• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you like to see another game in The Getaway series?

M.W.

I remember liking these games back in the day, but that could be nostalgia. Would you like to see a sequel on these new consoles/pc?

Plus, it'll be interesting to see what GAF thinks of the series.

Matush

Never played the series, but we seriously need some games that are set in London. I can't remember last time there was a decent game set there.

Gogo_ZvC

I wouldn't mind another. Rented the first one and enjoyed it way back, but did it have a map? For my life I couldn't navigate around London to reach and complete those missions.

WhupTroy

Banned
Wow, completely forgot about that game until I just read your post. I remembered I liked it back in the day, not sure how it'd stand up now though, lol

jimi_dini

getaway3q0pd3.jpg

Fucking Sony.

To answer the question: I would have liked to see it. Nowadays, nope.

Sporran

I loved this game when it came out. Better still i got the version where you dress up as the BT Engineer all in BT Gear and VAN :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Fuck yeah! The gameplay in the original games was certainly flawed, but it was a fantastic setting and one deserving of a modern open world game.

stawnkald

I was a dick when the PS2 version came out and never really gave it much of a chance, and I regret it now.

Would love a reboot or at the very least, release the original games as PS2 classics?

jcutner

Loved the games, even if you had to lean against a wall to heal bullet wounds....

It was one of the first games to have a proper regenerative health healing mechanic if I remember correctly. This and Halo, no? Otherwise it was just healthpacks.

God yes. But the studio in charge was shut down years ago right?

I'd love an open world game in London. The best part about that game was that they basically recreated something like 8 square miles of London.

I liked the leaning health, the real world branding (sometimes this would be annoying but it just felt authentic here). Was it one of the first games to say fuck and cunt as liberally as it did? Felt like a big thing at the time, something the GTA for example weren't comfortable with.

BONDO

I remember aiming being a huge chore and every vehicle drove like a turd.
Enjoyed the game/series and id welcome another sequel. Im in the GTA camp though, it was just smoother to play. Though GTA also had its aiming issues

jcutner

God yes. But the studio in charge was shut down years ago right?

I'd love an open world game in London. The best part about that game was that they basically recreated something like 8 square miles of London.

I think most of the people from Team Soho went to form Team Bondi who developed LA Noire if I'm not mistaken.

Fake Edit: The company was founded in 2003 by Brendan McNamara, former Director of Development for Sony Computer Entertainment’s Team Soho Studio in London, writer and director of The Getaway.

Winter John

Gold Member
Yeah, I loved those games. Speeding round London, dodging buses, the warehouse fights. I'll never forget the part where you had to go into the drug dealer's den and they had that great music blasting out

Certinty

It's actually amazing how well the game worked with no HUD whatsoever. Also having one of the main playable characters being female in Black Monday was also great. If they do by any chance make another then I hope they don't change either of these things.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They were truly fucking awful messes of games. So I guess I'd like them back if they actually made them good.

I loved the Getaway. I loved it similarly to how I loved GTA, but it was special. It had a real city. It had real cars. It had, imo, the BEST navigation system, one I'd love for GTA - Turn signals. Drive like a maniac, wreck up your turn signals, you don't know where to go easily. So you risk stealing a car, or try to memorize your route. I'd love for that to be an option in GTAV if you turned off the minimap, as I love to do from time to time. I keep my fingers crossed that type of update will come one day...
it wont, I know :(

Also, any game that lets me understand British gang slang is awesome. The back of the manual had several pages devoted to translating words you are going to hear in the game to standard english. I really want to replay this now..

Lng0004

I actually loved the first Getaway, despite the flaws. Why? It was one of the first games with believable mo-capped cutscenes. It actually had a story. And it wasn't over the top like GTA. Would love to see The Getaway for PS4. Imagine if SCE London had been working on that!

jcutner

I loved the Getaway. I loved it similarly to how I loved GTA, but it was special. It had a real city. It had real cars. It had, imo, the BEST navigation system, one I'd love for GTA - Turn signals. Drive like a maniac, wreck up your turn signals, you don't know where to go easily. So you risk stealing a car, or try to memorize your route. I'd love for that to be an option in GTAV if you turned off the minimap, as I love to do from time to time. I keep my fingers crossed that type of update will come one day...
it wont, I know :(

Also, any game that lets me understand British gang slang is awesome. The back of the manual had several pages devoted to translating words you are going to hear in the game to standard english. I really want to replay this now..

Oh right! I forgot about the turn signal navigation! There were so many brilliant little touches to it.

Oh right! I forgot about the turn signal navigation! There were so many brilliant little touches to it.
For Real!! I don't know another open world game that has used them...a little touch that really adds immersion. Something so you aren't glued to the minimap 24/7. Granted, in time, you should be getting familiar with the routes and all, but this definitely helps expedite the process!

rnaud

the-getaway-20050101110623000.jpg

I just remember reading about this and The Bouncer being a kid and being amazed by the graphics.

Child hype is pure. Watch Dogs is their new Gateway I'm guessing ^^

Blink Me

Yeah I was disappointed when 3 never came out. Loved one and two even if they were flawed. Although I was always disappointed in 2 that we never found out what happened to Hammond and Carter.

Top Bottom