• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: I've been saying / doing it wrong all my life - age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tremas

I always thought quixotic was pronounced like the character's name from which it's derived, as kee-hoe-tik. Alas no, it's pronounced kwik-zot-ik.

The guy from the Hawaiian punch drinks doesn't have crazy red antler hair, its a red straw hat
images

Misleading image.
Wasn't until I saw a cgi version of him recently that I realized.
img-hawaiian-punch-300x300_193911865160.png

I remember as a kid playing GoldenEye on the N64 pronouncing Rendezvous as "Rendesvuss" hahaha. Good times. Once I realized how bad I was mispronouncing that word I became a vocabulary geek.

Language never stops changing. Including pronunciation.

So don't say you are pronouncing it wrong. Just say you are pronouncing it "more advanced."

;)

I really am having a problem understanding, is there seriously no such thing as... just plain English? sorry to nag on but my world is crashing and burning before my eyes.

Do you think English was delivered to humans via some divine entity and remained static?

No. Language has and always will change. There isn't just "plain English" with all variants being incorrect derivatives. At least not from a linguistic standpoint.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I had this happen to me a lot because growing up, I had a midwestern accent in a community of people largely with deep south accents. When I would hear words spoken that I'd previously only read, if it sounded different than my pronunciation I would automatically deem the local pronunciation wrong. There were a lot of cases where this was appropriate ("warsh" for "wash", "orl" for "oil", etc.), but it tripped me up a few times.

Probably the most major example for me is the word "subtle", which I always pronounced "sub-tull". When people around me would say "suttle", it just sounded incredibly redneck to me and I refused to pronounce it that way. Fast-forward to college and everyone around me regardless of accent tells me that I pronounce the word wrong, which was pretty embarrassing. I'm still in a state of disbelief that "suttle" is correct because "subtle" and "subtlety" still sound so much better to me with the B pronounced and come off the tongue more pleasantly :(

mantidor

I also have problems with quite a few words, some pronunciations are strange.

Of course, I am not a native speaker, you people admitting not knowing your own language is kind of baffling. I guess English pronunciation is a whole different beast than Spanish.

Zona

For some reason I always pronounce horizontal wrong. I always say it horizon- (as in where the land meets the sky) al. This is despite knowing the way I say it is wrong. I go into the sentence thinking "Don't get it wrong, don't get it wrong, don't get it wrong" then forget which ways right and end up saying it incorrectly at least once.

Jaffaboy

I think I saw the word 'hyperbole' first on GAF, and for about 2 years thought it was pronounced 'hyper bowl'.

Hi per bo lay?

bengraven

Also, I don't give a fuck, but it's RY-YU. I know it's wrong, I'm aware, but it's too much of a habit to change. Game came out when I was 8 for god's sake.

I say the right name for everyone else now, but mostly because my original pronunciations were horrible.

Guile - friend called him "Gweel" and I called "gy-lee" for the longest time.
Dhalsim - we called him "dal-ism"
Sagat - "saggot" of course
Blanka - "blank-uh"

I think I saw the word 'hyperbole' first on GAF, and for about 2 years thought it was pronounced 'hyper bowl'.

Hi per bo lay?
Hie-PER-bow-lee

it's greek.

Also, I don't give a fuck, but it's RY-YU. I know it's wrong, I'm aware, but it's too much of a habit to change. Game came out when I was 8 for god's sake.

I say the right name for everyone else now, but mostly because my original pronunciations were horrible.

Guile - friend called him "Gweel" and I called "gy-lee" for the longest time.
Dhalsim - we called him "dal-ism"
Sagat - "saggot" of course
Blanka - "blank-uh"
You mean "Ree-you?" I thought "Rye-you" was wrong.

Relatedly: is it A-kum-a or a-KUM-a? I usually say the second, but I hear people say the first. I think I'll switch to "Gouki."

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Hi per bo lay?

First encountered it on the internet long ago as well and thought the same. It's hi-PER-bo-lee btw.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I had a philosophy teacher than pronounced it like that. :(

I know that GIF is pronounced 'jif', but there's no way I'm going to change after all these years.

No, it's pronounced like "gift" without the "t". It stands for "Graphic Interchange Format" so you pronounce the "g" like in "graphic". People who say "jif" piss me off.

The one I got wrong for a long time was Epiphone guitars from Gibson. It is pronounced like it's spelled "Epi-phone" but when I saw the name in high school I wrongly thought that was how you spelled "Epiphany" so I was pronouncing it like that for years.

There is one that I've heard a number of times recently so amazingly it seems like a common thing but I've been hearing people add an "h" to the end of the word "height", so they pronounce it as "width and heighth". Weird.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What the fucks a dialect?

An alien from Doctor Who.
This thread makes my laughter muscles work!
Yeah no. I'm pretty sure Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, all of Europe and a bunch of other countries would like to have a word with you about that.
Uh oh, Korey, you've offended the resident sheila. Leave the premises if you want your head to remain on your shoulders.

I'd like to thank this thread for pointing out the made-up word Ghoti to me. It's funny, because while I agree with the point it's making about English orthography, the word itself is nonsense linguistically and would never, ever be able to be pronounced that way following the rules we do have.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I guess they piss you off because they are right and you are wrong?

Apparently both pronunciations are considered correct although the creator pronounces it "jif" so he's stupid. I'll never pronounce it that way because it makes no sense considering the acronym. Does he also say "jraphics"? Iiiiii don't think so.

Gif it is!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Apparently both pronunciations are considered correct although the creator pronounces it "jif" so he's stupid.

The person who coins the word has the final say in its pronunciation, as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe the hard 'g' form of the word is "correct" per se, but if folks are more comfortable saying it that way, then I understand.

I know that feel OP. A few words that I've pronounced incorrectly for years are: segue, awry and homeopathy.
And the jif vs. gif argument reminds me of gigawatt vs jiggawatt debate.

StudioTan

The person who coins the word has the final say in its pronunciation, as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe the hard 'g' form of the word is "correct" per se, but if folks are more comfortable saying it that way, then I understand.

Nah, I don't feel inventing the format gives him the right to say how you pronounce the acronym, especially since his pronunciation is completely illogical.

(On a side note, since I keep getting my spelling corrected by my browser, how come "pronounce" has an "o" after the first "n" yet "pronunciation" doesn't? English is really stupid sometimes.)

bengraven

Hie-PER-bow-lee

it's greek.

You mean "Ree-you?" I thought "Rye-you" was wrong.

Relatedly: is it A-kum-a or a-KUM-a? I usually say the second, but I hear people say the first. I think I'll switch to "Gouki."

REE-you is correct. RY-YOU is wrong. I still say RY-YOU though and won't stop any time soon. Probably because my real first name is Ryan.

Also, it's "ESS-N-E-S" not "SNESS".

Sobriquet

Nah, I don't feel inventing the format gives him the right to say how you pronounce the acronym, especially since his pronunciation is completely illogical.

When did people start pronouncing it with a hard 'g'? I had never heard that until recently. It's always been 'jif'.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nah, I don't feel inventing the format gives him the right to say how you pronounce the acronym

I think it does. This is the argument that the people who mispronounce "meme" use, and I don't agree with it, either.

especially since his pronunciation is completely illogical.
"Correct" pronunciation is oftentimes more of a subjective determination than a strictly logical. That's why

English is really stupid sometimes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom