• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was Megaman 9/10 done with 8-bit sprites, instead of PS1/2/3 era sprites/models?

Eusis

But it's just Mega Man though. Capcom isn't even reinventing the wheel with this, they're just repeating what they did 25 years ago but on newer hardware.
I haven't played the [new] ducktales game but if it's like other Wayforward games (that are hand drawn and resort to motion tweening in select frames), it's more difficult than a NES game.
Duck Tales IS arguably harder than the NES game, but that had more to do with redoing level and boss designs than actually changing how it controlled. It still largely controlled the same and the maps are roughly similar to the NES ones. Both it and Mega Man are about as sophisticated design-wise.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the classic games always felt best with the proportion of MM's sprite to the entire screen being how it was in the NES games. I don't know if it was the same in MM8, but it felt off to me. And of course MM7 was like one of the Gameboy games. I think MM and Bass was ok, though. It's been a while.

I mean, it's not an excuse, and we are talking about Capcom here, but that's how I felt about it.

Rulp

This really irked me for a while. I love MM8 and the X series so I was off put when they reverted to the 8 bit style. It just strikes me as lazy pandering.

Glass Joe

The entire point was to be a retro throwback. But they should have made a new Mega Man X in the SNES style instead of Mega Man 10.

CO_Andy

Mega-Man-Universe_2010_09-03-10_01.jpg

Is this what you wanted OP? (screenshot of Megaman Universe)

I can understand complaining about Mega Man 10 for doing a repeat so soon (although it's still a great game), but Mega Man 9 is not only an incredible game, easily the best of the Classic Mega Man series, but it's a damn piece of art. 8-Bit is a perfectly valid art style provided it isn't flooded too much, and we don't get any big-name series revisiting old game styles so faithfully.

Some Nobody

I dunno, when they did Mega Man 9 I thought it was a neat little shout-out to old-school Mega Man. I wasn't mad at it at all, honestly.

...Now when they did 10, that's when I thought it was lazy. Personally that post on page one was probably on to something--if 10 had been in 3D, even if it had been a small, downloadable game only, I probably would've bought it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Cheap to make, can sell to MM2 fanboys, sounds like a solid strategy.

The idea that association with some "era" of things somehow affects a thing that comes long after is infuriatingly sickening. Crisis City stage in Sonic Generations is great, despite being a theme lifted from one of the worst Gen 7 games. Likewise, MM9 and 10 are heads and tails above MM2 and MM3 both in sheer polish of design, which is very lacking in the aforementioned, much beloved installments of old. I was definitely a bit disappointed when they revealed sketches for MM10 levels because ultimately the levels could've looked, and played, that much more interesting if they didn't have to limit themselves to the chosen style. Oh well.

And yes I just called MM2 out on not being particularly good.

This really irked me for a while. I love MM8 and the X series so I was off put when they reverted to the 8 bit style. It just strikes me as lazy pandering.

It totally is pandering. Most people only played Mega Man 2, so that's who they tried to appeal to. They didn't give a shit about long time fans.

tronic307

The games were a return to the roots of Mega Man. Capcom wanted to boil the series down to its essence to figure out where to take the franchise next. Trouble is, they're still scratching their heads.

I'm not seeing any sort of encumbrance here. I'm seeing lovable characters.

mmpu had cumbersome physics and controls due to the design of characters and the world and how both operated together.

and i have muscle memory for how things are processed and the response timing when playing 8-bit megaman. That's why sprites are usually preferred in 2D games.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yeah, there's no mystery about why Capcom went the 8 bit route, but I agree with the op in that these games should have been 16 bit and above.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be (even more) unpopular now, but NES games are pretty ugly. Yes, there are definitely some classics from that time, but gaming didn't start getting good until the SNES/Genesis came onto the scene.

Log4Girlz

Its about selling nostalgia and apparently it worked great. Loved the retro terribad american box art. That had me laugh so fucking much.

zoukka

Money. They are cheaper to make.
Know-how. Super detailed sprites are hard to make and the professionals are a dying breed.

But yeah, a 8-bit style game is like 100x cheaper to make asset wise than something like MMX4.

Aeana

The games would have had to have an actual budget to go beyond NES style visuals.

The games could have looked really different/more modern with exactly the same budget. I dunno what's so difficult with accepting the idea that it was a conscious choice and not the result of being hamstrung by anything.

Eusis

The games could have looked really different/more modern with exactly the same budget. I dunno what's so difficult with accepting the idea that it was a conscious choice and not the result of being hamstrung by anything.
Especially when it's clear they had to fight for that visual look. Even if that raised the budget it probably wouldn't be by as much as people suspect, and is probably a cost Capcom WANTED under the belief it'd help sales.

Aeana

To be honest, I think 9/10 were just a compilation of unreleased levels from the NES development days and Capcom put no effort into them at all.

There's stuff in both games that couldn't even be done on a real NES, and the games were designed by Inticreates, who had nothing to do with the original games.

zoukka

Emulating the 8bit look is much easier than trying to emulate the 16-bit look. That's a fact.

qq more

Emulating the 8bit look is much easier than trying to emulate the 16-bit look. That's a fact.

As someone who tried both, I'm having a much harder time with the former. Especially when you put limitations for consideration. I think it varies for different people, so I don't think that's always true honestly.

Aeana

Whether that's true or not is neither here nor there, because I am positive that both 9 and 10 had more resources available to them than garbage like Taito's Ys remakes, or Hudson's PS2 Bonk remake or the Sega Ages remakes of Phantasy Star 1 and 2, all of which look like cheap crap, but are more "modern" styled.

The bottom line is that they emulated the NES style because they wanted to make new classic Mega Man games that appeal to people who like those games, and it was a good way to pull those people in.

In hindsight that was a poor choice of words. I'm okay that they went that route, but if they had to tried to emulate the graphical fidelity of Mega Man 8 or the X series it would have been much more costly. I would bet ZX Advent had a higher budget than 9 and 10 combined.

Top Bottom