• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After that, Steins;Gate and Acchi Kocchi? You might die in anime ecstasy. Not a bad way to go I might add.

Should this happen, remind Duckroll that my last request was to have a tag.

I have, actually! As with all shows that I watch however, I put it on-hold (at around ep. 5 I think? The cast's pranks and hijinks were very enjoyable.)

Procrastination is my life-blood. I maybe finished 2 shows in the last 8 months, with around 30 shows that I got around to watching but never finished. ;_;

But thanks for bringing it up, because I have a huge itch to watch it right now.

Episode 5? The suspense over who wins the blitzball astroball tournament must be killing you.

I'm stalled at episode 13 of it, which would be fine it if weren't a two cour show. Going to pick it up again soon because it's so good...

stellvia11%207.png

Rinna uses her virtual reality headset to browse AnimeGAF

-------

This thread is a den of sin. The only thing that comes from sin is punishment. As such, behold, the Maoyuu Maou Yuusha gif that no one wanted to see:

Feast on it.

I wonder how the light novel describes this scene.

cajunator

Banned
Should this happen, remind Duckroll that my last request was to have a tag.

Episode 5? The suspense over who wins the blitzball astroball tournament must be killing you.

I'm stalled at episode 13 of it, which would be fine it if weren't a two cour show. Going to pick it up again soon because it's so good...

-------

I wonder how the light novel describes this scene.

It really is a good little show.
Wish more Gaffers watched Stellvia.
Ive seen a bunch of shows I don't think I have ever seen animeGaf discussing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Backlog season oh yeah!

Hataraki Man 1

Oh, man! An anime about my job! This is glorious. I mean, the newsroom life is glorious. So much glory. Wait, no, that's wrong.

I've been there. On a weekly basis.

This show seems really interesting. Well, sonicmj1 already pointed it out, but it deals with something other than high school life, and that's usually enough to keep me watching.

So, yeah: a newsroom. A regular newsroom. I was sure that it'd weird me out, "it" being a Japanese newsroom, but it actually feels pretty similar to what I'm used to. Thank the heavens I don't deal with politics, though. The way the protagonist didn't bail out immediatelly after that first call proves that she has a much stronger will than I do, haha.

The ED is pretty good, too. Looking forward to the rest.

DiGiKerot

I've seen Stellvia a couple of times, still kind of disappointed after the way the series ended with what was essentially a sequel-tease of sorts (not that it's inconclusive or anything, but still). I'm pretty sure I've got a set of Stellvia capsule toys somewhere.

Noirulus

Hmmm. I can't say I remember a blitzball tourny.. I believe I stopped when the MC does pilot training and she's horribad at the beginning of the episode but improves by the end.

edit: It seems that was episode 4. Can't wait to watch me some AstroBlitzball now.

I meant it wasn't as bad as that. As in, not as bad as that gif.

Oh, lol.

It really is a good little show.
Ive seen a bunch of shows I don't think I have ever seen animeGaf discussing.

It really is. It's charming, funny and has a great cast. It's literally got something for everybody, even some CG for Ducky.

I've never seen anyone else discuss Moon Phase here before. They must not have seen it, otherwise they'd be discussing it right now.

I've seen Stellvia a couple of times, still kind of disappointed after the way the series ended with what was essentially a sequel-tease of sorts (not that it's inconclusive or anything, but still). I'm pretty sure I've got a set of Stellvia capsule toys somewhere.

So it's kind of like Nadesico then? Somewhat disappointing, but as long as it doesn't end on a cliff-hanger I'll be happy.

Hmmm. I can't say I remember a blitzball tourny.. I believe I stopped when the MC does pilot training and she's horribad at the beginning of the episode but improves by the end.

lol sounds a pretty good summary of most of the first half. Such a good show though, now I really want to start watching it again >_<

sonicmj1

Backlog season oh yeah!

Hataraki Man 1

Oh, man! An anime about my job! This is glorious. I mean, the newsroom life is glorious. So much glory. Wait, no, that's wrong.

I've been there. On a weekly basis.

This show seems really interesting. Well, sonicmj1 already pointed it out, but it deals with something other than high school life, and that's usually enough to keep me watching.

So, yeah: a newsroom. A regular newsroom. I was sure that it'd weird me out, "it" being a Japanese newsroom, but it actually feels pretty similar to what I'm used to. Thank the heavens I don't deal with politics, though. The way the protagonist didn't bail out immediatelly after that first call proves that she has a much stronger will than I do, haha.

The ED is pretty good, too. Looking forward to the rest.

Maybe I was focusing too much on the differences sometimes. Offices are still offices, and the same things have to get done in any newsroom. I'd say that Japanese work life is probably more relatable for the foreign viewer than all the culturally-specific rituals of the Japanese school system.

One other random thing that struck me was how it seems like everything in her office is still done by hand. In many ways, Japan's office culture is remarkably conservative about adopting new technology, but I have thought that most magazines would have moved to word processors and digital printing by the time this manga began eight or nine years ago.

Syrinx

K-ON! 7

So, pretty much dawwwwwwwwwwwww at Yui and Ui throughout the entire episode. I think Sawako was drunk at the party. Who bought the maracas?

cajunator

Banned
It really is. It's charming, funny and has a great cast. It's literally got something for everybody, even some CG for Ducky.

I've never seen anyone else discuss Moon Phase here before. They must not have seen it, otherwise they'd be discussing it right now.

So it's kind of like Nadesico then? Somewhat disappointing, but as long as it doesn't end on a cliff-hanger I'll be happy.

Yeah it just ends a bit disappointingly but its not bad. Anime endings are weak most of the time to begin with. I dont know what it is but no matter how amazing a story is most directors will make some odd decisions that take some of the steam out of anime endings.
Thats why I can rate a lot of shows highly even if I havent seen the ending. For me its the journey that counts the most.

Regarding other shows that get no discussion here: Omishi Magical theater risky Safety, Wandaba Style, Mezzo DSA TV, Ichigo Mashimaro, Blue Seed, Burn Up.....
AlthougH I think limited time to watch as well as recency bias has a lot to do with it.

Syrinx

Yeah it just ends a bit disappointingly but its not bad. Anime endings are weak most of the time to begin with. I dont know what it is but no matter how amazing a story is most directors will make some odd decisions that take some of the steam out of anime endings.
Thats why I can rate a lot of shows highly even if I havent seen the ending. For me its the journey that counts the most.

Regarding other shows that get no discussion here: Omishi Magical theater risky Safety, Wandaba Style, Mezzo DSA TV, Ichigo Mashimaro, Blue Seed, Burn Up.....
AlthougH I think limited time to watch as well as recency bias has a lot to do with it.

I thought you were off to watch SM. What gives?

The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke, courtesy of Zettai Karen Children ep 1
tumblr_mg9qhrvwGz1rl3v18o3_500.jpg

Awesome english OP and song and stunning episode all around. Like Andy just as much as Hyoubu Kyousuke. Hopefully they stay together the whole time as the Catastrophe makes its rounds. Kyousuke is kind of my ideal protagonist so definitely one of the best offered in 2013 thus far.

The action looked and seemed really good, can he do everything possible?

The last one minute though
cant believe Andy is actually a spy and knows he has powers? Or doesnt he?

DiGiKerot

I've seen Risky Safety, but honestly don't think there's much to say about that one. Saw about three-quarters of Blue Seed and can't really remember much beyond the "Pick me up Foxy Night Game" line from the OP. I've seen at least a bit of Mezzo TV and Ichigo Mashimaro...

Honestly, I just don't think any of shows were particularly good enough to still be worth talking about. Other, more recent shows have done similar things better.

-edit-
I've totally seen Moon Phase as well. It was alright.

The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 1

Oh wow, this is actually pretty good. Looks like there will be more to come out of this season than just mediocrity.

Hyoubu is infinitely more swag in this than he ever has been in the manga. I guess that's what happens when you have to make a major antagonist in an existing series the protagonist of a spinoff.

Great action too. Epic esper battles is what I came for, and it looks like that's what I'm going to get.

Oh, it's nowhere near as bad as Nadesico was!

Well that's something at least.

Did it bomb and for that matter did Nadesico bomb?

Agreed, in fact I can't think of many anime in which I enjoy the ending nearly as much as the journey.

Haven't seen any of those yet admittedly, but I'll add them to my backlog list.

It's nice getting chat about older or rarer shows in the midst of currently airing series. Especially if the currently airing series are Maoyu Mao Yusha.

The only thing I know about Moon Phase is the ridiculously catchy OP.

Nekomimi modo ne~!

Onii Sama~!

Kisu Shitakunachatta~!

K-ON! 7

So, pretty much dawwwwwwwwwwwww at Yui and Ui throughout the entire episode. I think Sawako was drunk at the party. Who bought the maracas?

Mio.
Mio gets Sawako's gift, Sawako gets Ritsu's "gift," Ritsu gets Nodoka's gift, Nodoka gets Mio's gift, and then Ui and Yui get each other's gifts.

cajunator

Banned
I've seen Risky Safety, but honestly don't think there's much to say about that one. Saw about three-quarters of Blue Seed and can't really remember much beyond the "Pick me up Foxy Night Game" line from the OP. I've seen at least a bit of Mezzo TV and Ichigo Mashimaro...

Honestly, I just don't think any of shows were particularly good enough to still be worth talking about. Other, more recent shows have done similar things better.

-edit-
I've totally seen Moon Phase as well. It was alright.

Im not saying those were amazing shows or anything, but more just commenting that it would be nice if people gave some lesser known shows a chance instead of always watching cowboy bebop or evangelion or the usual shows that have been discussed a billion times.
I'd like to know what people new to anime might think about Angelic Layer for example. Its a fantastic little show. Mostly Im just listing examples of older stuff in general.

DiGiKerot

Well that's something at least.

Did it bomb and for that matter did Nadesico bomb?

Nadesico was a significant hit, at least amongst the otaku crowd. It's weird ending had nothing to do with it's lack of popularity - the gap between the end of the TV show and the movie was all explained in a Saturn game and novel which came out between the two, but obviously never existed in English.

I don't think Stellvia did particularly badly, but the sequel ran into some kind of production issues during the planning phase. Shame, really.

magic kaito 12

wow that ending was pretty sad for this series, and Kid actually did some cleverish stuff instead of light hearted tom foolery (kinda more like detective conan kid eps).

Kagami

My Twitter timeline informs me that AoD have confirmed they're streaming Sasami-san@Ganbaranai to the UK this season (it's mentioned on their facebook, too). I presume Sentai are likely doing the same in the US via some unannounced channel or other.
Well that's one down.
Now the only shows I'm interested in that still lack streams anywhere in the world are Haganai NEXT and Mondaiji-tachi.

ZetaEpyon

I'm loving seeing so many people pick up Hataraki Man.

Great series that got far less attention than it should have when it aired. Which is also a little weird, since it's an early noitaminA show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom