• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ?

AllenShrz

So full of shit. My Dad play's Witcher 2 maxed. I've seen it.

This looks a far sight better.

BcyLQ.png

Running real time on today's hardware.

Image Quality.

I don't know if the title is supposed to be a trick question. Would I be happy if next gen games looked like high quality FMV that no system can run in real time?

S.. Sure?

Yes, that is what I mean.

And they have to make the FMV's somehow right ? Just take the computer's they use to make these FMV's and compact them into a console ! Taaa-daa !

BcyLQ.png

Running real time on today's hardware.

Yes and it looks nowhere near as good as the FMV, you know the point of the thread? The thread asking if you wished future hardware could run games that look like the FMV in real time.

[Clark Gable];34552397 said:
Nah, SE fmvs? Low tier, now if it were Blizzards CG, than that would be something else.
Low tier? Now you're just posting lies.

QUOTE=herzogzwei1989;34552326]I'd be happy with PS2's FF12 FMV/CGI quality in realtime.[/QUOTE]
Yeah we have hardly reached that level. Only the best of the best come close.

Image Quality.

I don't know if the title is supposed to be a trick question. Would I be happy if next gen games looked like high quality FMV that no system can run in real time?

S.. Sure?

Pretty much my sentiment too.

Can't believe people say it's not good enough. Boy are they in for a disappointment.

That's great and all but I'd like next gen games to be living breathing worlds.
If I'm playing assassins creed and start a fire I'd like the city to burn. If I'm playing ME I'd like the universe NOT to be such empty place with random camps of 15 people inhabiting a planet (or you know the citadel actually being the gigantic space hotel they talk it up to be). If I'm playing GTA and RPG the fuck out of a brick wall, the brick wall splodes the fuck up. Oh and there isn't enough severing of appendages in games.

Right now games are just pretty versions of last gen games (with a few exceptions). I'd hate it if this trend were to continue.

They really aren't. I've been disappointed in the Square FMV I've seen recently. Not up to what I expect after seeing the kind of stuff done by Blizzard.

Unless the last WoW expansion had some great cg intro, nothing in Starcract 2 looked as good as XIII's cg.

Edit-That's just wrong. They looked about equall. But I don't think Sqaure is low tier, what bullshit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No. Not really. To me that doesn't look significantly better than what is available now IMO. I wouldn't be happy paying significantly more and covering development costs for software that only look slightly better. I would like a XBox to X360 generational jump preferably. If you can't visually surpass this generation, why even push the next generation consoles out then?
Er, what? The FFXIII CG kicks the best looking console games up and down the street.

They really aren't. I've been disappointed in the Square FMV I've seen recently. Not up to what I expect after seeing the kind of stuff done by Blizzard.

Is this real life ?

Do you have Eyes ?

Konachancom-592563dfinal_fantasyfinal_fantasy_xiiilightning.jpg

465988.jpg

This is low tier now ?

For some reason I don't think so. Let the East vs West bias showdown begin !

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wait, are we having the whole "rendered CG can be real-time next-gen" discussion again? Oh god. :/

This thread makes me ponder whether anyone has actually played FF XIII. Sure it's not the greatest game, but the production values of their CGI scenes is incredibly good, to suggest that next gen graphics can even approach that level of graphical fidelity AND animation that Square churns out on a god damn render farm is pretty laughable. I mean the game had CGI scenes like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJxXtjOjIo We aren't getting visuals like that.... ever.

This thread makes me ponder whether anyone has actually played FF XIII. Sure it's not the greatest game, but the production values of their CGI scenes is incredibly good, to suggest that next gen graphics can even approach that level of graphical fidelity AND animation that Square churns out on a god damn render farm is pretty laughable. I mean the game had CGI scenes like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJxXtjOjIo We aren't getting visuals like that.... ever.

And they have to make the FMV's somehow right ? Just take the computer's they use to make these FMV's and compact them into a console ! Taaa-daa !

Right ?

I think "ever" is a bit much. Besides I was asking if people would be happy with those visuals not whether or not it's possible ...

Herla

I want games to look like concept art, not FMVs. Guild Wars 2 is a good example, at least for the locations.

AllenShrz

... you know the point of the thread? The thread asking if you wished future hardware could run games that look like the FMV in real time.

I answer that question with a No in my past post.

I guess I should correct myself.

The FMV of FFXIII-2 do sometimes looks better than the Witcher 2 but yet again, only sometimes.

Already FFXIII running real time on the PS3 does look very similar to that FMV, and for a next gen system I want much more besides 1080p/60fps.

The FMV of FFXIII-2 do sometimes looks better than the Witcher 2 but yet again, only sometimes.

Already FFXIII running real time on the PS3 does look very similar to that FMV, and for a next gen system I want much more besides 1080p/60fps.

Well these smply are not true.

FFXIV_FMV_04.jpg

final-fantasy-13-2-1.jpg

XIII-2_lightning_fmv.jpg

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ? In Real time ? As in, these FMV scenes would be in-game actually happening as you play graphics.

I would. Square Enix makes beautiful FMV's and I would absolutely be pumped if next-gen Final Fantasy's were rendered in real time this beautifully.

Good grief. I can feel the angst seeping from those screenshots. But yes, they look nice.

ThisCantBeReal.jpg

Are you a troll ? Is there Hidden Camera's here ? What is this ? Do your eyes work ?

StuBurns

Banned
I kind of expect gaming to keep going in that direction, and I don't think that's bad. It always feels like too many games come out a year, if the major publishers released fewer, and made a bigger deal of each release, I'd be happy with that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zelda Wii U gifs are like the Nintendo fan's Killzone gifs.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
that's no fair, most of the hawken guys were doing project offset, far from average.

No matter where they came from, it would still be a great example of how much can be done with a tiny budget.
The Assassin's Creed series seems to have convinced a lot of people that no one can compete unless they have hundreds of people on their team.

benzy

FFXIII-Blog-1.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How about if this is what GTA6 looks like?
MMDfr.jpg
IF any game came out like this today, i would give it zero out of ten for graphics.
Those are some of the worst textures ive ever seen.

This is 2012, Normal maps, Parallax Oc and Displacement maps should be standard...every game without them should be banned immediately.

More on topic, am I the only one who doesnt really like the look of Squares FMVs?
Poly count is only half the fight.
They dont really do anything for me

Cheska

Honestly, that WiiU Zelda demo is jaw dropping IMO. I definitely wouldn't have a problem if games looked like that next gen. It's not like I can't go back and play previous gen games.

Anteater

If you compare model to model, they will of course look really close, the last of us's footage already look really good, it's like comparing Silent Hill 2's models to dragon age 2, SH2 still look a generation ahead of DA2.

If you watch the 1080p cutscenes with bigger scale, we're still far off off from ffxiii's cgi, for example cutscenes involved gran pulse and the action scene of them returning to cocoon.

IF any game came out like this today, i would give it zero out of ten for graphics.
Those are some of the worst textures ive ever seen.

This is 2012, Normal maps, Parallax Oc and Displacement maps should be standard...every game without them should be banned immediately.

More on topic, am I the only one who doesnt really like the look of Squares FMVs?
Poly count is only half the fight.
They dont really do anything for me

As I pointed out, for Western developer's the only FMV's I've seen were like the Halo 3 ads. In specific that 1920 x 1080 screenshot I chose.

So if you don't like Square's, there's Bungie I guess.

Aaron

Unless the last WoW expansion had some great cg intro, nothing in Starcract 2 looked as good as XIII's cg.

Edit-That's just wrong. They looked about equall. But I don't think Sqaure is low tier, what bullshit.
I was thinking the Diablo III intro actually. Just watched some XIII CG to refresh my memory, and it's definitely better than what any game does in real time at the moment, but a good portion of that is down to the fluid animation and camera cuts, which is much harder to do in real time. The characters don't look especially detailed to me, and the effects aren't that much better than what Hard Reset does in real time.

If you compare model to model, they will of course look really close, the last of us's footage already look really good, it's like comparing Silent Hill 2's models to dragon age 2, SH2 still look a generation ahead of DA2.

If you watch the 1080p cutscenes with bigger scale, we're still far off off from ffxiii's cgi, for example cutscenes involved gran pulse and the action scene of them returning to cocoon.

Exactly, from a model comparison basis you may have an argument, but that is to neglect that a Square CG scene can have hundreds of these characters, all animating perfectly, not to mention the offentimes incredibly complex scenery, and crazy particles from explosions and metamorphosing enemies/machinery/Aeons and perfect 1080P IQ. It's the complexity of the entire package that is not realizable. Hell, it'd be very difficult just to animate a few characters as convincingly in real time as what Square achieves with their CG. The way we currently animate clothing and hair isn't anywhere near that stuff

If anyone expects CGI trailer quality from even the PS4, hooo boy are they looking to be disappointed. I expect only a tiny step over things like Witcher 2 PC or that Zelda demo. Things like better textures, better lighting, more anti-aliasing, more objects on screen, steady 30fps in higher detailed games, 60fps in games that need it... Not exactly Pixar/Avatar level shit, here. Just logical leaps in current graphical techniques.

Zelda Wii U gifs are like the Nintendo fan's Killzone gifs.

And both are graphically impressive, so I can see why they would take pride in them.

Brofist

It would be nice, but am I supposed to believe that Japanese developers who choked developing on PS3 level hardware could do that in real time next generation?

Zaptruder

Banned
They need a pipeline that can automatically turn high poly assets into ingame assets.

Whether or not that's by using the high poly assets themselves as the models, or by developing middleware that doesn't futz around with this shit.

And also a pipeline that allows for baked lighting that can morph and be modified by dynamic lighting conditions (maps bakes it at 30 minute intervals for sunlight, then somehow merges the lightmaps over the course of the day).

Basically, next-gen will be about making it easier for content creators to make their stuff.

Top Bottom