• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm sure they had the wrong take away from that movie.

Escape

A young man in Harvard goes to visit his girlfriend's family, and things go south.
Starring Jennfier Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Kendell Jenner. Budget - $185m

NeoGAF raves "It's got a bunch of megastars, guaranteed to do well because people go to movies to see the stars not the movie itself!"
EW - "This is such a fresh movie idea, never done before, wow!"
Variety - "This is peak Jennifer Lawrence right here, she's in her element! Kendell is amazing too! This is real hollywood!"
You can already sniff that Oscar nom for David O. Russell.

kswiston

Since Kswiss mentioned Baby Driver being in top 10 grosser for Sony, here are the movies that are currently in line for Baby Driver before it achieves that success.

Passengers - $100,014,699
This is the End - $101,470,202
The Equalizer - $101,530,738
Captain Phillips - $107,100,855

So I assume Kswiss expected at minimum for Baby Driver to end with $108 million LTD.

The rest of the Top 10 is as follow (2013-2017)

Spider-Man Homecoming (Still in cinema) - $251,711,581
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $202,853,933
Specter - $200,074,609
22 Jump Street - $191,719,337
Hotel Transylvania 2 - $169,700,110
American Hustle - $150,117,807
Grown Ups 2 - $133,668,525
Ghosterbusters - $128,350,574
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - $119,793,567
The Angry Birds Movie - $107,509,366

I am confident that it will clear everything prior to Captain Phillips. That and Angry Birds are still iffy.

Escape

A young man in Harvard goes to visit his girlfriend's family, and things go south.
Starring Jennfier Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Kendell Jenner. Budget - $185m

NeoGAF raves "It's got a bunch of megastars, guaranteed to do well because people go to movies to see the stars not the movie itself!"
Variety - "This is peak Jennifer Lawrence right here, she's in her element! Kendell is amazing too! This is real hollywood!"

Add Cara Delevingne and now we're talking classic

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Escape

Oh my god.

Slayven

No and no.

There is no Dark Universe.

It's deader than a mummy.

Sorry bro, they got a logo

landscape-1495719328-dark-universe-logo.jpg

You get a logo, you got to go in

kswiston

I think that it is worth pointing out that Paramount didn't sell Disney back the rights to Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and the Avengers. They sold the distribution rights to the films that had already been released (plus Avengers and IM3 I think). Marvel Studios already had the movie rights to the characters themselves. When Disney bought Marvel, and newly announced films were always going to go through them.

Slayven

I think that it is worth pointing out that Paramount didn't sell Disney back the rights to Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and the Avengers. They sold the distribution rights to the films that had already been released (plus Avengers and IM3 I think). Marvel Studios already had the movie rights to the characters themselves. When Disney bought Marvel, and newly announced films were always going to go through them.
Marvel got be top 5 for return on investment. All these dot.com companies getting brought for billions but never posting a profit.
Cyborg tho.

That hurt my heart, not as much as Marvel tricking me into a Carol Danvers movie by having skrulls. Marvel why you fucking with me

Toa TAK

Banned
If they make a good story and character in Carol, I will be the first one to sing the praises of marvel. I have no problem admitting I am wrong.
Good man.

But that's like, forever from now. Right now I got Thor and Black Panther on the slate, MCU-wise.

Slayven

Good man.

But that's like, forever from now. Right now I got Thor and Black Panther on the slate, MCU-wise.

Thor has no right looking so good. Black Panther always looks good, so they just had to keep from fucking up. Marvel really changed the game. No more black leather and "Grounding"

Girls Trip shows there's a market underserved demographically. It's why folks slept on Get Out until it released, why Wonder Woman is killing it now, and why Black Panther will kill it in Feb if it's good. Rough Night on the other hand, A) didn't look good and B) covered a demo that's given more options.

Honestly, I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't pulled together more starring vehicles aimed at a Latino audience, given their growing demographic.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Still not really convinced that "mainstream" America will show up for Black Panther. I'm a cynic though and I'd obviously love to be proven wrong here.

Still not really convinced that "mainstream" America will show up for Black Panther. I'm a cynic though and I'd obviously love to be proven wrong here.

Just what I was going to say. I want to be proven wrong (and god knows, I was wrong with WW and I'm happy for that) but man, I dunno.

BlazinAm

Girls Trip shows there's a market underserved demographically. It's why folks slept on Get Out until it released, why Wonder Woman is killing it now, and why Black Panther will kill it in Feb if it's good. Rough Night on the other hand, A) didn't look good and B) covered a demo that's given more options.

Honestly, I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't pulled together more starring vehicles aimed at a Latino audience, given their growing demographic.

Plus all the big Black sitcoms are on break for the summer and they hit the same demo as Girls Trip.

I think they're still cagey because 'Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones' didn't curtail that franchise's slump.

The Girls Trip market has been proven time and time again. It's opening box office gross shouldn't be a surprise if you've kept up with Black film grosses over the decade.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Girls Trip shows there's a market underserved demographically. Rough Night on the other hand, A) didn't look good and B) covered a demo that's given more options.

It's why folks slept on Get Out until it released, why Wonder Woman is killing it now, and why Black Panther will kill it in Feb if it's good.

While I completely agree with what you're saying.

Get Out was advertised like a B horror flick, giving no indication of what it was. Reviews came out and excitement spiked. WoM took it by the balls and never let go.

Boke1879

I don't see how we're casting doubt on BP. He was definitely one of the highlights of Civil War and you have the Marvel marketing machine behind him.

Is there anything that releases around Feb that would take away thunder? The movie looks dope. People showed up for Wonder Woman. I think people will do the same here.

Top Bottom