• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 2 for Xbox 360 'Enhanced Edition', 4+ hours bonus content, out April 17th

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
But but but, I want to dual wield magic and fight dragons and yell at people afterward. Can TW2 do that?

You want to do this in EVERY game you play?

eshwaaz

So excited for this; I wish it was coming out earlier in the year. The Witcher games have been my most coveted PC exclusives of recent years.

rochegifkq9b.gif

Oh shit, I knew Roche was special forces but I had no idea he was such a badass. Only just played a few hours after the prologue.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Look forward to playing the new content on PC. Just started my 2nd playthrough yesterday. Looks like its going be a third when its all said and done.

Binabik15

More content for the pc. Niiice.

I still want TW3 with a mixture of the best of TW1 and TW2 instead of add ons for TW2, as the second one wasn't a straight improvement in every aspect.

Forkball

Witcher and Skyrim are totally different games despite the fact that they are both RPGs.

Although Witcher 2's combat made it more hands-on and fast paced, it still has a lot of turn based mechanics. You also have to be well-prepared and aware of enemy weaknesses if you want to survive. It's not open world, but there's plenty to explore and a lot of great secrets and sidequests. The story and writing are certainly above Skyrim, it's not your typical fantasy story and there are a myriad of memorable characters. Plus it has a choice system that blows other titles out of the water.

But if you've never played Witcher 1, the story of Witcher 2 may be confusing. For example, near the end of the game, there's a character from the first game that pops up and takes an important role. But if you never played the first game, you're thinking "who is this guy and why is he so important all of the sudden?" It gets a bit too Episode I-ish with the political mumbo jumbo, and you could be totally lost unless you played the first game.

Uriah

Witcher and Skyrim are totally different games despite the fact that they are both RPGs.

Although Witcher 2's combat made it more hands-on and fast paced, it still has a lot of turn based mechanics. You also have to be well-prepared and aware of enemy weaknesses if you want to survive. It's not open world, but there's plenty to explore and a lot of great secrets and sidequests. The story and writing are certainly above Skyrim, it's not your typical fantasy story and there are a myriad of memorable characters. Plus it has a choice system that blows other titles out of the water.

But if you've never played Witcher 1, the story of Witcher 2 may be confusing. For example, near the end of the game, there's a character from the first game that pops up and takes an important role. But if you never played the first game, you're thinking "who is this guy and why is he so important all of the sudden?" It gets a bit too Episode I-ish with the political mumbo jumbo, and you could be totally lost unless you played the first game.

What character? It's been a while since I've played.

And I now have lost all interest in this game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

lol, you don't even remotely know what he is talking about. there is no turn-based combat in the game but what he said makes perfect sense after you have experienced gameplay.

I wish it was as good as Arkham games...

Complistic

Can't really think of anything outside Mass Effect 3 I want besides this for Q1. When is the release date?

It makes the Mass Effects look like baby's first RPG. I also think the story and overall atmosphere is done way better. It has fewer characters but they're very well fleshed out. Geralt really is a fascinating character.

Forkball

I'VE LOST ALL INTEREST IN YOU.

By turn-based mechanics, I mean you cant just bumrush and twirl swords. In Witcher 1, the combat was in real time, but was based heavily on timing and comboing. You couldn't just spam click, you had to wait for the most opportune moment. The Witcher 2 is also like this. It's more free and you have greater control of your character, but you can't just run in and start slashing everyone because you will get your ass kicked. It's not like Skyrim where you can use your dual Daedric swords of doom to slice up people. You have to time your attacks so you don't get wrapped up in an enemy's death combo, and since blocking takes off a big portion of stamina, you have to use it conservatively. Witcher 2 relies a lot on mixing up your attacks (standard sword attacks, magic, bombs, traps, potion buffs etc.). Also rolling. Lots of rolling.

RedSwirl

Usually yes but this is a year late port. I don't really see much hype for the game anymore.

Yeah, I hope they do something to reinvigorate the hype train for the game. Put the trailers on the 360 dashboard, release a demo on XBL, etc.

Complistic

I'VE LOST ALL INTEREST IN YOU.

By turn-based mechanics, I mean you cant just bumrush and twirl swords. In Witcher 1, the combat was in real time, but was based heavily on timing and comboing. You couldn't just spam click, you had to wait for the most opportune moment. The Witcher 2 is also like this. It's more free and you have greater control of your character, but you can't just run in and start slashing everyone because you will get your ass kicked. It's not like Skyrim where you can use your dual Daedric swords of doom to slice up people. You have to time your attacks so you don't get wrapped up in an enemy's death combo, and since blocking takes off a big portion of stamina, you have to use it conservatively. Witcher 2 relies a lot on mixing up your attacks (standard sword attacks, magic, bombs, traps, potion buffs etc.). Also rolling. Lots of rolling.

I sorta hope tw3 has less rolling. At least give us other options.

Did someone use my gif?
emot-unsmith.gif

Roche is indeed badass. Fucker made me download at least two-three programs just to make a shitty watermarked animation, just for that moment. Worth it tho.

Haven't played this game for a while, haven't even got to the "other" path.

Must say this though- X-Berts are in for a treat.

Reuenthal

Banned
I have started a second play-through (I am in flotsam) so I hope that I won't need to start a new game to get the 4 hours content and I can just continue with my save file.

Some might disagree, but I loved the fact that Witcher 2 is essentially two 30 hour games in one. The first thing I did after my Roche playthrough was start an Ivoreth playthrough. That and there's like 16 endings or something. I got like 6 or so just by rebooting old save files and making different choices. The Witcher universe is great in that every character is a dick but with varying shades of dickishness.

AllenShrz

Nice news.

Ive just finish this for the second time with UBER on yesterday. WOW of graphics!

What a master peace of a game. My favorite game of 2011 no doubt.

The Story, the characters, the music, the decisions!

Good for 360 owners.

If those 4 hours are used to flesh out the third chapter I will ejaculate

Also, I'm going to settle the debate once and for all

Iorveth > Roche

because

Succubus > Ves

AIN'T NO WAY anyone can dispute that

and if you do

MEET ME SOMEWHERE

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's rather interesting how differently PC Gaf treats this game compared to Crysis 2 when the latter is announced for the consoles.

Definitely will check this out. Just a bit miffed playing the second without playing the first.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Looks like I'm going to wait before starting my PC version of Witcher 2 to see if we do in fact get the free content.

If the PC version didn't have 360 pad support I would've definitely got the console version.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
BRB replaying Witcher 2 PC.

No kidding. The 360 is getting yet another PC port as an "exclusive". One that will be dumbed down for the controller and was $20 a month ago.

Great if you only have a 360 I guess, but PCs are so cheap.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's rather interesting how differently PC Gaf treats this game compared to Crysis 2 when the latter is announced for the consoles.

There are a lot of differences, though. Mainly, TW2 was launched first for PC then downported to consoles afterwards. Also, it's design is (arguably) not compromised to appeal to a larger audience, unlike Crysis 2.

No kidding. The 360 is getting yet another PC port as an "exclusive". One that will be dumbed down for the controller and was $20 a month ago.

If this is the case, then the game was dumbed down long before the 360 port was shown. It plays fine with KB/M, but it was designed with gamepads in mind. You sound ignorant.

Q8D3vil

Definitely will check this out. Just a bit miffed playing the second without playing the first.

different situation, witcher 2 was made for pc then they announced porting it to console.

Victrix

*beard*

Great if you only have a 360 I guess, but PCs are so cheap.

This shit is never going away is it? Ten years from now we'll be hearing about dumbed down console ports for the PS5 ruining PC gaming again.

In short: You are dumb and annoying

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Why go straight to Witcher 2 and not the first?

Is playing the first one optional or something?

There are some references to the first game, and your experience will be better if you've played it, but it's not essential. The first game makes just as many, if not more references to stuff that happens prior to the game in the novels, and most of us on PC didn't read them. You'll be able to follow most of the important stuff without prior knowledge.

They wanted to port TW1 to consoles, it was Rise of the White Wolf if you don't remember, but they outsourced it and weren't happy with how it was going so they axed it. They probably don't have the resources to revive that project at this point. but hopefully those high standards mean that the 360 port will be a solid product.

No....just no.

Just joking, sorry.

SparkTR

We'll see. If this port is a success, CDPR will most likely be acquired by Microsoft and become an Xbox exclusive studio so don't get too hopeful about it.

I think they have too big of an investment in PC gaming for that to happen. If gog.com wants to compete with the likes of Steam and Origin they'd need CDPRs support and good PR.

EDIT: Apparently I can't detect humor.

gabbo

I really, honestly hope that one of those question marks from the added content screen ends up being the Dandelion expansion 'Saviour of Queens' that was announced on April Fools Day. Yes, I realize it was a joke, but to explore the world as Dandelion would blow my mind.

The 360 version doesn't look too bad. Hope it turns out well.

Top Bottom