• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Trends To Ever Catch On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chef Cat said:
I know I was beaten, but fake 'cute NeRd omg!11!<3" eyeglasses...
I've got horrible eyesight, and I have semi-large glasses, and everyone asks me where I got them so they can get a pair...
Err you should be living it up, at every other point in history having big ass nerd glasses were a ticket to mockery

Jasoco

Banned
All you idiots saying Apple.

Seriously. Do you want me to come in here and say Windows? Or Linux? Jusus Christ you morons need to shut the fuck up because we can say the same thing about your operating system of choice.

Fuck off.

Island

Feather earrings... every girl seems to be wearing them, usually just one... seems kinda of silly... but I think most fashion is silly...

2cvJx.jpg

The M.O.B

Jasoco said:

Seriously. Do you want me to come in here and say Windows? Or Linux? Jusus Christ you morons need to shut the fuck up because we can say the same thing about your operating system of choice.

Fuck off.

Typical Apple fanboy is mad.
jk jk :p

Those giant sunglasses women wear. Especially indoors.

Commercials mimicking the Old Spice ads without really "getting it".

Autotune.

Edit: Sure it's been said, but 3D movies.

Amir0x

Banned
twitter

Jasoco said:

Fuck off.

Instead of going around insulting people who write certain things, which is only going to get you banned if you do again, follow up on your threat. List Windows! List Linux!

It's just words. Stop being such an Apple fanboy that shit like this can lead you to rage.

So, to finish this off, FUCK Apple. They're a horrific company that uses their position of power to take advantage of consumers wholesale because most are either too fucking religiously addicted to their SLEEK.HIP.COOL devices to actually look beyond their products at the vast array of superior options on the market.

NoRéN

Chuck Norris said:
Err you should be living it up, at every other point in history having big ass nerd glasses were a ticket to mockery
I can't remember the last time I went to a bar and someone didn't ask me if they could try on my glasses because "they're cool".
"yeah, I mean, I can't see without them but whatever."

RoboShmup

Banned
Tkawsome said:
Commercials mimicking the Old Spice ads without really "getting it".
Oh man, this. So many climbing on the bandwagon and sucking out any of the humor.

Also, I hate any hate based on fashion trends. I don't care for hipsters and I don't care for people being disgusted by hipsters, but please just shut up, let some of the fashion bleed into our culture, and let me wear my goddamn mustache in peace.

NinjaBoiX

Dave Inc. said:
What a weird thing to hate. That's a pretty classic shoe style that's been around forever, not exactly a trend.

Also, I don't think people understand the difference between silly "super-skinny" jeans and regular old skinny or slim-fit jeans.

This is a skinny jean, it looks very good:
RPKVP.jpg
These jeans look pretty cool, more straight leg than skinny. The painted on denim leggings though? Horrendous. Looks like you've tried to squeeze into your little sisters jeans. Shit looks whack.

NoRéN said:
I can't remember the last time I went to a bar and someone didn't ask me if they could try on my glasses because "they're cool".
"yeah, I mean, I can't see without them but whatever."
I hate when people ask to try on my glasses. It's not a god damn toy, I need my glasses to see!

NinjaBoiX

Jasoco said:

Fuck off.
Woah dude, chill. Apple seems like a fair target to me. They are a huge success (in the public eye), and have irrittating adverts, "If you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone.", I mean come on. It's a forum, you'll have to get used to oppossing comments, and as Amirox said, screaming "Fuck Off" because someone disagrees with you as a surefire way to get hit with the ban hammer.

LProtag

I will wear my skinny jeans proudly. Levi 511's are comfortable as hell.

Not to mention that as a really small guy, any jeans that aren't skinny just look like they're way too big for me and are super baggy.

Souldriver said:
Running as in actual running/jogging?

Color me surprised. I would think that good running shoes need a lot more buffer, elasticity and resiliency to protect the feet than what those weird glove-shoes provide.
actually the best shoes for you at all times have little to no soles and no ankle support. as close to barefoot as possible is best.

Amir0x said:
So, to finish this off, FUCK Apple. They're a horrific company that uses their position of power to take advantage of consumers wholesale because most are either too fucking religiously addicted to their SLEEK.HIP.COOL devices to actually look beyond their products at the vast array of superior options on the market.

So much this. All of the computers at my High-School were Mac's, horrible, slow, ugly, apple products. Seriously, Lrn2RightClick. Besides the latest Apple OS's are just copies of mainstream linux kernels that have been horribly configured to fit apple's "meh" hardware.

Dan Yo

Banned
Jasoco said:

Fuck off.
I use an Apple computer and even I'm annoyed by the Apple fans. Sounds like you're one of them.

Dan Yo said:
I use an Apple computer and even I'm annoyed by the Apple fans. Sounds like you're one of them.
This reminds me, I hate the trend of ridiculous apple bashing. Same thing applies to people who have an irrational hate of windows or Linux or iOS or android.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Jasoco said:

Fuck off.
lolwned

Lerozz

Jasoco said:

Fuck off.

Being an iPhone owner myself and liking Macintosh computers, I can still understand that people get pissed off by certain groups of Apple fanboys overacting and making it the uber brand above everything else.

Persona7

Banned
Apple products.

Extremely tacky design,built with low quality parts and the cherry on top of the shit sundae? The UIs are poorly designed.

I know a guy who went through 6 ipods and 3 iphones in the past 4 years and he keeps buying them because everyone else has one.

Yoshiya

Going to have to disagree on skinny jeans. Skinny >>>>>> baggy. I'd much rather skinny jeans be in fashion.

Agree on pooped collars and crocs though. Ugh.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
People hating on skinny jeans clearly can't wear them, merely have no style, or think skinny means nut hugging skin tight.
Are you trying to be obtuse and argue semantics?

When people bash skinny jeans they are talking about the extreme.

Persona7 said:
Apple products.

Extremely tacky design,built with low quality parts and the cherry on top of the shit sundae? The UIs are poorly designed.

I know a guy who went through 6 ipods and 3 iphones in the past 4 years and he keeps buying them because everyone else has one.

maybe he should take better care of his stuff?

Yoshiya

DeathNote said:
When people bash skinny jeans they are talking about the extreme.
Skinny skinny jeans can look nice if you have the legs to pull them off. Overly loose clothing, however, always looks like the wearer is trying to hide something or just has terrible taste.

I also think wearing track pants out of context is horrendous, but it isn't exactly a trend.

NinjaBoiX

Persona7 said:
Apple products.

OK, this has to be trolling. Say what you like about Apple, but "extremely tacky design"? Are you for real? Regardless what you think of the company, their designs are not tacky. That would imply a poor quality finish, and ill-thought out design. Do you honestly think that applies to iPod/Pad/Phone?

MC Safety

In video games, especially console games: Ship it now, patch it at some later date.

In fashion: The aforementioned huge pants / pants around the knees and underwear exposed "style."

Language: The use of the phrase "hating on." You hate something. The "on" is superfluous and saying otherwise or defending this idiotic phrase makes you sound even more stupid.

In life: Oh, I can't possibly put my phone down during dinner/a movie/whatever.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
the hair style of dying it black then covering your eyes.

Alucrid said:
People hating on skinny jeans clearly can't wear them, merely have no style, or think skinny means nut hugging skin tight.

This. Skinny jeans are classy. I'd rather wear a skinny jeans than a jeans that "hangs" over my shoes. Looks ridiculous actually.

Trends: using memes in real life.

Jasoco said:

Fuck off.

I was writing out an essay here. However, i've come to the conclusion.

Fuck Apple.

Trent Strong said:

Consider this, both of those theories has been debunked but the mainstream media doesn't want you to know. Therefore they continue to feed people what is false because most of them are being sponsored by corporations that are strongly rooted in that belief. It's like a religious organization sponsoring a channel and having them broadcast their beliefs.

Monocle said:
Woo-iie! Woo-iie! Wackjob alert!

It's a fucking OPINION thread. These are things i think has become a trend (well you can say that it ties into journalism as a whole)

Soru said:
I was writing out an essay here. However, i've come to the conclusion.

Fuck Apple.

Indeed, lol. Overpriced mediocre handsets and computers.(Not bashing Apple btw, it's just that i have never seen a company charge so much for hardware that are no better than those currently on the market. Yet people flock to by them, *Sighs*)

TheExodu5

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
21wDhqkpAgL.jpg

Lately these "glasses" are EVERYWHERE

Are those glasses people got out of a cereal box? Or maybe RealD glasses they stole from the theater? I sincerely hope those don't cost more than $5.

Davey Cakes

TheExodu5 said:
No way. High heels with a nice open toe can be really hot. Make them strappy for added hotness.

Otherwise, leather boots can be pretty hot as well.
I'm not a big fan of the open toe, but my girlfriend does where high-heeled boots on occasion and I admit they look quite nice. I think my main issue is with heels that are just too high. They may look alright when the woman is standing still but the struggle to move around is probably the most unappealing part. I agree that flats can look ugly and are bad when they don't cover toe cracks and whatnot, but at least a woman's mobility doesn't come into question with them.

There are worse footwear offenders, though. Uggs and $2 flip flops come to mind.

Another one of my most hated fashion trends has already appeared in this thread. Sagging pants/jeans that show off your boxers. I can't believe anyone finds this acceptable. Overly baggy pants already look bad, but introduce the boxers into the mix and the look becomes flat out obnoxious. What's most horrible is that they actually make pants with boxers sewn on to achieve this look. That's worse than pre-torn jeans.

Ploid 3.0

Mickey Avalon said:
Pawn-Stars-Season-3-Episode-3.jpg

It seems like every channel nowadays has a show about the zany antics of pawn shop owners and patrons. I miss the days where the history channel would run programming about actual history

I love pawn stars, and the information behind the items on the show almost always pertains to history.

People in this thread seem old or don't like things that are different. It seem like most of this stuff posted really bothers them.

Also, like Conan, I love tight jeans on girls. When dudes wear them I only laugh to myself, it don't bother me. And I'm talking about the extreme skinny can't breathe jeans on dudes.

i don't know why it bugs me but people always say "my iphone" or "my mac" and i hate that.

every other phone or pc is just "phone" and "pc". i just don't know why they have to tell me which brand they got.

Diprosalic said:
i don't know why it bugs me but people always say "my iphone" or "my mac" and i hate that.

every other phone or pc is just "phone" and "pc". i just don't know why they have to tell me which brand they got.
It's even worse.

Other devices are named after iProducts as well. My parents always refer to my mp3-player as an iPod, even though it isn't one. In the beginning I casually corrected them on this, but I've given up on that. Every mp3 player is an iPod, every tablet is an iPad...

Souldriver said:
It's even worse.

Other devices are named after iProducts as well. My parents always refer to my mp3-player as an iPod, even though it isn't one. In the beginning I casually corrected them on this, but I've given up on that. Every mp3 player is an iPod, every tablet is an iPad...
Every facial tissue is a Kleenex!

Every flying disc is a Frisbee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom