• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would anyone else want a Sonic 2006 remake?

Susurrus

Like, despite the game being completely unfinished and a bit of the weird story, it was otherwise fun to play when it wasn't bugging out.

I think if they took the game, finished it/killed the bugs, and I guess at this point upres it, I'd definitely grab it.

I know there was a PC fan version that got C&D'd, but obviously that didn't pan out (that I know of?).

Does anyone else feel the same or I'm way off base with this?

I know it was rushed to release and had issues there, but I still to this day don't understand why they didn't patch the fuck out of it at least, then maybe it could have been a good product.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tried to get into sonic but never could really no where to go but roll in those games I would rally behind a sonic open world game.

Aldynes

I'm gonna be honest with you OP, the only salvageable things in Sonic 06 are the OST and the MEMES.

The whole game is cursed, besides i do believe Sonic Adventures titles are kind of jank, they are nostalgia trip that's for sure, the OST are bangers, gameplay is very weird you better off not pressing any buttons or directions when spin dashing in the set pieces or else you derail and die, it's clunky.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No Way Smile GIF by Get Out Movie

Saber

Gold Member
Seriously can't believe at this time someone would want to revive this awful take.

Sonic is not in a good position to waste resources in a piece of garbage, broken game.

Saber

Gold Member
I realize it was broken, which is why I said they need to fix it.

Broken is only a part of problem. What about level design? Story? Gameplay choices? Running sections?

Why would they waste money fixing a game that in no way can be a sucess? It's better just let this game die, for the sake of Sonic games in general.

Last edited:
Usually when someone asks "would someone else...." whatever, the answer is, "of course, someone would". But, not this time. OP, you are literally the only one who wants this.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I would only want it’s levels to be remastered and ported to sonic generations as DLC.

SonicJams

Yeah, Silver and Shadow's stories were amazing. So were the level set pieces and themes.

But I would want the following changes:
- Movement and level design to be refined to suit actual slopes and momentum.
- Less repetition in combat
- Sonic's story to be less focused on Elyse.
- 2 zones per level.
- Tail's attack to not be rings. Who was the genius that thought of that?

Obviously its not worth Remaking though, from a business point of view. Theyre better off moving on and making something new.

Last edited:

baphomet

There's is literally nothing about the game that would be remotely good no matter how much time was spent trying to fix it.

Dr. Suchong

My mate downloaded the demo on 360.
After roughly 3 minutes of play the room fell deadly silent.
It was a tangible, needle scratch/Abrupt stop of a Honky tonk piano in a saloon type moment.
Panic gripped me as I desperately grasped at something positive to say, or at least something conciliatory to lighten an atmosphere so sombre we might as well of been at a funeral.
Oh yes, please sprinkle some 4k pubes on that shit sandwich.. *Sarcasm*

MeteorVII

I’d love to see *PARTS of it remade or reintegrated into like a Sonic Adventure 3 or something, but overall? Hell no.

Like, despite the game being completely unfinished and a bit of the weird story, it was otherwise fun to play when it wasn't bugging out.

I think if they took the game, finished it/killed the bugs, and I guess at this point upres it, I'd definitely grab it.

I know there was a PC fan version that got C&D'd, but obviously that didn't pan out (that I know of?).

Does anyone else feel the same or I'm way off base with this?

I know it was rushed to release and had issues there, but I still to this day don't understand why they didn't patch the fuck out of it at least, then maybe it could have been a good product.
Its a shame it was so broken and rushed out to meet the pointless 15th anniversary. Some of the Sonic levels were really nice (when they worked) I enjoyed the Kindom Valley and Radical train sections

Whitecrow

Banned
If there was a fixed version of this I would play it for sure.

But I'm not interested in SEGA wasting resources on this, I preffer a new game,

SkylineRKR

The weird thing is, I liked the demo. It wasn't more than 7/10 material but it felt okay ish. The full game I skipped but its supposed to be way worse.

Kokoloko85

Had some decent gameplay elements but ummm, Id rather they work on a remake or new Sonic Adventure.

Sonic Generations was good, Sonic Mania was awesome.
They should work with the good formulas

Last edited:

Mmnow

I'd like to play it again, so sticking it in the Xbox BC program would be welcome.

It was the big game everywhere used to sell the Xbox around me. It was probably my first game tried of that generation (either that or Lost Planet, which I still haven't actually played).

But a remake? Nah. Give me Sonic Adventure long, long before this.

Larxia

Yes. I like this game and I think the whole "it's the worst game ever" thing is exagerrated, though it obviously definitely has problems, that's for sure, but if they would rework the game to fix the bug and improve a few things, I'm sure it could be a totally decent game.

The game wasn't just a buggy mess, it just wasn't fun.

Kingdom Valley is the only salvageable thing from the game, it's like a Dark Souls crossover.

NewChoppa

Banned
I wish someone would do a documentary on the making of this game. How did things go wrong.

From what I can remember, Sonic 06 was meant to launch on PS3, 360 and the Wii, though when SEGA got the dev kits for the Wii, they realized that porting the game would be incredibly difficult due to the power differences between the consoles. At that time, the lead director for Sonic 06 decided the best bet would be to split the dev team up, with half dedicated to porting the game to the Wii, and the other half continuing to develop on the PS3/360. (The dev team responsible for porting the game to the Wii quickly realized that it'd be near impossible to get it running on the system, so they scrapped it and got to work on Sonic and The Secret Rings instead). Despite all of this, the first showings of the game (TGS 2005) were very promising, featuring stuff like dynamic time-of-day and more dynamic camera angles compared to the final product.

So, they were developing with a considerably smaller team than what they started with...then Yuji Naka left SEGA in 2006 and took even more people from the already fractured Sonic 06 dev team to create his own independent company. By E3 2006, the game was still incomplete and very unpolished, now in a worse state than what it had been back at TGS.

The dev team knew that with the workforce and hardware problems they'd been facing, they wouldn't be able to get the game out on time and in a good state, even after cutting considerable amounts of content. However, due to SEGA signing a deal with Microsoft that revolved around Sonic 06 releasing on the 360 around Holiday 2006, a delay was off the table, meaning they had to just finish as much of the game as they possibly could. The game is technically in a more finished state in its official 360 demo, but none of the positive changes made in that made their way to the final game.

Aaaand that's how we ended up with what we have now. At least the OST for the game is great.

Fbh

That the one where he kissed with the girl lol?

But anyway, why not just make a good new game instead of remaking a bad one ?. Was there anything specially good about this one ?

nkarafo

Nope. I don't care for 3D Sonic games or how they re-designed him since the Dreamcast era.

Sonic Mania was the remake of the good Sonic games i wanted. Maybe make more of these, incorporating more levels from the original trilogy that didn't make the cut.

Top Bottom