• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it taking Nintendo so long to release New Super Mario Bros?

Spike

Don't rush them!! I want to see a Pikmin 2 level of quality and polish for this one. Take your time, Nintendo!

Jonnyram

The same question was asked by a reader in this month's Nintendo Dream.
It seems like they're just putting a lot of stuff into the game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Spike said:
Don't rush them!! I want to see a Pikmin 2 level of quality and polish for this one. Take your time, Nintendo!

QFT. This year's release schedule is crowded enough as it is. Don't mess this one up!!!!

dock

Everyone was expecting Mario Kart on launch, but I'm glad that it got the extra year of polish. I wouldn't expect to see this before July/August, Nintendo know it'll be a timeless game they can see for the duration of the DS.

Notice that Nintendo don't seem to want to do sequels to certain titles now? I don't think we'll see another Mario Kart on the DS, and this will be the only 2D mario - better to get it perfect, right?

dock UK said:
Notice that Nintendo don't seem to want to do sequels to certain titles now? I don't think we'll see another Mario Kart on the DS, and this will be the only 2D mario - better to get it perfect, right?
Miyamoto has always said that it's only because of the fan's desire that he continues to work on Mario and Zelda sequels. Otherwise he'd be off doing new shit like Pikmin and Nintendogs all the time.

(I don't mean "new shit" in a bad way, because Pikmin is awesome and Pikmin 2 fucking ROCKS!)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to zoom around in a blue shell. I hope they have some cool co op stuff that will make people want to hurt each other when one of you can't play for shit. Also want to kill some badies with the blue shell backpack. That looks hot. hopefully the super giant mario thing is minimal.

I don't believe Mr. Miyamoto will allow another Mario game to be released (and by that I mean the "main" Mario series) unless it meets to 100% of his approval.

I think he really takes it personally when a Mario game isn't as well recieved ... is it really a surprise that the two most highly revered Mario titles ... Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario 64 came after what were generally considered somewhat dissapointing installments (be it commercially or critically) in Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels) and Yoshi's Island ... which is a great game, but I think it really burned Miyamoto to see Donkey Kong Country get more attention.

You gotta love Mr. Yamauchi praising DKC so much as well, it's kinda like the Emperor letting Darth Vader know he's expendible :lol

Peru

Yoshi's Island was great... DKC may have gotten more interest, but I don't think Miyamoto was dissapointed with the masterpiece of beauty Yoshi's Island was.

Take your time with new SMB, got enough games to play from here to the moon.

ioi

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I don't believe Mr. Miyamoto will allow another Mario game to be released (and by that I mean the "main" Mario series) unless it meets to 100% of his approval.

I think he really takes it personally when a Mario game isn't as well recieved ... is it really a surprise that the two most highly revered Mario titles ... Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario 64 came after what were generally considered somewhat dissapointing installments (be it commercially or critically) in Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels) and Yoshi's Island ... which is a great game, but I think it really burned Miyamoto to see Donkey Kong Country get more attention.

You gotta love Mr. Yamauchi praising DKC so much as well, it's kinda like the Emperor letting Darth Vader know he's expendible :lol

Yep. I really hope they are pulling out all the stops for this one, as it could really be huge !

ziran

i think yoshi's island still stands up today as a great game, especially by those who loved it back on the snes. whereas, imo, the rare donkey kong country games haven't aged well.

i'm really looking forward to new mario bros i think it's going to be (and i want it to be) a masterpiece, so take your time nintendo :)

Ulthwe

Does Yoshi's Island not count, especially since it was called Super Mario World 2?

The original japanese name is "Super Mario: Yoshi's Island", so I consider the "Super Mario World 2" in the US and EU names just a marketing thing.

I personally consider it the best 2d platformer ever.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I really need to play Yoshis island one of these days.

ioi

Banned
Ulthwe said:
The original japanese name is "Super Mario: Yoshi's Island", so I consider the "Super Mario World 2" in the US and EU names just a marketing thing.

I personally consider it the best 2d platformer ever.

I do agree with soundwave though that it wasn't all that well recieved commercially:

Super Mario Bros NES Nintendo 6.81 29.52 3.91 40.24
Super Mario World SNES Nintendo 3.55 12.97 4.09 20.61
Super Mario Land GB Nintendo 4.19 10.99 2.96 18.14
Super Mario Bros 3 NES Nintendo 3.84 9.69 3.75 17.28
Super Mario 64 N64 Nintendo 1.92 6.87 3.10 11.91
Super Mario Land 2 GB Nintendo 2.70 2.59 2.23 11.18
Super Mario Allstars SNES Nintendo 2.12 6.08 2.35 10.55
Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land GB Nintendo 1.59 2.53 1.07 5.19
Super Mario Sunshine GC Nintendo 0.87 2.93 1.34 5.14
Super Mario Bros DX GB Nintendo 0.20 3.45 1.42 5.07
Super Mario Advance GBA Nintendo 0.92 2.22 1.28 4.42
Super Mario Advance 2 GBA Nintendo 0.91 2.35 1.10 4.36
Yoshi's Island SNES Nintendo 1.77 1.75 0.60 4.12
Super Mario Advance 4 GBA Nintendo 0.60 1.24 0.75 2.59
Super Mario 64 DS DS Nintendo 0.85 1.14 0.54 2.53
Warioland 3 GB Nintendo 0.51 1.21 0.48 2.20
Warioland 4 GBA Nintendo 0.54 0.83 0.79 2.16
Super Mario Advance 3 GBA Nintendo 0.57 1.15 0.43 2.15

Donkey Kong Country SNES Nintendo 3.00 4.43 1.87 9.30
Donkey Kong 64 N64 Nintendo 1.10 3.31 0.86 5.27
Donkey Kong Country 2 SNES Nintendo 2.21 2.10 0.84 5.15
Donkey Kong Land GB Nintendo 1.08 2.00 0.83 3.91
Donkey Kong Country 3 SNES Nintendo 1.77 1.26 0.48 3.51
Donkey Kong Land 2 GB Nintendo 0.00 0.00 0.00 2.35
Donkey Kong Country 2001 GB Nintendo 0.34 1.06 0.79 2.19

So:

Yoshi's Island SNES Nintendo 1.77 1.75 0.60 4.12

vs

Donkey Kong Country SNES Nintendo 3.00 4.43 1.87 9.30
Donkey Kong Country 2 SNES Nintendo 2.21 2.10 0.84 5.15
Donkey Kong Country 3 SNES Nintendo 1.77 1.26 0.48 3.51

was a bit of a mauling...

(numbers are Japan / US / Other / Total)
http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/worldtotals.php

Jiggy

Probably because the Mario franchise is a Miyamoto brainchild, and much like every other Miyamoto brainchild, he tries his level best to introduce something completely new and strange every single time another entry in the series. Cel-shaded Zelda, suits in Super Mario Bros. 3, two-game connectivity in Zelda, Yoshi in SMW, FLUDD in SMS, etc.

I blame game reviewers, really. IMO, they're largely the ones responsible for this all-too-common mindset that a game just can't be good if it has too much similarity to the first. Yeah, sometimes there's overkill--see Mega Man, Namco arcade collections, or just about anything from EA--but I really don't see a problem with taking a formula that worked the first time around and reusing it maybe one or two times.

Fatalah

Just a quick question guys. I don't own a DS, but this game looks like a classic.

It'd be great if the DS library could work with the Revolution.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
soundwave05 said:

Totally makes sense. Which explains why Shiggy is also so focused on Zelda: TP, since people complained about WW. We should make Shiggy angry more often. :D

jarrod

Banned
Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island were developed in parallel actually. Mario 64 wasn't really a "response" to criticism of Yoshi's Island at all, not like Mario 3 and Mario 2 or Zelda III and Zelda II.

Oblivion

Archie said:
man you need demi's custom title posthaste!

Don't argue with the truth.

No, but seriously. I enjoyed YI, it's just that I don't think it deserves the "king of 2d platformers" title. That's reserved for SMW. :)

Vark

Ark-AMN said:
I hope this game is at GDC. It's probably much easier setup (and space wise) to bring in lots of DS's rather than consoles. And since Nintendo really doesn't have anything to show except Zelda (though I have a feeling Odama will make an appearence), there should be more room for the handheld.

Last year they just had a Juice bar with a DS at each seat and the pre-requiste booth babes with systems attached to their belts.

For the GC they just had a couple of Kiosks. 6? something like that.

The GDC expo floor is tiny compared to E3 and isn't as focused on 'play our new games'.

Kobun Heat said:
The E3 demo levels were obviously thrown together really, really quickly. The mechanics were there but the game was not.

Please tell me they had the jumping mapped to the "B" button. I don't want another Princess Peach or Mario Kart DS here.

Don't you all know how it works? Everytime you touch yourself, God kills a kitten and Nintendo delays a game you want another day.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Fatalah said:
Just a quick question guys. I don't own a DS, but this game looks like a classic.

It'd be great if the DS library could work with the Revolution.

that question was so quick I didn't even see it!

super mario supermario supermario super MARIO

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:
Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island were developed in parallel actually. Mario 64 wasn't really a "response" to criticism of Yoshi's Island at all, not like Mario 3 and Mario 2 or Zelda III and Zelda II.

Well, they may have been started at the same time but Yoshi's Island was released a good year before Mario 64.

jarrod

Banned
ioi said:
Well, they may have been started at the same time but Yoshi's Island was released a good year before Mario 64.
Sure, but Yoshi's Island had it's focus pretty much set at the same time as Mario 64. It wasn't intended to be an "everything and the kitchen sink" type Mario like Mario 3/World, it was going to be a uniquely engaging "side" game to hold SNES Mario fans over. The visuals did get a major reworking last second though, in response to DKC.

Also, Mario 64 was nearly a year late to market. :p

Joester

Banned
I hope they delay it as long as they have to, to make it like Mario games of old. Nothing would be better than to have old school gaming goodness meshed with the Revolutionizing capabilities of the DS.

We have waited for 11 years to get a sequel in the line of 2D Mario's. Whats another 9 months or so?

human5892 said:
It's because they are replacing all of the 3D models with sprites.

/dream :(
They could at least cel shade it or something. It just looks so generic and uninspired. I've no doubts that the game will be great, but visually it's a disappointment.

Ranger X

I must contribute to Yoshi Island clan by stating again that this game RULES.

It rules over all 2d platformers except (maybe) Super Mario Bros 3 and Donkey Kong Country 2.

Oblivion

Pedigree Chum said:

YOU SHUT YOUR GODDAMNED MOUTH!

The only thing Yoshi's Island had over SMW was "probably" the final boss battle. And even then that's stretching a bit.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Oblivion said:
YOU SHUT YOUR GODDAMNED MOUTH!

The only thing Yoshi's Island had over SMW was "probably" the final boss battle. And even then that's stretching a bit.

Yoshi's Island is the greatest 2-d game ever made. It trumps SoTN, All the other marios, and every other genre you can throw at it. I like to think that the entirety of 2-d gaming culminated into that cartridge and produced perfection.

Cheebs

rainer516 said:
Yoshi's Island is the greatest 2-d game ever made. It trumps SoTN, All the other marios, and every other genre you can throw at it. I like to think that the entirety of 2-d gaming culminated into that cartridge and produced perfection.

SMB 3 > SMW > YI

Ah, so THERE you are, ambassador of Bizarro World. Whoops! You've mirrored everything again. Let's fix that:

SMB 3 > SMW > YI

Back to correct.

The visual style of YI actually drove me away at first, it just really bothered me (and for Miyamoto to always be going on about gameplay and such, that was a pretty frivolous graphical change). And those vehicle morphing sections... I don't know, the game just didn't do it for me.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
It's likely taking Nintendo so long to release the game because they simply want to make the game as good as they could possibly make it. I'd prefer they take that route instead of rushing it out because a few fans are screaming for it.

Oblivion

Kulock said:
The visual style of YI actually drove me away at first, it just really bothered me (and for Miyamoto to always be going on about gameplay and such, that was a pretty frivolous graphical change). And those vehicle morphing sections... I don't know, the game just didn't do it for me.

Agreed. They could have just used SMW's graphics. It could have better that way.

why dont they make a new Mario Bros?

Hmm, i dont know, maybe cause if they dont make a Mario game that forever changes the face of gaming people claim that it is utter shit and forever flame it. Ok, I get it, you dont like Mario Sunshine as much as Mario 64, but does that really make it a shitty game? Seriously, Ive heard Shadow the Hedgehog receive more praise than Sunshine on this board.

Oblivion

Suburban Cowboy said:
why dont they make a new Mario Bros?

Hmm, i dont know, maybe cause if they dont make a Mario game that forever changes the face of gaming people claim that it is utter shit and forever flame it. Ok, I get it, you dont like Mario Sunshine as much as Mario 64, but does that really make it a shitty game? Seriously, Ive heard Shadow the Hedgehog receive more praise than Sunshine on this board.

Dude, I don't think you quite understand. Mario has a colossal legacy to live up to. Sunshine was a good game, but not "great". Tekken can get away with being "good". Castlvania can get away with being "good". But not Mario. Comprende? :)

Fatalah

catfish said:
that question was so quick I didn't even see it!

super mario supermario supermario super MARIO

Oops! Hah! My question was if you guys think DS games could be apart of the Revolution's "virtual console" feature?

Madame M

Banned
MAYBE THEY ARE USING TIME TO MAKE IT GOOD

It looked like ass when it debuted, the recent videos showed promise so hopefully when it releases it will not make me want to murder people like it did when it debuted.

Peru

Best, worst, 2nd best, let's forget that. The _truth_ is that YI is the most beautiful platformer ever made. The graphical style is unbelievable, hadn't been that charmed, wowed, impressed before, and not since, until LoZ:WW.

Top Bottom