• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why wouldn't Democrats give Trump his wall to save a million DACA immigrants?

pramod

Banned
Why not give Trump funding for his wall in exchange for legalization of DACA?

The border wall is a colossal waste of money anyway, it won't help or hurt anyone either way - perhaps a bit of environmental damage, and you can reverse it all/tear it down four years from now. It's not even going to be that effective in its main purpose - stop more illegal immigration.

So, you're essentially paying $20 billion - $10,000 per Dreamer - to save somewhere around one million young people from being deported to countries where many of them don't speak the language or know anyone.

It is worth every penny, isn't it?

Because ammo for political campaigns is lot more important for them and if Trump built his wall it would look good for him during reelections.

Trey

Collosal waste of money, and a poor starting point to negotiate from. If DACA expires, it's explicitly on Trump, and Republican leadership.

Couleurs

In addition to what others have said, Trump and Republicans don’t negotiate in good faith and can’t be trusted to stick to their word. DACA would just get targeted again the next opportunity Republicans get.

Last edited:

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Because ammo for political campaigns is lot more important for them and if Trump built his wall it would look good for him during reelections.
Trump is the one who wants to build a colossally stupid and wasteful wall that serves no purpose other than appeasing a moronic and racist base, and the Democrats are the ones playing politics here. Sure.

The wall is a dumb idea, I mean....you could just dig a tunnel and you are there....or what if a cartel just keeps digging tunnels and then collapsing the tunnel and wall? The constant rebuilding would run into the millions very quickly

The wall is a dumb idea, I mean....you could just dig a tunnel and you are there....or what if a cartel just keeps digging tunnels and then collapsing the tunnel and wall? The constant rebuilding would run into the millions very quickly

Even Trump knows The Wall™ can be easily overcome.

Super Mario

Banned
Lots of really poor arguments here. Huge waste of money?

Let's do some math here. The US Federal Budget is roughly $4 trillion a year. It is estimated that illegal immigration cost us over $100 billion per year. The wall's estimated cost is $20 billion.

Would it be a perfect system? There is no such thing. Nor is anyone advocating such a thing. How are people illegally entering the US now? Do you think people are not hopping the fence? Do you know what the final product looks like? Do you understand that technology exists to monitor activity to circumvent the wall?

At the end of the day, could it be possible or even likely that it prevents $20 billion in illegal immigration costs to us, making it a wash? Please come to the table with a better argument than huge waste of money. Especially when few used such an argument as we racked up $20 trillion in debt.

It's all about politics. Trump wants to undo Obama's policies. Democrats want to block any attempt Trump makes at anything.

pramod

Banned

Let's do some math here. The US Federal Budget is roughly $4 trillion a year. It is estimated that illegal immigration cost us over $100 billion per year. The wall's estimated cost is $20 billion.

Would it be a perfect system? There is no such thing. Nor is anyone advocating such a thing. How are people illegally entering the US now? Do you think people are not hopping the fence? Do you know what the final product looks like? Do you understand that technology exists to monitor activity to circumvent the wall?

At the end of the day, could it be possible or even likely that it prevents $20 billion in illegal immigration costs to us, making it a wash? Please come to the table with a better argument than huge waste of money. Especially when few used such an argument as we racked up $20 trillion in debt.

It's all about politics. Trump wants to undo Obama's policies. Democrats want to block any attempt Trump makes at anything.

Exactly. The only reasons DACA can't be passed is because of the Democrat's political unwilingness to give Trump any sort of "win". If Dems really cared so much about these 800,000 Dreamers, why are they playing politics with their lives?

Last edited:

Ok. Let's talk facts, and I'll back mine up with actual sources. Let's start with the fact that the cost of illegal immigration is "most likely modest" according to the non-partisan CBO's 2007 The Impact of Unauthorized Immigrants on the Budgets of State and Local Governments report which examined 29 published reports on the subject. From the report...
Although it is difficult to obtain precise estimates of the net impact of the unauthorized population on state and local budgets (see Box 1), that impact is most likely modest.

So we start with the fact that the net effect isn't all that great, but as you point out, surely the wall will help. Well...Not so much. You see greater than 40 percent of illegal immigration are people we allow in the country and they just never leave. A wall doesn't help with people who fly in an airplane to go to college or as tourists. At best a wall could only help prevent a portion of the illegal aliens coming into the country over the southern border. From Politifact...
"It is likely that the 40 percent figure is still valid and, if anything, the share of unauthorized immigrants who are visa overstayers is probably higher than 40 percent," said Jeffrey Passel at Pew.

But surely this is a growing problem. We have no choice but to spend billions on a wall to try to stop the growing tsunami wave of illegal immigration. Ummmm...No. Those rates are going down already. From FactCheck.Org FactChecking Trump on Immigration...
removals_and_returns.png

Ahhhh...But I can hear you saying "But ummm....you see....Well, there still are at least some illegal immigrants coming over the border. Why not spend billions to build a wall to stop a fraction of that ever trickling amount even though they don't actually cost that much?" I am so glad you asked. You see, while there are some people still coming in, others are leaving. I'll end with this earth shattering revelation. From PolitiFact...

Yes, we are experiencing a net outflow of illegal, undocumented workers from America back to Mexico
Yes, we are experiencing a net outflow of illegal, undocumented workers from America back to Mexico
"We're experiencing a net outflow of illegal, undocumented workers from America back to Mexico," U.S. Rep. Ron Kind, D-La Crosse, said Feb. 16, 2017 on Wisconsin Public Radio. "To build a wall now would be locking them in this country."

Edit:
Oh..my bad. I forgot you mentioning something about the wall not being a huge waste of money. Actually, I'd already covered that by simply pointing out that States could run out of Children’s Health Insurance Program funding in just two weeks. For reference, according to the Access Commission, CHIP spending reached about $13.6 billion in FY 2016. I mean, if we don't have enough money to keep children from dying, I'd say it is a HUGE waste to spend even more money on a wall that is both unneeded and doesn't even effectively address the problem. Hint: If you really want to address illegal immigration, crack down on businesses that hire them. See how easy that is.

But for a more direct response to your assertion, take a look at this amusing analysis (No it really is) of The Wall by John Oliver. It's funny, but accurate.

Last edited:
Ok. Let's talk facts, and I'll back mine up with actual sources. Let's start with the fact that the cost of illegal immigration is "most likely modest" according to the non-partisan CBO's 2007 The Impact of Unauthorized Immigrants on the Budgets of State and Local Governments report which examined 29 published reports on the subject. From the report...

So we start with the fact that the net effect isn't all that great, but as you point out, surely the wall will help. Well...Not so much. You see greater than 40 percent of illegal immigration are people we allow in the country and they just never leave. A wall doesn't help with people who fly in an airplane to go to college or as tourists. At best a wall could only help prevent a portion of the illegal aliens coming into the country over the southern border. From Politifact...

But surely this is a growing problem. We have no choice but to spend billions on a wall to try to stop the growing tsunami wave of illegal immigration. Ummmm...No. Those rates are going down already. From FactCheck.Org FactChecking Trump on Immigration...
removals_and_returns.png

Ahhhh...But I can hear you saying "But ummm....you see....Well, there still are at least some illegal immigrants coming over the border. Why not spend billions to build a wall to stop a fraction of that ever trickling amount even though they don't actually cost that much?" I am so glad you asked. You see, while there are some people still coming in, others are leaving. I'll end with this earth shattering revelation. From PolitiFact...

Edit:
Oh..my bad. I forgot you mentioning something about the wall not being a huge waste of money. Actually, I'd already covered that by simply pointing out that States could run out of Children’s Health Insurance Program funding in just two weeks. For reference, according to the Access Commission, CHIP spending reached about $13.6 billion in FY 2016. I mean, if we don't have enough money to keep children from dying, I'd say it is a HUGE waste to spend even more money on a wall that is both unneeded and doesn't even effectively address the problem. Hint: If you really want to address illegal immigration, crack down on businesses that hire them. See how easy that is.

But for a more direct response to your assertion, take a look at this amusing analysis (No it really is) of The Wall by John Oliver. It's funny, but accurate.

Indeed, and this information is not knew. If you want Americans to not lose to foreigners on jobs, you focus on education. Education is chiefly responsible for improving social mobility in the United States.

That is not an opinion or optimistic thinking, and that is not "what it should be".That is what it IS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump could get his funding earmarked and then not follow through on his promise. Seriously are his voters going to care? They'd probably cheer that move.

Super Mario

Banned
Is that a proven fact?

No one knows for sure. Which is a big problem. I think we all know by now that when we are not aware of spending, it is less likely that the answer is we are saving more than we think.

Politifact used that ignorance to say Trump is wrong, and that it might be 85 billion, might be less, might be more. With the data we do have, it's a tough sell that it's not in the tens of billions.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-trump-says-illegal-immigration-costs-113-bi/

Trump said, "Illegal immigration costs our country more than $113 billion a year."
Trump presented this figure as a hard fact to make his case, and not as the rough, high-end estimate that it is.
The figure matches a 2013 study by a group that wants to reduce immigration, FAIR.
It’s uncertain how much immigrants in the United States illegally cost taxpayers, but FAIR’s data is largely based on broad estimates and assumptions. Another report by a conservative think tank pegged the amount at about $85 billion a year. Reports by pro-immigration or neutral groups have come in significantly lower, and other reports have been inconclusive.
Estimating the costs of illegal immigration is extremely difficult and produces dramatically different figures, depending on the source. Yes, there are costs. But Trump is selecting the highest of all possible estimates from a range that varies widely.

Again, inconclusive data. The only thing we can't conclude, is that it's costing us billions. The link at the bottom of the page goes into detail where the $113 billion figure comes from.

Another poor argument. Let's say for the sake of math, that illegal immigration costs us $100 billion. Let's say its 1:1 and that 40% we choose to let in, costs us $40 billion. Does that somehow absolve the issue of the other $60 billion from the 60% that are sneaking in?

removals_and_returns.png

This is not a graph of how many are coming in. This is a graph of removal and returns.

"To further our argument that the wall is not needed, here is a graph that shows we have returned less illegal immigrants under the Obama administration". It's not like we currently have defiant GOVERNORS refusing to take action on illegals or anything.

I know. It's amazing what a tough policy on immigration can do. Still, not proof that a wall is unnecessary. If we were having 500,000 a year enter, and now we are down to 400,000, does that mean no further work is required?

Edit:

Then we round it all up with feelings. We've seen the massive cost. We've seen the political movement to shield them. We've seen the problem. But will someone think of the children?! They will die because of this wall. Classic deflection.

https://fairus.org/issue/publicatio...n-illegal-immigration-united-states-taxpayers

Here is a great link of another view on it aside from carefully selected statistics, line graphs, and shoulder shrugging. Whoever chooses to read it, can.

gohepcat

Banned
I know. It's amazing what a tough policy on immigration can do. Still, not proof that a wall is unnecessary. If we were having 500,000 a year enter, and now we are down to 400,000, does that mean no further work is required?

Wait...What the fuck happened here? Are you suddenly agreeing that there is a net outflow of illegal immigrants, but you are still arguing for the wall?

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but is it possible that you are just getting your info and talking points from terrible human beings?

Something tells me that you would be pushing for less "immigrants" no matter what the numbers looked like.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Paying a $20 billion ransom to fund an ill-advised and failed campaign promise with no guarantee that the other side will honor their part of the deal sounds like a great idea to you?

Super Mario

Banned
Wait...What the fuck happened here? Are you suddenly agreeing that there is a net outflow of illegal immigrants, but you are still arguing for the wall?

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but is it possible that you are just getting your info and talking points from terrible human beings?

Something tells me that you would be pushing for less "immigrants" no matter what the numbers looked like.

Again, just because a line graph is moving, does not mean a problem is solved.

Don't try and put words in my mouth to try to stir up more feelings. Democrats could have taken a very constructive approach on this. They could have said these people who are here want to be Americans, and we need to make an easier path to legalization. Instead, they want to continue to shield them as illegal immigrants. Why do you think that? Why heck, in fact, Trump was willing to negotiate on DACA.

A wall does not make you a terrible human being. Gaming others for political gain, does.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
The democrats are not needed in order to do both things. Republicans have the majority on all three branches of government. It is the republicans who can't agree on the wall. Blaming democrats when they are the minority and can't do anything is pure politics.

Again, inconclusive data. The only thing we can't conclude, is that it's costing us billions. The link at the bottom of the page goes into detail where the $113 billion figure comes from.
Odd how you say the data is inconclusive and then go on to provide an exact figure. Meanwhile, I gave the inexact measure of "most likely modest" which as far as I know is the CBO's best estimate. I'll also note that while I used the nonpartisan CBO for my estimate, you used FAIR whose founder John Tanton has expressed his wish that America remain a majority-white population. For example he said,
  • "As Whites see their power and control over their lives declining, will they simply go quietly into the night? Or will there be an explosion?"
  • "I've come to the point of view that for European-American society and culture to persist requires a European-American majority, and a clear one at that."
It should come as no surprise that FAIR's estimates tend to skew in the anti-immigration direction. They admit on their site that they take the official estimates then sprinkle their own FAIRy (hehe) dust on them to get their numbers.

Another poor argument. Let's say for the sake of math, that illegal immigration costs us $100 billion. Let's say its 1:1 and that 40% we choose to let in, costs us $40 billion. Does that somehow absolve the issue of the other $60 billion from the 60% that are sneaking in?
First, this isn't an argument that stands on its own. All my points build on each other to show why The Wall is a stupid idea. For example, imagine that you say you can earn $5 for delivering a package, and I point out that it is not worth it because it would take $2 for gas, $2 for fares and $2 for parking. An invalid argument for you is to isolate the gas price and say, "Hey, even though it costs me $2 for gas I at least make $3 net". By doing that you are ignoring that it's all the costs together that make the $5 payout not worth it. For the wall, you have to combine this analysis, with all the others. Each one makes the idea of the wall less needed. Together they make the opportunity cost of the wall not worth it for the small benefit it could provide.

Second, the +40% of illegal immigration that don't cross the southern border is but one part of the equation. It shows that AT BEST the wall could be 60% effective. Of course on top of that, no wall is going to be 100% effective. So out of the 60% that could be stopped, let's say half, 30%, actually are stopped. Note: There doesn't appear to be any info on how effective fences are. They are typically attributed with being locally effective. People just cross elsewhere.

Finally, your "Well if it stops at least a few people, then it's worth it" argument doesn't hold up. As I pointed out before, we are having trouble funding the Children's Health Insurance Program. This is one of the few cases where "Think of the Children" is actually appropriate. Having kids die to potentially stop 30% of illegal immigration is not worth it, and that is just one area that badly needs funding. Civil engineers say fixing infrastructure will take $4.6 trillion

This is not a graph of how many are coming in. This is a graph of removal and returns.

"To further our argument that the wall is not needed, here is a graph that shows we have returned less illegal immigrants under the Obama administration". It's not like we currently have defiant GOVERNORS refusing to take action on illegals or anything.
OMG, talk about your "poor arguments". Returns are an objective measure of per year illegal immigration. If it makes you feel any better, here is the EXACT SAME concept stated in a different way,
The estimated number of Mexicans in the United States illegally rose steadily for many years, from 2.9 million in 1995 to a peak of 6.9 million in 2007. But the number began dropping in 2008 and has fallen more since, reaching 5.8 million in 2014, the latest year for which Pew analyzed data.
Or for those who just must have pretty pictures.
FT_17.04.17_unauthorized_update_2015-1.png

We have negative illegal immigration. That is the definition of proof that a "wall is unnecessary". Your logic: Doctor says, "I'm sorry. I know your foot is healing up, and there is no chance of gangrene, but we are going to amputate anyway. That'll be an extra $100,000."

Then we round it all up with feelings. We've seen the massive cost. We've seen the political movement to shield them. We've seen the problem. But will someone think of the children?! They will die because of this wall. Classic deflection.
You are the one deflecting and not addressing the point. I pointed out an opportunity cost of funding The Wall that is a current ongoing concern(within weeks) and costs in the same ballpark as the funds requested by Trump. That isn't deflection. That is a line drive right up the middle. So instead of you dodging my point by using your own emotional argument (nice projection you've got going on), answer the point. Why should we spend money on a problem that literally does not currently exist when we have much more pressing issues to deal with? If the idea of children drives your brain into spasms making answering that impossible, then as I mentioned above, replace them with the $4.6 trillion needed in infrastructure spending.

I await your reply of, "(mocking)But will someone think of the infrastructure?(mocking) Classic deflection." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
We have negative illegal immigration. That is the definition of proof that a "wall is unnecessary". Your logic: Doctor says, "I'm sorry. I know your foot is healing up, and there is no chance of gangrene, but we are going to amputate anyway. That'll be an extra $100,000."

You mean like the logic of "hey, let's not build those storm levees to protect the city anymore, since we're not having as many hurricanes in the last few years like we used to."

You mean like the logic of "hey, let's not build those storm levees to protect the city anymore, since we're not having as many hurricanes in the last few years like we used to."

Thing is that levees are proven to help with saving lives, this wall is the most pointless construction project ever put forth in the US.

Well the costs for the border is now 33 billion. Tell me, where's this money coming from?

Last edited:
More accurately it'd be like "Hey, we already built the storm levees and they work. Let's not waste our money on the crazy guy's idea to raise the whole city two feet, especially when the fire trucks don't work and he promised we wouldn't have to pay for it anyway."

Let me repeat that last point again since it seems people are forgetting it. TRUMP PROMISED, REPEATEDLY, THAT U.S. TAXPAYERS WOULD NOT PAY FOR THE WALL!!!!! Ok then, we won't pay for the wall.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Because it's a stupid idea and has been for the last 20 years. The only reason Trump was able to campaign on it is because Republicans have been using the idea of a wall as a red herring to gin up the base in their campaigns for two decades. Enough idiots are out there saying "where is the wall?" that he was able to get their votes by reviving an old "promise" from the party. The wall will do nothing but waste money and make America look like a bunch of idiots. That's why there won't be any agreement on a wall.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Again, just because a line graph is moving, does not mean a problem is solved.

Don't try and put words in my mouth to try to stir up more feelings. Democrats could have taken a very constructive approach on this. They could have said these people who are here want to be Americans, and we need to make an easier path to legalization. Instead, they want to continue to shield them as illegal immigrants. Why do you think that? Why heck, in fact, Trump was willing to negotiate on DACA.

A wall does not make you a terrible human being. Gaming others for political gain, does.
Do you have any hard figures on how long exactly the wall needs to be, how much it will cost to build it, how many staff would be needed to monitor it and how long in man hours construction would take?

i do not have those figures but i guess they roam somewhere into lol territory

The democrats are not needed in order to do both things. Republicans have the majority on all three branches of government. It is the republicans who can't agree on the wall. Blaming democrats when they are the minority and can't do anything is pure politics.
I don't know why this keeps getting ignored.

pramod

Banned
I don't know why this keeps getting ignored.

The Democrats are the ones threatening not to agree on a budget (thus shutting the government down) if they don't get DACA. I just don't see the headline of "Democrats threaten to shut down government unless 800k illegals are granted amnesty" as a winning political strategy for them.

Let me repeat that last point again since it seems people are forgetting it. TRUMP PROMISED, REPEATEDLY, THAT U.S. TAXPAYERS WOULD NOT PAY FOR THE WALL!!!!! Ok then, we won't pay for the wall.

I know these arguments are disingenuous because no one here is willing to admit that money has nothing to do with it. But to respond to your point, there are actually proposals being floated for funding the wall through visa/immigration processing fees (so yes technically Mexico IS going to pay for the wall), but it's irrelevant because if you listen to the Dems in congress they are simply saying the wall is "stupid" and not complaining about its costs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom