• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it taking Nintendo so long to release New Super Mario Bros?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Peru said:
Best, worst, 2nd best, let's forget that. The _truth_ is that YI is the most beautiful platformer ever made. The graphical style is unbelievable, hadn't been that charmed, wowed, impressed before, and not since, until LoZ:WW.

YI isn't the prettiest either. And CERTAINLY not WW, either.

I hope this game has a ton ... a *ton* of levels.

It would be crazy if they remixed levels from Mario 1-3/Mario World as bonus unlockable stages or something.

Fatalah said:
Oops! Hah! My question was if you guys think DS games could be apart of the Revolution's "virtual console" feature?

Well you have to figure they've adopted some sort of handheld compatiblity for every console they've launched since the GB hit the market, so it has to be coming in some form for the Revolution.

The DS itself would obviously be a challenge to emulate because of the touch screen, though not really impossible. Just not sure the experience would be worthwhile in many cases (and of course plenty of people would argue that would be emulating the DS perfectly :p )

I'm thinking they may offer a virtual console for handheld games, however to try to leverage their handheld strength, they might let you take the games on the go in the form of either a revised DS or a completely new handheld all together (we can pretty much be sure both products are on the way regardless) that can communicate wirelessly with the Revolution. With a revised DS they could remove the GBA port to reduce costs/space, but then use the virtual console as a way to offer up compatilbity, and even add in GB games.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
soundwave05 said:
I hope this game has a ton ... a *ton* of levels.

It would be crazy if they remixed levels from Mario 1-3/Mario World as bonus unlockable stages or something.

That is the single greatest idea I have read in a week. I love it! That would be awesome.

rainer516 said:
Yoshi's Island is the greatest 2-d game ever made. It trumps SoTN, All the other marios, and every other genre you can throw at it. I like to think that the entirety of 2-d gaming culminated into that cartridge and produced perfection.

While I wouldn't exactly agree with this (Mario 3 is still tops in my book), Yoshi's Island is a very close second. SMW is the crappiest mario game IMO, yes even worse than Mario 2. Oh Snaps.

*runs*

jett

D-Member
Oblivion said:
And you are in denial

Nah he's right.

While I wouldn't exactly agree with this (Mario 3 is still tops in my book), Yoshi's Island is a very close second. SMW is the crappiest mario game IMO, yes even worse than Mario 2. Oh Snaps.

*runs*

Holy crap, I'm not alone. SMW indeed sucks(compared to other marios).

Wow, what's with the Super Mario World hate? Did you guys actually play it when it launched on SNES? I thought it was great then and it still is great now IMO, the multiple exits, star worlds, and ghost houses were awesome.

GitarooMan said:
Wow, what's with the Super Mario World hate? Did you guys actually play it when it launched on SNES? I thought it was great then and it still is great now IMO, the multiple exits, star worlds, and ghost houses were awesome.

Its the same with DKC for me, it was good for its time but aged terribly. Its kinda sad that YI got overlooked cause of DKC, cause IMO YI absolutely destroys DKC and has aged myc better, both in gameplay and in graphics.

Mrbob

GitarooMan said:

Hellz yeahz. Super Mario World is still the best Mario game! :D

Oblivion

Word. And the fact that you could enter the same level again, and how the controls were fucking tight (I could stop on a dime). Not to mention you could ride Yoshi and dispose of him when needed. :)

Oblivion said:
Word. And the fact that you could enter the same level again, and how the controls were fucking tight (I could stop on a dime). Not to mention you could ride Yoshi and dispose of him when needed. :)

Yoshi was useless in SMW, if it wasn't for YI he'd still be useless.

Worst to me is SMB2j. It really does scream "hack," with jury-rigged additions designed just for annoying difficulty, like piranha plants coming out even if Mario's near the pipe, air-flying bloopers, multiple Bowsers in a level, block overhangs set up to abuse the physics system so that you were likely to smack on them and rocket down into a pit instead of making the jump... I actually did like the wind, but it wasn't favorable enough to the player.

SMW I didn't like as much as SMB3, for a number of reasons (won't get into the details), but I did still enjoy it, and when I watched someone do a speedrun through Super Demo World: The Legend Continues (an extremely hard hack of SMW, designed to showcase many of the things FuSoYa was able to do with the game), it really was stunning to see their mastery of the cape flight system and other little physics quirks, such as juggling multiple items as they travelled, at the very least it shows that there's a significant depth to some aspects of the game. I was disappointed when I watched the SMB3 speedrun and found no such flourish, it was all very cut and dry "run through here, jump and glitch through this wall" stuff.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SMB3 is the best Mario IMO, the music, the power ups, the world everything was so fucking magical god I love that game.

Tiger

Banned
It's a sad travesty that we've had the GBA and the DS now, and we still haven't seen an all new 2d Mario game. Nintendo has just lost touch with it's base. Sad. :/

Tigerriot said:
It's a sad travesty that we've had the GBA and the DS now, and we still haven't seen an all new 2d Mario game. Nintendo has just lost touch with it's base. Sad. :/

I agree, I don't even like 90% of their 3D stuff but I absolutely LOVE their 2D games...the fact that Punch-Out and a new Mario never graced the GBA pisses me off.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
SMB3 is the best game in the series.

SMW isn't bad, mind you, but it doesn't quite reach the glory that is SMB3.

fresquito

My favorite Mario game is Super Mario 64, then it´d come SMW, then SMB1, then SMB3, then SMS, then SMB2 and finally YI. In fact, I don´t consider both SMB2 and YI, to be Mario games. SMW is for me the pinacle of 2D platformers, just a co-op mode could have improven what was otherwise perfect.

Odd as it sounds, I´m not anticipating the New SMB very much. From what I´ve seen so far there´s nothing that moves me to go wild. The artistic design is much worse than the last 2D Mario incarnation (YI), and from what has been shown, I certainly can´t get too much excited. Probably the promise that there will be at least a hundred worlds, wifi play and tons of secrets could do wonders, now if they just could promise me that... Still I´m getting it, it´s a Mario game, and that can´t be bad at all.

catfish said:
I really need to play Yoshis island one of these days.

Yes you do. I'm a HUGE 2D Mario fan but missed YI, eventually got it for GBA and wowza, I was excited to wake up in the morning to play the game, haven't felt like that with a game in AGES... I didn't finish it though :( the difficulty skyrocketed on later levels and I stopped playing it for a while, then one of my little nieces deleted my save data! ugh!

I plan to replay it on the GB Micro some time.

And since we're doing this: SMB3 >= YI > SMW

Acrylamid

nine words said:
Odd as it sounds, I´m not anticipating the New SMB very much. From what I´ve seen so far there´s nothing that moves me to go wild. The artistic design is much worse than the last 2D Mario incarnation (YI), and from what has been shown, I certainly can´t get too much excited
It's all about the gameplay... and that's top-notch, at least it was my favorite demo at Games Convention 05.
It plays like a classic Mario 2D Platformer but you can also use moves from Mario 64 like the douple jump and the wall jump.
It's the best of two worlds - and you can play it on the go.
What more can anyone want from a videogame? GOTY 2006!

fresquito

Acrylamid said:
It's all about the gameplay... and that's top-notch, at least it was my favorite demo at Games Convention 05.
It plays like a classic Mario 2D Platformer but you can also use moves from Mario 64 like the douple jump and the wall jump.
It's the best of two worlds - and you can play it on the go.
What more can anyone want from a videogame? GOTY 2006!
Yeah, I understand this, and that´s why I´m getting it. I know it will be one of the best titles of the year, if not the best. It´s just that I cannot get excited just by watching some videos (and so few as they´ve shown).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Naked Snake said:
Yes you do. I'm a HUGE 2D Mario fan but missed YI, eventually got it for GBA and wowza, I was excited to wake up in the morning to play the game, haven't felt like that with a game in AGES... I didn't finish it though :( the difficulty skyrocketed on later levels and I stopped playing it for a while, then one of my little nieces deleted my save data! ugh!

I plan to replay it on the GB Micro some time.

And since we're doing this: SMB3 >= YI > SMW

ok, sold if I can find it.

Damn straight. Co-op was really fun at E3, and it would really be special if online.

Can you elaborate on the co-op any? How does it work? Do you just race each other or are there sort of puzzle type things?

Damn I hope the co-op stuff in this game is awesome. It should have a lot of really silly but cool stuff like 4swords. Like the pot of the head and being able to pick up other links.

That shit was classic fun.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Damn I hope the co-op stuff in this game is awesome. It should have a lot of really silly but cool stuff like 4swords. Like the pot of the head and being able to pick up other links.

That shit was classic fun.

You just made me think... they need to make Four Swords for DS, I always wanted to play it but the required hardware and cables was too expensive... With DS that should be eliminated.

SS4Rob

kablooey said:
For kicks:

YI > SMB3 > SMW

Anyone who disagrees is delusional.

QFT. YI = the epitome of 2D platforming. SMB3, the perfect Mario game. SMW while good just doesn't shine anymore like these the others still do. Go play them again to see. Next discussion plskthx.

Oblivion

SS4Rob said:
QFT. YI = the epitome of 2D platforming. SMB3, the perfect Mario game. SMW while good just doesn't shine anymore like these the others still do. Go play them again to see. Next discussion plskthx.

I have and SMW still conquers all.

Top Bottom