• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

MrBig

I need help installing Windows 8.

I currently have Windows 8 running on my HDD, but I want to do a fresh install on my SSD that I just installed to where my DVD drive used to be.

I have the Win8 iso file, and I was thinking of mounting it on a virtual drive (this is all done in HDD Win8) and install to my SSD. However, it looks like the installation setup only recognizes the whole thing as a upgrade to my HDD, and I am not sure whether it will give me an option to do a fresh install to my SSD?

I heard that I should copy the iso file to an USB drive and boot up the computer with it. Is this the only way?

Thanks!

Mounting the iso on a usb drive using the MS install tool and unplugging all the drives except for the SSD would probably be the easiest option.

DOD switches to Windows 8 and Office 2013, everyone's already dead.

Microsoft just scored a whopping three-year software-licensing deal that will put Windows 8 into the hands of 75 percent of people who work for the United States Department of Defense.
The DOD employs about 450,000 folks, it says. So more than 330,000 of them will soon be using Microsoft's newest operating system.

Employees will also get access to Microsoft's latest Office software, Office 2013, as well as SharePoint 2013 Enterprise.

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-windows-8-department-of-defense-2013-1?0=enterprise

Pooya

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/...of-2012-us-ce-holiday-sales-according-to-npd/
(November 18 – December 22, 2012)

Despite the hype, and hope, around the launch of Windows 8, the new operating system did little to boost holiday sales or improve the year-long Windows notebook sales decline. Windows notebook holiday unit sales dropped 11 percent, on par with Black Friday, and similar to the yearly trend, but revenue trends weakened since Black Friday to end the holiday period down 10.5 percent. ASPs rose only $2 to $420. Touchscreen notebooks were 4.5 percent of Windows 8 sales with ASPs around $700. Sales of Windows notebooks under $500 fell by 16 percent while notebooks priced above $500 increased 4 percent. Macbook sales dropped 6 percent while the ASPs rose almost $100 to $1419.

*Consumer electronics excludes: Amazon Kindle products, iPad, Surface, mobile phones, and video games.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How is it that Windows 8 uses less resources than Windows 7 even though they have the same system requirements?

Tomat

Hrm... the only things keeping me from switching back to Windows 7 is the boot time and the fact that it's more lightweight. If I didn't have a shitty PC it wouldn't really matter.

My only real problem with 8 right now is that it's pretty terrible when it comes to trying to play old games.

Tomat

what games are you trying to run? it's not any different than 7 as far as compatibility goes.

Kohan Ahriman's Gift (Steam) and Arcanum (GOG) are the only games with issues that I've come across so far. Kohan runs if you play the game in windowed mode through D3DWindower. Haven't been able to find a fix for Arcanum yet.

Is it possible to unattach a VHD, remove it from the boot menu then regain the hard drive space it was using? If so, how exactly would I do that? The problem I have is that the VHD doesn't show up in Disk Management or under My Computer for that matter. It's running an OS on it (I'm sure you could gather that from the "boot menu" comment) which it does without issue, but I don't need it anymore and would prefer to destroy it + take back the space. Yes, destroy. Well, no, you get what I mean though.

Any help would be great, thanks.

tearsofash

Not necessarily a Windows 8 question, but does anyone have Office 2013? It comes with SkyDrive Pro and I can't figure out how to use it. It just wants me to type in a link and sync. I guess I'll just stick to the native Win8 skydrive?

Lynn616

Windows 8 up to 6.93 percent on Steam. November was 4.69.

Lmh7O.jpg

JaggedSac

Just noticed that it started working again as well. Looks like Steam is now on more Windows 8 boxes than the rest of the non-Windows OS's combined. Curious to see how these numbers progress.

Hmm, I wonder what they are classifying as notebooks.

I think Windows 8 notebook sales are obviously going to decline as a segment of those purchases will end up being tablets/convertibles and over time we'll see the % of sales being pure notebooks become lower and lower.

Windows 8 up to 6.93 percent on Steam. November was 4.69.

Lmh7O.jpg

Anyone know the October number?

Bit-Bit

I'm currently using Windows 8 on my desktop and I love it. Currently waiting for Surface Pro to release so I can use it as my work laptop.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Tomat

Ryan_

Next to reddhub and perhaps pinsteam, are there any must have apps?

Also, is there a way to customize not only the tiles for desktop apps via oblytile but also the tiles for the microsoft apps that are included? I'm not a fan of those flashy coloured squares.

And is it possible to change the background wallpaper in the start menu? Thanks!

JaggedSac

what's the point of the Win8 (not RT) store ? why can't I buy Office or Photoshop in it for example ?

Modern UI apps and links to desktop apps that are certified. Doubt Adobe would sell Photoshop in the store if it were possible anyway considering the cut MS would take.

Pooya

what's the point of the Win8 (not RT) store ? why can't I buy Office or Photoshop in it for example ?

watered down version of desktop apps with touch friendly interface, that sums up win store app :p

win8 is also on laptops with touchscreen and tablets, so there. On your desktop there isn't much point to it.

There are quite a few desktop apps on the store actually, the page usually just redirects to the software home page.

watered down version of desktop apps with touch friendly interface, that sums up win store app :p

win8 is also on laptops with touchscreen and tablets, so there. On your desktop there isn't much point to it.

There are quite a few desktop apps on the store actually, the page usually just redirects to the software home page.

I prefer the metro skype app, it is much cleaner than the desktop app, for example

Pooya

I prefer the metro skype app, it is much cleaner than the desktop app, for example

I can why someone would prefer them,
I really want a full featured twitter client with live tiles. Rowi, metrotwit, all of them suck, it would be pretty useful for me to have something with word filters and mute and other features something like tweetdeck or Janetter have on desktop or phone, nothing so far.

JaggedSac

This brings me to a common complaint I have. Devs are lazy and using the default grid and list view controls far too often. At least throw some size variations in some of the items guys.

As for some nice W8 apps to use on the desktop, I would say Netflix, Hulu, and Bing News. Content consumption can be pretty nice in these things. Too bad XBox Music is not particularly good for content consumption.

Wurst

I came to love the new Office, especially OneNote, which helps me organize and visualize my university stuff. Would be a pity to lose it when the trial runs out, though. (Whenever that is)

What's the cheapest way to 'buy' Office 2013 then? I heard one could buy 2010 and then do an upgrade later?

stktt

Banned
This brings me to a common complaint I have. Devs are lazy and using the default grid and list view controls far too often. At least throw some size variations in some of the items guys.

As for some nice W8 apps to use on the desktop, I would say Netflix, Hulu, and Bing News. Content consumption can be pretty nice in these things. Too bad XBox Music is not particularly good for content consumption.

Youtube+ vs YouTube RT is a good example of how even slightly altering the default grid makes everything look better.

I came to love the new Office, especially OneNote, which helps me organize and visualize my university stuff. Would be a pity to lose it when the trial runs out, though. (Whenever that is)

What's the cheapest way to 'buy' Office 2013 then? I heard one could buy 2010 and then do an upgrade later?

If you're at a university...I assume you should be able to get a university copy for pretty cheap. At Carnegie-Mellon, it was like 30$.

Question, what's is the point of Windows RT? I though Windows RT was initiated to create affordable Windows experiences on tablets. Intel's Atom CPU's support full desktop and their performance isn't worse than ARM cpu's. And regarding price, the RT rablets cost about the same as cheap Atom tablets..

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
it was created to get windows on the growing ARM platform and to keep intel in check.

Top Bottom