• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U eShop Launch List: 23 digital titles/pricing (retail & indie)

While I agree they should pass on some of the discount, benefits of digital on the Wii U are the 10% back in points if you bought the Deluxe set and less space in our rather small apartment taken up by more disc cases. Trade-in deals have been really good in my area for a while, so buying retail is still 'better', but they seem to be cracking down on their trade-in list recently.. so buying digital might not be so bad.

Buying digital is my preferred medium...However, the consoles are light years behind Steam, I might buy 1 or 2 games on the eShop, like I have on Xbox Live On Demand, but not like the 60+ games that I have on Steam.

Seance

Banned
No way i would ever buy a DD game on a Nintendo console. Maybe if there was an insanely good deal, but I doubt that would ever happen.

No way i would ever buy a DD game on a Nintendo console. Maybe if there was an insanely good deal, but I doubt that would ever happen.

Why not? Nintendo seems to handle their DD very well - every digital app that people bought on their DSi's were able to transfer to 3DS, same with Wii to Wii U. And when a Wii broke Nintendo was able to transfer all your purchases to a new Wii as well.

As for good deals, with the Wii U Nintendo is letting third-party developers have sales and stuff.

dysonEA

so i have a deluxe wii u. do i need to register it somewhere to get the deluxe promotion? or is linking my club nintendo account enough? dont really see it explained anywhere

Is there a good round up of imressions anywhere of the day one indie games? Not read or seen much about Trine 2, Chasing Aurora or Nano Assault Neo.

Instro

Is there a good round up of imressions anywhere of the day one indie games? Not read or seen much about Trine 2, Chasing Aurora or Nano Assault Neo.

Nano Assault is pretty fucking rad, pretty hectic shooter and the Galaxy style planet mechanics can make the game wild. If Trine 2 is anywhere near as good as Trine 1 then its also worth buying. No idea about Aurora, been looking to hear some impressions myself.

BD1

Banned
I was hoping there would be demos up on the eShop. Unless, I'm missing something, no Wii U demos. I wonder when/if they're coming?

Disappointed that we didn't get this list earlier because I bought a physical copy of AC3 and I'd have liked digital. Wasn't expecting this many digital titles at launch from third parties. Oh well, at least it's a good sign of things to come.

I'm curious, what makes you think buying with Nintendo digital is a good idea? To be doing it so earlier with regards to their network?

Teknoman

I'm really impressed at how good it looks. The folks at shin'en are very talented.

I'd honestly like to see what would happen with a Retro/Shin'en joint sci-fi project. Either that or just have Shin'en make another horizontal/vertical shoot em up on the WiiU.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I was hoping there would be demos up on the eShop. Unless, I'm missing something, no Wii U demos. I wonder when/if they're coming?

Rayman Legends demo was supposed to be up on launch day. God knows how long it's going to take now.

DarkWish

I'm curious, what makes you think buying with Nintendo digital is a good idea? To be doing it so earlier with regards to their network?
I want to go all digital for convenience and I rarely ever sell or trade-in games. I also tend to move my home consoles around for various reasons, so moving the games around too is an extra hassle. Plus, physical copies take up space and my shelves are already overflowing with stuff. I do have slight concerns with Nintendo and going digital, but the convenience outweighs that for me.

I plan to get digital if possible from now on, but just waiting for confirmation on if the saves are compatible or not before I switch to digital for Nintendo Land and Assassin's Creed III, which I own on disk now.

Just got Nanostray Assault Neo tonight and I love it, great little twin stick shooter. It's kind of like Super Stardust but with more organic enemies and environments, definitely worth ten dollars so far. There's also these cool tube style bonus levels in between stages. I seriously need to look into more of Shinen's stuff.

Why not? Nintendo seems to handle their DD very well - every digital app that people bought on their DSi's were able to transfer to 3DS, same with Wii to Wii U. And when a Wii broke Nintendo was able to transfer all your purchases to a new Wii as well.
Their whole concept of DRM is archaic being tied to the console rather then an account. It makes thing difficult when problems arise. Especially with those fringe issues when the console has to be physically shipped to Nintendo to get your digital purchases restored or transferred.

Just a completely random aside: it really infuriates me that so many digital releases are priced at the same price point as boxed copies. It just pisses me the hell off. Give me anything off to make me feel better. $5. $10. Doesn't matter. Just don't make me feel like I'm being taken advantage of by being willing to buy the digital copy.

HeySeuss

Just a completely random aside: it really infuriates me that so many digital releases are priced at the same price point as boxed copies. It just pisses me the hell off. Give me anything off to make me feel better. $5. $10. Doesn't matter. Just don't make me feel like I'm being taken advantage of by being willing to buy the digital copy.

I feel the same way. They are saving packaging and shipping and retailer fees. Shit should be transferred to the customer as an incentive to buy digital. The 10% points deal is a good start I guess.

Their whole concept of DRM is archaic being tied to the console rather then an account. It makes thing difficult when problems arise. Especially with those fringe issues when the console has to be physically shipped to Nintendo to get your digital purchases restored or transferred.

The PS3 is the same way, you can transfer your PS3 account to another PS3 but you can only do it a limit number of times. It wouldn't make sense to allow multiple devices per account, you'd just get people installing their games on their friends' consoles (like happened in the PS3 early days when they let you have your account active on 5 PS3's at the same time).

As for physically shipping your console, if it is broken then you'd need to do that to get the cheap replacement anyways.

Just got Nanostray Assault Neo tonight and I love it, great little twin stick shooter. It's kind of like Super Stardust but with more organic enemies and environments, definitely worth ten dollars so far. There's also these cool tube style bonus levels in between stages. I seriously need to look into more of Shinen's stuff.

How is the intensity of the game? I've seen videos of it, and I don't see a lot going on. It's sort of slow paced, and I don't see tons of enemies/firepower on the screen, like Super Stardust. Because of that, this game doesn't look hard at all.

I feel the same way. They are saving packaging and shipping and retailer fees. Shit should be transferred to the customer as an incentive to buy digital. The 10% points deal is a good start I guess.

But then retailers are unhappy and don't carry the game or otherwise make things difficult. This is more complicated than you might think.

I disagree with this. First off, while they don't have to pay for packaging, they have to pay for bandwidth - a few hundred thousand people downloading 6+GB games, that's gonna cost a decent chunk. And they still have some of the other costs of retail, like paying for their game to be featured on the store.

But really, in the end it comes down to the fact that developers really need incentives to offer their games digitally. The Wii U so far has the best digital store on console, because you can get like 90% of the Wii U's retail games digitally. And I believe a large part of that is because Nintendo is doing things like letting them choose prices and pocket all the extra money from being digital. As long as we aren't paying *more* than the retail store, I'm glad that I never have to go to the retail store again and worry if the game I want is in stock or which store to go to to get it, and that I don't have these useless game boxes cluttering up the place or discs that can get lost.

neoanarch

Do you pay taxes on the eShop?

Deluxe refund + possible -taxes is pretty decent I think.

Instro

How is the intensity of the game? I've seen videos of it, and I don't see a lot going on. It's sort of slow paced, and I don't see tons of enemies/firepower on the screen, like Super Stardust. Because of that, this game doesn't look hard at all.

It ramps up very quickly, from what I have played so far, the 2nd level was an eyeopener with regards to difficulty and intensity. The first chapter/world or w.e you want to call it was kicking my ass for a good amount of time.

It's neither slow paced nor easy IMHO. You have to keep moving and shooting because enemies big and small are swarming you constantly and in every stage you eventually trigger an exit where you have a very limited amount of time to reach before the stage self destructs and you die. I wouldn't say it's super challenging but it's no walk in the park and it's definitely fast paced. There's also some nice weapon upgrades you can get in game or through a shop system.

Edit: As the poster above said, the difficulty really heats up starting with the second stage.

It ramps up very quickly, from what I have played so far, the 2nd level was an eyeopener with regards to difficulty and intensity. The first chapter/world or w.e you want to call it was kicking my ass for a good amount of time.

It's neither slow paced nor easy IMHO. You have to keep moving and shooting because enemies big and small are swarming you constantly and in every stage you eventually trigger an exit where you have a very limited amount of time to reach before the stage self destructs and you die. I wouldn't say it's super challenging but it's no walk in the park and it's definitely fast paced. There's also some nice weapon upgrades you can get in game or through a shop system.

Edit: As the poster above said, the difficulty really heats up starting with the second stage.

Ok, glad to see that the difficulty ramps up. How about the frame rate? Is the game able to maintain 60 fps at all times, even when things get very hectic?

deleted

Anybody tried to install one of the bigger games to a hdd and compare the time it took to install to some of the times mentioned in this thread?

Teknoman

Its definitely visual overload at times. Only played the first stage set, but being a shin'en game, it should get up there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The PS3 is the same way, you can transfer your PS3 account to another PS3 but you can only do it a limit number of times. It wouldn't make sense to allow multiple devices per account, you'd just get people installing their games on their friends' consoles (like happened in the PS3 early days when they let you have your account active on 5 PS3's at the same time).

Well, I think it's just the concern that you have no actual account security and that everything you do/purchase is (for the time being) permanently tethered to the box in your lounge room. It puts a physical ball-and-chain on your digital expenditure, which can be perceived as illogical given the nature of digital content. Less so about sharing accounts, moreso about knowing that at the moment there's literally nothing you can do. Account sharing isn't really an issue, as you could simply have accounts only active on one console at a time.

As it is, Nintendo doesn't even offer in-house profile/data transfer. I'm positive this will change, but it's still annoying. Under the current system if you Wii U were to break, or worse yet get stolen, there's zero way to recover your data and content. Account level content fixes that, both for yourself and Nintendo.

I don't really want to drag this thread into that discussion though, just noting that there's rationality behind disappointment and insecurity with how Wii U accounts are currently handled.

What I'm interested in is if anybody has done performance tests for HDD versus disk? Probably not, given the system has only been out a little over a day, but playing via HDD with the Wii provided a very obvious performance boost whenever it came to loading. The Prime series is a good example, as data had to load every time you used a door.

Noi

As for physically shipping your console, if it is broken then you'd need to do that to get the cheap replacement anyways.

PSN accounts can be easily unlinked from a console and reactivated on another one. If said console is stolen/broken, there's a website that lets you do so as well. You can log into as many PS3s as you want to play games and the like, but you can only activate digital content tied to an account on two consoles and two handhelds.

So no, a PSN account is nowhere near as close as a NNID and "can only use an ID on the console it was created" and "have to send the console to Nintendo to transfer it over in case it breaks", the latter of which isn't even confirmed yet. It's perfectly reasonable to be wary about going DD on the Wii U at this point.

Erethian

As it is, Nintendo doesn't even offer in-house profile/data transfer. I'm positive this will change, but it's still annoying. Under the current system if you Wii U were to break, or worse yet get stolen, there's zero way to recover your data and content. Account level content fixes that, both for yourself and Nintendo.

I don't really want to drag this thread into that discussion though, just noting that there's rationality behind disappointment and insecurity with how Wii U accounts are currently handled.

Well the problem at the moment is less that you don't have an account, but more that you can't access that account from any other machine than the one you created it on. So it's a tethering issue, as opposed to one where you can't recover your purchases. Which is still a pain in the ass, but a different kind of problem.

I know that with the 3DS people have been able to recover all their purchases if their system is stolen, including ambassador status. But you have to jump through all sorts of hurdles like providing Nintendo with a police report reference number before they'll do it.

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't know if anyone has tried this, but are the prepaid 3DS eshop cards out there basically the same as Wii U eshop? Has anyone tried using a 3DS prepaid card on a Wii U?

Top Bottom