so this text is wrong in many places and the tweets it links don't mention resolution at all. Anyway, the difference between 1080p and 4k framebuffer is about 50 MB, 5% of 1 GB.

FrankWza

I don't understand the power arguments. If the XSX doesn't have a 4k UI it implies there is an issue with its power? As stated the PS4 pro had a 4k UI and X1X did not. So the PS4 pro was more powerful?

simple. The pro was underpowered vs 1x of course since it came out a year earlier(2016), Yet it included 4K UI . The 1x didn’t which was fine at the time (2017)
That was half a gen and many 4K screens in people’s home ago. Time for 4K UI in 2020. More 4K screens will follow with new gen and Christmas upon us. If this gen lasts 6-7 years 8k will be more common at that point.

Derktron

Banned
I have an 85 inch 4K HDR TV and I don’t sit that far away, 1080P UI is blurry and quite honestly just pathetic for a 12TF console meant to stick around until 2027.

I have both a Series X and S on preorder and I am excited to get them, but the UI resolution is just a huge disappointment.
I can see where you are coming from if you have a big ass tv I can see why that’s an issue but then again you are small majority who even has a big enough tv to notice a difference. So that’s why I think it’s not a big deal.

Kssio_Aug

I don't know why it's not. But that's far from a big deal for me. And I believe that if they find it relevant enough they can update it in no time.

Derktron

Banned
It will be there eventually, they simply prioritized more important things for launch, which makes sense.
That’s what I’m thinking, even they themselves said that it could definitely change over the future if enough people complain about their experience is bad especially for those who have a big TV then I’m sure they’ll change it.

LordOfChaos

Is it a big deal like it should change your console of choice, definitely no.

But it's also funny that some of the same group were probably talking up the next gen power difference as if they could see 17% more power on a 4K screen from couch distance, but now insist they can't see the difference between a 1080p and 4K UI.

Anywho. If they wanted to give an extra half gig to game developers, that's fine with me. The PS4 Pro already had the best solution to this though. Add a gig of cheap and slow DRAM memory, put the UI there, and still return half a gig of freed GDDR memory. So the 4K UI doesn't take away from the pool of GDDR.

Last edited:

Esppiral

So we have to wait and see how much ram PS5 can use for Games VS XSX 13.5 gb. Just imagine if even PS5 can use 13.5 gb or very close to :D

Given the load of stuff the ps5 UI puts on screen I highly doubt it, the cards the picture in picture thing among other things, if any thing ps5 UI is eating a lot of ram, cpu and GPu resources.....

The answer is pretty obvious, console fanboys. Everything is a big deal. Every positive for their console of choice is a GAME CHANGER and every negative for the competition is an indication the war is over. It's all really fucking irritating, but it is what it is. As the great Ron Perlman once said, war never changes.

Last edited:
I guess it's another price they pay for their stupid decision of making underpowered Xbox S part of new family
Plus they cheapened on ram setup with only 10 gigs getting maximum speed so they have to cut features now.

HTK

Banned
It's just nit-picking to fuel these dumb console wars. Wish there was more passion for going after cheaters, strike packs, etc...

Top Bottom