• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
There is no reason to think along the lines of more sports themed wii sports...they said in the meeting it won't be a sequel or a remake of what they've done before

Seriusly guys...

I think we got more than we hoped for from the investors meeting :D

Lets hope that E3 will deliver the same way.

BTW dat Smash Bros Close... I hope Reggie or Iwata responds to it with something like: "Now one of our competitor, desperate for success, trying to blatantly copy our Smash Bros game. This truly shows how Nintendos software plays a huge part in our strategy to be successful"

antonz

Yeah basically Iwata was saying they are still working on thebig system seller packin and dont want it to just be a upressed wii sports

Seriusly guys...

I think we got more than we hoped for from the investors meeting :D

Lets hope that E3 will deliver the same way.

BTW dat Smash Bros Close... I hope Reggie or Iwata responds to it with something like: "Now one of our competitor, desperate for success, trying to blatantly copy our Smash Bros game. This truly shows how Nintendos software plays a huge part in our strategy to be successful"

I agree. If they can deliver these kinds of goods at an investor's conference (Which generally gets less than half the news as this), I can only imagine how many bombs they'll drop at gaming's biggest week.

I really hope Treyarch and Eurocom port over their customisable Wii remote + nunchuk control schemes from Black Ops and Goldeneye to the sequels on Wii U. Adding a Wii control scheme option should be really simple for them, and it will be a bad sign if they ignore it.

Agreed. Me and FPS games are DONE if the Wiimote controls aren't standard.

http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/recruit_01.html

Looks like Monolithsoft is hiring for their Wii U project.

And the real world adventures of Heropon Riki!
http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/special/staffBlog/top.html

Dgsx6.jpg

give it to me!

Antioch

Pretty interesting news today, DD at launch is pretty big.

But I find the Wii Sports equivalent far more interesting, difficult to imagine what it might be. So far I've been thinking it could be some kind of massive drawing game, like a mesh-up of Flipnote studio, Pictochat, and Art Academy, but idk.
It would be called Udraw

Actually now I'm hoping they open E3 with a demo of whatever this game is.

In terms of first party launch line-up, Nintendo have a LOT of games that could at this point be a part of it, I don't think Mario Bros. will be there though, in fact I think the next 3D Mario has a higher chance of being a launch title than Mario Bros.

My personal launch line-up prediction in terms of first party is:
Pikmin 3
Secret Wii U game (the one I talked about above)
Wii U Play (collection of stuff like Chase Mii and Battle Mii)
Retro's game (I know at first thought this may seem unlikely, but Retro are well known for being able to finish huge ammounts of work in crunch time, plus Nintendo has been wanting to avoid a 3DS like situation since its launch so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo made sure this'd be out at launch.)
edit: Lego City Stories

Launch Window:
Good Feel's next game (my guess being Yoshi's Island)
Monster's next game (I don't think it'll be an excite game, probably 1080 or Wave Race, maaaayybe F-Zero)
Wii U Fit
Endless Ocean 3
WarioWare U
Maybe a Pokemon Stadium equivalent of Black and White?
Monolith's game (at least in Japan)

Also available from launch, HD Classics: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

But I find the Wii Sports equivalent far more interesting, difficult to imagine what it might be.

Actually, it's kinda funny. Iwata says that he wants to make a Wii Sports equivalent, but can't tell people because it might get copied.

Fast forward a few hours...

antonz

Actually, it's kinda funny. Iwata says that he wants to make a Wii Sports equivalent, but can't tell people because it might get copied.

Its probably why Sakurai is making such a big deal about the next SSB game being much different instead of just carrying on the same with new characters

Haha. But seriously, what does the UPad bring to the table for sports games that the Wii didn't? Just seems like there's more potential elsewhere.

Let's see... From last E3...

Madden with hidden play calls on umote
Using the sensor bar in the umote to help keep golf swings straight
Catching pop flies on the umote in a baseball game

Stuff I can think up in less than a couple minutes...
Using the touch screen to dynamically change character formations and draw new routes in any game where you use teams (soccer, football, basketball etc)
Base stealing on the touch screen in a baseball game
Overhead maps for shot planning in a golf game

Antioch

I can't tell if you're trying to say it's just going to be Wii U Sports (which it isn't) or what?

Actually I think the last time Nintendo talked about keeping something secret to avoid copying they were talking about the Wii remote, so I think whatever they're talking about now will be something really new and unique.

I can't tell if you're trying to say it's just going to be Wii U Sports (which it isn't) or what?

No, I know it's not Wii U Sports. I just think it's funny that Iwata expressed concern for one of Nintendo's ideas being stolen, a few mere hours before a giant game reveal for one of Nintendo's ideas being stolen.

Vinci

Danish
Let's see... From last E3...

Madden with hidden play calls on umote
Using the sensor bar in the umote to help keep golf swings straight
Catching pop flies on the umote in a baseball game

Stuff I can think up in less than a couple minutes...
Using the touch screen to dynamically change character formations and draw new routes in any game where you use teams (soccer, football, basketball etc)
Base stealing on the touch screen in a baseball game
Overhead maps for shot planning in a golf game

You consider this more immediately appealing than what the Wii did previously with sports? That was my point, not that it was impossible to do new things with sports titles using the UPad - just that it doesn't offer anything as compelling from a 'learn the overall advantages of the system' stuff.

Hes saying Iwata wants to keep it secret because Sony will pull a All Stars

It just shows how insanely poor Sonys game desingers are if they have to resort to blatantly rip off another companys franchise.

I wouldn´t write this if this game would be diffrent and maybe introduce something new, but that game looks like a total clone...

This totally justifies Iwatas stance on not showing it too early because it could be copyed. Whatever they bring as the WiiU packin must be on the Shelves before a "copy" from Microsoft and Sony can make it to the store shelves!

Antioch

It just shows how insanely poor Sonys game desingers are if they have to resort to blatantly rip off another companys franchise.

I wouldn´t write this if this game would be diffrent and maybe introduce something new, but that trailer looks like a total clone...

This totally justifies Iwatas stance on not showing it too early because it could be copyed. Whatever they bring as the WiiU packin must be on the Shelves before a "copy" from Microsoft and Sony can make it to the store shelves!

It's nothing new for developers to copy other games, look at all the Mario Kart clones for example, but Nintendo has been guilty of this in the past too, wasn't Devil World a Pacman clone?

The thing with Playstation All Star Battle Royale though is that it's a bit too blatant a copy, in that the whole concept of having a console manufacturers line-up of characters and mascots in a fighting game with that gameplay has been done already. It's pretty safe to say it wouldn't exist without Smash Bros.

To be honest though I don't mind it, the game looks OK and might help the wait for the next Smash Bros a little, besides some of the stage stuff they're doing looks really cool.

Antioch

I can see a few killer apps already.... like Draw something and Scribblenauts u

I would do anything for scribblenauts!

Jeremiah Slaczka, Scribblenauts' creator, was in the Wii U developer video at E3 last year, so I think it's definitely possible, if not probable, maybe even at launch.

It's nothing new for developers to copy other games, look at all the Mario Kart clones for example, but Nintendo has been guilty of this in the past too, wasn't Devil World a Pacman clone?

The thing with Playstation All Star Battle Royale though is that it's a bit too blatant a copy, in that the whole concept of having a console manufacturers line-up of characters and mascots in a fighting game with that gameplay has been done already. It's pretty safe to say it wouldn't exist without Smash Bros.

To be honest though I don't mind it, the game looks OK and might help the wait for the next Smash Bros a little, besides some of the stage stuff they're doing looks really cool.

I wrote if it would be at least diffrent in some ways... i would be ok with it. But this game is just a total clone ;) Thats the problem!

This may pushes Nintendo to say something about the new Smash Bros on E3. But i think kits too early for ingame footage of any kind. Sakurai just finished KI:U... A few month of development time is not enough. Or a team already started development with Sakurai overlooking it and joining them when he finished KI:U...

Anyways i belive Smash Bros U will be a big hitter at E3 2013, as will be 3D Mario U, wich may will at least be announced and may have a short trailer/screenshots this E3.

guek

Banned
I think we'll get a smash teaser. It might just be a logo and a character reveal but it'll throw everyone in a tizzy.

Antioch

This may pushes Nintendo to say something about the new Smash Bros on E3. But i think kits too early for ingame footage of any kind. Sakurai just finished KI:U... A few month of development time is not enough. Or a team already started development with Sakurai overlooking it and joining them when he finished KI:U...

Anyways i belive Smash Bros U will be a big hitter at E3 2013, as will be 3D Mario U, wich may will at least be announced and may have a short trailer/screenshots this E3.

I agree, though I think SSB 3DS will be the only one shown at E3 2013, with the Wii U one not showing up until 2014, hopefully I'm wrong though.

Edit: I just realized the confirmation of no price announcements at E3 practically confirms it won't come out 'til Q4.

I think we'll get a smash teaser. It might just be a logo and a character reveal but it'll throw everyone in a tizzy.

Seriously, just do the Brawl thing ('upgrade' Mario, Kirby, Link and Pikachu) on screen (Graphics = wow), prepare a single stage and have it run on Brawl's engine show for 3 seconds and reveal a character. Get hype.

Fou-Lu

I agree, though I think SSB 3DS will be the only one shown at E3 2013, with the Wii U one not showing up until 2014, hopefully I'm wrong though.

Edit: I just realized the confirmation of no price announcements at E3 practically confirms it won't come out 'til Q4.

I highly doubt the 3DS and Wii U Smash Bros. will be revealed separately, what with the connectivity between the two being a selling point.

guek

Banned
Seriously, just do the Brawl thing ('upgrade' Mario, Kirby, Link and Pikachu) on screen (Graphics = wow), prepare a single stage and have it run on Brawl's engine show for 3 seconds and reveal a character. Get hype.

The only problem is there's no possible way they'd have enough time to put something like that together by E3. Sakurai would have had to modify the game engine and get a TON of asset work done under 6 months time. No way man.

Antioch

I highly doubt the 3DS and Wii U Smash Bros. will be revealed separately, what with the connectivity between the two being a selling point.

I'm not sure selling points mentioned at E3 last year really matter when the game just started development.

GCX

The real development of Smash Bros. has probably just started but I'm sure it's been in pre-production since E3.

darthdago

I'd avoid posts like this for another 90 or so, if I were you.

THX for the warning, but I really dont understand.
I have not stated something as a fact I have only given my personal thoughts/impressions (and I have written that).
So I didnt know that it is forbidden here to give a personal thought and I'm sorry that I have done so.

Bumhead

Banned
They want a game that had the same impact as Wii Sports, not the game itself

Yeah exactly. Wii Sports wasn't successful because it was a sports game with Miis. It was just the best way to introduce people to motion controls in as fun and accessible way as possible. It showed people what the deal with motion controls was right out of the gate.

Having a similar "proof of concept" pack in could be great for the Wii U. A game or application package bundled with every system that shows people how and why the touch pad is a big deal. After the success of Wii Sports (and maybe the lesson learned by not having a similar proof of concept for 3D at the 3DS launch) I would be very surprised if Nintendo don't do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom