• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: I've been saying / doing it wrong all my life - age

Status
Not open for further replies.

m@gic

I had been spelling February - Febuary for about 22 years.

I honestly have no idea how this happened. I still prefer my way.

I use to live in Leicester street and was promptly corrected by my elders at the time that its pronounced Lester not Lei- cester. I still think my version should be right.

I use to live in Leicester street and was promptly corrected by my elders at the time that its pronounced Lester not Lei- cester. I still think my version should be right.

This is how I feel about worcestershire and gloucester being woo-ster-sheer and gloss-ter. It seems like people just skip entire syllables with these words. I still want to pronounce them phonetically.

Cipherr

'reegent' is for someone who's elected to run something, like a university.
're-agent' is something you use in a chemical process.

They're both right.

I remember the people in our teamspeak when we first starting playing wow mispronouncing Reagent.

"I need to find a Reegent vendor"

I was like, wtf? Its Re-agent. Same with melee. Folks mispronounce the shit out of that for some reason.

Kusagari

I say hyperbole out loud the right way, but always read it in my head as hyper bowl.

Same. To this day, I always start to pronounce it as hyper bowl and then have to catch myself.

The actual way it's pronounced just seems so...wrong.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
"participated"

Fuck that word.

I could say it fine up until one day when I random thought, "participated, that's a weird word". Then I kept trying to say it in my head but failed each time. Something broke inside of me that day, bros. </3

CLEEK

This is how I feel about worcestershire and gloucester being woo-ster-sheer and gloss-ter. It seems like people just skip entire syllables with these words. I still want to pronounce them phonetically.

The purpose of the English pronunciation of these places is to easily spot tourists and laugh at them.

Numpt3

I thought meme was pronounced 'meh-may' untill recently. Now I know that it is pronounced 'meem' I feel like a fool.

Laugh at me gaf.

I held a dinner fork incorrectly for 24 years when I eat a meal (i.e. steak).. i held it in a 'kids' way where the curved bit of the fork is facing down when it should be the other way.

What I did before:

fork+wrong.jpg

This is how it should be done properly.

9629460-hungry-person-hand-holding-fork-knife-on-food-plate.jpg

I only learnt my lesson when my gf said I held my fork in a weird way. Why didn't anyone tell me before?!

m@gic

If it's any consolation I didn't realize it until I was like 17. No idea how that happened either.

This does make me feel a little better haha. Thanks

I think it could be to do with the fact that as humans we read the start and end of a word. The middle bit isnt so important.

Alx

I held a dinner fork incorrectly for 24 years when I eat a meal (i.e. steak).. i held it in a 'kids' way where the curved bit of the fork is facing down when it should be the other way.

What I did before:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mS8UxWB_9JE/THySVKRa9lI/AAAAAAAAB3w/mD-BfUKs9Ew/s1600/fork+wrong.jpg[img]

[img]http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/ia64/ia641105/ia64110500052/9629460-hungry-person-hand-holding-fork-knife-on-food-plate.jpg[img]

I only learnt my lesson when my gf said I held my fork in a weird way. Why didn't anyone tell me before?![/QUOTE]

Sorry to disappoint you, but the second image is still wrong : you're supposed to hold your fork in the left hand, and the knife in the right one. :)

As for myself, I was surprised and a bit ashamed to discover that I had been singing the French national anthem wrong since I was a kid (not that I sing it very frequently anyway) : the "refrain" is in two parts, the first one with "Marchez, marchez..." (let [U]you[/U] march) and the second one "Marchons, marchons..." (let [U]us[/U] march). I only knew the second one.

I pronounced advocate "a-vo-di-cate" up until last year when someone corrected me during a speech. Oh boy was that embarrassing.

People who say "jif" for gif annoy the crap out of me.

Muskweeto

are people here saying melee is only pronounced may-lay in the US?

Because I've heard British people say it like that too, and I've also heard American people say mee-lee.

I think words like that are simply region specific and doesn't only vary by country or continent.

leadbelly

Banned

You do?

I imagine it must be quite a mouthful pronouncing it wor-cester-shire sauce. :p

dejay

Banned
I used to read antipodes as "Anti poads", when it's actually pronounced "Anne tip oh dees". Then again, that word is so obscure nobody cares.

I just looked up antipodes on Wikipedia. I knew it as a term the English liked to use to describe Australia, but it literally means a place on Earth diametrically opposite any other. The thing that just blew my mind after reading the article is that only 4% of land is antipodal to land - the antipode for 96% of land is ocean.

I used to pronounce ID (Doom guys, not the mind thing), as I.D. Not "id".

To this day I still pronounce it I.D. I don't remember actually having said it out loud to anyone though - so the pronunciation is only incorrect in my head.

There is only one English and it is our language. The one you guys pretend exists is not recognized by anyone of consequence. Like I said, treaty of Ghent.

What does that have to do with anything? At all.

Yep. The world speaks, reads, and writes American english.

Only one tiny European island, whose only relevance in the last 200 years or so was some wedding for its monarchs (lol), still clings to a shadow of its former glory

Damn, now I feel bad for them :\ Let's let them have aluminium.

Yeah no. I'm pretty sure Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, all of Europe and a bunch of other countries would like to have a word with you about that.

maladroid

Not a mispronunciation, but up until last year, I thought Monday was the first day of the week. I think to back up my claim I cited the song 'Friday I'm in Love'. Still don't know how to properly use the terms 'This Tuesday' or 'Next Wednesday'.

For the majority of my life I'm pretty sure I spelt Michael as 'Micheal'. And one actually related to saying things: I still sometimes say 'corn' beef instead of corned beef.

Also, tuna=tyunah, Tuesday=Tyuesday, puma=pyuma. Herb=herb. Melbourne=Melbu(r)n. :p

MIMIC

Banned
I thought meme was pronounced 'meh-may' untill recently. Now I know that it is pronounced 'meem' I feel like a fool.

Laugh at me gaf.

I thought it was pronounced "mim" until recently.

What I did before:

fork+wrong.jpg

9629460-hungry-person-hand-holding-fork-knife-on-food-plate.jpg

I only learnt my lesson when my gf said I held my fork in a weird way. Why didn't anyone tell me before?!

Haha, my dad saw me doing that when I was younger and was like, "WTF are you doing?" lol

I thought whore was pronounced "war" until about senior year of high school.

also though sonofabitch was one word :p

LOL. That's funny :)

Kyuur

Apparently you are supposed to use your fork in your left hand, and your knife in your right. I learned this a few years ago when someone made a comment on it and I started noticing that everyone around me did this. But I don't give a shit, RIGHT HANDED FORK FOREVER!

Note: It may be knife in dominant hand, as I am right handed as are most people I know.

Apparently you are supposed to use your fork in your left hand, and your knife in your right. I learned this a few years ago when someone made a comment on it and I started noticing that everyone around me did this. But I don't give a shit, RIGHT HANDED FORK FOREVER!

Note: It may be knife in dominant hand, as I am right handed as are most people I know.

1 in 10 are lefties.

I'm one of them, and I use left hand for my fork.

leadbelly

Banned

I do this even though I am left-handed.

Shadybiz

Huh. Well, I suppose I've been saying "aluminum" wrong my entire life. Damn.

I have a friend who says "supposively" instead of "supposedly." Drives me up a wall; the man's 31.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Not all my life, but when I was reading the Harry Potter books I was ready Hermione and Hermeee-own.

Prior to the release of the films, I was mocked heavily by my friend's family because of how I pronounced her name (I said it in the correct manner, as replicated in the film). They called her Hermy-one, just like Obi-Wan. And they mocked me for it.

I took a class on Chinese History in college, and discovering that "Zhou" is actually pronounced "Jo" made me feel terrible about what I'd been doing to the names of all my Chinese friends.

"Sun Tsu" = "Sunzi"

Fucking Jesuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom