• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just realized I've been pronouncing "warez" wrong my whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I found myself confused by this in the late 90s, but I'm pretty sure I got it sorted out by the turn of the millennium.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Vote for our site in these eight top 10 warez site rankings and you can download your file

Anyone remember The Warez Song? I discovered it back when I was kicking around Hotline servers in the late 90s. There were two other versions besides the one I linked.

He pronounces it Juarez and I was always like whyyyyyyyy.

MultiCore

Oh god, I've been correcting people about this for decades.

It's aggravating to hear them continue to say it wrong.

I mean, if you knew what it was you were getting into, you'd immediately understand the combination of 'leet speak' and underground crime referenced in the choice of word and the spelling.

It's "look at the context 101".

Don't get me started on the pronunciation of Diablo either.

TL;DR: People don't speak English, or any other language, well at all.

Zyrox

Like...what? How can you look at this word and think "Juarez"? Especially given its meaning and the context it's used in. This does not compute. I feel like my brain is melting.
Okay, part of the brain melting comes from it being hot as fuck here, but still

subrock

I heard a friend say Juarez the other day and it took every fibre of my being not to correct him. Also when people pronounce doge as doshe. It's dowge.

Meier

I guess I can see how someone would have said it wrong, but "Juarez" is not what I would have expected. I heard people say it like "Warz" (Wars with a z) in the past. I've always said it correctly apparently.

I have never heard of this word.

Me neither. OP is obviously drunk.

Dude.. Mimic, you're roughly my age. I don't know how old the other guy is but how can someone on a game forum who is nearly 30 or in their 30s not know the term warez?!

Oh, I guess this was sarcasm.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I refuse to believe any English speakers thought warez was somehow pronounced Juarez. That's the most counter-intuitive thing ever.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I remember way back in the day, a friend of mine said "wah-rez" — I just laughed in his face. I couldn't believe an otherwise smart individual could think that's how the word was pronounced.

Lothar

Banned
I remember way back in the day, a friend of mine said "wah-rez" — I just laughed in his face. I couldn't believe an otherwise smart individual could think that's how the word was pronounced.

That is how it's pronounced, period. It has a 'Z' at the end. Anyone who says 'Where's' is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom