• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it taking Nintendo so long to release New Super Mario Bros?

Idioteque

This was one of the first DS games they showed back when the DS was unveiled during E3 2004. Pretty much all the other games that were shown then have already been released.
It shouldn't take this long to complete a damn handheld game.

I'm sure the game will be great when it's released, but the wait is killing me. :(

bumpkin

You can't rush perfection.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Good things come to those who wait.

...need I go on? :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Nintendo really likes to dick around with the TRUE Mario games for some reason.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is Nintendo's biggest asset. They need to polish it until there is 3+ next to the A.

Idioteque said:
all the other games that were shown then have already been released.
It shouldn't take this long to complete a damn handheld game.

Cause they need to have a laaaaaaarge amount of DS available when NSMB will ship

Oblivion

Moor-Angol said:
Cause they need to have a laaaaaaarge amount of DS available when NSMB will ship

The marketing campaign for this game better be fucking huge. It's not just any ordinary Mario game, but the first all new one since Super Mario World, 15 YEARS AGO!!

Luckett_X

Banned
It was one of the reasons I bought a DS in the first place, so the wait is also beginning to get to me. Its one of the few reasons I still have a DS at this point!

Surely it must be at least a Q2 and at the very latest a Q3 release?

Don't rush them. This is the good side of Nintendo, the one that won't release a game until it's not only done, but makes other 'done' games look bad. At least, I hope that's why. Same for Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Oblivion

Luckett_X said:
It was one of the reasons I bought a DS in the first place, so the wait is also beginning to get to me. Its one of the few reasons I still have a DS at this point!

There was an issue of Famitsu that had 4-5 games (including the new Mario) whose release dates were all February (EXCEPT Mario). So I would assume sometime in the Spring.

suaveric

Luckett_X said:

I'd say between E3 and the Rev launch. I can't see them having one Mario game over shadowing another (Rev vs DS)

Ronok

SMB delayed to include Revolution functionality! Or something.........

<--- Shouldn't have posted........

Oblivion

johnsmith said:
First all new 2D one. Big difference.

You talkin to me?

This game has me immensely excited. I was a bit scared when I noticed there was no flying item seen in the videos, but with the new info that Mario can wear koopa troopa shells, and get new powers, my fears seem to have been alleviated. I hope there are more items, though.

Because they're adding the coolest new ability since the Hammer Suit:

NewSMBKoopaShell.gif

Super Princess Peach is coming out in the US in February or March, that'll calm the need for SMB platforming for a little while.

New SMB was really being stuck together just-in-time at the last trade show we saw it at (I remember someone mentioning that they talked to the reps, and the levels shown had just been designed for that trade show, E3 or TGS, whichever it was), so they obviously needed quite a while to get all the levels and assets designed and really polished. It might still take them a while, but if they don't have it done before E3, they probably will showcase a near-final version there. And it'll be awesome.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
my most anticipated DS title... fuck Pokemon( I still want it :p)... bring on the Mario!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Seventh Son said:
why does this come out on the DS? Fucking nintendo again, let them make a true mario game on a console.

Patience. You will get your new console Mario with Revolution (and it better damn well be at launch).

Where is that Mario shell power up stuff from? Is that new/recent? I don't remember hearing about it before but I haven't kept up with New SMB that much.

I wonder how many DS will be sold in Japan on NSMB launch week...

but the funny thing could be with a confirmed April release : The second Easter come :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Master Pain (Betty) said:
Where is that Mario shell power up stuff from? Is that new/recent? I don't remember hearing about it before but I haven't kept up with New SMB that much.
it came from a magazine scan, it's old I believe.

Grug

First proper 2d Mario game since Super Mario World.

Take all the time you need Nintendo, get this one right!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I really haven't kept up alot with this game, but will there multiplayer/online modes? I remember seeing some old videos of two players playing a level at once.

I hope they add more to the 2nd screen than just a powerup holder. The 2 screens could be used for greater vertical scrolling of levels like in Sonic Rush (just played a little but it seemed implemented well). Viewtiful Joe had 3d on both screens as well, just something more interesting than a giant mushroom or flower.

I'm excited even if it's 'only' a new 2d Mario but the other stuff would be nice.

SantaC

Archie said:
I really haven't kept up alot with this game, but will there multiplayer/online modes? I remember seeing some old videos of two players playing a level at once.

there will be co-op. However if it will have onlien co-op is unknown.

Oblivion

taku said:
A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever..

AM I RITE?

Bingo. Nintendo's got a lot riding on this, so anything less than the greatest game ever is gonna be unacceptable.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Why is it taking so long? Because it's not December 2006 yet and Nintendo wants to make sure they have a huge game for Christmas.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Fuzzy said:
Why is it taking so long? Because it's not December 2006 yet and Nintendo wants to make sure they have a huge game for Christmas.
Don't say things like this even if they are true :(

Grug said:
First proper 2d Mario game since Super Mario World.

Take all the time you need Nintendo, get this one right!

Actually, the last real 2D Mario platformer was Super Mario Land 2 for Game Boy.

SMW release: November 1990 (Japan), August 1991 (US)
SML2 release: October 1992 (Japan,) November 1992 (US)

Of course, that was a much smaller-scale game than SMW, so I guess it depends on your definition of "proper."

JavyOO7

I don't want this game to suck. If Nintendo feels this game will suck, then don't release it until it's AAA quality. I think it will release in December. I would'nt mind waiting that long eitherway, DS 2006 has a packed line-up and we are not even in E3 yet.

Oblivion

Takashi Tezuka did say that co-op was gonna play a major role in the game, or something to that effect.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I hope this game is at GDC. It's probably much easier setup (and space wise) to bring in lots of DS's rather than consoles. And since Nintendo really doesn't have anything to show except Zelda (though I have a feeling Odama will make an appearence), there should be more room for the handheld.

Top Bottom