• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a Ps5 Pro/Xbox Pro?

Would you buy a Pro console?

• I am satisfied with my Ps5

Votes: 162 37.9%
  • I am satisfied with my XSX

Votes: 82 19.2%
  • I am satisfied with my XSS

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • I would buy a Ps5 Pro

Votes: 230 53.9%
  • I would buy a Xbox Pro

Votes: 76 17.8%

• Total voters

M1987

I don't understand what they could do to a PS5 to make it any better and still keep it in line with the current model and have the price set at anything reasonable?

Ray tracing at 60FPS? that's going to put the price of the console up to over $1000

I genuinely can't think of anything else they could aim for, really don't see the point personally
Even a 4090 can't hit 60fps at 4k in a few games without DLSS,and a pro will probably make console ports even worse than they already are

I would personally buy a PS5 Pro. I have become accustomed to 60fps now and I am finding it really hard to go back. I am both excited and worried about us moving out of the cross gen period, because while the graphics will improve, the framerate as well as the resolution will drop. 1080p 30 will be the likely scenario by the end of this generation.

Ulysses 31

If there's enough interesting exclusives out for it by then. I've only used my PS5 to claim free PSN games every month for the last 6 months or so.

Or maybe if current PS5 games playing in 4k 30 fps can be played at a solid 60 fps on the Pro.

Last edited:

Joho79

Would buy Xbox but it would be completely unnecessary games have barely pushed the regular. But curse of early adopter compels me

Foilz

Banned
There's no true reason to get either "pros". I can see if you don't like the current design of their shells but I can't see the X getting any small or quieter. It's form factor and sound levels are quite great. The PS5 on the other hand could definitely slim down quite a lot because that behemoth is obese and tarded looking. If the current hardware isn't being "pushed" properly yet then I doubt the "pro" versions will be

I only buy same gen console if they stop working . Had my ps4 og for 6-7 years, got ps5. Sold my ps4 og.
PS3 fat broke , got a slim , sold it to get my ps4.
Ps2 same, og -> broke. Slim -> sold.

Puscifer

NOPE! The implementation of pro/enhanced consoles last gen was a joke, many of them requiring patches to even be able to utilize them properly and GOTY editions became disc with codes, not disc with updated builds and content. I'm good, if I really want to upgrade I'll see what the GPU market looks like. At this point my PS5 is a streaming box that plays an exclusive a few weeks out the year

Kvally

Banned
I would buy an Xbox Series "?" mid gen upgrade and a PlayStation 5 Pro, day one. I would also sell my XSX and PS5 on eBay the same day. However, with Sony putting more and more games on PC, I am getting closer to pulling the REAL PRO trigger, PC. Play all Xbox and PS games on a single PC? "LEZDUIT". Until then, give me EVERY SINGLE Xbox and PS they make!

Last edited:
I would get a PS5 Pro......few years after release. I don't see a point in getting one when we're barley into this gen with PS5 current gen exclusives 🤷

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Higher resolutions.
Faster + more stable framerates.
More display modes.
Better ray tracing.
Faster loading.

I mean who wouldn’t want that outside of someone being a dick because they couldn’t afford it and wanting the people who can to go without it because they can’t have it.

This has happened for years be it on PC, then the PS4 Pro, then Xbox One X and finally people not wanting the Switch Pro to be real. “Wah wah I can’t have it so I don’t want it to be real”. So fucking childish.

scydrex

Probably i would get a ps5 pro. That depends on what it offers... if it offers higher fps or better IQ for psvr2 maybe yes. To play normal games idk. Maybe if it can do 1440p 60fps rt or 1440 120fps. I got the ps4 pro and honestly was disappointed with it the cpu still is crap. Didn't have a psvr 1 so idk about that. I sold it and got a ps4 slim and it's better. I think i would be happy if Sony with the ps5 slim increase the speed a bit? For example maybe Elden Ring locked or almost locked to 60fps? Those games than runs 50 or 55fps nearly locked 60fps to be locked 60fps. If it have to be the ps5 pro then i would get one.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

I would get a PS5 pro, but I'm mostly happy with the PS5. If I really need super high settings on a multiplatform game, I'll get it on PC.

Fbh

Maybe a Series X pro if MS really steps it up with their exclusives in the coming years.
Ps5 pro probably not because Sony has retarded pricing in my country, so if it ends up being $600-700 internatinally it's probably going to be around $1000 here which I think is way too much for a console that's not even going to give me access to new games (since I already have a regular Ps5)

Mahavastu

I voted for both:
I am satisfied with my Ps5
I would buy a Ps5 Pro

I am really happy with the PS5. On the other hand I just got the PSVR2 and I guess this could profit from better PS5 hardware.

Ozrimandias

I would buy one only if it comes with full backwards compatibility and can have the possibility to download my purchases made in my PS3 on my PS5 Pro.

So no, i would not buy a PS5 Pro.
Thanks Sony.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've been doing the majority of my gaming lately on PSVR2, so definitely would get a Pro for better performance.

I don't see the point when games development for these platforms are not even in full swing. We're still getting too many cross-gen titles, and then there's the issue of the Xbox Series S(hite).

Last edited:
I’m done with consoles. Seems like such a waste of money to me. This current gen seemed outdated before it even really started.

hinch7

Nope, same reason why I don't upgrade my PC every few generations. Unless something is completely unplayable on my system I don't need to 'upgrade' to the latest and greatest tech.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I probably would get a PS5 Pro, but not if it just means more fucking Ray-Tracing. I want native 4k with higher frame rates. So it really depends on the pitch.

Susurrus

No. I didn't upgrade to PS4 Pro either. Went from original PS4 -> PS5. I never had an original XBOne, but ended up getting an XBOne S on sale. Instead of a Series X, I decided just to keep my XBOne S around for my existing collection/etc, and a Series X seems redundant with both a PS5 and a beefy PC w/ Xbox app on it.

Esppiral

There are missing options you are assuming that People only have one current gen console, that being said, I am *satisfied " with both my PS5 and series X, but if they dare to release pro consoles (current ones are being barely utilized)I swear I will jump to PC

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Options people! Options! You dont have to buy it ! If you are only saying NO because you cant have it .. gtfo .. I cant have a 4090 either boo fucking hoo

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don't understand what they could do to a PS5 to make it any better and still keep it in line with the current model and have the price set at anything reasonable?

Ray tracing at 60FPS? that's going to put the price of the console up to over $1000

I genuinely can't think of anything else they could aim for, really don't see the point personally
Practically every PS5 game lets you choose between performance mode vs quality mode. Is it so hard to imagine a PS5 Pro where games run with the settings of quality mode + framerate of performance mode?

Lunarorbit

No way. This gen has been largely a failure. Still waiting for exclusives to actually come out. So fuck both companies actually

Rayderism

If they made a PS5 Pro, I would get it eventually. I wouldn't be happy about having to upgrade so soon, but I'd do it, I just wouldn't be in any rush to get it. Now, if it offered full BC with ALL previous Playstation consoles (as in disk support, not just digital), I'd get one as soon as I could get my hands on it.

As for a PS5 slim.....no, at least not as long as the PS5 I have now keeps working.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't think we'll be ready this year or next year. I mean seriously 99% of games are still cross gen, right now. Piling another sku on devs is not what anyone needs. Once PS4 is dead and buried we can talk about how far off PS6 is and what value a stop gap would offer.

For PS4 Pro it was 4K, that was the feature. For a PS5 Pro it's what? Better ray tracing I guess? I mean we aren't even really exploiting the base model yet so I just don't see the value add.

Mephisto40

Practically every PS5 game lets you choose between performance mode vs quality mode. Is it so hard to imagine a PS5 Pro where games run with the settings of quality mode + framerate of performance mode?
Yes it is, because quality mode is generally 30fps with ray tracing at 4K. To run quality modes like that at 60fps would require a graphics card that would bump the cost up of the PS5 to double the current cost if not more, which is why Sony will never do it

The latest Nivida cards that can run games smoothly at 4K 60fps with ray tracing enabled cost 3 times the amount of a PS5 console, and that's just the cost of the video card

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh, honestly I think I'm good with my launch PS5. If I want better graphics I can just play on my PC.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yes it is, because quality mode is generally 30fps with ray tracing at 4K. To run quality modes like that at 60fps would require a graphics card that would bump the cost up of the PS5 to double the current cost if not more, which is why Sony will never do it

The latest Nivida cards that can run games smoothly at 4K 60fps with ray tracing enabled cost 3 times the amount of a PS5 console, and that's just the cost of the video card
What are you talking about? I don’t know why you’re trying to bring PCs and Nvidia into this.

It’s simple. If you have a game running at 4K 30 FPS on a PS5, you’d need a GPU roughly twice as powerful to run it at 60 FPS with the same settings. A hypothetical PS5 Pro with a GPU 2x that of the original, launching 4 years later for around the same price, is not far-fetched, at all.

Spyxos

There are missing options you are assuming that People only have one current gen console, that being said, I am *satisfied " with both my PS5 and series X, but if they dare to release pro consoles (current ones are being barely utilized)I swear I will jump to PC
You can vote 2 times.

Mephisto40

What are you talking about? I don’t know why you’re trying to bring PCs and Nvidia into this.

It’s simple. If you have a game running at 4K 30 FPS on a PS5, you’d need a GPU roughly twice as powerful to run it at 60 FPS with the same settings. A hypothetical PS5 Pro with a GPU 2x that of the original, launching 4 years later for around the same price, is not far-fetched, at all.
I want some of whatever you are smoking

If an Nvidia GTX 4090 cant run games at a stable 4K, 60FPS with ray tracing enabled what on earth makes you think Sony are going to be able to push out a console that does it for a third of the price?

Last edited:
Top Bottom