• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: I've been saying / doing it wrong all my life - age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

A word that probably a huge majority of people everywhere always fuck up: Prelude.

Correctly Pronounced: prel-yood

How most say it: pree-lood or pray-lood (this second one is semi-correct depending on your nation)

Mind fucking blown.

Probably because nobody ever corrected me on it/pronounce it the same way D:

Alx

Not a mispronunciation, but up until last year, I thought Monday was the first day of the week.

Related to that, I always thought that Sunday was the day God rested and that it was the reason it was holy. Except that the resting day is Saturday (hence celebrated by the Jews, while Muslims celebrate the day man was created : Friday), and Sunday is the day of Christ resurrection (nothing to do with Genesis). Hence the last day of the biblical week is indeed Saturday.

Apparently you are supposed to use your fork in your left hand, and your knife in your right. I learned this a few years ago when someone made a comment on it and I started noticing that everyone around me did this. But I don't give a shit, RIGHT HANDED FORK FOREVER!

Note: It may be knife in dominant hand, as I am right handed as are most people I know.

I was taught that you cut your food with your knife in your right hand and fork in your left. Then you switch and put your fork in your right hand and eat with that. Since it's rude to cut your food into pieces all at once, this means a lot of switching back and forth through a meal.

I don't like wasting time when I eat so I just keep the fork in my right hand and knife in my left. I was told that this is supposedly the European method.

Alx

No, Europeans use the fork-left knife-right method too... I don't think you're supposed to switch hand though, you may use your fork with your right hand if you're not using your knife at all, but most of the time you'll keep it on the left. Switching hands all the time would probably be considered bad manners.

*edit : apparently, switching hand is "american style" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hZI0GoCIPM&feature=player_detailpage#t=25s ).

How uncivilized... ^^

That's extremely inefficient and I've never heard of anybody eating meals like that.

Apparently it IS the American style, though.

American style
In the American style, also called the zig-zag method, the knife is initially held in the right hand and the fork in the left. Holding food to the plate with the fork tines-down, a single bite-sized piece is cut with the knife. The knife is then set down on the plate, the fork transferred from the left hand to the right hand, and the food is brought to the mouth for consumption. The fork is then transferred back to the left hand and the knife is picked up with the right.[3][7] In contrast to the European hidden handle grip, in the American style the fork is held much like a spoon or pen once it is transferred to the right hand to convey food to the mouth.

Edit: late.

Always seemed utterly silly to me. However, I prefer to keep my fork in my dominant hand. Just makes the most sense to me.

leadbelly

Banned
I was taught that you cut your food with your knife in your right hand and fork in your left. Then you switch and put your fork in your right hand and eat with that. Since it's rude to cut your food into pieces all at once, this means a lot of switching back and forth through a meal.

I don't like wasting time when I eat so I just keep the fork in my right hand and knife in my left. I was told that this is supposedly the European method.

I live in Europe and I have never heard that before. Why would you keep swapping around? Seems impractical. Of course the reason you have the knife in the right hand is so that you use your strong arm to cut the meat. Being left handed it should really be the other way around for me, but in terms of etiquette, it doesn't really work that way.

Edit: Oh I see. It's the American way. I thought you meant it was the European way.

I live in Europe and I have never heard that before. Why would you keep swapping around? Seems impractical. Of course the reason you have the knife in the right hand is so that you use your strong arm to cut the meat. Being left handed it should really be the other way around for me, but in terms of etiquette, it doesn't really work that way.

No, I was saying the European method was where you kept them in the same hands throughout. I was just mistaken as to which utensil went with which hand.

maladroid

Monday is the beginning of the week. Not least because Sunday is part of the weekend, not the weekstart.
The explanation I got (or read) was that Saturday and Sunday were like the ends of the week, like book ends, or the start and finish (the ends) of a piece of string.
Related to that, I always thought that Sunday was the day God rested and that it was the reason it was holy. Except that the resting day is Saturday (hence celebrated by the Jews, while Muslims celebrate the day man was created : Friday), and Sunday is the day of Christ resurrection (nothing to do with Genesis). Hence the last day of the biblical week is indeed Saturday.
From wiki: For early Christians, Sunday, as well as being the first day of the week, was also the spiritual eighth day, as it symbolised the new world created after Christ's resurrection. The concept of the eighth day was symbolic only and had no effect on the use of the seven-day week for calendar purposes. Justin Martyr wrote: "the first day after the Sabbath, remaining the first of all the days, is called, however, the eighth, according to the number of all the days of the cycle, and [yet] remains the first".[4] This does not set up an eight-day week, since the eighth day is also considered to be the first day of the next cycle (i.e., not the following day).

I'm not religious, so I wonder if that plays a part. Well, I was kind of in primary school, but even then I never thought about it like 'oh, I started out the week by going to church'.
It is, fuck anyone who says otherwise
Hi-five! Thanks for making me feel better guys. :)

1 in 10 are lefties.

I'm one of them, and I use left hand for my fork.
I do this even though I am left-handed.
*Lefty high-fives*
I write with my left, but my handedness is all over the place, and I managed to place utensils in the same hands as everybody else, too.

Question: Which side do you put your watch/bracelet on? I wear it on my left wrist, which other people seem to do as well. It seems illogical to 'impede' the side you write with, but it just doesn't feel right on the other side. :\

Tesseract

Banned
A word that probably a huge majority of people everywhere always fuck up: Prelude.

Correctly Pronounced: prel-yood

How most say it: pree-lood or pray-lood (this second one is semi-correct depending on your nation)

no way am i ever pronouncing it prel-yood. pray-lood for life.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Rachel (the 'Friends' one) taught me that the last name of Ralph Lauren is pronounced like the girls first name. wtf

leadbelly

Banned
*Lefty high-fives*
I write with my left, but my handedness is all over the place, and I managed to place utensils in the same hands as everybody else, too.

Question: Which side do you put your watch/bracelet on? I wear it on my left wrist, which other people seem to do as well. It seems illogical to 'impede' the side you write with, but it just doesn't feel right on the other side. :\

I don't wear a watch or any Jewellery. Who really wears watches anymore? And Jewellery has no purpose.

I think when I was a kid I put my watch on my left hand also.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
For some reason I used to think the word 'abysmal' was pronounced AB-sym-al. I must have just misread the spelling of the word......every time. There's a still a part of my that wants to pronounce it like that sometimes and I have to catch myself.

Who really wears watches anymore?

Really?

I mean, really?

NinjaBoiX

Is this going to be like the thread where people were saying stuff like the name Craig rhymes with the word stag?
I've always heard it as Creg. Like, really? Creg? How the fuck did you look at the word Craig, and think, "you know what? Screw the 'ay' sound, I'm gonna throw 'e' in there instead. Creg. Wow, that's much better!"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Seems to me not many people do actually. The time is on so many devices you have on you or use (computer) it has become kind of irrelevant.

Watches are always with you and still quicker to the time on. Also battery life is not likely to just die on you. They still have advantages so they're irrelevant just yet.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to me not many people do actually. The time is on so many devices you have on you or use (computer) it has become kind of irrelevant.
The day I put my cell phone in a pouch was the day I started wearing my watch again. Feels good man.

leadbelly

Banned
Watches are always with you and still quicker to the time on. Also battery life is not likely to just die on you. They still have advantages so they're irrelevant just yet.

Yeah. I'm exaggerating, but the time is everywhere these days. Wasn't really debating their usefulness only that it seems to me not as many people buy them now. I just haven't been interested in one in ages.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah. I'm exaggerating, but the time is everywhere these days. Wasn't really debating their usefulness only that it seems to me not as many people buy them now. I just haven't been interested in one in ages.

Watches aren't bought only because of convenience. They are bought as wardrobe accessories, they have been a big part of men's fashion for decades.

Besides, i think people who pull out their flavor-of-the-month android phone every ten minutes to check the time, look way more ridiculous than people wearing wristwatches.

Undubbed

I've procounced(and spelled) Combinotorics as Combinatronics for quite a while now....

Felt dumb when I actually bothered to look at the spelling.

maladroid

I don't wear a watch or any Jewellery. Who really wears watches anymore? And Jewellery has no purpose.

I think when I was a kid I put my watch on my left hand also.
Well, I wear a watch. A combination of having the resources to finally get it fixed and an increased awareness that everybody around seems to be staring down at their smartphones. It probably doesn't make a difference, but I feel it's more polite (well, less rude) to glance at a watch than to flick out a phone and check the time there.

Anyways, back on topic: Buying shoes too big for my feet. When I was growing up, my mum would always worry that I'd grow too big for my shoes too quickly, so we'd always get them with 'allowance'. Even though I stopped growing ages ago, I still buy them with allowance. Not really an amazing revelation, but I hadn't really noticed until I was shopping in a foreign country and these two shop assistants (who assumed I couldn't understand them) were talking about me behind my back. I could probably get away with wearing three pairs of sports socks while wearing my comfy work shoes, which probably wouldn't be such a bad thing since winter's just around the corner.

Also, I just realised how to use one of these things:
0KZc9.jpg

ultron87

I think I whistle weird. I put my tongue against the roof of my mouth and push the air through there to make the note.

Most people use their lips in some manner.

bengraven

Until my late teens I said "in-frayr-d" when saying infrared. I knew some people said "infra-red" but I thought they were two different things. :/

bengraven

I love when the British get upset because "Americans have ruined their language" but don't bitch about Australians, South Africans, etc. I guess the American colony is the least favorite child, so it gets all the abuse.

Poor us, we should talk to a teacher or something and report our parents.

Senior year in high school I heard a friend say "cun-sci-ence" in a speech. It took me a while to realize he meant to say conscience (conchienze). We never let him live that down.

Valravn

cache [kash]
I always pronounced it as kashsee, for some reason.

Im not doing this wrong but i see these words getting mixed up a lot here in our organization. When they talk about a new application going LIFE! Hehe.

maladroid

What is that?
It's a 'zinger'(?). It's a retractable id/security card holder thing.

How would you use one of these in not the correct manner?
I initially had it connected to my lanyard and wore it around my neck. After that to my pants, which is okay on Fridays, but not so much with my non-Friday pants. :\ It's currently on my main belt. It'll probably break that, too, but the thing didn't come with instructions, so I dunno what I'm doing.

edit:
cache [kash]
I always pronounced it as kashsee, for some reason.
It isn't pronounced cay-sh? :S

Chuckpebble

GAF, I've come here to admit to you all that I secretly judge people who pronounce escape and especially with an X. I'm hoping that I can move on from this and become a better person.

Also, is it foy-URR or foy-AYE. I feel like an ass when I try to say the latter.

RELAYER

Banned
Spontaneity.

I've heard people say it as "spon-ta-NEW-ity" and "spon-ta-NEY-ity"
Still not sure which is right, I just change every other time I say it.

Another one that bothers me is "interesting".

Some people go "IN-ter-REST-ing" and then other people go "IN-tri-STING"

It's one thing to change pronunciation, but I'm really confused when people say the same word but with different amount of syllables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom