• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

dLMN8R

True, but that is dumb design imo, they should launch in the screen you run them, as an option at least.

It would be incredibly annoying if I launch an application every single time I boot my PC, and it doesn't open where I want it to open.

Applications have no knowledge of how they're opened. Whether from the start screen, taskbar, Explorer, command prompt, or otherwise it's the exact same code running in the exact same way. Why should it be special-cased and open in a special way in just one of many possibly instances of opening an application? That would be incredibly confusing.

Not to mention the fact that even the Taskbar has multiple configuration options. One shows icons on all monitors. One shows icons on just the app's active monitor. One shows icons on the primary monitor + the monitor it's running on. That muddles things even further when you try to say "app should launch on monitor I clicked the button on.

Some applications even override the system default and deliberately choose to launch themselves in one specific place, for some reason. What do you do for those?

It's not stupid design, you're just not thinking things through.

Azih

Those are the two very different directions that MS is attempting to compete with Apple

RT on tablets is the iPad BUT WITH OFFICE.

Full Win8 on tablets is the Full power tablet with all the functionality of a desktop.

Both have value sure but it doesn't make for a very simple direct message or image.

Azih

dlmn8r, windows 8 needs an option to have the taskbar clock displayed on non primary monitor badly. I have no idea what time it is when there's a full screen game on the primary display!

Those are the two very different directions that MS is attempting to compete with Apple

RT on tablets is the iPad BUT WITH OFFICE.

Full Win8 on tablets is the Full power tablet with all the functionality of a desktop.

Both have value sure but it doesn't make for a very simple direct message or image.

The problem with RT tablets is that Windows 8 tablets cost the same, have similar battery life, are faster, can offer more features like pen input and they run more than metro apps. Office is nice, but on a Windows 8 device, I can install my older version, too.

venne

I would say the app store concept is less about profitability and more about customer lock in.

As for the Metro apps, I'd say the appeal would be that they are designed with touch in mind while most desktop software isn't.

Danj

I seem to remember hearing way back that Windows 8 would sort out all those pesky problems with system locales and running foreign language apps. Is that in fact the case, or was it something that didn't make the cut, or am I misremembering?

dLMN8R

I seem to remember hearing way back that Windows 8 would sort out all those pesky problems with system locales and running foreign language apps. Is that in fact the case, or was it something that didn't make the cut, or am I misremembering?

Do you mean apps in the store? This option's been there all along:

9gaVg.png

MCD

You can install whatever language you want now without getting the "Ultimate version".

That's the only thing different here, I think.

syko de4d

wow first time i used reddit app with an account and i got a message on my desktop because someone replied on my post and with one click on the message i could instantly watch it. Man thats awesome. Would be nice to have a neogaf app with this option, where i get messages when some quotes me or when there is a new message on a subscribed thread.

There are 3 apps i really like right now as a desktop user: Golem.de, 8gag (9gag app, like it more than the website) and reddit to Go!

Any other cool Apps you can all recommend?

Pooya

Music app got an update

Key updates in this release of the Music app include:
- Improvements to simplify access to streaming music for free
- An update to further streamline the transition from a trial subscription to a paid Xbox Music Pass
- A fix to minimize occasional playback concerns
- Additional minor fixes

It's great now!!!

No. back to wmp

True, but that is dumb design imo, they should launch in the screen you run them, as an option at least.

I could see how if you're not always doing the launching (startup process, just something started by another app or even batches for example), it would be preferable to have things appear wherever you left them. At least its consistent this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtMMMgnelWo

explanation at 1:00, demonstration at 2:15-2:30. It'll make complete sense when you see it in action.

having to log out to switch accounts is what I'd want to avoid because it would mean having to close things or re-open them. in Linux and OSX, you have behaviors like you see in that video. You can simply swipe right to left (or left to right, depending) and access a separate instance of your desktop where you have a completely different set of applications open.

For example, on my Mac right now I have:

Desktop 1 (randomness): Chrome (maybe 15 random tabs), Imageshack Uploader, Acrobat, iTunes

Desktop 2 (work): Chrome (and maybe 15 business-related tabs open), e-mail client, Photoshop, FTP app, Word

Desktop 3 (all play): Chrome (and maybe 10 gaming website tabs open), Steam, some text documents with some random notes

I swipe to go from one of those "desktops" to another. My work and play stay isolated from each other without the need to log in or out. I vaguely remember having something that simulated this in Windows many years ago (maybe made by Stardock), but I didn't use it much. But now that I've grown accustomed to it, not having it makes me feel less productive on my Windows 8 desktop and everything feels constricted. Spaces is like having 3 or 4 screens on Windows that you used to separate things...then going back to just 1.

If nobody uses anything like this, I'll just do some digging. I was hoping someone had some experience in this and could just recommend their favorite app for this function. I'm sure there are options out there.
For those interested in something like this for Windows:

http://dexpot.de

works well. a couple of hiccups notwithstanding.

R1CHO

It would be incredibly annoying if I launch an application every single time I boot my PC, and it doesn't open where I want it to open.

Applications have no knowledge of how they're opened. Whether from the start screen, taskbar, Explorer, command prompt, or otherwise it's the exact same code running in the exact same way. Why should it be special-cased and open in a special way in just one of many possibly instances of opening an application? That would be incredibly confusing.

Not to mention the fact that even the Taskbar has multiple configuration options. One shows icons on all monitors. One shows icons on just the app's active monitor. One shows icons on the primary monitor + the monitor it's running on. That muddles things even further when you try to say "app should launch on monitor I clicked the button on.

Some applications even override the system default and deliberately choose to launch themselves in one specific place, for some reason. What do you do for those?

I don't agree with you, but ok, even with the current implementation, the addition of the "send to monitor N" option on the right click menu of the windows on the task bar would not only be a good addition to the multi screen features of the O.S. but also something very easy to implement.

Seems I cannot open Chrome on an extended display. If I switch to the extended display and pick Chrome from the taskbar, it opens it on the main display.

However if I click on Windows Explorer or Control Panel (also pinned) they open on the display where I pick them just fine.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Now now, you are being very closed minded, which is very unlike you. he brings up a great point about multimonitor setup as I run into the exact same issues. I have 3 screens, 2 upstairs and 1 downstairs. The primary is cloned to the upstairs monitor and my downstairs theater room. When I'm downstairs and have a window opened on the 2nd monitor in my upstairs setup it can be a PAIN IN THE BUTT to get it over to the primary screen when I do not have a keyboard sitting next to me (as i tend to just use the logitech touch server for my ipad/iphone, which lacks a windows key).

A simple thing like having a context menu for the taskbar icon saying "send to monitor 1" is not a silly or stupid request, its a great one! Its something that should be implemented as it would have real world uses.

ascully

Been using Windows 8 since launch and I love it. Does anyone know a way to add a clock to your second monitor taskbar? When I am gaming on my primary monitor I would love to know what time it is :)

I gotta say... the performance improvement of the Xbox Music app after update is like night and day

Yeah it really is. The cold boot of the app was basically instant for me.

Now if they can just take a look at whatever the fuck is going on with the UI...

Been using Windows 8 since launch and I love it. Does anyone know a way to add a clock to your second monitor taskbar? When I am gaming on my primary monitor I would love to know what time it is :)

I don't think you can, which is a shame, it would be a nice feature.

Link Man

Banned
I haven't explored it, but is there perhaps a widget that you could put on the second desktop? Perhaps a third-party app?

MrBig

I haven't explored it, but is there perhaps a widget that you could put on the second desktop? Perhaps a third-party app?

I use rainmeter to put keep a clock on one of my non-primaries, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a part of the extended taskbar. Less third party bloat the better.

dLMN8R

About the multimonitor stuff - I agree it would be handy to have the ability in a context menu or somesuch to send a window to another monitor. I was just commenting on initial launches of applications.

For second-monitor clocks, I still use Rainmeter for a bunch of gadgets. They give me some more details and capabilities than live tiles do:

http://rainmeter.net/cms/

sangreal

went to upgrade another one of my PCs and I noticed they're back to not even bothering to ask for a serial when getting the $15 upgrade

plank

Yeah don't know if this is a know issue or not but, I have a Lenovo yoga pad with Windows 8 and I prefer to use Chrome as my default browser. the problem is how do you select multiple text and imitate right clicks and i can't zoom with gestures? On my moms tablet PC its simple but apparently that's not the case with mine. Firefox and IE works fine but can someone here help me out a bit please? thanks :)

jsnepo

I succumb and installed Windows 8 to my desktop. I'm having trouble navigating metro. I don't have a touch screen. Is there a way to close apps you've opened without getting to the left pane, right clicking on it, and choose close? I'm new to this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I succumb and installed Windows 8 to my desktop. I'm having trouble navigating metro. I don't have a touch screen. Is there a way to close apps you've opened without getting to the left pane, right clicking on it, and choose close? I'm new to this.

Put your mouse at the top of the app screen, click and drag down to the bottom of the screen.

It's one of the lamer things about using Win 8 with mouse and keyboard, but there ya go.

(this is also how you can drag and dock metro apps to the left or right side)

Don't close them, they're designed to be left open, they'll automatically become suspended in memory over time and as need by your usage.

If you really do want to close them though, you can move your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click and drag the app to the bottom of the screen. You can also press alt + F4.

Edit: beaten

f0lken

Drag them from up the screen -> down the screen, or you can use the classic alt+f4, or if you have a lot of them open you can do that thing where you see all the open apps you have on the left part and click the mouse wheel on them

BocoDragon

Don't close them, they're designed to be left open, they'll automatically become suspended in memory over time and as need by your usage.

I never liked this bit of app logic. I like my app to be reset when I go back to it hours or days later.

jsnepo

Thanks guys! Dragging open apps to the bottom works.

edit: Why didn't the mail app import my mail settings from live mail? I have three email accounts setup there and none showed up in the mail app. My Windows 8 installation is an upgrade from 7.

MCD

Dragging apps down to close them is the best thing about W8. It's like a minigame of some sort.

I wanna do this with desktop apps so bad. :(

syko de4d

I have a wierd Problem since yesterday:

Shut Down and energy-saving mode does not work. Screen only goes black but the pc is still on. After i move my mouse i am back to the Windows-lockscreen, when i used Shut down all my Programs are closed (like after a fresh start)

I have really no idea, i find nothing via google.

Only things happened yesterday was a Windows Update and that i deactivated my Java in Chrome because of the security flaw.

(Windows restart works)

Upgraded to Windows 8 after the test-taking software my school uses was finally updated to support it. I really like the Metro interface, even with a mouse & keyboard. I switched to Windows Phone 8 from an iPhone because I was getting tired of looking at a grid of icons over a background photo, and it turns out I was also tired of looking at a grid of icons over a background photo on my laptop too!

But not allowing media files stored on a NAS to be played in the Metro music & video players is a big disappointment. Are there any music player apps with a nice interface that do this?

SPDIF

Upgraded to Windows 8 after the test-taking software my school uses was finally updated to support it. I really like the Metro interface, even with a mouse & keyboard. I switched to Windows Phone 8 from an iPhone because I was getting tired of looking at a grid of icons over a background photo, and it turns out I was also tired of looking at a grid of icons over a background photo on my laptop too!

But not allowing media files stored on a NAS to be played in the Metro music & video players is a big disappointment. Are there any music player apps with a nice interface that do this?

I don't use a NAS so I don't know if this actually works, but a quick search brought me here.

There's also this.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

I've yet to get work arounds for the library issues to work with my qnap NAS

I started using Plex to allow people upstairs to stream thru DLNA bluray player as well as client on iphone and windows 8

Plex might be my favorite app ever for music and video..its more of a streaming app..but running your own personal netflix like server at home that you can stream to anywhere is pretty damn cool
client is 3bucks server is free

railGUN

Banned
I dicked around with a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop tonight at Walmart (an Acer) - how do you bring up the Start screen via touch?

I found the "close app" gesture pretty janky too, it kept bringing up the settings(?) menu (as if I was right clicking). Charm swipe worked great though, but overall I wasn't impressed.

BocoDragon

I dicked around with a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop tonight at Walmart (an Acer) - how do you bring up the Start screen via touch?

I found the "close app" gesture pretty janky too, it kept bringing up the settings(?) menu (as if I was right clicking). Charm swipe worked great though, but overall I wasn't impressed.
You didn't notice the windows icon in the charms? Toggles the start screen/desktop.
Also I think most Win 8 touchscreens have a dedicated windows button.

lol

Top Bottom