• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: I've been saying / doing it wrong all my life - age

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercviper

The best part is that if anyone believes it they won't be able to confirm it since gullible is an idiomatic derivation (from gulls, cause they 'swallow' everything) and so it's not listed in dictionaries.

Okay, that one almost got me. :lol

and to contribute to the thread: All intents and purposes, not all intensive purposes.

When did people start pronouncing it with a hard 'g'? I had never heard that until recently. It's always been 'jif'.
I reserve 'jif' for peanut butter.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Like "ruse" without the "se"

No, not really like that, either.

... then what is it?

リュウ lol

English letters don't really have the means to convey the Japanese pronunciation. Especially the short 'r' sound that we don't have in English, coupled with the quick transition from the 'ry' to the 'oo'. In Japanese, it's technically two syllables, but to an English ear it might sound more like one or one and a half syllables.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I think it does. This is the argument that the people who mispronounce "meme" use, and I don't agree with it, either.

"Correct" pronunciation is oftentimes more of a subjective determination than a strictly logical. That's why

The difference is "meme" is a word whereas "GIF" is an acronym. How you pronounce the acronym comes down to preference. Since technically it's pronounced "gee eye eff" you can either take the sound of the "G" from the word it comes from, graphic, or take it from the sound of the letter "G", "gee". That's why I feel both pronunciations can be considered correct but I still feel if you're going to pronounce it like a word then you do it like it's spelled, like "gift" without the "t".

Can you think of another example in english were "gif" is pronounced "jif"?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The best part is that if anyone believes it they won't be able to confirm it since gullible is an idiomatic derivation (from gulls, cause they 'swallow' everything) and so it's not listed in dictionaries.
Who are you and can I subscribe to your church

リュウ lol

English letters don't really have the means to convey the Japanese pronunciation. Especially the short 'r' sound that we don't have in English, coupled with the quick transition from the 'ry' to the 'oo'. In Japanese, it's technically two syllables, but to an English ear it might sound more like one or one and a half syllables.
Is it two morae or three?

bengraven

I think it does. This is the argument that the people who mispronounce "meme" use, and I don't agree with it, either.

"Correct" pronunciation is oftentimes more of a subjective determination than a strictly logical. That's why

I say "MEM". I always thought the word was drawn from "phenomenon" and "MEM" sounded more like that. "MEEM" is weird hearing from a grown man.

But like you said, pronunciation is subject to change and culturally things change.

When did people start pronouncing it with a hard 'g'? I had never heard that until recently. It's always been 'jif'.

I have always said GIF and would never pronounce it "JIF".

JIF already had a definition.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I say "MEM". I always thought the word was drawn from "phenomenon" and "MEM" sounded more like that. "MEEM" is weird hearing from a grown man.

But like you said, pronunciation is subject to change and culturally things change.
The word is meant to evoke (phonetically and conceptually) the counterpart "gene."

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
"a lot much more better"

used to use that series of words and thought there was nothing wrong.

"yeah, my bike is a lot much more better than his"

QI told me how to pronounce Vincent van Gogh. Other than that one time, I have never heard that name pronounced the correct way ever.

Cranzor

I always think it's weird when people pronounce gif with a hard g or like "jiff". I've always pronounced the letters individually, like gee-eye-eff. I know I'm wrong now but I still say it.

mantidor

I always think it's weird when people pronounce gif with a hard g or like "jiff". I've always pronounced the letters individually, like gee-eye-eff. I know I'm wrong now but I still say it.

Spelling it is obviously going to always be correct, is an acronym after all.

Magni

"There are two words of the same spelling, one borrowed from French and the other from Italian. It used to be the case that the one from French that means a person’s strong point was pronounced as one syllable (/fɒːt/ ).
But the influence of the other word, which retained a stronger link to its original Italian pronunciation, is too strong and is winning. It is now thought acceptable in Britain to say the two words the same way (/fɒːtɪ/), and the new edition of Chambers and the New Oxford English Dictionary both say so. This has reached the point where I have seen the word, in the sense of “strong point”, mistakenly spelled forté, presumably in imitation of café. The older pronunciation is still heard, however, and some people would consider the version in two syllables for the word meaning “strong point” to be wrong.

The problem I have with the French "forte" is that in French, it's "fort", not "forte". "C'est mon point fort". "Forte" is something else, and pronounced differently (FOH-rtuh)

i always giggle at native english speakers triying to pronounce french words. even the snobby guy in tv/movies that corrects others is doing it wrong most of the times.

That Google Googles or whatever they're called, "mozzio" or however he pronounced "monsieur" smh

Also, last night's HIMYM had Robin pretend to be French and use a masculin form to describe herself...

mantidor

I was surprised to hear in movies how "fascism" is pronounced, like fa-sh-ism, is that normal for "sc" spelling?

Actually I think it is, thats how "unconscious" is pronounced, however I never actually noticed until "fascism", which I always pronounced like in spanish: "fas-cism".

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I was surprised to hear in movies how "fascism" is pronounced, like fa-sh-ism, is that normal for "sc" spelling?

Actually I think it is, thats how "unconscious" is pronounced, however I never actually noticed until "fascism", which I always pronounced like in spanish: "fas-cism".

Pronounce it how you want. Some people can be real facists about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom