• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Girls Trip did crazy good, a black comedy with 4 black female characters pulling $30mil off that bat already clearing its Budget.

Goddamn, if other studios dont take notice of this, they're fucking dumb

Paramount's five highest domestic grossers since 2014:

-Mission Impossible Rogue Nation (2015): $195m ($683m WW)

-The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (2015): $163m ($325m WW)

-Star Trek Beyond (2016): $158m ($343m WW)

-Transformers: The Last Knight (2017): $125m ($547m WW)

-Arrival (2016): $91m ($203m WW)

They haven't had a movie pass $200m domestic in 3 years.
Comparison to Sony.

Spider-Man Homecoming (Still in cinema) - $251,711,581

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $202,853,933

Specter - $200,074,609

22 Jump Street - $191,719,337

Hotel Transylvania 2 - $169,700,110

mreddie

No. There is another.

Levon-Biss_Quentin-Tarantino_071212-2894_V1_square_md.jpg

Nah, he's lost that shine for a bit.

Paul Thomas Anderson though.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Paramount's five highest domestic grossers since 2014:

-Mission Impossible Rogue Nation (2015): $195m ($683m WW)

-The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (2015): $163m ($325m WW)

-Star Trek Beyond (2016): $158m ($343m WW)

-Transformers: The Last Knight (2017): $125m ($547m WW)

-Arrival (2016): $91m ($203m WW)

They haven't had a movie pass $200m domestic in 3 years.

Arrival crossed the $100M domestically.

Furthermore, you have Daddy's Home that did $150M domestically as well.

Has Nolan ever hinted he's thought about Inception 2? Because yeah that would be massive at the Box Office

Though I feel like a sequel wouldn't really work with that ending

Girls Trip did crazy good, a black comedy with 4 black female characters pulling $30mil off that bat already clearing its Budget.

Goddamn, if other studios dont take notice of this, they're fucking dumb

Black films have been doing this for years. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody who has kept up. Even last year's critically panned When the Bough Breaks that starred Morris Chestnut and Regina Hall made 30 million domestically off a 10 million production budget.

Hollywood knows this, it's one of their best kept secrets.

Ashhong

LOL OK. Spider Man in it's 3rd week, War for the Planet of the Apes in it's 2nd week, and Valerian opening the same week is ABSOLUTELY going to be competition for Dunkirk. What demographic do you think overlaps with each other. Better yet what do you think the young demographic and women would rather watch in order of preference if given multiple options? Don't let Valerian be critically acclaimed and a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Atomic Blonde has that appeal to young demographic, women, and older male demographic. The Emoji Film is going to pull the family demographic.

IMO Dunkirk appeals to hardcore Nolan fans, War film fans, and skewed to an older male demographic that's primarily White. I think the other films appeal to a much wider audience tbh.

I don't think it even makes 100 million domestically. I remember when the projections were as high as 60 million for the weekend, and I could see a mile away the type of film it was, it's story, the marketing, and the month it was launching full of competition that it was gonna be disappointment.

Mark my words, that's what the headlines are going to read after it's opening weekend, about it's lackluster performance at the box office, at least domestically. I have no idea how well it will perform internationally, but I suspect it should do well in European markets.

The first week of August opens with The Dark Tower. Dunkirk is in trouble.

Interstellar was a EPIC SCIENCE FICTION SPACE film that starrted an ensemble cast of Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, etc... and it opened in NOVEMBER, not in a jam packed summer blockbuster month full of releases.

No idea why people keep comparing the film and it's release to other of Nolan's films without accounting for all the different variables.

I think Dunkirk will probably be an awards contender and it should've launched in November among all the buzz. I think it's prospects of having long legs would've been greater in the fall.

You keep pointing to other films that are gonna bomb, but have you considered for a moment that it could be Dunkirk that bombs? LOL Nolan was paid 20 million along with 20 percent of the gross. I'm pretty certain the budget of the film is closer to the 200 million mark than it is the 100 million mark.

People who don't normally watch "Oscar fare" are more programmed to watch these films in the Fall. Awards season buzz would've been much more hyped for the release.

You don't get it, it's more big budget blockbuster films in the theater that will take away from it's potential audience.

Reasonable response that I agree with. At worst, the movie tanks but Nolan is gracious Warner Brothers let him do his passion project, and next movie WB steers him to a do a more appealing high concept blockbuster with big stars that's guaranteed to bring box office returns.

Also the difference between Dunkirk and Mad Max Fury Road is Mad Max Fury Road had Charlize Theron and other women. Dunkirk is a complete sausage fest.

Ok, the bolded is a good point due to the ramping up of all the big blockbusters in the fall. I don't know. Perhaps they should've did a limited release for awards qualifications this year and launched it at the beginning of the year in January or February.

I'm pretty confident Dunkirk isn't a bad film. In fact, I'm confident it'll have good, if not great reviews. I don't think it's going to bomb either, only that it's going to have a very disappointing performance relative to the production and print and advertising budget and it's overall expectation.

I just don't think Dunkirk is a very appealing bid budget blockbuster film to a mass American audience regardless if it's great and it's made by Nolan. So maybe there was a never good time for it open here.

Avatar bet, The Dark Tower makes more than 10 mil opening weekend? :p

Been saving this. I look forward to the next couple of weeks to see how Dunkirk plays out.

Prompto

Banned
Has Nolan ever hinted he's thought about Inception 2? Because yeah that would be massive at the Box Office

Though I feel like a sequel wouldn't really work with that ending
This is the only quote I could find about a sequel from him:
I always imagined Inception to be a world where a lot of other stories could take place. At the moment, the only direction we’re channeling that is by developing a videogame set in the world.

I guess that game never got off the ground :/

Socivol

Black films have been doing this for years. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody who has kept up. Even last year's critically panned When the Bough Breaks that starred Morris Chestnut and Regina Hall made 30 million domestically off a 10 million production budget.
Yup! Think Like A Man did crazy good too as well as Get Out. Black people want well written films that have black stars. There were some lines in Girls Trip that my friends have actually said word for word which made it not only hilarious but relatable.

What's the foreign box office looking like for Valerian? The Fifth Element was a dud in the US but made something like 3/4 of its gross from overseas markets.

Been saving this. I look forward to the next couple of weeks to see how Dunkirk plays out.

I was completely wrong. I thought Dunkirk's subject matter and marketing wouldn't resonate with American audiences regardless of Nolan's brand.

Yeah, I was wrong.

I WILL NEVER BET AGAINST OUR LORD AND SAVIOR NOLAN AGAIN.

I hope you all can forgive me for forsaking him.

DMczaf

I was completely wrong. I thought Dunkirk's subject matter and marketing wouldn't resonate with American audiences regardless of Nolan's brand.

Yeah, I was wrong.

You are forgiven.

Nolan shall bless you with a nice vest and tea

Ashhong

Why? This is stupid. Everybody can be off on their predictions, even swiss and BGE.

Just not, you know, me.

He was very, VERY adamant. I am also never wrong.
Because I rarely make predictions

Yeah, I was wrong.

<3

Next time believe in the Nolan hype! His WOM is too good at this point

You sure about that?

ZTtLttt.png

Studio expected $500 mil minimum. Deadline already called it a bomb, it's a $100mil loss officially, and Hollywood Reporter says they're slowing down on the universe while doubling down on the stars because they think if Cruise wasn't there, it'd have been "a bigger flop"

It's a bomb

zero_suit

Very impressive showing from Dunkirk.

I'm disappointed at the Apes drop, but at least WW keeps trucking. $400M is so close now.

mreddie

Studio expected $500 mil minimum. Deadline already called it a bomb, it's a $100mil loss officially, and Hollywood Reporter says they're slowing down on the universe while doubling down on the stars because they think if Cruise wasn't there, it'd have been "a bigger flop"

It's a bomb

So it is a flop, what about Pirates?

Well I'll be. This movie has destroyed even the most lofty expectation anyone could've dreamed about.

WW really exceeded everyone's expectations, especially mine since I thought the movie was just okay, but definitely the best DCEU movie to date. I guess it shows the thirstiness for good DCEU movies, female led CBM, or both.

That's... not.. good, is it?

Nope. SPE is awful.

Since the start of 2015, the MCU (including Homecoming) has made about $20M less than all of Paramount domestically.

If Mother!, Suburbicon, and Daddy's Home 2 can't cumulatively defeat Thor Ragnarok domestically, Marvel Studios will be a bigger domestic studio from 2015-2017 than Paramount.

Lol. Well at least they get some kind of participation from the 2019 Indy movie that's bound to be a BO hit.

In all seriousness, that's probably why other studios are so reluctant to sell movie rights back to Marvel. Paramount had rights to Thor, Cap, Ironman, and Avengers IIRC. They made good money by selling existing and future distribution rights at the time, but that payment is over, and Marvel has only gotten bigger since then.

Christopher Nolan is the only movie star on the planet.
It's funny since my other favorite directors each have a film that's bombing and stomping everyone's ass (WW and Valerian), but Nolan *always* delivers.

When I see one of his films I expect greatness at this point. Only director close to his consistency is JJ Abrams.

Get Out.

If they still haven't figured out why it worked...

I'm sure they had the wrong take away from that movie.

Escape

A young man in Harvard goes to visit his girlfriend's family, and things go south.
Starring Jennfier Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Kendell Jenner. Budget - $185m

NeoGAF raves "It's got a bunch of megastars, guaranteed to do well because people go to movies to see the stars not the movie itself!"
EW - "This is such a fresh movie idea, never done before, wow!"
Variety - "This is peak Jennifer Lawrence right here, she's in her element! Kendell is amazing too! This is real hollywood!"

Since Kswiss mentioned Baby Driver being in top 10 grosser for Sony, here are the movies that are currently in line for Baby Driver before it achieves that success.

Passengers - $100,014,699
This is the End - $101,470,202
The Equalizer - $101,530,738
Captain Phillips - $107,100,855

So I assume Kswiss expected at minimum for Baby Driver to end with $108 million LTD.

The rest of the Top 10 is as follow (2013-2017)

Spider-Man Homecoming (Still in cinema) - $251,711,581
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $202,853,933
Specter - $200,074,609
22 Jump Street - $191,719,337
Hotel Transylvania 2 - $169,700,110
American Hustle - $150,117,807
Grown Ups 2 - $133,668,525
Ghosterbusters - $128,350,574
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - $119,793,567
The Angry Birds Movie - $107,509,366

Slayven

Having a studio that produced 7 films potentialy outgross the entire 3 year output of one of the "big 6" isn't a good look.

Hell, Star Wars might be ahead domestically in almost that same timeframe by the end of January 2018. So the domestic total of 3 films could potentially beat out all of Paramount over the previous 37 months.

I said goddamn, Paramount should just give marvel the rights to everything they own

I'm sure they had the wrong take away from that movie.

Escape

A young man in Harvard goes to visit his girlfriend's family, and things go south.

Starring Jennfier Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Kendell Jenner

If that isn't on DVD in the next 18 months, i will be shocked

So it is a flop, what about Pirates?

Didn't do well domestic, but having success internationally. Up in the air on if international performance will be enough to make them want to do one more film, because they're definitely surprised by how much people didn't want any more of this in the US.

I would stay far the fuck away from a Jennifer Lawrence movie co-starring Bradley Cooper OR Chris Pratt at this point but all three together oh no

Top Bottom