• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: I've been saying / doing it wrong all my life - age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok wow. This commercial about tires just blew my mind due to a specific word pronounciation:

Main Entry: mis·chie·vous Pronunciation: \&#712;mis-ch&#601;-v&#601;s, &#712;mish-; ÷mis-&#712;ch&#275;-v&#275;-&#601;s, mish-\Function: adjective Date: 14th century 1 : HARMFUL, INJURIOUS <mischievous gossip> 2 a : able or tending to cause annoyance, trouble, or minor injury b : irresponsibly playful <mischievous behavior> — mis·chie·vous·ly adverb —

mis·chie·vous·ness noun usage

A pronunciation \mis-&#712;ch&#275;-v&#275;-&#601;s\ and a consequent spelling mischievious are of long standing: evidence for the spelling goes back to the 16th century. Our pronunciation files contain modern attestations ranging from dialect speakers to Herbert Hoover. But both the pronunciation and the spelling are still considered nonstandard.

I have ALWAYS pronounced the word as misscheeveeus and not misschehvus. My world is upside down. Someone please hold me.

UFRA

It wasn't until later in high school that I realized "genre" isn't pronounced like "gen ear" LOL

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Guitar

It's supposed to be pronounced G'tar

But I say Gee-tar

Cause I don't give a fuck

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

what_rhythm

Neo Member
I used to always pronounce "strength" as "strenth" because that's what thought everyone else was saying and keeping the "ng" silent. I recently realized that saying it with the "ng" makes a lot of sense, but im still not quite able to hear it when a lot of other folks say it.

That "ng" makes it 10x trickier to say but if just feels right

CLEEK

I've never met an American who pronounces herb correctly. We even have an American guy at work called Herb who gets it wrong.

I've never met an American who pronounces herb correctly. We even have an American guy at work called Herb who gets it wrong.

We respect the word's French origins enough to not mispronounce it like you Brits :p

When I was little I thought hyperbole was pronounced "hyper-bowl".

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Until last week, I would always say Neogaf as Neo-jee-aye-eff. As in, each letter.

I only recently discovered that it is usually Neo-gaf.

Meh.

I used to read antipodes as "Anti poads", when it's actually pronounced "Anne tip oh dees". Then again, that word is so obscure nobody cares.

Thoraxes

A word that probably a huge majority of people everywhere always fuck up: Prelude.

Correctly Pronounced: prel-yood

How most say it: pree-lood or pray-lood (this second one is semi-correct depending on your nation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom