• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the best fighting game on the DS not getting any love?!

It is actually really good, obviously only as good as you find UMK3 to be but if thats really good then you'll find this really good! :lol

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, always wanted a handheld perfect port of UMK3 and this game really bought the goods.

Its just the little details like remembering the unlocked characters (seriously one of the only versions of the game that does this :|) etc that makes it so sweet for an old MK fan like me... and having the moves and fatalities on the other screen is sooooooooooooooooo glorious in a MK game - its like carrying around a printed move list with you wherever you go. :D

Awesome stuff.

loosus

Banned
Fuck bleach, soap, and detergents!

I am so thinking about getting this. I used to be a huge MK fan.

I always had a thing for Killer Instinct, though.

Ramune

krypt0nian said:
Good thing you specified the DS because the best handheld fighters are on the NGPC. :D

Correct answer. Match of the Millennium still has no equal. And that click-stick.....

Anyway, yes, I too thought this was a Bleach DS thread, however, I didn't know this was even out. If it goes down in price, I wouldn't mind picking it up, but not right now.

Natedeezy

I haven't played Bleach yet, but UMK3 on the DS is an absolute blast...
The graphics are nice, and surprisingly the net code runs really smooth 90% of the time
I would definitly recommend this to any MK3 fan out there, especially for $30

sphinx

the piano man
I would LOVE to get this game but I'd feel bad with myself :(.

I already bought the XBLA game but I don't have a gold account so it was almost pure sillyess to have bought it.

Now there is this UMK3 DS game that plays well online but remains untouched, the same thing all the way.

I am not sure if the game is worth the XBLA points plus the 30 bucks.

I hope i can find a good deal sometime next year and buy it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Picked this game up yesterday thanks to a Best Buy gift card. Lots of fun, I've played it pretty much all afternoon.

FC is 2921 7836 6975 if anybody wants to play sometime.

Edit: Only thing that sucks so far is that I've gotten a lot of random error codes when seeking matches online. Like, after I've already connected to the WFC and stuff. Anybody else have this problem? Metroid Prime Hunters and Mario Kart seem to work fine.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Speaking of the Bleach fighting games, are we getting any of the other ones in America? Or should I just go ahead and grab the one that's already out?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Sylar said:
Yes! Nintendo WiFi without friends code!) is almost lag free but no one plays!!!

that's just like nearly every other DS/Wii game with online play.

jarrod

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Online Street Fighter on DS needs to happen. Needs.
In a perfect world, we'd get "for WFC" DS releases of...

-Hyper Street Fighter II Turbo
-DarkStalkers Chronicle
-Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
-Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
-Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

...DS is basically a handheld Saturn according to some, so where's all the great fighters and shooters? And why's Capcom content with basically continuing on like it was still GBA, when the platform's outselling even PS2? :/

Sylar

Banned
Nearly != every.

I can't beat Shao Kahn on Beginner level :( Bastard!

How do you activate the mode to do Animality? Or am I remembering wrong?

Also get that Bleach and Jump crap out of this thread. UMKS is very different then those games and as I said, those games are not and will not ever be MK.

vertopci

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

1. MK is shit.
2. Jump Ultimate Stars is the best fighting game on the DS by far.
3. MK is complete shit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
:lol Mortal Kombat fans... I don't even know what to compare them to.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Jesus, just don't come in this thread if you hold so much vitriol towards Mortal Kombat, ya silly trolls. Guessing ya'll are too young to remember arcades and can't comprehend the total face-ownage of Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 or something.

vertopci

Lost Fragment said:
Jesus, just don't come in this thread if you hold so much vitriol towards Mortal Kombat, ya silly trolls. Guessing ya'll are too young to remember arcades and can't comprehend the total face-ownage of Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 or something.

I remember arcades quite well. I also remember MK2 and MK3 were complete shit.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
vertopci said:

Status of vertopci's memory of arcades: established.

Now that that's settled, fuck off and leave us in peace.

Dice

vertopci said:
:lol so perfect.

Sorry LF, we've been haters for 15 years. You can't stop it.

I'll stay out of Official Appreciation™ threads, but this is free game.

Sylar

Banned
And I remember no one in America sans Japanophiles giving a shit about loli anime characters.

Get out of my manly thread!

Dice

Sylar said:
Get out of my manly thread!
You're the one who asked the question in the thread title. We are just telling you.

Next time try "UMK love thread" if that is what you are after.

Sylar

Banned
Well you're wrong. UMK3 is better than Jump. Jump and Bleach aren't even traditional fighting games.

If this was a "best anime non traditional fighting game" thread then you'd have a point; but it's not. It's a 100% american born manly thread of the best fighting game ever. Manly.

vertopci

Sylar said:
Well you're wrong. UMK3 is better than Jump. Jump and Bleach aren't even traditional fighting games.

If this was a "best anime non traditional fighting game" thread then you'd have a point; but it's not. It's a 100% american born manly thread of the best fighting game ever. Manly.

You just said "fighting game" not "traditional fighting game" in the title.

I just picked this up last nite and am enjoying it. The only thing that is bothering me is that it feels like some of the moves are left out, and I could really use a practice mode after all these years. Still for $30 with online multiplayer, and single kard, plus Puzzle Kombat, none too shabby.

Trying to find an open access point to try out the online, and will hopefully get some local match going this evening. Now if they will just give me a Street Fighter Alpha build......

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach DS is a fighting game.

You could argue that JUS/JSS are not fighting games. They are, but you could argue it.

I don't really like MK games after 2, but I'll definately pick this one up when I eventually find it for $20 or so.

Sylar

Banned
Man God said:
Bleach DS is a fighting game.

You could argue that JUS/JSS are not fighting games. They are, but you could argue it.

I don't really like MK games after 2, but I'll definately pick this one up when I eventually find it for $20 or so.

Bleach DS has cards in it, it isn't strictly fighting.

Ace 8095

jarrod said:
In a perfect world, we'd get "for WFC" DS releases of...

-Hyper Street Fighter II Turbo
-DarkStalkers Chronicle
-Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
-Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
-Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

...DS is basically a handheld Saturn according to some, so where's all the great fighters and shooters? And why's Capcom content with basically continuing on like it was still GBA, when the platform's outselling even PS2? :/
I would be there day one.

Mamesj

Banned
Lost Fragment said:

MK2 yes. MK3....not so much. that game was a huge letdown. UMK3 was good though.
but not as good as
0004460003500_L4.jpg

Main reason being that Bleach was built for the DS, it's made by Treasure, and has so much more replay value. A semi-serious fighter like UMK3 just doesn't fit all that well, while Bleach feels perfect. It takes strongly after Guilty Gear and Melty Blood, which means that even on another system, it would wipe the floor with UMK3.

oh and for the loli-animu comments-- get over yourselves. I'm not a big anime fan, I don't watch Bleach, but I am a gamer, and it's one of the best games for the system. Sucks if you're too insecure to play it.

edited embarrassing typo

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lost Fragment said:
Jesus, just don't come in this thread if you hold so much vitriol towards Mortal Kombat, ya silly trolls.

The OP asked a question in the OP. "Why is the best fighting game on the DS not getting any love?!" After finding out he was talking about Mortal Kombat, and not Bleach, the truth is getting out.

1.) Mortal Kombat is not the best fighting on the DS. Bleach is.
2.) Mortal Kombat was and always will be a poor fighter. Mortal Kombat was popular in an era where bad fighters were a dime a dozen and Mortal Kombat distinguished itself by being super-violent.

The OP opened the door to for criticism with the title of this thread. You can't open the door like that and expect nothing but love.

Also, I think it's very annoying that you used the word vitriol in a casual fashion. It doesn't make you look any smarter.

Sylar said:
And I remember no one in America sans Japanophiles giving a shit about loli anime characters.

Bleach isn't Doki Doki Majo Shinpan. Cut the retarded trolling. I'm pretty sure you don't even know what loli means.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ZealousD said:

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

Your opinion regarding MK's merit...er, positives != fact, though. Subjectivity and all that. And it's pretty annoying when people are all like "MK FANS R IDIOTS LOL ANIMU FOREVER" instead of just attacking the game.

Also, I think it's very annoying that you used the word vitriol in a casual fashion. It doesn't make you look any smarter.

First word that came to mind, and I didn't exactly think "shit I better use another word lest people think I'm pretentious." If people think I'm like deleting words and looking up more educated-sounding words in a thesaurus or something to sound smarter, then it's not true.

A large part of my life has been spent reading books. Not saying I'm smarter than everyone else, I'm just saying that written communication has largely influenced the way words come to mind. Yeah, it's something I've been trying to work on, because people do think I'm trying to sound smart.

Top Bottom