• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just realized I've been pronouncing "warez" wrong my whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Did you not notice that it has a 'Z' on the end? It's not "Where's" I don't care what wikipedia says.

Everything remotely internet hacker related that normally had an "s" was changed to a "z" in the 90s because it was EXTREME! *guitar riff*

We were really stupid back then.

It is and always has been "wears" and I'm quite surprised to find so many here didn't know that. Y'all need to step up your 90s internet slang.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yeah i'm guilty of that too, to be honest i didn't even knew what wares meant as English is not my first language so i couldn't ever make the connection.

temp

posting on contract only
I always read it in my mind as "Juárez." Me as a kid thought, Juárez is a place in Mexico where a lot of illegal drug stuff is shopped around, so it's like the Juárez of the Internet.

Then I forgot about the word for 15 years until right now when I learned I was wrong.

Damn warez is a blast from the past. I remember people pronouncing it Juarez and it used to make me crazy. Like when people pronounce gif as jif. Fucking noobs.

People have never heard of Warez? Jesus I'm old.

I always pronounced it like wear-ez or wears because I thought it was a shorthand for softwarez.

For those who dobt know, Warez was what you called illegally downloaded software in the 90s and early 2000s. I don't know why it had a different name.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Your whole life? As in you continued to use the word warez past the 90s. You may have bigger problems than your pronunciation.

kamakazi5

I have always said warez because of its spelling.

I pronounce meme like the mem in memory. The other pronunciations sound terrible to my ears.

BadAss2961

I pronounced it the same way in my head for a very long time. One day I thought about it for a second and just realized the wordplay on my own.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Call of Warez: Vocabularyslinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom