• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a Ps5 Pro/Xbox Pro?

Would you buy a Pro console?

• I am satisfied with my Ps5

Votes: 162 37.9%
  • I am satisfied with my XSX

Votes: 82 19.2%
  • I am satisfied with my XSS

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • I would buy a Ps5 Pro

Votes: 230 53.9%
  • I would buy a Xbox Pro

Votes: 76 17.8%

• Total voters
The only way I'd buy a Series ? next year is if MS puts in a hard mandate that games have to run at a minimum of 60fps with Series X visuals.

Otherwise hell no.

Nydius

It just feels like this gen hasnt realy started and were coming up for 2 and a half yrs.
This is exactly my feelings on it as well. We haven’t even fully shed cross-gen development yet. It won’t be until late this year that we finally begin seeing games that ONLY run on current gen. I don’t think we’ve even seen what these current systems are capable of, and certainly not at a point where there need to be “pro” upgrades to them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doubtful this time. I did for One X over One OG since the jump was large and it included a 4k optical drive for movies (I dont have a dedicated 4k player). I also bought a 4k TV at around the same time, so One X all tied together.

But if Pro versions are solely a slight performance bump so all games are boosted to rock solid 4k/60, I'll pass and wait for next gen systems in 2027. The res/performance seems good enough for me at this time. And SSD speeds are good too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
React Yes GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia

Didn't vote since no option for "I wouldn't buy a PS5/Series X".

I got no reason to buy either console. Might pick up a PS5 Slim but probably not until 2024/2025.

I have a PC so can play Xbox and PlayStation games there :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DavidGzz

I will be getting a new PC soon so maybe just the PS5 Pro. Bloodborne 2 would go a long ways into hyping me for it. But Wolverine at 60fps with Raytracing would be all I need.

Fredrik

Nope, I have a PC for the highend gaming experience, investing in one console per generation from each manufacturer is enough for me.

Bakkus

Definitely not. I cannot see any incentive to do so when I already own a PS5 and XSX. The upgrades in a new console generation have become miniscule enough at this point. How small are those gonna now be just for a same gen revision...

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think it's fantastic to have mid gen refreshes, I always managed to get great money for my original console so the upgrade cost was nominal but the graphics jump was large. (Certainly was last gen)

Day one on both.

Robb

Gold Member
I won’t be upgrading from Series X and if I already had a Ps5 I wouldn’t be upgrading that either.

But I’ve been holding off on the Ps5 for the Pro/Slim model to arrive so I’ll definitely pick that up when it arrives given they’ve made the system smaller/re-designed it a bit.

Chukhopops

I don’t think a Pro version of either console would have the same power gap as XBO - X1X did, unless the new model is significantly more expensive.

I would more likely drop 1.5k in a PC upgrade than on those.

Gold Member
Nah not this time. I had a PSPro but that felt worthwhile as I upgraded my TV at the same time. What would a new pro bring to the table exactly?
Also, where would this be priced at? North of £550 I’d imagine which isn’t something I’d be willing to pay without a serious hook (I.e not a fps / res boost).
I’m happy with my PS5 games look and run decent enough 👍

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
100 percent day one one both and I would then keep those until the pro versions of ps6 and xbox launch as I doubt there will be a huge jump again.

We have ssds now, decent cpus. I think the wins will be in raytracing. Resolution and performance seem to be improving. I'd just play my console games at lower res with settings turned off by the dev to hit 60fps....

Saying all this....I'd probably see something that looks neat and invest day one lol

I'm missing the option: "I own a PS5 but I'm not satisfied with the lack of current-gen games available that actually take advantage of the hardware in the form of impressive exclusives that I'm used to from Sony, where all the money and resources are used to push the single, closed hardware to its limits, and more powerful hardware is not going to improve the situation; most likely the opposite"

reksveks

Got a series s, in theory I am more interested in a ps5 slim but still requires an exclusive set of games that I care about. I suspect that I would just upgrade the 3080 in the pc.

GymWolf

Of course.

Gamestop always does a nice promotion where you bring your old console and only pay half of the new one.

ANIMAL1975

Since the rumors are increasing that there will be Pro versions, I would be interested to know how many of you would even buy one. Do we even need them? Are they coming too soon? Personally, I don't need them yet.
I always want the latest tech updates in everything, my TV, my smartphone,... my gaming console. Its a way of life.

Now can i afford to, that's an all different story for another topic someday.

Gandih42

The most important aspects of the PS5 (would be the same if I had an Xbox) for me is being able to play the latest games at 60 FPS comfortably from my couch, without having to worry about maintaining and upgrading equipment.

So I would sell my old PS5 and get the Pro if it came out and would provide some level of a performance boost.

It's one of my prioritized leisure activities, so since I have the money for it I wouldn't mind keeping it updated given the chance.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Short answer: Yes .
Long answer- i suspected/predicted ps5pr0 gonna happen as soon as we got full info on base ps5 specs, it was perfect to build on, so even back then i knew i gotta wait for pr0 model coz that will be what i will want right away.

Zuzu

Yes, I probably will as long as it’s a sufficient increase in performance. For some of us we do need a PS5 Pro. By late 2024 some of us will want better graphics and performance in a console package than what the PS5 offers. Like new graphics cards, Pro consoles offer better visuals and performance compared to the base consoles. That’s enough justification for their existence. Many of us want that without having to wait 6 or 7 years for a new generation.

They have no negative effect on games coming to the base consoles, while they offer a better gaming experience for people who are willing to pay for them. I don’t see any negative thing about them, and they are justified in existing if there are enough people who are willing to purchase them for the better performance and visuals that they will offer.

Last edited:

kyussman

Yea,for sure.This gen doesn't feel like it's started properly yet,it's been a really weird one for me.If games do start dropping that get me excited to game again then I'll certainly wait for Pro consoles to play them on as I've not bought an XSX or PS5.

CashPrizes

Skipped PS4 Pro, and it worked out great. Yeah I did not get to play Horizon Zero Dawn at best settings at launch, but that was the one downside really. I just waited on playing God of war 2018 and Spider-Man until the PS5 came out.

Just got a new PC with a 4090, so almost definitely skipping the PS5 pro. Maybe if the new Last of Us multiplayer game becomes my new permanent jam (I loved original factions and was really good at it) and it recieves major benefits on a pro, I would consider buying one.

Rykan

Yes I would. I'd sell my old hardware and just buy the new one. It would be a good upgrade that would cost about 150 ~ 200$. I consider that worth it.

Mephisto40

I don't understand what they could do to a PS5 to make it any better and still keep it in line with the current model and have the price set at anything reasonable?

Ray tracing at 60FPS? that's going to put the price of the console up to over $1000

I genuinely can't think of anything else they could aim for, really don't see the point personally

Last edited:
Top Bottom