• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

SPDIF

I'm still looking for an app that shows PC temperature and battery life on a live tile, win7 gadgets could do all of that.

Don't hold your breath. Unless I'm mistaken (maybe dLMN8R can correct me), it's currently impossible for apps to do that. The API's just aren't there yet.

So when I use Tunein Radio and while the app is running in the foreground the screen still turns off and with it the music (when I connect my laptop via HDMI to aTV).

Is there a way to prevent it going to sleep while not tampering with the default power options?

I expected the app to work like a media player where it doesn't go to sleep.

jsnepo

Anyone having aliasing issues with the media player video playback? The picture is terrible for SD content. Drivers are already updated. Never had this issue with Windows 7. Aliasing isn't present in VLC though but I still prefer using media player.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Installed Win8 on my wife's old vista laptop. So much better, it is like a new PC. The only thing it is missing is the ability to snap metro apps.

Pooya

Installed Win8 on my wife's old vista laptop. So much better, it is like a new PC. The only thing it is missing is the ability to snap metro apps.

I guess it has one of those 1280x800 screens? you need at least 1366x768 resolution, there is a way to enable it still on low resolution.

edit: forget it, it only worked in preview version not now in RTM :\

the other way to do it is define custom resolution in your graphic setting higher than native resolution, it can be tricky.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it has one of those 1280x800 screens? you need at least 1366x768 resolution, there is a way to enable it still on low resolution.

edit: forget it, it only worked in preview version not now in RTM :

the other way to do it is define custom resolution in your graphic setting higher than native resolution, it can be tricky.

Yeah. Probably won't worry about it. I can't see her even using the snap that much is she could anyways.

Yeah I just tested this and it works perfectly, so it should work.

Also I don't know if you know this already but your PC won't wake up unless you change the power options to allow wake timers.

Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Sleep -> Allow wake timers -> Enable

Thanks again, it works awesome. I'd like to try it with AccuWeather, but unfortunately I cannot find the application name ANYWHERE. It doesn't appear where everyone online says it should appear, and as such I cannot put it into the batch file. Any ideas?

MCD

Anyone find the open with context menu dumb for metro apps?

Like, I right click a file, open with, see a bunch of desktop and metro apps but I don't see my app listed so I try to pick it manually

But now I don't know where the apps are located and they are not .exe as far as I know so this just makes it more complicated.

I doubt there's any correlation, but since installing Windows 8 my laptop often fails to recognize plugged in audio devices and headsets. I'll often hear the sound coming through both my headset and from the laptop speakers, and I'll need to plug it back in a couple of times before it works. Kinda weird.

I got in on that Hotmail Office Professional Plus 2013 for $9.95 thing yesterday, so I thought I might as well upgrade to Windows 8 before the promotional pricing ends (playing right into their game). So far, I like it. I might not like it if it weren't for Start8, but it's pretty speedy right now. I'm sure if I search through the thread I'll find other essential apps, but if you'd like to save me the time, I'd appreciate it.

I had discovered, to my horror, that the HUP program gave me the 32-bit version of Office 2013, not the 64-bit version. I uninstalled it, found a "trial evaluation" 64-bit version for developers online, and was able to activate it using the product key they sent me. Whew!

panda21

is there a reliable technique for getting windows 8 to boot to safe mode?

i updated my nvidia drivers and a problem with the driver has made my windows boot to a black screen.

i can't get into safe boot by using windows and I don't think I have UEFI, so it seems like my only option is to use shift + F8.

i've tried various techniques, holding them down once the bios has finished doing its thing, holding shift and hammering f8, but nothing seems to work.

i've read that its hard to get it to boot to safe mode this way, anyone have any tips?

Jburton

Banned
is there a reliable technique for getting windows 8 to boot to safe mode?

i updated my nvidia drivers and a problem with the driver has made my windows boot to a black screen.

i can't get into safe boot by using windows and I don't think I have UEFI, so it seems like my only option is to use shift + F8.

i've tried various techniques, holding them down once the bios has finished doing its thing, holding shift and hammering f8, but nothing seems to work.

i've read that its hard to get it to boot to safe mode this way, anyone have any tips?

Keep trying, I had the exact same problem during the week after installing a new SSD boot drive.

Try waiting until the first bios page loads before striking shift and then hit F8 .... in fact try hitting the shift key and then f8 an number of times from the first bios screen upon boot.

Good luck.

panda21

Keep trying, I had the exact same problem during the week after installing a new SSD boot drive.

Try waiting until the first bios page loads before striking shift and then hit F8 .... in fact try hitting the shift key and then f8 an number of times from the first bios screen upon boot.

Good luck.

phew waiting until the first bios page loaded and then hammering shift and f8 worked first try. seems insane that the only easy way of getting to safe boot is from the deskop :S

nateeasy

Banned
Installed it last night. The install failed twice. I was keeping my files from Windows 7 so maybe that contributed to it. I like it so far. And I really like how IE works with it. Anything I should know or download?

Koroviev

Installed it last night. The install failed twice. I was keeping my files from Windows 7 so maybe that contributed to it. I like it so far. And I really like how IE works with it. Anything I should know or download?

Yeah, that would be my guess. I've installed Windows 8 a good hundred or so times at this point (work-related + personal hardware upgrades) and haven't experienced any issues, but those were all clean installs.

Here are some random tips in no particular order:

1) Waterfox is a great 64-bit browser...IE is becoming less compatible and more frustrating to work with by the second.

2) Pressing alt+f4 on the desktop is the fastest way to restart/shut down/etc.

3) Keyboard shortcuts in general work really well with Windows 8

4) The integrated app launcher is useful for everything, not just apps...fastest way to adjust system systems in my experience. Just hit the windows key and start typing the name of the app you'd like to launch or a keyword for the setting you'd like to change. For files I just stick with the explorer.

5) Windows key + e brings up the file explorer

6) Windows key + arrows to manipulate windows (Win key + down + down to minimize to taskbar)

7) Win8 + an SSD is pretty amazing....20-second cold boot

8) Pressing alt+f4 with a window in focus is the easiest way to close an application...very useful to know if you happen to get stuck in tablet mode and you aren't using a tablet! I personally make a point of swapping out all of the default apps for the more traditional desktop offerings. For windows that are not apps, simply press ctrl+w.

9) Change the lockscreen to something cool...because you can.

10) Windows key + x is a very useful shortcut that brings up a bunch of mnemonic shortcuts (i.e., event viewer, device manager, etc.) from the taskbar.

Yottamole

Banned
I had discovered, to my horror, that the HUP program gave me the 32-bit version of Office 2013, not the 64-bit version. I uninstalled it, found a "trial evaluation" 64-bit version for developers online, and was able to activate it using the product key they sent me. Whew!
http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx
Should I install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office?

The 32-bit version of Office is installed by default. Even if your computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows, we recommend that you install the 32-bit version of Office because it is more compatible with the applications and add-ins that work with Office.

If you do want to install the 64-bit version of Office, you can do so by accessing your Order History. Click on the Download Options link and select the 64-bit option.

It is not possible to install both the 64-bit version and 32-bit versions of Office on the same computer.

Sethos

Banned
So after my friend switched, I decided to hop on the wagon ( again ) to give it another chance. It's growing on me but there's a few niggles.

- Had some problems with Chrome, had to run it with compatibility for Windows 7. However, now there's an issue with streamed content gives you an error message about being corrupted or some sorts. Any solution for that?

- I installed Java ( x32 ) but it flat out refuses to initialize in IE and Chrome when accessing Java content - Why?

- On the Start menu, can you only have two small boxes next to each other in groupings? Because my programs list is creeping towards the bottom and I don't want a grouping 3x longer than all the others

- When searching ( Windows key - Start writing ) is it possible to list all search results under same tab? Because having it separated under 3 different tabs is annoying.

- I've always set my HDDs to shut off after 20 minutes, as I have a few data / download discs which I access a few times a week. However under Windows 8 with the same power settings as Windows 7, some of the drivers randomly starts to spin up like they are being accessed ... How do I stop it from doing that, what's causing it?

Anyone having aliasing issues with the media player video playback? The picture is terrible for SD content. Drivers are already updated. Never had this issue with Windows 7. Aliasing isn't present in VLC though but I still prefer using media player.

Yes, all my SD content was hideous until I installed the official DivX codec (but I guess any third party codec will do). Don't use VLC, so never compared, but now it's OK in WMP12.

- On the Start menu, can you only have two small boxes next to each other in groupings? Because my programs list is creeping towards the bottom and I don't want a grouping 3x longer than all the others

When you zoom out on your Start screen, you can make groups of 3 or 4 rows of icons by just dragging them together. Here you can also name the groups of icons.

Mr_Zombie

- When searching ( Windows key - Start writing ) is it possible to list all search results under same tab? Because having it separated under 3 different tabs is annoying.

This is the complaint I think I will never understand. If you search for a program, why do you need to see results from both settings and files? And if you're looking for a document, why would you need a listing of programs that share the phrase you were looking for?

Sethos

Banned
This is the complaint I think I will never understand. If you search for a program, why do you need to see results from both settings and files? And if you're looking for a document, why would you need a listing of programs that share the phrase you were looking for?

Because I know exactly what I'm looking for, the name of the document or file plus its icon. I don't need it separated in three tabs, forcing me to wade through those as well. It's not like I'm derping around search not having a clue what I'm looking for and these brilliant search tabs will make it all easier. So this is just an extra step in the process of searching since Windows 7, which worked fine.

When you zoom out on your Start screen, you can make groups of 3 or 4 rows of icons by just dragging them together. Here you can also name the groups of icons.

I don't seem to be able to get this working properly. I can select the group, I can take another group and move it on top which just means it moves next to said group with the usual space between the separation.

Because I know exactly what I'm looking for, the name of the document or file plus its icon. I don't need it separated in three tabs, forcing me to wade through those as well. It's not like I'm derping around search not having a clue what I'm looking for and these brilliant search tabs will make it all easier.

Yeah, this is also my gripe with the WinKey search method.

They should introduce a shortcut search letter like you can with google such as "f cv" to search files that are named CV, "p photoshop" to find programs named photoshop etc.

cory64

Because I know exactly what I'm looking for, the name of the document or file plus its icon. I don't need it separated in three tabs, forcing me to wade through those as well.

If you know what you're looking for then why would you be wading through the tabs?
Search is easier than in 7 imo, worth the separation. It's no different than clicking on the "Documents" "Pictures" "Music" "Other" in the file search tab.

godspoken

- Had some problems with Chrome, had to run it with compatibility for Windows 7. However, now there's an issue with streamed content gives you an error message about being corrupted or some sorts. Any solution for that?
Are you sure you have the latest version of Google Chrome? A silly question since it updates automatically, but you shouldn't need to run it in compatibility mode. Heck, you can even launch Chrome as a Metro app.

Sethos

Banned
If you know what you're looking for then why would you be wading through the tabs?
Search is easier than in 7 imo, worth the separation. It's no different than clicking on the "Documents" "Pictures" "Music" "Other" in the file search tab.

What? When I searched for something in Windows 7 it would appear right above it - NOT separated. Means you could search, arrow up and press enter. Now you need to search, usually realize it's in the second or third tab, arrow to the tab, press enter, press tab to get into the search results, arrow again if there's multiple results, then enter.

It's nothing but a roadblock.

Are you sure you have the latest version of Google Chrome? A silly question since it updates automatically, but you shouldn't need to run it in compatibility mode. Heck, you can even launch Chrome as a Metro app.

Using one of the Betas, 25.0.1364.36 beta-m

Maybe I need to get one of the stable releases?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Because I know exactly what I'm looking for, the name of the document or file plus its icon. I don't need it separated in three tabs, forcing me to wade through those as well. It's not like I'm derping around search not having a clue what I'm looking for and these brilliant search tabs will make it all easier. So this is just an extra step in the process of searching since Windows 7, which worked fine.

Win > apps
Win+F > files
Win+W > settings

Outsanity

So just installed W8Pro after being inspired by the price hike coming in Feb, surprisingly impressed by it so far having only messed around with it once just recently - only one thing bugging me:

Since I installed, my FN+F5/6 keys to alter screen brightness have stopped working (the volume ones for FN+F3/4 work fine still) and I've no idea why. Running on a Sony Vaio F series, and for that matter, for anyone that has a Vaio, the "Assist" "S1" and "Vaio" buttons no longer work either. I'm guessing it's a driver issue.

Any suggestions?

Jzero

So just installed W8Pro after being inspired by the price hike coming in Feb, surprisingly impressed by it so far having only messed around with it once just recently - only one thing bugging me:

Since I installed, my FN+F5/6 keys to alter screen brightness have stopped working (the volume ones for FN+F3/4 work fine still) and I've no idea why. Running on a Sony Vaio F series, and for that matter, for anyone that has a Vaio, the "Assist" "S1" and "Vaio" buttons no longer work either. I'm guessing it's a driver issue.

Any suggestions?
It probably is a driver issue. What you can do for now is to open the charms bar (Win + C), click on settings and edit the brightness from there.

Outsanity

or just Win + I

It probably is a driver issue. What you can do for now is to open the charms bar (Win + C), click on settings and edit the brightness from there.

Cheers! I thought as much, no big deal I guess, I didn't really use them to begin with but I just like to know they're working. That shortcut is real handy though, thanks, I'm thinking shortcuts seem to be the way forward in W8 so far.

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone use start8? I'm trying to get it to use the metro style menu and every time I click it, a file explorer window opens or nothing happens at all. It looks like it trying to open then closes right away.

surly

Banned

Any suggestions?
I had the same problem albeit with a different Vaio model, although in my case, the brightness option in the Charm Bar also said "unavailable" so I couldn't adjust the brightness at all and it was stuck on max.

Fixing it was somewhat of a ball ache. I did a bunch of Googling and found a blog that listed a solution (although it was aimed at Windows 7 users, but it worked for 8 too), and there were dozens of comments underneath from people saying thanks, so I gave it a go and it worked.

What you have to do is install these pieces of Sony software in this order, rebooting between each one (not sure if this is 100% required, but that's what the blog said to do, so that's what I did): -

1. Sony Shared Library
2. Setting utility Series
3. Vaio Event Service
4. Vaio Control Center
5. Sony Utilities DLL

You will find them on Sony's website - or spread across different Sony sites. I had an old Vaio, so in some cases I had to use versions of these files meant for other laptops of the same series, or versions of these files meant for Windows 7 or Vista, but it made all of the functions keys on the keyboard work again. Obviously, I cannot guarantee that it will work for you though as there was probably an element of luck in me choosing versions of the above files that happened to work properly with my system.

This is a common problem with Vaios. Sony could make it much easier by just having a "hotkey driver" or whatever, that's a single file you download and run to get the hotkeys working again after a fresh OS install.

markot

Banned
Great...

Microsoft is so freaking useless...

How do I 'reinstall' from the stupid metro settings menu when it asks me to put in physical media which I dont have? and I cant download cause I have an 'upgrade' key...?

The upgrade assistant wont even let me do anything because all of a sudden my computer appears to be in a region that wont allow it, despite me changing nothing.

Homeboyd

I know this isn't the right place, but I'm not sure where else to ask. Planning on picking up a Surface Pro and I'm definitely doing to be picking up MS Office 2013 for it (would like Pro). Good place to pick this up? (i.e. discounted?)

I saw the promo for students and "some" businesses, but I don't have a promo code (and I'm not a student).

markot

Banned
I know this isn't the right place, but I'm not sure where else to ask. Planning on picking up a Surface Pro and I'm definitely doing to be picking up MS Office 2013 for it (would like Pro). Good place to pick this up? (i.e. discounted?)

I saw the promo for students and "some" businesses, but I don't have a promo code (and I'm not a student).

Its not out yet

Jzero

I don't think they are selling it yet, or are they? I'm still using the 2013 preview.
----------
It seems they are doing a promotion that get's you the next version of Office for free if you buy the current one though.

markot

Banned
If you have an older version of office just stick to it. Nothing microsoft did really made office that finger friendly at all. I mean its basically just more ribbons.

The only tablet friendly office product is one note on the app store, and its free.

Hell, on windows rt office still goes to 'desktop' mode.

xJavonta

Banned
So I go to activate my Windows Media Center key and it goes through, but when I restart my computer it says I'm not activated? What the hell? Everything was fine prior to adding Media Center. Any ideas on what to do? When I click the "Activate Windows" button it doesn't work.

Edit: This is what I get. Sorry about image size, it's late and I really need to get some sleep.
Y1jI2di.png

Top Bottom