• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

The Girls Trip market has been proven time and time again. It's opening box office gross shouldn't be a surprise if you've kept up with Black film grosses over the decade.
True.

There is also Tyler Perry who has made a name for himself and he is pretty consistent in term of Box Office Gross.

The Girls Trip market has been proven time and time again. It's opening box office gross shouldn't be a surprise if you've kept up with Black film grosses over the decade.

I know that. There's a reason Kevin Hart is a box office draw, Tyler Perry is rich, and we keep getting the same thriller every September from Screen Gems.

Code:
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/When_the_Bough_Breaks_%282016_film%29.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/ThePerfectGuyPoster.jpg/220px-ThePerfectGuyPoster.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/No_Good_Deed_2014_movie_poster.jpg[/IMG]

We not gonna slander any of those movies on this holy day.

I would stay far the fuck away from a Jennifer Lawrence movie co-starring Bradley Cooper OR Chris Pratt at this point but all three together oh no

It'll work because they're all in the movie together! PEMDAS!

If that isn't on DVD in the next 18 months, i will be shocked

I imagine there's some mega Hollywood version already in the works

Add Cara Delevingne and now we're talking classic

Oh yea can't forget about Hollywood's newest darling, getting lead roles in mega films like Valarian!

Zeeman

Man, that 50/50 domestic / international box office for WW is interesting. Any big intl markets it hasn't opened in yet?

While I completely agree with what you're saying.

Get Out was advertised like a B horror flick, giving no indication of what it was. Reviews came out and excitement spiked. WoM took it by the balls and never let go.

Had a great B horror trailer though. But yeah.

I think they're still cagey because 'Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones' didn't curtail that franchise's slump.

I didn't even realize that was supposed to be Latino focused until I just looked up the synopsis.

We not gonna slander any of those movies on this holy day.

tumblr_inline_niz2udWeCq1t7oi6g.gif

I know that. There's a reason Kevin Hart is a box office draw, Tyler Perry is rich, and we keep getting the same thriller every September from Screen Gems.

Code:
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/When_the_Bough_Breaks_%282016_film%29.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/ThePerfectGuyPoster.jpg/220px-ThePerfectGuyPoster.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/No_Good_Deed_2014_movie_poster.jpg[/IMG]

How you gon' leave off Obsessed? LOL

And you saw they tried to answer back with Unforgettable starring Kathering Heigl and Rosario Dawson and only made 15 million in total.

I'm certain they probably thought it would appeal to a wider audience than than the Black versions.

Black Panther is going to do very well. It won't gross what WW did (I only mention that because I've seen the two mentioned together a bunch) but it's still gonna do really good

People keep mentioning Tyler Perry's success, but Will Packer has been killing the game for years in producing and directing including Girls Trip.

And you saw they tried to answer back with Unforgettable starring Kathering Heigl and Rosario Dawson and only made 15 million in total.

I'm certain they probably thought it would appeal to a wider audience than than the Black versions.

Warner Bros trying to take Screen Gems' shine.

I think Will Packer left Screen Gems films after No Good Deed. (He did Obsessed, Think Like A Man, and Think Like A Man Too.) But then he went on to produce Straight Outta Compton, Ride ALong 2, and oh... Girls Trip.

Making that money.

EDIT: LOL. Good timing. We on the same page.

People keep mentioning Tyler Perry's success, but Will Packer has been killing the game for years in producing and directing including Girls Trip.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, you're concerned over nothing.

What can I say? My faith in the American people has been shaken recently.

Black Panther is going to do very well. It won't gross what WW did (I only mention that because I've seen the two mentioned together a bunch) but it's still gonna really good

The expectation seems to be Spider-Man Homecoming numbers ($300m+) when I feel they should be closer to Winter Soldier numbers.

Slayven

I don't see how we're casting doubt on BP. He was definitely one of the highlights of Civil War and you have the Marvel marketing machine behind him.

Is there anything that releases around Feb that would take away thunder? The movie looks dope. People showed up for Wonder Woman. I think people will do the same here.
BP being in Civil War and the bomb ass teaser will help

Warner Bros trying to take Screen Gems' shine.

I think Will Packer left Screen Gems films after No Good Deed. (He did Obsessed, Think Like A Man, and Think Like A Man Too.) But then he went on to produce Straight Outta Compton, Ride ALong 2, and oh... Girls Trip.

Making that money.

EDIT: LOL. Good timing. We on the same page.

Obsessed is one of my favorite movies. Damn near heard of dude until now

Busty

Banned
Here's a thought. Spider-Man Homecoming is a hit. But how much of that success does it owe to the fact that RDJ's Iron Man is in the film and featured prominently in the marketing?

A 10% bump? A 25% bump? Or maybe even higher?

Seeing as Iron Man is the MCU's biggest pull whoever they get to co-star (or should that be guest star?) in the sequel
(my money is on BlackWidow)
will have less pulling power and that 'bump' won't be there.

So is Homecoming now soundly established to stand on it's own (not worry about the guest star box office bump) or is the sequel going to look weaker with no Iron Man?

Since the start of 2015, the MCU (including Homecoming) has made about $20M less than all of Paramount domestically.

If Mother!, Suburbicon, and Daddy's Home 2 can't cumulatively defeat Thor Ragnarok domestically, Marvel Studios will be a bigger domestic studio from 2015-2017 than Paramount.

To think that at the recent European CinemaCon (I may have the name wrong on that) Jim G told the gathered audience that they expected The Last Knight to be 'the' film of the summer.

With a worldwide gross that's half the previous film they may have to a full year for their next guaranteed hit in M:I 6.

Here's a thought. Spider-Man Homecoming is a hit. But how much of that success does it owe to the fact that RDJ's Iron Man is in the film and featured prominently in the marketing?

A 10% bump? A 25% bump? Or maybe even higher?

Seeing as Iron Man is the MCU's biggest pull whoever they get to co-star (or should that be guest star?) in the sequel
(my money is on BlackWidow)
will have less pulling power and that 'bump' won't be there.

So is Homecoming now soundly established to stand on it's own (not worry about the guest star box office bump) or is the sequel going to look weaker with no Iron Man?
Homecoming 2 is set and releasing after Infinity War so it is 100% going to get a bump just on this basis. Like Iron Man 3 bump that it received after Avengers.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Actually I kind of think the fact that Iron Man features so prominently in the marketing and has like 4 scenes in the actual movie have been a detriment to word of mouth. Not that I can prove that but hey, food for thought.

Busty

Banned
Homecoming 2 is set and releasing after Infinity War 2 so it is 100% going to get a bump just on this basis. Like Iron Man 3 bump that it received after Avengers.

Like the bump Homecoming got from Guardians 2? Like the huge bump Civil War got from having Spider-Man debut in it?

The core Marvel audience is huge but Homecoming (in the US certainly) didn't expand beyond it and that was with Iron Man thrown in.

Actually I kind of think the fact that Iron Man features so prominently in the marketing and has like 4 scenes in the actual movie have been a detriment to word of mouth. Not that I can prove that but hey, food for thought.

I also thought that this might have been a factor. I think Sony maybe played their hand a little strong giving the impression that it's a buddy flick when it isn't.

The expectation seems to be Spider-Man Homecoming numbers ($300m+) when I feel they should be closer to Winter Soldier numbers.

Not that I'm that great of a Box Office predictor but yeah I've got my super early estimate at $250 domestic, $300 if it's damn good (which with the talent involved it for sure could be)

I'd be pretty surprised to see it gross over $300 at the top end though

Like the bump Homecoming got from Guardians 2? Like the huge bump Civil War got from having Spider-Man debut in it?

The core Marvel audience is huge but Homecoming (in the US certainly) didn't expand beyond it and that was with Iron Man thrown in.
Because it had 3 bad movies behind it. How is it hard to understand?

GOTG 1 to GOTG 2 was an increase. Every Captain movie was increased from its predecessor. I similarly expect a bump going from Homecoming 1 to Homecoming 2 especially now that it is set after Avengers 4, which seems to be a major milestone movie in the MCU.

The thing to look at comparing Spidey is Homecoming in comparison to Amazing Spidey 2. That's really the only comparison that actually matters

jtb

Banned
Wow, Planet of the Apes is doing really badly.

Probably the only smart big budget blockbusters in recent memory I can think of off the top of my head. Makes sense that the marketplace would reward them with bomba status.

Guess I should give Fox credit for sticking with the franchise anyways despite never really being megahit status.

Avengers didn't increase between films? How hard is that to understand?
Ok. Let me put it that way.

Cap 1 > Cap 2 > Cap 3. All increased.

Thor 1 > Thor 2 and likely Thor 3 will have similar bumps.

GOTG 1 to GOTG 2. Increase in box office.

You listed a single example of Avengers 1 to 2 just to try to prove a point while ignoring the several other examples here. Even if we strictly talk about Avengers, 1 to 2 was a fairly steady gross. 1.5 billion to 1.4 billion. Not a HUGE drop here that I see.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Homecoming 2 seems likely to decrease if you ask me. Ya'll seen the competition that movie has in Summer '19?

Busty

Banned
Ok. Let me put it that way.

Cap 1 > Cap 2 > Cap 3. All increased.

Thor 1 > Thor 2 and likely Thor 3 will have similar bumps.

GOTG 1 to GOTG 2. Increase in box office.

You listed a single example of Avengers 1 to 2 just to try to prove a point while ignoring the several other examples here.

So it's the exception that proves the rule. Also you didn't answer my question, how much of a bump, if any, did Homecoming get from Iron Man's appearance? What will the absence of said bump mean for the sequel, if anything?

Even if we strictly talk about Avengers, 1 to 2 was a fairly steady gross. 1.5 billion to 1.4 billion. Not a HUGE drop here that I see.

Ultron made $160m less than the first Avengers film in the US.

Maybe that's why it had a big opening and then dropped hard? Who can say.

It's also strange with this Spider-Man featured in Civil War, which did quite well critically and commercially. Perhaps not as well as folks thought, but still, quite well.

Kusagari

Tony was actually in the movie more than I figured he would be considering how I saw people online talking.

I mean, what more did people want? The movie to be a buddy comedy with the two of them?

Was going to see dunkirk but my bro wanted to see Spider-man instead today.

Spider-man was just ok for me. I could have gone without seeing it. The teen aspects weren't as bad as I thought they would be but it kind of failed to make an impression compared to the last few marvel movies (yes, including Dr. Strange). I did like Micheal Keaton and the "twist" was pretty awesome and my favorite part of the movie.

In the spider-pantheon I would say... Spider-man 1 > 2 > Homecoming = Amazing > 3 > ASM2.

Definitely going to see dunkirk next weekend though.

Zombine

Banned

Code:

To be fair No Good Deed is dope as fuck.

So it's the exception that proves the rule. Also you didn't answer my question, how much of a bump, if any, did Homecoming get from Iron Man's appearance? What will the absence of said bump mean for the sequel, if anything?
There is no way to measure such a bump so I have no idea how you expect me to answer it. But as others have said, the bump likely contributed to the OW and the subsequent drops showed that people were expecting something else in the actual movie in term of Iron Man and Spider-Man team up movie.

That said, even if there was no hypothetical Iron Man, I would say it would be hard for the movie to fail to hit $250 million since the buzz surrounding it was great and it had pretty amazing reviews all before opening helping increase its buzz.

Ultron made $160m less than the first Avengers film in the US.
Are we now sticking to just DOM or also talking about WW box office because my comparison was with the WW box office. Ultron still ended up making $1.4 billion which is not that far off from the original Avengers at $1.5 billion even though the DOM gross was lower.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Tony was actually in the movie more than I figured he would be considering how I saw people online talking.

I mean, what more did people want? The movie to be a buddy comedy with the two of them?

I think most people expected Tony Stark to have more scenes in the movie than Happy fucking Hogan.

The very first trailer for Homecoming ends with Spider-Man and Iron Man flying off to presumably kick the shit out of something and that scene wasn't even in the movie.

Wow, Planet of the Apes is doing really badly.

Probably the only smart big budget blockbusters in recent memory I can think of off the top of my head. Makes sense that the marketplace would reward them with bomba status.

Guess I should give Fox credit for sticking with the franchise anyways despite never really being megahit status.

Don't think it has anything to do with Apes being smart (and it ain't even that smart). It doesn't live up to the second movie and has a really poorly paced second half which makes recommending it to other people a tall task in the sea of current quality flicks.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I just want to say Michael Ealy hiding under the bed in The Perfect Guy is probably my favorite scene in any trailer ever.

RNlAgtu.gif

Busty

Banned
I think people are overanalysing Apes relatively poor showing. I just don't think people wanted to see what I'm told is essentially a war at this time given the state of the world.

Mix that feeling with the franchise fatigue that set in for Pirates and Transformers and you have an audience that will probably catch this on a second window like Blu Ray, HBO or Netflix or whatever.

I think people are overanalysing Apes relatively poor showing. I just don't think people wanted to see what I'm told is essentially a war at this time given the state of the world.

Mix that feeling with the franchise fatigue that set in for Pirates and Transformers and you have an audience that will probably catch this on a second window like Blu Ray, HBO or Netflix or whatever.

I'm sorry but that sounds like bullshit

Or it could be the opposite. Maybe people wanted a War and got a lousy prison escape instead. Dawn is more deserving of the War title.

Top Bottom