• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Retro working on Donkey Kong such a disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, Nintendo announced that Retro studios was in fact, working on the sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns. The previous game was one of, if not the best 2D platformer I've yet to play, and it's easily the best DK game, ever. Now, the scope will be bigger, there's a new story with new enemies and islands, and David-fucking-Wise is composing the soundtrack for the game.

What the fuck is the problem? People are saying that Retro are wasting their talent, there's too many platformers, and other such nonsense. What the fuck side of whose bed did I wake up on? Since when do we exist in a generation where there's an over-saturation of platformers? People are begging for a huge adventure game like Metroid for the Wii U because apparently DK is milked and Metroid is long forgotten. Okay... but that doesn't stop the fact that Retro previously made THREE Metroid games in the past, and one just came out a few years ago. Returns was the first Donkey Kong game since Jungle beat, and the first Donkey Kong Country game since, well, 3.

Over-saturation? Rehash? This is the sequel to a reboot of one of the most critically acclaimed side scrolling platformers of all time, and it looks even better than the original. And DAVID-FUCKING-WISE. How are people not excited for this? "Retro are working on Fucking Donkey Kong"? Damn right. RETRO ARE WORKING ON FUCKING DONKEY KONG, and it's gonna be dope as hell.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Because they could be working on something better.

better being = more inventive and more interesting

Because Nintendo already has a whole lot of platformers. They got that area covered. A successful publisher has a variety of content. Furthermore Retro Studios is talented and even furthermore Nintendo need new IP's. It's just a waste of talent and opportunity.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I absolutely love platformers, but I did not love DKCR. It was a solid game, but it never really clicked with me in the way I had hoped. I certainly didn't enjoy it anywhere NEAR as much as their Metroid titles.

While I'm excited to play it, I really wanted to see Retro try something new and different this time. That's really it.

Also, let's be honest, Nintendo could really benefit from a brand new IP from one of their in-house studios. Retro is a PERFECT fit for this task and could potentially deliver something really incredible that falls outside the wheelhouse of other internal studios. I suppose the "X" game from Monolith could be considered this, but it's basically a Xenoblade sequel.

Ridley327

A lot of people have long been hoping that Retro would finally get the chance to branch out into something original, as they certainly have the talent to do something great that isn't tied to a legacy IP. That day has sadly not arrived yet.

Van Owen

Banned
Because it's 2013 and the creators of one of the most immersive games of all time is making a 2d cartoony side scroller.

The Wii-U is already oversaturated with 2.5D platformers so it would have been nice to see one of their most talented studios doing something a bit more special.

In my opinion.

Edit: Also Donkey Kong Country Returns wasn't released that long ago, and was even re-released on 3DS recently. Would have liked to have seen some fresher IP

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
They could be doing something that couldn't just be farmed out to one of Nintendo's B-teams. Or the devs who just shat out that 30fps 3DS port of DKCR.

Linkhero1

The game isn't. We were all just expecting something new. I'm all for a new DKC game, but it would have been amazing to see something new.

Maxrunner

Because Nintendo already has a whole lot of platformers. They got that area covered. A successful publisher has a variety of content. Furthermore Retro Studios is talented and even furthermore Nintendo need new IP's. It's just a waste of talent and opportunity.

if just two got this as quickly why didn't Nintendo?

Persona7

Banned
I am sure it will be a good game but it seems like everyone was expecting them to announce something new and totally unique not attached to a existing property that they had been working on.

I guess there is always next year.

David Wise already locked Tropical Freeze in as my goty. For me personally, I highly doubt anything will top it. This is pretty much my dream game.

Neiteio

Waste of talent.
It absolutely is NOT. Few teams could create a platformer of Returns' caliber; it's one of the greatest platformers to date, and now the team who made it is making a sequel. Even more remarkable is the fact they still have so many creative ideas, and with the new camera angles and such they've found a way to make the game look even more dynamic. I'm pumped.

jjasper

Because people have wanted them to make a new IP since Metroid Prime was finished. And each time they don't more people get upset.

DMczaf

It's disappointing because I've already seen them do DK. I know people will point out that they made 3 Metroid Prime games in a row, but it's still disappointing to me. I want to see them tackle new franchises or IPs instead of just doing a follow-up sequel. They laid out the groundwork for how to do DKC again, hand that off to a new studio and let Retro reinvent another franchise or create a brand new IP.

eroots

Because there's a stigma against 2D platformers as "real" games.

Ask yourself: Would anyone be complaining if it was a massive DKC 3D platformer?

Berordn

Much of GAF was under the impression that Retro was working on something new, and many of those same individuals seem to hate Nintendo's existing properties.

I'm very excited for the new DK, but I'd rather them try something different.

My favorite food is sushi. But it would be like having sushi for lunch and then going back to the same place for dinner. It's not as special.

popeutlal

There are enough 2d platformers on Wii U, no need for another one.

Especially the one that doesn't look better than the SNES versions.

EVOL 100%

I think people were thinking that they'd do something more risky.

The way how the Wii U is selling, Nintendo be willing to take risks with their first party games is pretty much a pipe dream for now. I won't say I wasn't disappointed, but I don't really know what people wanted from them, or even what I wanted from them for that matter.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Because people were hyped for a new, fresh next-gen IP from one of their favorite studios to truly define the Wii-U.

Something crazy innovative, or an open world game or something. Instead, it's Donkey Kong.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm pretty sure Retro is working in something else too. If DK is a 2013 game, I'd expect their next title after that to be 2014.

New IP already, please.

I thought it a waste of a good Retro for them to have worked on the first DKCR, I think it's a waste of a good Retro to be working on a second one.

Besides, with the rise of indie gaming hitting mainstream you can't swing a dead cat without hitting twenty 2D platformers. I don't know where OP thinks there's no saturation because there is.

Zarovitch

Because i've been waiting for something new or a new Metroid.
But Donkey Kong will be a good game and i'm waiting to play it.

Jarmel

Banned
Because what they're capable of. DK isn't on the same level as say a large scale Star Fox, semi-open world Metroid, or a multitude of other things they could have done. It's a waste of their talents.

kinggroin

Banned
I absolutely love platformers, but I did not love DKCR. It was a solid game, but it never really clicked with me in the way I had hoped. I certainly didn't enjoy it anywhere NEAR as much as their Metroid titles.

While I'm excited to play it, I really wanted to see Retro try something new and different this time. That's really it.

Also, let's be honest, Nintendo could really benefit from a brand new IP from one of their in-house studios. Retro is a PERFECT fit for this task and could potentially deliver something really incredible that falls outside the wheelhouse of other internal studios. I suppose the "X" game from Monolith could be considered this, but it's basically a Xenoblade sequel.

Should have been the first post.

I mean, I'll likely buy it as I'm sure the gameplay will be tops, but we didn't need to revisit this series so soon....with the same developer.

I still don't believe Retro has been working on this for 3 years...I really don't.

They must have another team working on something else, I hope..

FauX

GAF Armada was expecting Retro guys were working on something else: Metroid, F-Zero (me), Star Fox, even Zelda.

Futureman

I think the biggest disappointment is that it's not a graphical powerhouse. Retro was always pushing Nintendo's hardware.

DK Tropical looks nice, but really not that much better than a Wii game. Mario Kart is more immediately stunning.

Retro's strength is art design and amazing level design.

We've already seen them attack Donkey Kong. We know what their levels will look and play like. Most of the art design is done already.

I'd rather have them try something different. I wouldn't want them to do Metroid either. I want something new and exciting, something that turns heads as much as Metroid Prime did in 2002.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There was already a giant complaint fest thread all about this. Lots of people explained their reasons there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It absolutely is NOT. Few teams could create a platformer of Returns' caliber; it's one of the greatest platformers to date, and now the team who made it is making a sequel. Even more remarkable is the fact they still have so many creative ideas, and with the new camera angles and such they've found a way to make the game look even more dynamic. I'm pumped.
Man, I wish I felt that way about the first game. I just never really found the controls to be as tight as I wanted (especially the inclusion of waggling) nor the level design as amazing as it could have been. Also, the music was awful and I didn't enjoy the DKC aesthetic. Those factors all worked against the game for me.

Frolow

Banned
I like how EmCeeGramr put it:

like, i understand

this famous chef that made three of the best steaks ever suddenly decided three years ago to make a hamburger and you were all "that's beneath that chef"

but then it turned out to be one of the best hamburgers ever made. like, god damn what a burger.

then you start salivating over their next dish. it's got to be a steak of some kind. you start dreaming about what kind of cut it'll be. the sauces.

and then they present to you another burger

it's okay to feel a little disappointed! just know that it's not demeaning to the chef, because it'll be just as great of a meal as any steak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom