• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't anyone ever tell me black mold is fatal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really won't kill you, but it can lead to respiratory problems. I suffer from asthma and mold and mildew will definitely make it worse. Most of the 'black mold will kill you're stuff is promoted my injury lawyers.

That said you should get it taken care of or move.
Also I don't know how you lived your life with a fucking leak like that.

Docpan

How old are you OP? Just wondering how long you've been out on your own. You don't leave a fucking leaky ceiling with mold to rot for years. Like, what goes through your head to think "oh, let me just wait until the leaking is done before I shower"

My focus is squarely on making money, drinking liquor, and Tinder. Anything else is a nagging inconvenience that I deal with when urgently necessary.

I think it's a pretty general rule that when something resembles a Resident Evil enemy you're supposed to wonder if it's bad for you. Like I doubt anyone told you it's bad for you if your skin starts flaking off or if worms poke their heads out of your body either.

My focus is squarely on making money, drinking liquor, and Tinder. Anything else is a nagging inconvenience that I deal with when urgently necessary.
I'm 23 and I think I'm a few years too old for this kind of lifestyle. Had no idea 30 year olds even knew what Tinder was.

OP is a creepy uncle in training.

Might save some money by not being on the hook for repairing that stuff after ignoring it for years.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Do you bring Tinder dates back to the infestation to feed it?

Water can also rot the wood supporting the tenent above you. Why in the hell would you think water leaking from the ceiling isn't a big deal?

Jackpot

Banned
Hey, so uh, not to change the subject or anything like that, but...

Do you guys think I could get some free rent out of this or...?

Dude, you're the one on the hook for the damage. It's in every single lease agreement that the tenant "report any issues in a timely manner" before significant damage occurs.

Forget the mold, the real issue is how much damage a year-long leak has caused the ceiling. You can kiss your security deposit good bye.

Wow, you're issue sounds exactly like the one I had about 4 years ago... except I didn't stay there and I had them "fix" it like 3-4 times. I finally took them to court and that was a really bullshit experience. I got out of there with as soon as my year was up.

My ceiling ended up collapsing once.... maybe twice? Thank god I was never in there when it happened, however I did take showers with the quicknessss. (especially since there was rarely any hot water)

It doesn't happen to be Hayco Managament does it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFexwOh87ig

I have pictures somewhere mushrooms growing out of my ceiling.
Found Them:

MU5LInE.png
i7RzkVr.png
rDi0LWS.png
Wp3E7VR.png
KXepARk.png
02OuOKb.png
8ZU4DyC.png
FdvqgTv.png
PGB8TiI.png
nJJLdGU.png
bXvT0hA.png
PWhvXFt.png
cToybMG.png
RXnAfCE.png

The weird crop is cause I needed the dates for court. You can see in one of the pics there's a black trash bag near the pipe, before I even moved in that was someone's solution... I had 3 different supers within that year cause their job was such a nightmare.

The Argus

Few things:

First not all black mold is that black mold. Stachybotrys chartarum is the one to be scared about, and it's pretty rare. It does not grow on fiberglass or tiles, but OP mentioned that this was on the ceiling which could potentially be affected. Basically it always needs to be moist, and a wet ceiling would be a nice place for that. Definitely have this looked at, though I'd be more worried about the state of the ceiling from all that water damage.

Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover is your friend for shower/tub molds. Works like a charm.

Docpan

Wow, you're issue sounds exactly like the one I had about 4 years ago... except I didn't stay there and I had them "fix" it like 3-4 times. I finally took them to court and that was a really bullshit experience. I got out of there with as soon as my year was up.

My ceiling ended up collapsing once.... maybe twice? Thank god I was never in there when it happened, however I did take showers with the quicknessss. (especially since there was rarely any hot water)

It doesn't happen to be Hayco Managament does it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFexwOh87ig

I have pictures somewhere mushrooms growing out of my ceiling.

The weird crop is cause I needed the dates for court. You can see in one of the pics there's a black trash bag near the pipe, before I even moved in that was someone's solution... I had 3 different supers within that year cause their job was such a nightmare.

Nah it's not Hayco but I am in NYC. Hilarious how reminiscent your damage looked to mine. (Not as bad as your last few pics. Dude that's bad bruh, nah I couldn't see the wood paneling of the floor above me lol)

So from day one I've had a leak in my bathroom ceiling stemming from the tenant above me. Basically any time they ever showered it would rain down in the bathroom. I didn't consider it urgent since it was over my tub anyways, so the leak would just pour down my drain and I would just shower in between the downpours.

Seriously?!? That shit is a giant red flag for anyone. good thing you weren't showering and had a fucking bathtub fall through the floor on top of you

Nah it's not Hayco but I am in NYC. Hilarious how reminiscent your damage looked to mine. (Not as bad as your last few pics. Dude that's bad bruh, nah I couldn't see the wood paneling of the floor above me lol)
Haha, that largeness of the hole in the last few pics was because they cut it bigger to get a better look. It's sad to know that this happens as frequently as it does.

notacat

Well, it's a good thing your dad was on things, making sure Silent Hill didn't spawn out in your house.

Buy that guy a beer.

You have Google.

Like I'm sorry I don't care how lazy you are, your ceiling was leaking for a fucking year and you thought that was just fine?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Still dude...

Being in construction basically my whole adult life I have seen some horrific mold stories. There was one time we had to gut an entire 4 stories worth of drywall in a stair case due to water exposure and eventually mold. We kept bleaching it but it kept coming back then eventually we just nuked it by ripping the shit out.

The things that some people are willing to live with disgust the crap out of me. I get grossed out by black scum on the sides of showers let alone a giant rotting black hole in the ceiling dripping into my tub.

I think I'm gonna puke just thinking about it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Few things:

First not all black mold is that black mold. Stachybotrys chartarum is the one to be scared about, and it's pretty rare. It does not grow on fiberglass or tiles, but OP mentioned that this was on the ceiling which could potentially be affected. Basically it always needs to be moist, and a wet ceiling would be a nice place for that. Definitely have this looked at, though I'd be more worried about the state of the ceiling from all that water damage.

Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover is your friend for shower/tub molds. Works like a charm.

No. Not even "that black mold" is scary. It's bullshit. Do some actual research.

The things that some people are willing to live with disgust the crap out of me. I get grossed out by black scum on the sides of showers let alone a giant rotting black hole in the ceiling dripping into my tub.

I think I'm gonna puke just thinking about it.
Seriously. I get anxious when my toilet bowl starts looking dirty.

Genuinely curious what the rest of OP's apartment must look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom