• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Trends To Ever Catch On

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCfiner

Diprosalic said:
i don't know why it bugs me but people always say "my iphone" or "my mac" and i hate that.

every other phone or pc is just "phone" and "pc". i just don't know why they have to tell me which brand they got.

oh brother. get over it.

do you get mad if someone says "my Honda" instead of "my car"?

Before people think I'm mad because people call everything iProduct: I'm not. I was just following up on what Diprosalic said.

LCfiner said:
oh brother. get over it.

No one does that.

LCfiner said:

i never heard someone say "my Honda" when it wasn't important that his car is in fact a Honda.

i never heard someone say "i left my wallet in my Honda" for example. i mean i do have an iphone myself.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I don't like the trend of so many video games being shooters these days. I'd love it if I were a shooter fan but they just never really caught on with me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't know if it's a 'trend' but political statements on social networking platforms. Especially ignorant political statements (which most of the time they are) that are purposefully used to insight rage or display a radical point of view.

It's only going to get worse as the US Presidential election nears. My 'friends' list is going to get pretty thin in the coming year.

TheExodu5

Banned
Diprosalic said:
i don't know why it bugs me but people always say "my iphone" or "my mac" and i hate that.

every other phone or pc is just "phone" and "pc". i just don't know why they have to tell me which brand they got.

Does it bother you that people say "my DS" or "my PSP" instead of "my portable gaming system"?

iPhone and Mac are pretty unique in the world of phones, and computers, respectively. People will also say "my Blackberry" or "my Android phone".

GrapeApes

EmmanuelMunoz said:
pants1.jpg
I hate false advertising as well. Nothing juicy about that ass. Looks dehydrated if anything.

TommyT

Feathers in hair. Can't wait until I go hunting next time and give some freshly plucked off a turkey that have all kinds of mites or some shit and sell them for like $10 a pop.

feathers_vain2.jpg

RbBrdMan said:
I don't know if it's a 'trend' but political statements on social networking platforms. Especially ignorant political statements (which most of the time they are) that are purposefully used to insight rage or display a radical point of view.

It's only going to get worse as the US Presidential election nears. My 'friends' list is going to get pretty thin in the coming year.
You can ignore people too. Far more diplomatic.

Alx

TheExodu5 said:
iPhone and Mac are pretty unique in the world of phones, and computers, respectively.

Except that they're not. There are plenty of other smartphones and PC around that do exactly the same thing...
I used to say "my Blackberry" in a specific context, when it was one of the only device that could handle e-mails. Now that any phone can do it, it's always "my phone".

Oh and one of the trends I hate : those stupid troll faces and their variations... not only are they ugly, but most of the time they just say "I don't know how to tell a joke so I took a template with a big label on it". It's like a laugh track for pictures.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alx said:
Except that they're not. There are plenty of other smartphones and PC around...
I used to say "my Blackberry" in a specific context, when it was one of the only device that could handle e-mails. Now that any phone can do it, it's always "my phone".

Oh and one of the trends I hate : those stupid troll faces and their variations... not only are they ugly, but most of the time they just say "I don't know how to tell a joke so I took a template with a big label on it". It's like a laugh track for pictures.
They're unique platforms with unique software. Just like gaming systems are unique platforms with unique software.

Dorrin

Okay I'm noticing a new one now, Mohawks on kids everywhere. Not kids trying to be different as a teen but like fucking 3 year olds. WHY? What is the purpose, you just woke up one day and on the way to his haircut think.. you know what would be a cool a fucking mohawk on my three year old, looks great with his cookie monster shirt... wtf. So many of these when our family was on vacation. I told my wife maybe we should dress our 7,5 and 3 year olds up in black leather and sawed-off hip holstered shotguns to get them ahead of the game..

There are quite a few salty people in here HAAH! I figured people would list one or two things, but there are people who came prepared with lists...

Loxley

Those of you saying "religion" and "Apple" really need to reach outside of the box more.

Anyway, my fellow 90's kids:

TommyT

Loxley said:
Those of you saying "religion" and "Apple" really need to reach outside of the box more.

Anyway, my fellow 90's kids:

[/URL]

You got something against Yo-Yo's or just that one?!

D.Lo

Souldriver said:
It's even worse.

Other devices are named after iProducts as well. My parents always refer to my mp3-player as an iPod, even though it isn't one. In the beginning I casually corrected them on this, but I've given up on that. Every mp3 player is an iPod, every tablet is an iPad...
Statistically almost every tablet is an iPad...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
byropoint said:
Dubstep, I just don't get it, it's like a constant attack of sound on your ears, a sonic equivalent of rape
Yeah, I really don't understand it. Its like if you took cheap techno (or sometimes classical) and then added a layer of someone dragging a rake over the strings of a piano while someone else had fun discovering the effects of the knobs and sliders on their synthesizer for the first time.

Stairs

Banned
i hate those kindle things amazon is selling...hello get your head out of a screen for awhile and read a friggin book for a change lol.. i feel like were gettin dumber everyday

RoH

So I've been following this for a day or so, most of you people are a disgrace. yOu really hate like everything not worth hating! I'm just waiting for the "I hate how these people drink water, and here's why" post.

Stairs said:
i hate those kindle things amazon is selling...hello get your head out of a screen for awhile and read a friggin book for a change lol.. i feel like were gettin dumber everyday
I'm very much a book>e-book person, but what?

Can you really blame people for wanting to keep a collection of books on a much smaller, more manageable format? I'm sure it's great for reading in places with less than agreeable lighting as well. How does reading a book on a screen make us any more "dumber" than reading the same book in print?

edit:
RoH said:
So I've been following this for a day or so, most of you people are a disgrace. yOu really hate like everything not worth hating! I'm just waiting for the "I hate how these people drink water, and here's why" post.
You're probably one of those people that liked those dumb eraser tops, aren't you?!

riYaz.jpg

RoH

Typographenia said:
I'm very much a book>e-book person, but what?

Can you really blame people for wanting to keep a collection of books on a much smaller, more manageable format? I'm sure it's great for reading in places with less than agreeable lighting as well. How does reading a book on a screen make us any more "dumber" than reading the same book in print?

edit:

You're probably one of those people that liked those dumb eraser tops, aren't you?!

riYaz.jpg

Pencils yes, i used them as long as they worked. Function over form.

ConvenientBox said:
Yoga, and people talking about yoga.

The "yoga fad" is annoying, especially because it is often bastardized, and yoga was never really about exercise so much as general physical health. But it is an extremely useful habit to pick up. It stresses and loosens the joints and tendons, encouraging flexibility (good thing) and corrects a person's posture, among other things. Once your posture is corrected, breathing becomes more relaxed and movement becomes more fluid and less strained. A person is also less likely to develop arthritis.

And as for Dubstep, some of it is good, but usually that's the stuff that's less "by the numbers", ime. I think the problem is just it has become so ubiquitous. Uninspired "brostep" does get old very quickly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
umop_3pisdn said:
And as for Dubstep, some of it is good, but usually that's the stuff that's less "by the numbers", ime. I think the problem is just it has become so ubiquitous. Uninspired "brostep" does get old very quickly.
Yeah there are a few very specific tracks that I found back when it was first recommended to me, but the majority of it had me going "this is popular?"

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah there are a few very specific tracks that I found back when it was first recommended to me, but the majority of it had me going "this is popular?"

Yeah, I tend to agree. It's not really my genre, I'm not motivated to listen to it very often, but I do have some appreciation for it. For example, this is good to me, or really most of Joker's stuff, but I hardly go any further than that.

TommyT

Stealth Editor said:
Looks hot to me. Why the hate?

Where did this fad start? Why are these people putting something in their hair that has no functionality?

Of course the looks are subjective, and I see no reason why people are putting these in their hair other than because "it's cool". Thus, a stupid trend.

Dorrin said:
Okay I'm noticing a new one now, Mohawks on kids everywhere. Not kids trying to be different as a teen but like fucking 3 year olds. WHY? What is the purpose, you just woke up one day and on the way to his haircut think.. you know what would be a cool a fucking mohawk on my three year old, looks great with his cookie monster shirt... wtf. So many of these when our family was on vacation. I told my wife maybe we should dress our 7,5 and 3 year olds up in black leather and sawed-off hip holstered shotguns to get them ahead of the game..

Noticed that too! Darn kids better get a proper haircut! Can't believe im saying that.

Stairs said:

Lazier maybe. But dumber? Why is it dumber to read from digital media than paper?

sarcoa

Stairs said:
...do you know what a Kindle does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom