• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2010 Anime Thread: Wandering Son & All the Other Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
jman2050 said:
Well I figured it was that, but frankly your description matches so many different shows it's hard to be sure.

that too
either im getting too old for anime, or the quality has dropped massively

Uchip

Banned
Hitokage said:
You'll get along just fine around here.

oh?
before i quit posting at ign the anime ppl there reccomended me stuff like "strike witches" and "k-on" as the second coming of animuchrist...
put me off anime for a good while

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Uchip said:
oh?
before i quit posting at ign the anime ppl there reccomended me stuff like "strike witches" and "k-on" as the second coming of animuchrist...

Oh good, he's on our side!

zeroshiki

Uchip said:
oh?

?

K-On is a good series.

Damn anime hipsters.

Branduil

Lafiel said:
He's probably talking about "objective" quality, i enjoyed both Oreimo and Madoka, but i wouldn't describe them as being objectively good in a sense!
Madoka is objectively good.

OreImo is objectively bad.

tiff

Banned
Uchip said:
oh?
They sound like good people.

jman2050

Uchip said:
oh?

Damn I'm so sorry, didn't realize you had it so bad.

Uchip

Banned
zeroshiki said:
?

K-On is a good series.

Damn anime hipsters.

ive been watching this medium for a good 15+ years
i feel like a (g rated) voyeur watching shows like k-on and oreimo
im not a horny teenager anymore and anime needs substance to be entertaining
if anything otaku are hipsters because they act like nobody can relate to their moe :)

Uchip said:
oh?

Really? Really? I'm not as pessimistic about the state of anime as some people, but anime fans definitely make me pessimistic sometimes.

trejo

Uchip said:
oh?
Welcome, brother!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Uchip said:
oh?

Not like there's anything better these days. Anime just appeals to weirdos these days , and I am not trolling. There's barely any interesting anime. Maybe I've outgrown of it or got over the normal japanese cliches. There's barely anything unique and the wacky stuff is just ridiculous, plus add to that moe anime and "ecchi" anime and this thing is fucked. Hopefully we get a real renaissance soon... because the current state is just sad.

EDIT:

Well maybe its not THAT bad. I mean... we got a new Ippo season two years back, hopefully we get some new FMP and all will be forgiven

hosannainexcelsis said:
Really? Really? I'm not as pessimistic about the state of anime as some people, but anime fans definitely make me pessimistic sometimes.

The fans on both side of the spectrum make me pessimistic about my hobby. I find the elitist monocle people who think their tastes are absolute equally as annoying as the uguu moe moe gonna bring mah K-on body pillow to the quad on campus people.

But I try my best to ignore that and just enjoy what I like. I think a lot of people would be happier if they did the same.

zeroshiki

Uchip said:
if anything otaku are hipsters because they act like nobody can relate to their moe :)

Entertainment is entertainment. There are lotsa people here who swear by Aria and Haibane Renmei and they're still basically just slice of life. K-On just took moe pandering to the extreme but its the same concept.

Uchip

Banned
Relix said:
Not like there's anything better these days. Anime just appeals to weirdos these days , and I am not trolling. There's barely any interesting anime. Maybe I've outgrown of it or got over the normal japanese cliches. There's barely anything unique and the wacky stuff is just ridiculous, plus add to that moe anime and "ecchi" anime and this thing is fucked. Hopefully we get a real renaissance soon... because the current state is just sad.

well
hellsing ultimate is good
too bad it comes out ones a year or something
and whats the story with the new berserk anime? im really uninformed

JKTrix

People just need to look harder (or pay more attention to the right people in forums) to find the 'good' stuff that doesn't make you feel like a pedo.

I can guarantee there's a lot of great older stuff you haven't seen too.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JKTrix said:
People just need to look harder (or pay more attention to the right people in forums) to find the 'good' stuff that doesn't make you feel like a pedo.

I can guarantee there's a lot of great older stuff you haven't seen too.

Please do share, in all honesty (but not things before 90s. Can't stand the art =P.) Last anime that really caught me was Escaflowne. Nice ride that was.

Uchip

Banned
zeroshiki said:
Entertainment is entertainment. There are lotsa people here who swear by Aria and Haibane Renmei and they're still basically just slice of life. K-On just took moe pandering to the extreme but its the same concept.

angels in purgatory =/= schoolgirls

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Relix said:
Please do share, in all honesty (but not things before 90s. Can't stand the art =P.) Last anime that really caught me was Escaflowne. Nice ride that was.

Yeah this isn't going to work out.

Relix said:

EDIT:

Well maybe its not THAT bad. I mean... we got a new Ippo season two years back, hopefully we get some new FMP and all will be forgiven

There was a lot of shit back then too. If there's even 1 or 2 good shows per season, that's still just as good or better than most of the 90s.

Have you checked anything out this season, cause there is some good stuff.

Uchip

Banned
Relix said:

I hear theres an escaflowne movie
I also hear it wasnt very good

tiff

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
The fans on both side of the spectrum make me pessimistic about my hobby. I find the elitist monocle people who think their tastes are absolute equally as annoying as the uguu moe moe gonna bring mah K-on body pillow to the quad on campus people.
I don't really care what people like. I think judging people for their tastes is kinda lame and pointless.

It's all in how you carry yourself.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Relix said:
...why?

Not everything from the 80s looks the same!

zeroshiki

Uchip said:
angels in purgatory =/= schoolgirls

If you strip it down to the basics, its basically just them going about their lives with not much plot advancement.

Although I feel like we had this convo yesterday re: Yakitate and Sexy Commando and I was on the other side arguing that we can't strip stuff down to just concepts. Meh, whatever. Anything to win an Internet argument.

cosmicblizzard said:

But I try my best to ignore that and just enjoy what I like. I think a lot of people would be happier if they did the same.

That's a statement I can get behind. Don't be an overbearing elitist, don't be a creepy otaku, and don't let other people ruin your enjoyment of good shows. Words to live by.

Relix said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347831

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414748

If you want to find good anime, old and new, start here.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Aigis said:
Nonoriri said:
InfiniteNine said:
The hells wrong with you man?

Don't ask me. Just can;t stand it. forced me to watch Record of Loddoss War.. nice art and all, horrible animation and even worse sound. I am sorry but I like to watch something that appeals me, not everyone likes yellow-blonde hair and long noses while moving 1 frame per second and every sound coming from one speaker. Most of these old anime really haven't aged well at all. And no, liking old anime doesn't make you any more hardcore.

JKTrix

Nonoriri said:
Yeah, that's an issue that a lot of people have, not watching older stuff. But even 90's was pretty rich.

Escaflowne is a fantasy series. For more fantasy, there's Twelve Kingdoms. Macodin recently watched it and really enjoyed it (to namedrop someone with a higher profile in this thread than me). It's 45 episodes so it should last a while if you're not one of those crazy people who watch 20 episodes in a day.

(I'm personally anti-marathon--like 10+ episodes of the same show in one day. I feel it cheapens the anime viewing experience remarkably.)
hosannainexcelsis said:
If you want to find good anime, old and new, start here.
I think this is kind of a problem too. This is fine for someone who is motivated and hungry to just watch good stuff, but when someone is just like 'anime sucks, prove me wrong--I haven't liked anything since XXX'. It's a little better to focus on the thing they liked and find something else you think they'd like, rather than listing a whole bunch f stuff like that and saying 'pick one'.

I also don't like recommending things that are way past someone's 'level', as abstract as that is. Like, if someone is just coming fresh off of InuYasha, I'm not going to tell them to go watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. There's a chance they'd really like it, but it's kind of a stretch going from something 'light' like InuYasha to something that takes a lot of investment to really enjoy like LoGH.

But then, a lot of people (like me) don't have the time to go tailor-making recommendations for everyone, so lists have to be made!

iavi

Uchip said:

I agree with this. And it's actually something that the debate over that top3 anime poll a little while ago got me thinking on. No time to go into it now though.

jman2050

hosannainexcelsis said:
That's a statement I can get behind. Don't be an overbearing elitist, don't be a creepy otaku, and don't let other people ruin your enjoyment of good shows. Words to live by.

But being an elitist is fun, at least on this forum!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JKTrix said:
Yeah, that's an issue that a lot of people have, not watching older stuff. But even 90's was pretty rich.

Escaflowne is a fantasy series. For more fantasy, there's Twelve Kingdoms. Macodin recently watched it and really enjoyed it (to namedrop someone with a higher profile in this thread than me). It's 45 episodes so it should last a while if you're not one of those crazy people who watch 20 episodes in a day.

(I'm personally anti-marathon--like 10+ episodes of the same show in one day. I feel it cheapens the anime viewing experience remarkably.)

Oh I watched Twelve Kingdoms too a few years back. Awesome though the un-finished ending kinda ruined it for me. Very nice show. Also... since I have so few free time I can maybe watch one or two episodes per day =P

Instro

cosmicblizzard said:
There was a lot of shit back then too. If there's even 1 or 2 good shows per season, that's still just as good or better than most of the 90s.

Have you checked anything out this season, cause there is some good stuff.

Pretty much, theres almost always a few shows per season that are truly worth watching, even in the worst of seasons.

Anyway, the new thread is going up tomorrow or so? Bring on more Kaiji.

Branduil

Relix said:
Don't ask me. Just can;t stand it. forced me to watch Record of Loddoss War.. nice art and all, horrible animation and even worse sound. I am sorry but I like to watch something that appeals me, not everyone likes yellow-blonde hair and long noses while moving 1 frame per second and every sound coming from one speaker. Most of these old anime really haven't aged well at all. And no, liking old anime doesn't make you any more hardcore.
Not every old anime is Lodoss War.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Maybe you are watching the wrong anime? >_>

Hey at least we recommend good anime, can't say the same about the other group.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Branduil said:
Not every old anime is Lodoss War.

Berserk was awesome. Animation kinda ruined it for me.
Dragon Ball... oh crap.
Gundam? Fun and all but every single time the horrible character designs and weak animations killed it for me.
Ashita no Joe: Classic, but never could stand the designs and animation.

I can go oooon and ooon

cosmicblizzard said:

This basically sums up my feelings. I try to ignore fans and just enjoy watching things.

trejo

Relix said:
Oh I watched Twelve Kingdoms too a few years back. Awesome though the un-finished ending kinda ruined it for me. Very nice show. Also... since I have so few free time I can maybe watch one or two episodes per day =P
You should check out Seirei no Moribito. I feel it might just be up your alley.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hellsing321 said:
People who say anime has become shit and aren't watching Wandering Son make me sad. :(
Considering Relix is one of those soul-less people that thought mushi-shi was boring...:p

Branduil

Relix said:
Berserk was awesome. Animation kinda ruined it for me.
Dragon Ball... oh crap.
Gundam? Fun and all but every single time the horrible character designs and weak animations killed it for me.
Ashita no Joe: Classic, but never could stand the designs and animation.

I can go oooon and ooon
Watch all of the old Ghibli movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom