• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: I've been saying / doing it wrong all my life - age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, yeah. Fuck all you American that think it's right to pronounce jaguar "jag-wire". There's no wire in it. It's "jag-u-are"

You just don't know about our advanced jaguar cybernetics programs.

Americans and Brits shouldn't argue about what way to pronounce or write in English is the correct one, since it's the most inconsistent language ever when it comes to spelling rules and such.

I've no clue what you mean. Excuse me while I go ghoti.

I pronounced misled as myz-eld in my head for the first 25 years of my life. I knew of the existence of misled and how it was pronounced differently, but up until that point I saw them as two different words with similar meaning. It was a word I often saw in books but rarely heard in the Australian vernacular.

I guess it came from being very advanced in my reading ahead of others through my early education and I never had the advantage of being read to in class as I was always on the side with a more advanced book.

So you mispronounced a word because you were too smart... ok.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Americans and Brits shouldn't argue about what way to pronounce or write in English is the correct one, since it's the most inconsistent language ever when it comes to spelling rules and such.

I've thrown that shit out of the window, i've just learnt out i'n not speaking English.. i am speaking American

Notice the qualifiers? So if you're referring to American English then you're correct, as opposed to actual English.

When the puritans first settled in North America both they and the Brits spoke the same goddamn language. Neither of them speak that same language now. Both sides are responsible for its bastardization and it would be laughable to claim one side as the "correct" version.

Notice the qualifiers? So if you're referring to American English then you're correct, as opposed to actual English.
"English" would encompass the language and all its dialects, so it would be more helpful to specify whether one is talking about British English or American English when discussing the differences between the two. One is not inherently more correct than the other, such as when the other poster (jokingly) deemed their spelling as being wrong. (I'm on Team Aluminium, for reference.)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Demonstrable. Demonstrably.

De-monster-able.

That's something you can use to remove monsters with.

Demonstrate-able makes much more sense. We should change it.

Ok wow. This commercial about tires just blew my mind due to a specific word pronounciation:

Main Entry: mis·chie·vous Pronunciation: \&#712;mis-ch&#601;-v&#601;s, &#712;mish-; ÷mis-&#712;ch&#275;-v&#275;-&#601;s, mish-\Function: adjective Date: 14th century 1 : HARMFUL, INJURIOUS <mischievous gossip> 2 a : able or tending to cause annoyance, trouble, or minor injury b : irresponsibly playful <mischievous behavior> — mis·chie·vous·ly adverb —

mis·chie·vous·ness noun usage

A pronunciation \mis-&#712;ch&#275;-v&#275;-&#601;s\ and a consequent spelling mischievious are of long standing: evidence for the spelling goes back to the 16th century. Our pronunciation files contain modern attestations ranging from dialect speakers to Herbert Hoover. But both the pronunciation and the spelling are still considered nonstandard.

I have ALWAYS pronounced the word as misscheeveeus and not misschehvus. My world is upside down. Someone please hold me.

I have been living a lie.

Rubbish King

"English" would encompass the language and all its dialects, so it would be more helpful to specify whether one is talking about British English or American English when discussing the differences between the two. One is not inherently more correct than the other, which the other poster (jokingly) deemed their spelling as being wrong. (I'm on Team Aluminium, for reference.)

I really am having a problem understanding, is there seriously no such thing as... just plain English? sorry to nag on but my world is crashing and burning before my eyes.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
After saying it out loud i have come to the conclusion i am not ready to become an American, maybe one day i will conform to the worlds overlords, but not today

Every word with "e" sounds in it seems to be pronounced in two different ways.

Blue-Barry

Blue-burry

May lay

mee lee

Rubbish King

Nope. Really, it's fort in pronunciation! Even in merry old England!

I didn't know for a long time and I don't think most people do. Unless you're talking about the musical instruction, which is for-tay

thats the word i thought you meant, like forte holes in a violin

Rubbish King

Right, we're all pretty calm here, seeing as i clearly dont understand America, do you not find it strange that football is called soccer over your side and a game which is very similar to rugby here which involves carrying a ball round in your hands you call it football? now im not knocking the sport as america is great at making great spectator sport but, does nobody see this weirdness?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Right, we're all pretty calm here, seeing as i clearly dont understand America, do you not find it strange that football is called soccer over your side and a game which is very similar to rugby here which involves carrying a ball round in your hands you call it football? now im not knocking the sport as america is great at making great spectator sport but, does nobody see this weirdness?

Yeah, I have always disliked this.

Could never come up with a reasonable scenario where this would actually be used as the name for the sport.

Out of curiosity, which dictionaries are you referring to? The ones I'm looking at all show forté/forte as having two acceptable pronunciations.

I always pronounced it for-tay.

Such as "That's not my for-tay."

I think that's the correct pronunciation, and the way I always hear it.

Out of curiosity, which dictionaries are you referring to? The ones I'm looking at all show forté/forte as having two acceptable pronunciations.

It's acceptable today,but some people don't believe so. So many people used the music pronunciation for the other word that the language changed.

I always pronounced it for-tay.

Such as "That's not my for-tay."

I think that's the correct pronunciation, and the way I always hear it.

It isn't the original.

"There are two words of the same spelling, one borrowed from French and the other from Italian. It used to be the case that the one from French that means a person&#8217;s strong point was pronounced as one syllable (/f&#594;&#720;t/ ).
But the influence of the other word, which retained a stronger link to its original Italian pronunciation, is too strong and is winning. It is now thought acceptable in Britain to say the two words the same way (/f&#594;&#720;t&#618;/), and the new edition of Chambers and the New Oxford English Dictionary both say so. This has reached the point where I have seen the word, in the sense of &#8220;strong point&#8221;, mistakenly spelled forté, presumably in imitation of café. The older pronunciation is still heard, however, and some people would consider the version in two syllables for the word meaning &#8220;strong point&#8221; to be wrong.
There was a discussion on alt.usage.english about this some time ago, from which I gather American usage is more conservative. But the Random House Webster&#8217;s unabridged dictionary says: &#8220;A two-syllable pronunciation is increasingly heard, especially from younger educated speakers, perhaps owing to confusion with the musical term forte. Both the one- and two-syllable pronunciations of FORTE are now considered standard&#8221;. So though there appears to be a transatlantic distinction on this one, it is slight, and decreasing."

Football is played with the foot and Soccer is played with socks.

What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom