• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a Ps5 Pro/Xbox Pro?

Would you buy a Pro console?

• I am satisfied with my Ps5

Votes: 162 37.9%
  • I am satisfied with my XSX

Votes: 82 19.2%
  • I am satisfied with my XSS

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • I would buy a Ps5 Pro

Votes: 230 53.9%
  • I would buy a Xbox Pro

Votes: 76 17.8%

• Total voters

Mercador

Yes but I have already an XSX. I would buy one to change my gaming PC as GPU prices are crazy high. And a console is way easier to launch than my PC plugged into my TV that I have to mess with settings (audio and video) each time I want to play a game on the big screen.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yep, it would be at time my extended warranty is out, so that would be perfect (at the end of 2024).

Sidenote, consoles in this gen are criminally underused, it almost feel like it is worse than it was year/two ago.

So Covid my ass

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Would get the PS5 Pro.
Would get the PS5 Pro Ultra.
Would get the PS5 Pro Ultra XT.
Would get the PS5 Pro Ultra XTX.

If the PS4 -> PS4 Pro is any indication, I should be able to sell the previous console used and only need to put some 200-250€ over that to get a >2x performance/visuals upgrade on the mid-gen console. Even if they launched an upgrade like this every year I would probably get it.

The only reason I wouldn't do the same for an Xbox is because I already invest well over 500€/year in upgrades for my gaming-capable Windows PC, even without Game Pass and Steam games.

StereoVsn

I would get PS5 Pro but probably would stick to my regular XSX. I use it mainly for GamePass and BC games.

Got PC and PS5 for the rest.

odhiex

I would like Sony to stop making games for PS4 before I pay for a PS5 pro.
Cmiiw, I think there are no more new games from Sony (except MLB the Show, Destiny Lightfall) for cross-gen starting this year?

Even the DLC for Horizon FW is PS5 only. Spider Man 2 is also for PS5.

Last edited:
Hard no for me. PS5 and XSX have barely made an argument for why ppl needed to upgrade from the previous gen.

Most games getting 60fps modes and with solid stability was enough for me. Performance on previous gen is pretty crap, unless you are cool with 30fps with dips and at lower resolutions to boot.

I doubt it.

I bought a One X because the base model was weak at launch just like the PS4, and with 4K and HDR becoming a thing it offered me an obviously better experience. the thing is, the PS5 and Series X don't feel weak to me, so pro models are really solving a problem that doesn't exist. So no, I probably would stick with my Series X and PS5 until their sequels.

Edellus

I'm going to wait and see how big the improvements are. My TV is far enough from the couch to make 1440p sufficient. And as long as the game runs at 60fps+, I'm fine with it. So, if the only gain would be 4k 60fps, I will be perfectly happy with my launch PS5 until PS6 arrives.

That said, if they are pushing stuff like full RT at 60fps (even at 1440p), then I'm buying it. I'm interested in getting a PSVR2 as well, and if it helps to push visual fidelity and performance there, the better.

I'm keeping my expectations in check with the latter, though. I don't know how well most devs will receive yet another 2 consoles to optimize for, let alone to add stuff like full RT just for them. I would very much like that, but I imagine they will limit it to increasing resolution and/or fps, along some minor (but welcomed) details that you'd only know after watching a DF video. Just like it happened with PS4 Pro.

But if I have too much money to waste by then, I might buy it regardless.

Most gens I probably would but there's been so few next gen exclusives that as far as I'm concerned neither console deserves a pro version yet. The only thing that would get me to get a pro version would be the Xbox ditching the proprietary storage and allowing other SSD's, and even that wouldn't be guaranteed buy

Most games getting 60fps modes and with solid stability was enough for me. Performance on previous gen is pretty crap, unless you are cool with 30fps with dips and at lower resolutions to boot.
I agree with that and that's why I initially upgraded to XBSX and PS5 for the higher frame rate. I feel like the appeal for another upgrade will be more detail and MAYBE ray tracing...2 things I find myself caring less about during gameplay. Artists have gotten pretty good with taking advantage of baked lighting in more linear games. I don't play open world games as much these days (due to lack of free time and loathing collectathons and fetch quests) so I don't care as much about those features being implemented with new hardware...if that makes sense.

Leonidas

Absolutely not.

I will upgrade my PC GPU though, and make it even faster than whatever enhanced consoles they come out with...

Buzzy42

Neo Member
I've been holding off buying a PS5 because I basically have nowhere to put it because of its design. I'll be in day 1 for either a Pro or a PS5 Slim, if it doesn't have the stupid curves that look slick in photos but mean it won't fit in certain configurations.

No, 2 years later after launch we barely have games that really take advantage of the regular PS5/ Xbox Series. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X made kind of more sense, because the boost in resolution showed an improvement and also, anyway, media was migrating to 4K, so the step was needed to take some advantage of the TV....But now just for better ray tracing and performance? They should made a more capable console on the first place, then. As PS4 Pro and PS5 owner i wont fall again...I´d rather upgrade my PC and keep with PS5 until PS6 or the real next gen Xbox or Nintendo show up in few years...

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Not with current AMD GPUs (or ones anytime soon). What you would gain is just not worth it yet. When we can get an upper mid-range AMD GPU that does 4K 60fps with multiple RT effects, then yes. If say Sony is aiming for a 2024 release, then they are looking at AMD tech now and that just ain’t enough. There would be no way Sony or MS would put in a high end AMD gpu as the price of the console and the cooling system it would need would both be ridiculous. Would make the current PS5 look like the “slim” model.

AmuroChan

Cmiiw, I think there are no more new games from Sony (except MLB the Show, Destiny Lightfall) for cross-gen starting this year?

Factions could very well be cross-gen. After all, that was supposed to be part of TLOU2.

njean777

This time around probably not. I play at 1440p and the inclusion of the ssd this gen has made the most difference for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
let-me-think-about-that-no-chloe-decker.gif

I don’t get why people are ok buying £1k phones every year or two but £450 is about the max people will pay for a console expected to last 7-10 years. I know smarter people than me will have done the maths and can probably prove with data that getting as many cheap consoles out there as possible is the winning strategy but I do fine it strange when compared to mobile phones.

I’ve got both a XSX and PS5 and like them both but the reality is that they are trading blows with my 3-4 year old (mid range at the time) PC which I bought as a stop gap before society collapsed and the GPU market went wild. I would love more powerful consoles but I guess the market isn’t there.

Ozriel

M$FT
Day one.

I don't understand what they could do to a PS5 to make it any better and still keep it in line with the current model and have the price set at anything reasonable?

Ray tracing at 60FPS? that's going to put the price of the console up to over $1000

By the time the pro consoles are released - if the rumors are correct - the launch models will not be $499.

Switch to an RDNA 4 GPU and use its superior RT performance + FSR 3.X frame generation to hit higher frame rates with RT. Why would that cost $1000 when even RDNA 2’s weak RT performance still has games hitting 30fps today on console?

Gold Member
I don’t get why people are ok buying £1k phones every year or two but £450 is about the max people will pay for a console expected to last 7-10 years. I know smarter people than me will have done the maths and can probably prove with data that getting as many cheap consoles out there as possible is the winning strategy but I do fine it strange when compared to mobile phones.

I’ve got both a XSX and PS5 and like them both but the reality is that they are trading blows with my 3-4 year old (mid range at the time) PC which I bought as a stop gap before society collapsed and the GPU market went wild. I would love more powerful consoles but I guess the market isn’t there.
Phone are usually paid over time throughout the contract though. And even though I don’t do that (and buy outright) my last iPhone was only £650 3 years ago.

I’m sure there are people out there that do buy a £1k phone every year, but they are probably happy to buy a pro/GPU every year too! Personally though, I need a good reason to shell out for new shit be it phone (how many cameras does a phone need anyway lol) or console.

That said, not against it existing or anything for those that want a pro. But I can’t see me picking one up unless something mind blowing comes along for it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Right now I'll say no, but depends. If there's a wave of upgrades to existing PS5 games for the Pro, I'd sell my PS5 and pay the extra for the Pro.

Also depends on when PS6 releases. If Pro releases late 2024 and PS6 releases late 2026 then no, but if PS6 releases holiday 2028 then I probably would.

emivita

I still have PS4 Pro and was thinking about buying PS5 now that stock issues are over, but naah, I'll happily wait for PS5 Pro.

xrnzaaas

No to PS5 Pro, I regretted not buying a PS4 Pro, but PS5 isn't struggling that much with new games.

As for Xbox - I'll buy the strongest console available when their big exclusives are finally released.

rofif

Banned
No to PS5 Pro, I regretted not buying a PS4 Pro, but PS5 isn't struggling that much with new games.

As for Xbox - I'll buy the strongest console available when their big exclusives are finally released.
I was happy I had ps4 slim. It was small, whisper quiet and I was backpacking it to a buddy to play bloodborne. Good times

Mayar

Neo Member
The only reason to buy pro versions of consoles, for me, can only be if the developers can show a real need for them in the market. At the moment, almost no one can say they are necessary, the quality of the visuals in games in this generation is a bit disappointing to say the least, I can only remember one game that really caused me a visual orgasm - Demon Souls Remaster. If someone wants to release Pro versions of consoles, then it is in their own interest to show a visual that would justify their release, at the moment, to be honest, the situation is so sad that I think we will live quite calmly without Pro consoles for another 2 years.

makaveli60

For what? To play lastgen games in 8k and/or 120 fps on my 4k/60 fps TV? I would be interested only if I had a house sized TV that needs 8k

Spyxos

You can't compare these 1k phones to consoles. For many I know, their phone is their life. They don't have a PC, a laptop, just a phone. They work with the thing, and use their Tik Tok and Instagram with it. They just can't live without it.

The console can almost only play games, maybe Netflix and other streaming services, but that's about it. Their use is very limited.

You can't compare these 1k phones to consoles. For many I know, their phone is their life. They don't have a PC, a laptop, just a phone. They work with the thing, and use their Tik Tok and Instagram with it. They just can't live without it.

The console can almost only play games, maybe Netflix and other streaming services, but that's about it. Their use is very limited.
Yeah fair point.

For me my phone is the absolute last resort if I can't use my desktop, laptop or tablet but phones are so powerful now that you can do almost anything on one.

I know £1k consoles are a terrible idea it's just selfish wishful thinking that would probably crash the console market.

Poordevil

I game on a PS4 Pro so I am actually holding off for a PS5 Pro. It is not hard to do because the PS4 Pro is adequate for running the games I play. If the Pro turns out to be a false rumor, then I will pick up a PS5 slim. I really don't like the design of the current PS5, making it even eaiser to pass on it.

Sleepwalker

I suffered with the base ps4 and the xbox one S until this gen, I wont go through that again. Would only buy the ps5 pro as id prefer a beefy pc than upgrading my xsx.

As of right now, I don't think so honestly. I'm really not using my PS5 and XSX nearly as much as I anticipated, as I have noticed that I have transitioned to playing primarily on my PC (and the Steam Deck) more than I am on consoles. This tends to come and go in phases though, so I guess I'll see. I have traditionally always bought all consoles every generation going all the way back to the SNES/Genesis days. For some reason right now, I have no appetite for upgraded consoles.

SeraphJan

I want some of whatever you are smoking

If an Nvidia GTX 4090 cant run games at a stable 4K, 60FPS with ray tracing enabled what on earth makes you think Sony are going to be able to push out a console that does it for a third of the price?
Blackwell is likely to launch at the end of 2024 which is around PS5 Pro launch window, by that time PS5 is likely using RDNA4, 4K 60fps with RT on is not unlikely with FSR or CB, console games overall have better optimization compare to PC games, price wise console mostly sells at a loss, not to mention 4090 is super inflated in terms of its MSRP, a $599 PS5 Pro is very likely, it could go for $699 but I doubt that.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I'm not against the idea, but I would rather buy a PS5 Slim.

Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside, with the latter reportedly launching in early 2024.

SHA

PC Pro cause it makes more sense, I could toy with the settings however I please, what's the point if we just have 2 to 3 presets and only one of them works? 20+ tea flops with one working setting is a waste.

Top Bottom