• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ?

battlefield-3-20110408004359256.jpg

tumblr_lvwtnrNmjM1qcfgllo1_500.gif

This is good enough for me.

KingJ2002

I prefer this gif myself:

zeldahdytk4j.gif

give me this.

i think animation and immersion will be the biggest things to improve upon next gen.

consistant 1080p / 60fps gameplay will be wanted... this gen showed promises of next gen.

but looking for lifelike stuff... im sure nintendo has shown with the Wii... not many care... they just want to have fun and not look like losers playing

*insert ghost recon kinect e3 demo gif*

squidyj

They need a pipeline that can automatically turn high poly assets into ingame assets.

Whether or not that's by using the high poly assets themselves as the models, or by developing middleware that doesn't futz around with this shit.

And also a pipeline that allows for baked lighting that can morph and be modified by dynamic lighting conditions (maps bakes it at 30 minute intervals for sunlight, then somehow merges the lightmaps over the course of the day).

Basically, next-gen will be about making it easier for content creators to make their stuff.

I agree with the sentiment.

I think these are the baseline features I would like to see in an engine.

Workflow
  • Abstract artists and content creators from the platform using dynamic detail systems such as virtual texturing, tessellation and, even voxels (cost of implementing voxesl would probably be prohibitive for next gen considering the way hardware is designed currently)
  • Allow for real-time interaction with assets using fully dynamic lighting, in production at the very least, including real-time global illumination.
  • What you see is what you play, be able to jump in and test a design immediately
  • Focus on high quality tools (not as clear on this area)

Do it right
  • Full HDR pipeline HDR textures, the works.
  • Properly implemented energy conserving shaders, linear space blah blah blah. Point is artists shouldn't be tweaking materials to make it look right in a certain light only to have it wind up messed up in some other lighting condition
  • High Quality DoF and Motion Blur, properly mask that, in focus areas shouldn't be bleeding into out of focus areas, nor should they be blurred when an out of focus area overlaps with an in focus area.
  • Higher shadow quality (maybe use SDSM?) to avoid pixelation.
  • Ideally 1080p 30fps stable, not necessarily locked.
  • Do it right, avoid the hacks as long as possible

I could go on but my thoughts on Animation, Physics, AI, and the sorts of tools to present to devs are less fleshed out, less concrete.

sp3000

The Killzone CG trailer has far better animations and looks better than the actual game. So, those trailers are never matched anyway.

Speaking of which, Warcraft III CGI looks way better and is animated with much more skill than that Final Fantasy garbage that is being posted, and that was made in 2001.

I think the FF fanboys here confusing angst for graphics

Nose Master

For sure, I'd love for game prices to skyrocket and fuck up the industry even more.

I'd be fine with games looking like they do now, with better animation and frame rates, tbh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They need a pipeline that can automatically turn high poly assets into ingame assets.

Whether or not that's by using the high poly assets themselves as the models, or by developing middleware that doesn't futz around with this shit.

And also a pipeline that allows for baked lighting that can morph and be modified by dynamic lighting conditions (maps bakes it at 30 minute intervals for sunlight, then somehow merges the lightmaps over the course of the day).

Basically, next-gen will be about making it easier for content creators to make their stuff.

but you're mistaken sir! Game development budgets will cost one billion dollars. Fact!

but yes, common sense would suggest that actually next gen will work well with current tools and assets, and costs are more likely to be incremental than a massive jump

TedNindo

Yes I do. BUT. I don't want if it means that developers will struggle to survive. But if it were possible without any cons then yes.

PKrockin

I'm sure whatever tech next-gen offers me will satisfy me. I would really like to see more developers go with cel-shading. Games like Okami and Wind Waker still look awesome emulated in HD, but I'd love to see what they'd look like if they were made from the ground up for the Wii U/720.

I too don't get what makes the Wii U Zelda so special looking. Artistically it looks great of course, but on a technical level, which is undoubtedly what we're talking about here, it doesn't even match what has already been done on modern hardware.

The_Monk

To be really honest I'm more concerned about pricing, exclusive/timed DLC's, shorter games, paying more for core services/subscriptions, etc. =/

But those are some good screenshots OP.

cacildo

wa wa wait, so Final Fantasy 13 uses CG videos?

Why?

I have a ps3 for almost 2 years. Never played FF13 because i heard it was terrible and to be fair i already have terrible games i bought and regret

But i cant remember any PS3 games i have played that uses CG video

Except Parasite Eve! CG... so 90´s...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I too don't get what makes the Wii U Zelda so special looking. Artistically it looks great of course, but on a technical level, which is undoubtedly what we're talking about here, it doesn't even match what has already been done on modern hardware.

Eh? Seems like you forgot all those console games with shit textures and framerates still being made lately that look terrible compared to the Zelda demo.

Finaika

Because its Zelda.

Gattsu25

Banned
wa wa wait, so Final Fantasy 13 uses CG videos?

Why?

I have a ps3 for almost 2 years. Never played FF13 because i heard it was terrible and to be fair i already have terrible games i bought and regret

But i cant remember any PS3 games i have played that uses CG video

Except Parasite Eve! CG... so 90´s...
You are aware that very many PS3 and 360 games use CG videos for a multitude of reasons (including to mask load times), right? This is exceptionally common knowledge to the point where I find it odd that you would comment that it is unusual. *checks posting history* oh..

Eh? Seems like you forgot all those console games with shit textures and framerates still being made lately that look terrible compared to the Zelda demo.

It's a tech demo, it should look the best of the best. You don't compare tech demos to shit, you compare it to the best current hardware has to offer. It doesn't compare very favourably to those games. At best it's on par, but I would say personally the top end 360 and PS3 games look better.

xHAASx

Banned
What have you chaps to say about Crysis excellence [PC, maximal settings] for the consoles, in the forthcoming generation?

crysis24hu0.png

crysis28te5.png

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's a tech demo, it should look the best of the best. You don't compare tech demos to shit, you compare it to the best current hardware has to offer. It doesn't compare very favourably to those games. At best it's on par, but I would say personally the top end 360 and PS3 games look better.

I played Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3 on PC, both great looking games (and probably some of the best on consoles i presume), and which already look and run better than on consoles, and i still think saying that that Zelda demo is worse looking than the prettier 360/PS3 games is not right.

Then again, we're comparing full games to a 1 minute demo. We're just wasting time comparing apples and oranges.

Talking about FMV, I think those FF versus XIII trailers show that Square is still capable of measuring up to BLizzard or Ubisoft when it comes to realistic lighting in CGI.

I played Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3 on PC, both great looking games (and probably some of the best on consoles i presume), and which already look and run better than on consoles, and i still think saying that that Zelda demo is worse looking than the prettier 360/PS3 games is not right.

Then again, we're comparing full games to a 1 minute demo. We're just wasting time comparing apples and oranges.

I really don't say how you could say BF3 on max settings looks not as good as that tech demo. You have Zelda goggles on?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
happy? Would I be happy if the next gen games had squareenix CG level of visuals? Yes... yes I would, though the possibility of that is so slim and just wishful thinking.

I really don't say how you could say BF3 on max settings looks not as good as that tech demo. You have Zelda goggles on?

He's... not saying that?

GlamFM

Banned
I dont care as much about how they look, but more about how they run.

I want 60 fps at all times and 0 pop in/up or texture fading.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I dont care as much about how the look, but more about how they run.

I want 60 fps at all times an 0 pop in/up or texture fading.

Don't think this is going to be common on any console any time soon. Devs would rather push the visuals and settle with 30 fps and occasional visual flaws like pop in or tearing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone posting current PC shots on high detail - no, I wouldn't be happy with that. Why would you be happy with what can already be done on year old PC hardware? Where is your future capacity to grow and develop?

I'd reluctantly accept that, but I wouldn't be happy with it.

GlamFM

Banned
Don't think this is going to be common on any console any time soon. Devs would rather push the visuals and settle with 30 fps and occasional visual flaws like pop in or tearing.

I know you´re right - and that makes me very sad.

Top Bottom