• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Retro working on Donkey Kong such a disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tayaya

Nintendo has more than one internal development house that can craft a competent platformer. Retro is capable of making experiences that break the mold of Nintendo's usual core franchises, and do them incredible amounts of justice - look at Metroid Prime. It broke the traditional Metroid format, and gave us something entirely new while still feeling like Metroid. AND it was gorgeous.

To see them re-imagine something like Starfox or even just add their undeniable 3D polish to a new Pilotwings or Wave Race would have been great!

Tuck

Waste of talent.

Because they could be working on something better.

better being = more inventive and more interesting

Because Nintendo already has a whole lot of platformers. They got that area covered. A successful publisher has a variety of content. Furthermore Retro Studios is talented and even furthermore Nintendo need new IP's. It's just a waste of talent and opportunity.

Pretty much all that. The Wii U has so many 2D platformers already. It doesn't need more. It needs big, exclusive 3D action adventures.

Moaradin

They could be doing something that couldn't just be farmed out to one of Nintendo's B-teams. Or the devs who just shat out that 30fps 3DS port of DKCR.

Lol DKCR is one of the finest platformers ever made. You really think some B team will be able to accomplish the same?

skull kid

For some reason, people expected something new or at least a resurrection. This has little to do with the fact the game looked great.
Some others wanted Metroid.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Consider: this game is coming out in five months. We don't have wait long for Retro to be working on something else. They've probably already started their next project, in fact.

Though the comment about "choosing between Metroid and DK" seems to imply they'll be doing a Metroid next, not something brand new.

(Which I'm okay with, because I'd kill to see a Metroid Prime on the Wii U hardware.)

Yado

I wanted a new IP. There's no shortage of platformers on the Wii U and DK isn't a franchise I care for.

I agree that it's not quite a megaton announcement or whatever and I would have preferred Metroid simply because we haven't had a good Metroid since Prime 3, Other M was a disaster, and we just got DKCR on Wii and a 3DS port.

That being said, it's fucking Donkey Kong Country and David Wise is scoring. I have no problems with this at all.

codhand

the presentation is 2013, but gameplay is strictly 1994, not a bad thing, but not what i want from my favorite studio of a generation ago.

seems like the safe bet, from dev and sales standpoint, a next-gen metroid fps is a much more daunting task

Because there's a stigma against 2D platformers as "real" games.

Ask yourself: Would anyone be complaining if it was a massive DKC 3D platformer?

More imaginative possibilities and it is an opportunity to show off Retro's graphical talents. I don't think there's really an argument here. We have been smothered with 2D platformers for years now. It's time to let Retro show us what they can do with an HD system.

Appleman

Yep, it's straight up absurd. I would have even preferred a new Metroid, but I totally realize that a new DK makes much more sense, the devs wanted to do it, and DKCR is fucking awesome. This game will be stellar, I can't believe people are angry about it being "a rehash" or that "they've played it before". Could you imagine saying that stuff back in the day? There's been ONE DKCR game, and it was on a last gen system.

We're all waiting for a next gen Metroid, and it will come eventually, but everyone thinking that 3D World means we won't see a new Mario in a different style, or that DKCR2 means that we won't see a Metroid needs to look at the bigger picture. This is just a collection of great games to hold out for the next year, when there'll be more great games in the pipeline.

AGITΩ

DKCR came out, what? 2 years ago?
Just got released last Month on the 3DS.

So Its not really a breath of fresh air. A lot of the Stuff I saw yesterday just looked like "We're reusing 3DS assets, cuz HD development is tough. So they'll be out sooner!"

The only good news I see from this is that the game comes out this year, meaning its nearly completed and then they can start working on another game. That we wont see for another 2 years....
Its DKCR3

Murrah

Banned
I'm disappointed in the fact that Nintendo seemed to finally throw their hands up and concede that Nintendo consoles should only appeal to Nintendo fans. Game looks great, easily my most hyped Wii U game of the year, and David Wise composing is personally almost as big a megaton announcement as Mega Man in Smash. But there was nothing fresh in their whole direct, and a sequel to DKCR, no matter how good it'll be, was kind of the epitome of that since I expect more from Retro

Obv still buying and will enjoy the shit out of it though

Yawnier

Banned
Some of the disappointment from what I've seen is that the game is definitely not at the top of the top tier in terms of graphical prowess for it's time, unlike something like lets say Metroid Prime which blew minds in 2002/2003. Graphics are definitely not everything, but its just something I've observed from various people.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
the presentation is 2013, but gameplay is strictly 1994, not a bad thing, but not what i want from my favorite studio of a generation ago.
The gameplay of DKCR was not 1994. The Wii-mote made damn sure of that. Hated the way the controls worked. :mad:

It plays better on 3DS *BUT* runs at a shitty framerate which kind of ruins it.

Graphics are definitely not everything, but its just something I've observed from various people.
Definitely true. The visuals are good, but not as impressive as I would have expected from Retro.

Subtle

Hey Retro wanted to do it, let them. They were on the Metroid train for quiet awhile.

Edit: the graphics look fine it's just they're not playing with the lighting enough.

Duxxy3

Because we just got a Donkey Kong game 2 weeks ago but haven't seen a decent Metroid, F-Zero or Star Fox in years.

The Boat

It's fair to say Nintendo could have used Retro for something new or at least different to diversify their Wii U catalog. By the end of the year Wii U will have loads of platformers, which is great, but they could use something different.

Most of the hatred on GAF and the internet comes from people wanting epic things or Metroid with little regard for the fact that we're getting a sequel to a phenomenal game, because for some reason platformers aren't worthy of good developers and should be made by C teams and released on the eShop for $1.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
"Our rampant and baseless speculations didn't turn out to be true! Fuck you, Retro!"

Jarmel

Banned
Lol DKCR is one of the finest platformers ever made. You really think some B team will be able to accomplish the same?

So what? It doesn't matter whether a B team could do it or not. The better question is this all Retro is capable of?

entremet

I loved DKC:R. I'm hyped for another!

MP was getting super stale. I'm glad they made another platformer. FPS's are getting tired. I know MP is more FPS Adventure, but my opinion stands.

chadboban

I think it's because Donkey Kong is getting enough attention right now as is. He has Mario vs Donkey Kong 3DS, DKCR 3D and not to mention he's in smash bros and mario kart.

Now, I am looking forward to this especially seeing that David Wise is making a return as composer for this game and personally thought DKCR was one of the best 2D platformers ever made but...

I think people would've wanted to see them work on something new or at least try to revive Metroid or Starfox. It was a surprise, but not the kind of surprise we were looking for. I think it also didn't help that the Direct didn't have that one big game that we knew absolutely nothing about as a surprise at the very end.

Don't get me wrong, overall I thought they had a solid showing, but they really did lack that one big Zelda E3 2004 or January Monolithsoft type reveal that would've definitely made the direct better.

codhand

The gameplay of DKCR was not 1994. The Wii-mote made damn sure of that. Hated the way the controls worked. :mad:

It plays better on 3DS *BUT* runs at a shitty framerate which kind of ruins it.

i just bought the 3ds version and the wii version since i got the wii u, so hearing another dk is just not what i wanted from a studio i'm fanboy stupid over.

"Our rampant and baseless speculations didn't turn out to be true! Fuck you, Retro!"

rampant yes, baseless, no.

AGITΩ;62959711 said:
DKCR came out, what? 2 years ago?
Just got released last Month on the 3DS.

So Its not really a breath of fresh air. A lot of the Stuff I saw yesterday just looked like "We're reusing 3DS assets, cuz HD development is tough. So they'll be out sooner!"

The only good news I see from this is that the game comes out this year, meaning its nearly completed and then they can start working on another game. That we wont see for another 2 years....
Its DKCR3

By the time DKCR2 comes out, DKCR1 will be 3 years old. That's plenty of time for a "breath of fresh air," especially in a world where game sequels are coming seemingly yearly now.

I like how EmCeeGramr put it:

I hate that analogy. I had no issues with Donkey Kong Country Returns. It was a great game. A sequel isn't a bad idea.

The problem is that it's not new. I didn't want a steak or a hamburger, I wanted some crazy hybrid peanut-butter set on fire with drizzle of marshmallow fluff. I wanted something that made me remember the WiiU exists and is more than just more of the same.

Donkey Kong isn't "underneath" Retro. What is underneath them is creating a game that wastes their talent at art design and inventive uses of level design.

Because there's a stigma against 2D platformers as "real" games.

Ask yourself: Would anyone be complaining if it was a massive DKC 3D platformer?

No, because unlike 2D platformers there's no saturation of 3D platformers at all, either on Nintendo consoles or the industry in general. It may actually be *gasp* something fresh and new.

That's the kind of thing Nintendo needs, for one of their top studios to make a game that turns heads in E3 among the Killer Instincts, Watch Dogs, Final Fantasies, and Kingdom Hearts of the show. I'm sorry to say Yet Another 2D Platformer: The Sequel isn't that. Don't be surprised if this game doesn't impact the WiiU's sales charts all that much.

Yep. Blame the gaf hype. Two years of Retro speculation threads about what artists they hire, what building they use and whatever nonsense people were digging up only to culminate in Donkey Kong must have hurt some people

I'm more annoyed the DKC games aren't up on virtual console yet. Should have announced those right along side the new one

For me, it's solely because I want some new IP's that cater to me.

That said, I think the new DKC game looks fantastic and I will own it.

dark10x

By the time DKCR2 comes out, DKCR1 will be 3 years old. That's plenty of time for a "breath of fresh air," especially in a world where game sequels are coming seemingly yearly now.
If they hadn't just re-released it on 3DS it would certainly feel different.

Apparently platformers are a waste of time for some people? I don't really understand >.<
How about they work on a DIFFERENT platformer then? I don't mind another platform but I really didn't want another Donkey Kong title.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For all the arguments about wanting something "fresh and new," I can guarantee you this level of whining wouldn't be happening if it was another Metroid Prime game.

RPGCrazied

Cause its been like 3 years since we last had a Metroid game. We just had a DKC game, and a port on the 3DS.

I think they could have made a Metroid 3DS game.

Tuck

For all the arguments about wanting something "fresh and new," I can guarantee you this level of whining wouldn't be happening if it was another Metroid Prime game.

Metroid Prime isn't a 2D platformer on a system with 5 other 2D platformers and almost zero 3D action adventures.

Appleman

The Wii-U is already oversaturated with 2.5D platformers so it would have been nice to see one of their most talented studios doing something a bit more special.

In my opinion.

Wait, isn't there only one retail 2.5D platformer for the Wii U? That's oversaturated?!

People were hoping for a system-defining game, something unique that blows everyone away. A sequel is a big disappointment.

Because the game engine of Donkey Kong Country Returns is mature at this point after the Wii and 3DS titles. I feel like it's more of an "art asset" game than a "team of great game designers" game.

Also, there are people who want Star Fox or F-Zero more than a DKC game, and collectively we trust Retro to handle both of those franchises appropriately.

DR2K

Banned
I seriously did not know it was a "bad" thing until GAF's servers went back up. Will be buying this day 1.

Cause its been like 3 years since we last had a Metroid game. We just had a DKC game, and a port on the 3DS.

It'll be 2 years between DCKR and DCKR2.

Pretty much all that. The Wii U has so many 2D platformers already. It doesn't need more. It needs big, exclusive 3D action adventures.

It has NSMBU... and that's it. It needs system sellers, and this would be one of them. I can assure you anything else they could have possibly made would not be the the game Nintendo needs. Platinum has you covered with 101 and Bayonetta 2.

dark10x

Well, this would be the first time they could create a Metroid Prime title on hardware that is significantly more powerful than the Gamecube so, yeah, it would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom